z

Young Writers Society

I Just Read ERAGON and ELDEST!

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:57 pm
Aedomir says...

lol, half the people who hate eragon are british. I guess we just hate those who copy our Tolkien's (*sign of trinity*) work.

OK, so Tolkien masy have is flaws but you know...
Last edited by Aedomir on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:14 pm
StellaThomas says...

...I'm not British... :D

I know this isn't a Tolkien thread, but some of it is a little hard to read, and at some points his dialogue is just plain painful. But the story's just awesome. That's why I love the movies. Except for they cut out the Scouring of The Shire and Tom Bombadil... :(. Although I can see why...

But Inheritance... he writes in a completely arrogant way as well, mixed with bad prose it's just like "Ick". I mean, the fact is, it's not going to stop me reading the last one, because I have this weird thing about getting attached to characters, ie. Roran in this, Jacob in Twilight, and I end up reading the series just for those characters. I don't know if that makes sense, my logic goes something like "I can't abandon them to whatever horrible fate the autor has in store for them! I must be there to hold their hand!"

Yes I know I'm weird.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

370 Reviews

Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:56 pm
Aedomir says...

lol ye, I know what you mean. I guess that's just me for you! :-D

Paolin and plagiarism? I suppose it tells us what not to do. He was a 15 year old kid when he wrote eragon to be fair...

besides, I did say half, not all...

2. Human.

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:07 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

aedomir wrote:Paolin and plagiarism? I suppose it tells us what not to do. He was a 15 year old kid when he wrote eragon to be fair...

To be honest, that's more or less a common myth, now. Yes, he was fifteen when he wrote the first draft. Then there was the period of editing before it got published the first time round. Then another year or so of promoting it, before he got noticed by the big publisher. Then a year of further editing. All in all, by the time it got published in the state it's in now, he was around 18/19. Not nearly as impressive, no?
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

370 Reviews

Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:18 pm
Aedomir says...

No, I agree :-D. He actually said when he went around schools that he was better than Tolkien. That just really ticked me off.

2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:49 pm
StellaThomas says...

No, I'm not impressed by the whole "ZOMG, he wrote this when he was fifteen!" There was a seven year old who wrote a book and got published with a preface by JM Barrie. Now THAT's impressive. Mum has a copy of the book, it's called "The Visiters" but for the life of me I can't remember her name. Okay, so it's not the greatest, but she was seven, come on. But you really should have reached some sort of writing maturity by the time you're fifteen so it's not so cool. So yeah. And the fact he wasn't actually published until he was nineteen...

I can't believe that Aedomir. Did he actually? grr. Now I really don't like him.

Also, look, I'm not about to give out to all you homeschoolies, but he was homeschooled wasn't he? And somehow I get this feeling that in his case that just meant his parents let him write this book all day. Like, he had no other commitments, which would make things so much easier anyway, without school or work. I'm not saying "Erh, homeschool kids have it easy" because I'm sure that isn't the case, but in his case I get this feeling that his parents "embraced his natural ability" and poured everything into getting this book published.

And ignored trigonometry.

Oh now I'm just plain jealous. :P

Just my opinion btw. And I could be completely wrong. But I read somewhere he was homeschooled and this is what I thought.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

370 Reviews

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 pm
Aedomir says...

Ye, it is opinion but I completly agree with you.

He went around schools, mostly primary's and first schools, children who knew no better than to believe him. The secondaries (or elementaries?) that we went to had to put with lectures by him saying "I am only 20 and I am a really good writer," and stuff like that.

I have to hand it to this seven year old. I was interested in writing then, but NEVER actually write a decent story. 15 is quite old really, come to think of it. I thought it was young, but after seeing the talent this place has to offer...

Bah, this is Paolini we're talking about lol!

2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:58 pm
StellaThomas says...

I mean, the truth is, bragging aside, I consider myself a good enough writer, not amazingly brilliant but I think that if I actually knuckled down and wrote rather than stressing about exams I may be able to get published. But so would a million people our age. And you can bet, if I was, and I went on tour, I'd point that out. But if he went and told people "Oh yeah, well, you should read my book because I wrote it when I was fifteen and it's great"... well, I'd slap him...

and hey, I still haven't written a decent story. They're all in my head, but once they're on paper they just kind of hover without an ending...

And also, he is SO not hot. Just thought I'd throw that in there while I'm ranting.
Last edited by StellaThomas on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

404 Reviews

Reviews: 404
Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:14 pm
Gadi. says...

I tried to read Eragon, but it was SO BORING.

Okay, the only thing I am reall impressed by is that he actually had the determination to write that fat book.
my world isn't only beautiful
it is so far away

370 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:50 am
Aedomir says...

'I tried to read Eragon, but it was SO BORING.

Okay, the only thing I am reall impressed by is that he actually had the determination to write that fat book.'

:-D lol! Clever!

I really hate exams at the mo. I used to be really high on education, but now I feel If I am just given time to write my sodden I can cactually do the thing!

~D'Aedomir~

2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:03 pm
StellaThomas says...

Maybe I'll give up studying for these blasted mocks and write a big fat book instead...

If only I could...

In some cases, the fatter the book the worse the prose. One of the most beautiful books I've ever read is Song for Eloise by Leigh Sauerwein. It's skinny.

Although whether it's the writing or the translating that was good it's hard to tell...

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:30 pm
GingerLizzy says...

I've actually got Eragon to read... But I just haven't got around to opening it yet.

It looks fabulous.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

370 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:06 pm
Aedomir says...

Ye, I admit it looks pretty ok, if you haven't read the blurb lol. As soon as you rad page 1, it gets boring. I might read it one day, but at the moment I am still in my 'read books to find tehcniques' type of mood, and some people have told me I can write better than Paolini (though don't me to that! that was somone on here not me!!!)

I might read Eldest. But the first chapter is supposedly huge rip off of lord of the rings. :x

2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:16 pm
StellaThomas says...

*rummages around and finds a copy of Eldest from the literary debris in her room*

Not so much really... Well, the beginning's a bit Two Towers-esque, the aftermath of a battle... and then suddenly Murtagh's dragged into a cave and No! Shock Horror!

He's dead and oh, look! There's no body...

What a tragedy... Or is it?

I will admit though, Murtagh has that kind of dark and dangerous appeal to him...

If Paolini would admit that the G is silent! Why bother using a Celtic sounding name if you're going to ignore the fact the G should either be very softly said, or not said at all! I mean, why put a pronunciation guide in the back of your book if it's not pronounced properly? Seriously...

Another thing, this book is heavy... seriously heavy... my entire illustrated Chronicles of Narnia isn't that heavy...

370 Reviews

Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:38 pm
Aedomir says...

I like LotR because the plot develops throguout the very long book. In Eragon, its jsut overly-worded to make it look more fantasy-like... honestly, its pathetic.

2. Human.

'Tis the season to shovel enormous amounts of watermelon into your mouth while hunched over the cutting board like a dehydrated vampire that hasn't fed on blood in four hundred years and the only viable substitute is this questionable Christmas-colored fruit.
— Ari11