z

Young Writers Society

YWS Recent Books Debate

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:39 am
HeadInTheClouds says...

the Sight by David Clement-Davies. I doubt many people have heard of it, but it's a great read. If you haven't read it I'd highly recommend it.
If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

Captain Jack is back May 25!

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:20 pm
Cade says...

OMG YES The Perks of Being a Wallflower! That was pretty much the best thing in teen angst literature...ever.

Not sure about the Da Vinci Code. It wasn't a great book. The ideas it presented, while nothing new, were what made the novel. The problem is that people actually believed what Dan Brown said in the book, which is insane. My dad's a social studies teacher, and he has his entire rant about how the Da Vinci Code is FICTION, not NON-FICTION, but he still has students who challenge what's taught in class because of the stupid book.
In terms of controversy, it was an important book of our time, but in terms of being good literature? Noooo.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 pm
Shriek says...

I would like to nominate Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Yeah, I'm aware that the book has been branded with the YA label -- something many of us "literaries" look down upon. Despite this, I think it's an extraordinary read, and feel it has real staying power. It was also a New York Times and Publishers Weekly bestseller, if that should help boost your opinion of it.
i thought you were shallow, but then i fell in deep.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Shriek wrote:I would like to nominate Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Yeah, I'm aware that the book has been branded with the YA label -- something many of us "literaries" look down upon. Despite this, I think it's an extraordinary read, and feel it has real staying power. It was also a New York Times and Publishers Weekly bestseller, if that should help boost your opinion of it.

So was Eragon, if I'm not mistaken?! :P Just ignore me, though, I've never heard of this book, and it's obviously not of the same yurgh standard as that! I think my point is that the fact it's best-selling has nothing to do with the quality. But anyway, I'm splitting hairs here. And rambling. I'll shut up now!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:20 pm
EstelPax says...

I'm supporting Star by Star and Song of the Lioness quartet as as Eldest.
And I like Daine for your info not Alanna.

Lanna
Hope for Peace

196 Reviews

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 pm
Shriek says...

KazSmurf wrote:
Shriek wrote:I would like to nominate Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Yeah, I'm aware that the book has been branded with the YA label -- something many of us "literaries" look down upon. Despite this, I think it's an extraordinary read, and feel it has real staying power. It was also a New York Times and Publishers Weekly bestseller, if that should help boost your opinion of it.

So was Eragon, if I'm not mistaken?! :P Just ignore me, though, I've never heard of this book, and it's obviously not of the same yurgh standard as that! I think my point is that the fact it's best-selling has nothing to do with the quality. But anyway, I'm splitting hairs here. And rambling. I'll shut up now!

Oh, I'm aware. But this book, in my opinion, was deserving of the generous amount of copies it sold.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:24 pm
EstelPax says...

Whoops I forgot Kel. Go Kel !!!!!!!
Go Jaina Solo,Go Tahiri,Go Jacen,Go Tenel Ka,Go Mara,Go Luke.
I love Star by Star !!!!
I love star wars.
George Lucas is amazing
Hope for Peace

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:32 pm
Shadowsun says...

The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
The Age of 5 Trilogy - Trudi Canavan
The Dirk Pitt series - Clive Cussler
The Belgairad - David Eddings
The Mallorean - David Eddings
Digital Fortress - Dan Brown
Storming Heavon - Dale Brown
Day of the Cheetah - Dale Brown
Fools Errand - Robin Hobb
The Sharpe Series - Bernard Cornwell

Heres my contribution..
Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Then who cares? You're a mile away and you've got their shoes.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:56 am
Pushca says...

Shriek wrote:
KazSmurf wrote:

Oh, I'm aware. But this book, in my opinion, was deserving of the generous amount of copies it sold.

I disagree. I knew what happened to her from reading the back of the book. I also like the stack of quote boxes we've got going.
"Nothing I could write would be as shocking and offensive as censorship itself." -Deb Caletti

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:50 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Pushca wrote:
Shriek wrote:
KazSmurf wrote:

I disagree. I knew what happened to her from reading the back of the book. I also like the stack of quote boxes we've got going.

I know, isn't it fun!
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:54 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

:coughs: Um, I'm not trying to sound like an authority here, but nominations go in the nomination thread. This is the debate. The nominations are clogging it up. Thank you. :)
ohmeohmy

196 Reviews

Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:26 pm
Shriek says...

Pushca wrote:
Shriek wrote:
KazSmurf wrote:

That is the most ignorant shooting down of a book I've ever heard! If you don't want to know the ending, then don't skip ahead. It is obvious that you're going to find out what happens to a character by reading the book's final pages.

Ah, well. In the end, it is your fault that the book was ruined -- not the author's.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:10 am
Sohini says...

i vote for Lemony Snicket's A series of Unfortyunate Evants

and

the Bartimaeus Trilogy

the HP series
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:21 am
Sohini says...

none of Roald Dahl is here?

he surely fits the bill for 50years thingy, right?

this is an outrage!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

368 Reviews

Reviews: 368
Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:19 am
View Likes
Shine says...

yeah where are the Roald Dahl books?

My vote to Harry Potter series.
"A good plot is like a dream.If you dont write down your dream on paper the moment you wake up,the chances are you'll forget it and it'll be gone forever"-Roald Dalh.

Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale