z

Young Writers Society

Artemis Fowl

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:26 pm
Esmé says...

Okay, so has anyone ever read Artemis Fowl?
Well, the book is about a 12 (I think, havent read it a while now) year old boy, who happens to be a genius and a millionare (what a start in life!) Additionaly, he has an obsession about money and, last but not least, is a criminal mastermind.
Now, what does Arty do? He kidnappes a fairy, a captain in the LEPrechon forces (again, my memmory :() A bad move, one might say, cause fairies in this story are not sweet little beings granting your wishes - their (underground) world is much like ours, though a BIT ( no, a lot, even Artemis had to admit that) more technologically advanced, thanks to the centaur Foaly.

That is the adventure in book 1, and there are 4 books published now. In my opinion the fourth one (The OPal Deception) is the worst.

Personally, after reading both english and polish versions, I think that the polish one is better somehow. Dunno why, maybe the names are more interesting... :idea: Maybe u guys should try reading it in polish? lol

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:15 pm
Emerson says...

I read them. I remember liking them. But I don't remember much about them... I stopped in the third one I think? I'm not completely sure.

And, you read the polish version? That is so cool that you live in Poland! I'm 1/4th Polish! You can tell from my surname, hee hee.

I've sort of grown out of YA, sadly, and have a bad memory for things I've read, so I don't remember anything about these books!! I do know I liked them a whole lot, though.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:55 am
Swires says...

I read the first one and read half of the second one, forgot about it, reread to where I was, forgot about it etc...

I just couldnt finish it, it just didnt seem my type of book.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

571 Reviews

Reviews: 571
Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:36 pm
Esmé says...

To tell the truth, I had some problems at first, too. -But at some point I got insterested, lol.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:18 pm
uniaeca says...

There are actually five - The latest is called The Lost Colony and is definitely the best, and probably the last considering its time frame.

I find people often hate Artemis because we believe him to be such a male Mary-Sue. However, what we all forget is that though he is blessed with brains, and perhaps looks he lacks alot in day to day communication. It's unlikely he could survive a day in the streets, so to speak.

Personally, I love him, mainly because I find his dry, sarcastic, intellectual wit fascinating.
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:45 pm
Swires says...

I think the word you are looking for is Gary Stew :)
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:20 am
Jenita says...

Gary Stew? I've never heard that one before.

I loved the Artemis Fowl books, from beginning to end (of the fourth one)... I think I had problems getting into it as well -- I got the first one for my birthday when I was seven or so and only read all the way through four years later. Then I went to read all the rest of them.

Now a friend of mine wants to do the fifth one for a book report... My teacher said, "We'll see..." in a way that didn't make the approval likely at all... She'd probably let me do it, though, as long as the other book I red that quarter was some long classic like "A Tale of Two Cities" or something like that. *shrug*.
~HAKUNA MATATA~

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:19 am
deleted6 says...

This book i couldn't stand neither could my cousin. Her and me both couldn't finish it, it just seemed i don't know? I just couldn't read it. I think it because i couldn't like the main character i've read many book with people like that but i can like them, but Artermist i can't.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:10 am
Jiggity says...

Awesome books, hilarious, witty and intelligent with a new take on old fantasy staple (fairies) and a melding of magic and modern technology the like of which hasnt been seen since Harry Potter. Although this book is a lot more humorous and different from HP. Still, awesome. I've read 'em all and I love them.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:17 am
bubblewrapped says...

I'm an Arty fan too, LOL. I collect Colfer signed firsts so maybe that has something to do with it, but really I just love the stories ^_^
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

17 Reviews

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:42 am
View Likes
Kitkat_1122_ says...

I tried to read the Artmis Fowl books but I stopped because I got confused and in my oppion it was boring.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:33 am
View Likes
Myth says...

I liked the first three books. The next two just didn't do it for me, I don't think I finished either of them. They were interesting and ,sadly, I spent ages translating the codes (at the bottom of each oage) into English.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:37 am
Firestarter says...

I think I've read the first three, or four, I can't remember.

I really enjoyed the first two, but found the characters and storylines a bit dragged out after the beginning of the series.

Otherwise, they are fairly good books, but nothing extra-special.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

17 Reviews

Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:14 am
Jenita says...

Otherwise, they are fairly good books, but nothing extra-special.

I think I'd have to agree with that. They were fun books, though, and I'll probably reread them someday... and recommend them to my children, etc.
~HAKUNA MATATA~

Reviews: 0
Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:01 am
Pacific says...

Personally, I love him, mainly because I find his dry, sarcastic, intellectual wit fascinating.

Ditto! I think he is awesome, although I don't really recommend them for 12 yo's :P. I read the first one at that age (or was it 13?) and thought it was hard to follow because it was so techy. Now I've read all of them and thought they cool. I don't like the demon thing in the last book, although it was still alright I think Colfer's loosing his 'green thumb' (I know, I know, a term for gardeners, but we are gardeners too! In a way...).
-Kiley-
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you. - Rita Mae Brown

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25