z

Young Writers Society

Young Adult Fiction

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:22 pm
Rei says...

Recently, I attended a discussion of Canadian children's authors, illustrators, and book sellers on the genre that is generally categorized as Young Adult or teen fiction. One of the book sellers pointed out the sorry state that he considers Canadian Young Adult fiction to be in. American YA fiction is in a similar situation. He thought that authors are not taking enough risks, are not pushing the edge, and that many authors seem to underestimate what teens can handle and are able to read.

The one point I do agree with is that authors and publishers (and film-makers) often underestimate teens. I started reading books that are considered adult novels when I was fourteen, and until I discovered that some of the best writers write for teens, I hardly ever read YA novels. My mother was reading adult novels when she was twelve. In fact, she was not allowed to get into a film adaptation of a book she had read because it had a lot of graphic violence (despite the fact that the book was much more extreme). It really makes me wonder what authors of teen fiction are thinking. Do I have to read books that insult my intellignce simply because I am interested in stories about teenagers?

The point I had a problem with is the concept of taking risks and pushing the edge. Sure, there is a place for books that take risks and push the edge, but why do writers need to do it on purpose? If writers are contantly pushing the edge, eventually they are just going to fall off. I think a good writer does not write a fictional story or a book with the intention of taking risks, doing something different, or pushing the edge because they feel they should, or because they think they need to address a certain issue that is important to teens. I believe that a good teen author writes a teen novel because they have an idea they want to explore or an idea for a story, and the character happens to be a teenager.

During the discussion, one woman felt the need to ask why we need YA fiction if her twelve-year-old can read adult novels. This, I believe, is a perfect example of age descrimination. She was almost saying that teens don't need to have books about themselves. First of all, not all twelve-year-olds can read at an adult level. People who do not have much experience with many teens seem to forget that we are people too, as well as the fact that we are all different. Besides, it has nothing to do with what we are capable of reading. It is about reading books that have meaning to us. People who are no longer children, but are not quite adults, have a very different life, and usually a very different view of the world than children and adults.

A Canadian publisher called Annick Press talks about having "an authentic teen voice" and "the real teen experience" in its submission guidelines for teen fiction. My question is, what is an authentic teen voice, and what can be defined as the real teen experience? Aren't all teens different? Doesn't every person, regardless of their age, have their own voice? How do they know that something can be called a real teen experience? This, I think, is the problem with most teen fiction. The need to define what a teenager is, and determine what a teen is able to read, not the lack of risk-taking.

What makes something teen fiction? Simple. It has a teenaged character. Book sellers have a tendency to group Young Adult fiction and middle reader fiction as only two genres, when in fact they are just as diverse as adult books. It has all the same genres, right? Something I find quite interesting is that many of the authors I read will be shelved as teen or middle reader books under one publication, as shelved as adult novels in another, or in a different store. The Lost Years of Merlin, for example. It's published as a middle-reader series in the Canadian book store chain, Indigo, but as a teen novel in a local Toronto store, Mabel's Fables. Yet in the Toronto libraries, it's in the adult fantasy section as well as the teens and middle-readers section.

I believe that there should not be such a strong distiction between Young Adult and adult fiction. Writers should not worry about the age demographic when writing a book unless s/he is writing for an audience who is still learning how to read. Just write a story. If you want to write about a teen, use a teenaged character, and everything else that makes it meaningful to teens will come naturally.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

685 Reviews

Sun May 01, 2005 1:34 am
Rei says...

This week, I have come to a very simple conclusion about Canadian publishers who believe they are publishing books for teens. They suck.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon May 09, 2005 7:54 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

I have started reading adult novels because teen books were not even challenging and didn't make me think.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon May 09, 2005 11:26 pm
bcain says...

You have some very good points, Reichieru.

I was reading YA books when i was 10 for crying out loud, but there are some YA authors I still read because they didn't act like there was an age limit to my brain.
Maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left.

531 Reviews

Reviews: 531
Tue May 10, 2005 5:19 am
Caligula's Launderette says...

I agree...I think I've read everything worth a damn in all the school libraries...when I was about 12 or 13 I started reading adult books because I wasn't being pushed mentally and YA books didn't interest me.

But there is an exception I have some very favorite authors that publish as Children's and YA authors and so I end of trudging to the back, the kids section of the barnes and noble or borders for their books.

Authors like Lloyd Alexander, who at first read seems harmless and pretty much for young kids, but if you look deeper really appeals to an older group.

meh...I think YA authors should push the barrier, but I doubt the publishing nitwits are going to let them.

CL
Fraser: Stop stealing the blanket.
[Diefenbaker whines]
Fraser: You're an Arctic Wolf, for God's sake.
(Due South)

Hatter: Do I need a reason to help a pretty girl in a very wet dress? (Alice)

Got YWS?

1275 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1275
Wed May 11, 2005 1:01 am
niteowl says...

I like YA fiction. I don't WANT to be challenged or made to think too much in the books I choose to read. So YA fiction and I are a perfect match. I even end up dipping into the kids section from time to time. Just one question, Rei: what is middle reader fiction?

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat May 21, 2005 3:12 am
Sam says...

I don't know...

I hate that a good percentage of 'teen' books are written for girls. And I hate it that most of them have the same plot. there are only like...4 teen books that I have read that followed an actual plotline. TEA MEAT ON THEM!

About a year ago I started reading adult novels just because I was sick of the teen ones...including The DaVinci Code, The Nanny Diaries, Angels and Demons, and State of Fear. Good stuff, man!

Teen literature seriously needs to change. Soon.
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

685 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2005 7:17 pm
Rei says...

You just don't know where to look. There is a lot of good stuff out there. For YA novels, you have to look to the small presses, particularly stuff that doesn't make it to the bestseller lists, and books from other countries.

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Mon May 23, 2005 7:25 pm
DarkerSarah says...

I'm not much into YA fiction, but I read a book a little while ago called A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. It wasn't the most astounding piece of literature I've ever read, but it was an enjoyable read.
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones...
Let me go if you don't love me" ~The Decembrists "Engine Driver"

685 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2005 7:44 pm
Rei says...

I still hold to the fact that the ultimate YA novel is The Outsiders, for reasons not the least of whihc is that it was written by a sixteen-year-old.

*seeths with jealousy*

137 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2005 7:47 pm
DarkerSarah says...

*jaw drops* Hinton was SIXTEEN?!?!?

*seethes with jealousy, too*

Wow...I've always loved that book, it's so sad and so real. I even liked the movie (Soda Pop sure was yummy!)

-Sarah
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction

685 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:35 pm
Rei says...

I know. But the fact that she was sixteen is one of the reasons it was so real. Besides, it was much easier to get published in the 60's than it is now.

1258 Reviews

Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:32 am
Sam says...

A Great and Terrible Beauty...great book, bad ending. I wholly agree with you.

- Demetri Martin

137 Reviews

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:05 am
DarkerSarah says...

Sam, I think that the book is going to be a series, which accounts for the "bad ending."
"And I am a writer
writer of fiction

1258 Reviews

Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:48 am
Sam says...

It is a series...

*shudder*

- Demetri Martin

Doubt thou the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love.
— "Hamlet," William Shakespeare