z

Young Writers Society

Darren Shan Saga

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:26 pm
Emma says...

I have always been a great fan of the Darren Shan books. So I will give you a little intro on what the book is about... And you might be inchanced by it...

What is it called?
Darren Shan

How many books were made?
Altogether there are twelve books on the Darren Shan saga.

What is it about?
It is about a boy called Darren who steals a vampires spider. His friend (Who has evil blood, said the vampire) got bitten by it. The only way Darren could save his friends life was to make a deal with the vampire. But he only deals in blood. Darren and the vampire go on many of adventures were their loved ones perish.

In your view, what is the best book?
I think the best book is the second last one (number 11)

Is it suitable for all ages?
No. I would say it would be in the young adults area. Its full of blood and killings.

If you have anymore questions then send them here. Or if you liked the book send me the comments telling me what you liked best!

*Please don't use full caps -Kitty15-*
Last edited by Emma on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:56 pm
Sureal says...

I've only ready the first three of them (got them together a single book). Thought it was okay, but never re-read it. I've toyed with the idea of getting my hands on the other ones, but reading this has reminded me of 'em. I may go out to get them some time :).

Two things though - you posted up what happens in the last (eleventh book). As soon as I realised you had done this (I got as far as 'and his sist-') I skipped the rest of the sentence. Maybe a spoiler warning should be in place there ;).

- You said this should be mainly for the young adults. I personally disagree. The short chapters, largish font and clear (simplistic?) wording makes me think it's more for those of ages 10+.
This probably is no more (perhaps less) violent than the Animorph series (excellent children books by K.A. Applegate).
I wrote the above just for you.

683 Reviews

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:09 pm
Emma says...

I find the writing small.... I must be blind...

Oh yer, I forgot, I will change it! Mawahaha and make you forget!

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:43 am
Willow says...

Sorry Emma, but I didn't like it that much.
Like Sureal said, he writes in simplistic tones. I don't really like his style of writing, although the gore descriptions are good. I only read up to the thrid book, and got bored with it.

683 Reviews

Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:48 pm
Emma says...

Wow, well people have thier own styles of writing and reading. Anyway I didn't find it boring and got alot of people into it, maybe you weren't that kind of person who likes that sort of writing? Everyone is different and luckly I aint going to argue about it!

*does a dance*

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon May 23, 2005 11:23 am
deleted6 says...

Brillant wat i like about it is he is basically a normal kid but then he makes a deal with a vampire.I read 3 i thought they were very good 8/10
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

263 Reviews

Reviews: 263
Mon May 23, 2005 4:09 pm
Lollipop says...

The Darren Shan Saga rocks!

I love the ons that take place at Vampire mountain and the tenth one. The Lake of souls!! Hee
Way hay!!!!

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:17 pm
WaterVyper says...

I love the Darren Shan Saga! I have all of the books and in my opinion, the sixth book was best. 'Vampire Prince' was that one. The trial, betrayal, beautiful. I have to admit, Darren was a bit whiny at first. Definitely a 10/10!

Also, the Demonata isn't that bad either. Still, I prefer the DSS. Anyway, I can't wait for the movie. It's definitely going to be awesome!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:54 pm
Jiggity says...

I enjoyed this series heaps, but that was a good long time ago now. There's going to be a movie? That's awesome news. The Demonata was pretty damn good too, probably better in my estimation, just in terms of the writing in general.

Although I never did get round to completing the Demonata -- didn't get passed book 2
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

506 Reviews

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:37 am
Sureal says...

Jiggity, I wouldn't bother with the rest of the books in the Demonata series. It peaked with the first two books, and the rest range from 'okay-ish' to 'poor'. Well, so far anyways - maybe the last two will surprise me?

I'd recommend checking out his adult 'The City Trilogy', of which Book 1 'Procession of the Dead' has been released. It's flawed, but it has a very dark and disturbing tone that slowly builds up throughout it, and I'd definately say it's worth checking out for a bit of light reading.

Reviews: 3
Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:56 am
Gabe_15 says...

Well, the writing was pretty simple.
I read up to the second last on (11) and stopped.
I hated where it was going. I don't want to put in any spoilers but the whole prophecy made me not care be cause (well u knoow what was destined to happen and I stopped caring about weather Darren lived or died. Darren becomes all evil and it contradicts everything we've learned about him and it happens to suddenly, its like hes the good guy, all of a sudden he gets mad and decides to be evil.
I think it was a fun series, but nothing great.

506 Reviews

Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:36 pm
Sureal says...

Darren becomes all evil and it contradicts everything we've learned about him and it happens to suddenly, its like hes the good guy, all of a sudden he gets mad and decides to be evil.

You should have read the last book then if you think that's how it ends. XD

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm
Miss_Mosh says...

I read those books a few years ago and loved them. I thought his take on vampires was interesting, and so were the characters. I still find Mr. Tiny amusing.

I'm a little worried about the film, though. I'm scared it'll butcher the series.

And as for Mr. Shan's new series...meh. It's really quite...awful, I think. Antoine Horwitzer? Jeez, that was weird.

I enjoyed the more mature book he did; Procession of the Dead, I think it was called.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:52 am
ButterFlyInk says...

I saw the movie yesterday and it followed the book really well. It was awesome to watch, as for the books I adore them even though it has been about 5 yrs since I read them. I loved the simplicity of Darren's writing. I also liked his take on vampires, its very different and a lot more entertaining than what is out there now-a-days *coughcoughTwilightcoughcough*. His creativity with the whole series was brilliant.
["DD:why are you wearing 2 hats? GM: because i have 2 hats!" XD ]

"my mind isn't working properly..and so my fingers are following the trend." ~ Me

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:48 am
Lil_Pau says...

I like the Demonata series. Most of Darren Shan's books are simple in writing, but they're entertaining. He's great at those descriptions of gore too xD.

Sureal wrote:- You said this should be mainly for the young adults. I personally disagree. The short chapters, largish font and clear (simplistic?) wording makes me think it's more for those of ages 10+.

Agreed. Anyway, I guess Darren Shan wanted to give children nightmares xD
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Attention is the beginning of devotion.
— Mary Oliver, Upstream