z

Young Writers Society

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 am
ReasonIsTreason says...

Okay, first off, I read this in French. I usually like to read books in their original language, but I happened to find Le Bizarre Incident du Chien Pendant La Nuit while I was cleaning my room and just decided to read it :)

Christopher Boone is 15, a math wizz, hates yellow and brown, and knows he'll have a Very Good Day when he sees five red cars in a row. When one day he discovers his neighbour's dog Wellington dead, he decides to investigate.

Since the book is written from an autistic boy's point of view, it made me understand so much about this condition. I smiled and frowned many times while reading this story and I fell for the character.

Short, simple, but a very good read.

Has anybody else read it?
"Oh my God. I care so little I almost passed out."

-Dr. Cox

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:26 am
GryphonFledgling says...

I loved this book. It was so short and sweet and yet so complex that I wanted to cry sometimes.

I agree that this was a huge insight to autism. I know some autistic people and this was a huge insight to how their minds might work. The style was great - so simplistic and yet profound. It really did ring true of my experiences with autistic people.

Plus the story was endearing. I just loved the whole investigation.

Very good read. I highly recommend it, though it does have a little mature content for people who worry about that kind of thing...

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:41 pm
niteowl says...

I agree. Great book. And just for the record, he has Asperger's, not autism. I think Asperger's is similar to autism, but less severe.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:16 pm
Alainna says...

Aspergers is a form of Autism. :D

I really liked this book as well. I think the way it was written was such an insight into how an autistic mind works, especially with the whole prime numbered chapters. I really liked the tone to the book - it was very.....naive? Maybe not the right word to use.

Haddon's other book - 'A spot of bother' - isn't as good.

I'd definitely recommend Curious Incident to those who haven't read it before.

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

I’ll paraphrase Thoreau here... Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.
— Christopher Johnson McCandless