Young Writers Society

Blazing Saddles

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:56 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

Blazing Saddles

In honor of one of the stupidest cowboy movies on the market, made by the one and only Mel Brooks being on Netflix this month, I’m here to at least complain about it. (and possibly stick some review material in here and there but I don’t know how this will really turn out.)

As anyone who has ever seen it knows, this movie is rated R for a reason, so if that’s not really your field of interest for movies, don’t take the recommendation. It’s also Mel Brooks which sort of tells you right from the beginning how crazy it’s going to be. In the usual manner, this movie breaks down every wall it possibly can, both figuratively and literally. Whether it be the cows in every single scene or Gene Wilder playing an ex-gun fighter, it’s a very thrilling movie.

So most of the comedy comes from the rated R for a reason section. Madeline Kahn is in it as the showgirl/singer from Germany who ends up singing with the German soldiers in the big bad guy roundup. Her usual top outfit actually had some material added to it for this one but fear not, because she shortened her pants to fit with the rest of her attire standards. Harvey Korman is another reason to watch the flick, playing the very conniving assistant to Governor Petomane (Brooks).

The cowboys working on the railroad are as sexist and racist as can be which only adds more to the whole meaning of the film, how sexist and racist early cowboy movies. And a lot of people hate the movie for this, but others realize how spoofy it is, and just ignore it. There’s a very fine line in these movies and at one time or another, scenes have been cut out. My favorite has to be a case my mother told me about, when the synchronized gas release sound clip was cut out, and made next to no sense. But that’s television for you.

And the rest of this discussion is left up to you all. Take your pick from these sample starting points.
1. Have you seen the movie, yes or no?
2. Did you like it, yes or no? Please explain.
3. What’s your level of appreciation for Brooks’ movies? Fan of Mel Brooks? Sort of a fan? Die Mel Brooks die? Take your pick.
4. General comments.
5. Hating on me for liking this movie.
6. Complaining.
7. Crying about Gene Wilder being dead.
8. Complaining about me not doing more of a review.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

i, too, use desk chairs for harm and harm alone
— Omni