z

Young Writers Society

The Martian

299 Reviews

Reviews: 299
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:31 am
View Likes
TheSilverFox says...

Note: thanks to the light prodding of a friend, this is my first foray into this forum. Ever. Yeah. <.<

Anyways, I thought that I may as well make it count, so I decided to pick what is easily one of my favorite movies - The Martian. It's been some time since I've watched it, although its core elements remain distinct in my mind, and I still find it awesome. Considering the number of movies that I've seen in the past and completely forgotten about/feel completely ambivalent about now, that's saying something. XD

What're your thoughts on the movie, ambiguous audience I'm pretending to talk to under the assumption I know your identities? Did you like the attempts the movie made to be relatively scientifically realistic? Was it realistic? How about the endless sarcasm and commentary of the main character and his challenges (I'm still laughing over his being a pirate. XD)? What about the action and sense of danger in the movie?

Personally, I'd have to say my greatest problem with the movie was that it featured a series of extraordinary and increasingly unlikely scenarios in order to just barely save the main protagonist. I dunno, it felt like it broke from the realistic tone of the movie and provided for a lot of drama, as epic as it all was. What do you guys think?

*sets up beach chair, grabs popcorn and sunglasses, and patiently waits*
S'io credesse che mia risposta fosse
a persona che mai tornasse al mondo,
questa fiamma staria senza piu scosse.
Ma per ciò che giammai di questo fondo
non tornò vivo alcun, s'i' odo il vero,
senza tema d'infamia ti rispondo.

Inferno, Canto 27, l 61-66.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:47 am
View Likes
Cub says...

This is actually my first time on this website at all, so, here goes it!
I enjoyed 'The Martian' a lot, mostly due to its brilliant humor (that whole pirate thing), and due to the way it actually managed to make its story seem relatively plausible, and actually kind of relevant to our current era.
After watching the movie, I could actually imagine something like what happened actually occurring in the next twenty to thirty years.
I do agree with you about the overuse on drama, however. I felt that it did take away from my enjoyment of the story from a scientific perspective, and it did make it feel a tad bit less realistic.
CUB 8)

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro