z

Young Writers Society

Hardy Boys vs Nancy Drew

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:16 pm
Brigadier says...

Welcome to the next best media review that is facing books off against each other. This is the sequel no one asked for to all of the Harry Potter/Twilight and Star Wars/Star Trek battles.
So let the discussion begin.

I'm looking at two major aspects of this: competitions in the old series and in the newer reboots. In the newer reboots, the Hardys won my favoritism again because I found they were better adapted to an age where cell phones existed. The addition of technology to these two series had the potential to ruin it and in the few Drew reboots I read, it did. Instead of fighting her way out of it, Nancy's decision was to simple call the cops and enjoy a happily ever after. With the application of e-mail, receiving a mysterious and potentially dangerous letter from a long distance friend, wasn't quite as frightening. Where it may have taken her up to five days to find this friend in the old days, she now has the ability to get there within a few hours.

As I had predicted, the tech sort of ruined it for me but in the few Hardy Boys new novels that I read, I found they found ways to make it still fit. You know such as being dropped into a prison in the middle of nowhere. The books continued with the survivalist line and with the mysterious, conspiracy theory worthy actions of their father. It didn't feel as much like the classic detective story I grew up with, but more like a mix between that and a spy thriller. I still found this to be more entertaining than Nancy Drew turning into a regular old chick flick hallmark mystery series.

An overall look of my opinions on the series, is that I always loved Hardy Boys more. And it has something to do with the times and targeted audiences of the books. In Drew's time, sure girls weren't able to do most of the things she did or have the freedom she had, so obviously anything the Hardys did was also out of the question. But seeing as I'm from a different time, Nancy was just a touch to bland and boring for my taste.

*coughs*
So yes I might be a bit biased but I still want to hear all of the opinions and possibly convince as many people as possible to watch the tv series on netflix.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 am
ChieTheWriter says...

Ok ok

I've read the old ones, and I think one of the newer Hardy Boys? Anyway, I love the old ones more than the new. VS Nancy Drew? I liked the action/adventure of the Hardy boys and personally viewed the Nancy Drews to be boring compared to the latter. But I have only read one of the new ones because I really didn't like it.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:59 am
Wolfi says...

By the time I really got into the Nancy Drew games, I was getting a tad bit too old to read the books. I only ended up reading three of them (in two days), and none of the Hardy Boy ones, which I regret because I can imagine that my younger self would have adored them.

I'm a huuuge fan of the Nancy Drew games, however.

It annoys me that several fans have tried to put Nancy and Frank together. No. Ned Nickerson is Nancy's only true love. And if it's not Ned, then it's Dave from Shadow Ranch.
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

766 Reviews

Reviews: 766
Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:31 pm
View Likes
Brigadier says...

I'm re-reading all of my Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books left, which brought up this topic/
With Nancy, I was more thrilled by some of the older books and I think that was because it was a different writer. The name is of course a pen name, but whoever was writing under it in the early days did a way better job than the ones that came out in the 60s. And of course the ones of the 90s weren't great, especially when they moved to the junior Nancy Drew mysteries.

I have occasionally seen the Frank/Nancy ship and it's just sort of like Nancy can have any guy she would want, why pick Frank? I can see the 'Oh well they're fellow detectives' but do you know how much emotional baggage he would come with?

But back on topic Lizz. I just bought a Nancy Drew game from a church thrift store not too long ago so I'll be well versed in that aspect soon.

(go read some hardy boys wolf, at this point I just read them for the comedy because I know all the endings but read them anyways even if you think you're too old)

And I haven't gotten a completely disagreeing comment yet which is sort of encouraging.

the brigadier rides again!
LMS VI: Lunch Appointment with Death

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew