78%
no
22%

Total votes : 9

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:41 pm
Areida says...

ali 2 wrote:I'm a christian so i don't like improper facts that could confuse people or guide them from the truth

like it does.
But i'm sure it's agood FICTIONAL book to read.

I think this is the first time I've really agreed with you, Ali.

I read it fast and liked it more in the beginning than I did at the end. I agree with smaur that a lot of it was gimmicky and fakey, but it was a good read nonetheless. As to the Christian aspect of it all, I enjoyed the fact that it challenged my beliefs because it gave me an opportunity to do some research and read some other books to decide things for myself.

And like ali said, it was FICTION, even if Dan Brown does present much of it as fact.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:58 pm
Swires says...

I liked it very much, I loved reading it and the plot was excellent, personally i find it more believable than the bible, as that is also a fictional book.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:48 am
smaur says...

In terms of Dan Brown's questionable literary merit, I'd rather like to point everyone in the direction of this little article.

*cough*

Yeah, that's all.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:35 am
IceCreamMan says...

EDITED
Last edited by IceCreamMan on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:44 pm
Sweetness says...

I read it and enjoyed it but it wasnt an easy read, it also confuses fact and fiction was didn't really do me any good ...
If beauty is an ecstacy and anger keeps you pure,
a hungry man is never free a rich man never cured!

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:54 am
niteowl says...

This is slightly random but quite funny...

One time I was discussing this book with a friend and I said that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute. My teacher jumped in and said "Well, he was trying to reach out to those type of people..." Well yes, but I certainly hope he wasn't reaching out to those type of people the way the book suggests...
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:58 am
Swires says...

IceCreamMan wrote:
Adam101 wrote:I liked it very much, I loved reading it and the plot was excellent, personally i find it more believable than the bible, as that is also a fictional book.

You know, that just makes you look like a complete retard. While I believe you have a right to you opinion, I also believe that your opinion doesn't mean s*** if you can't back it up. Tons of stuff which Dan Brown says in that book is not just slightly twisted but is actually compete bogus. His portrayal of Jesus is absolutely absurd and it is disturbing that people actually fall for this. Whether or not you believe Jesus was who he said he was, the bible is a very historically sound record of his life on earth which is considered to be quite reliable by many historians who are not even christians because it passes the protocol tests for ancient manuscripts. Obviously they don't believe in the miracles or the resurection, but they think that the authors of these books of the new testament believed in them. And while Dan Brown would like us to believe that the early church supressed some 76 gospels while only allowing the Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John to remain in the bible, if you look it up you will find that there are something like 35,000 manuscripts of the 4 gospels while most of the other gospels (of which I can only find 16 at most) only have one surviving manuscript. And isn't it a coincidence that these missing gospels are the ones which supposedly show Jesus in a different light, while the 4 current gospels show him pretty much the same way: as a man who believed he was God's son, who never married, who performed miracles, who was resurected, etc etc. And what about his description of Opus Dei and the Catholic Church? Do you honestly think that was accurate?

So while the bible may or may not be a fictional book, Dan Brown's book most certainly is. Do you know that the only group of people more angry about this book than Christians are HISTORIANS? Guess why? Cause its a big fat load o' bs. End of story.

P.S. After looking at the link that Smaur posted, I dislike Dan Brown even more. The book was actually enjoyable to read for me. Thats not what I have a problem with. My problem is with people who are so easily persuaded that they believe this book is nonfiction. You would think that anyone would be able to find at least one thing in the book which they know for certain is not a fact, and therefore they know the book is just fictional. Or they could just read the page which says "this book is a work of fiction..."

The quotes from teh several other gospels in the Davinci code are fully true, the church buried the dead sea scrolls, Nag Hammidi and many other rejected gospels:

There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary, his mother, and her sister, and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary.

Gospel of Philip from the Nag Hammadi Scrolls, http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gop.html

Why was this rejected? Because it denied that Jesus was the son of God and he actually could have a wife. GO tell your historians that, because "companion" meant wife in old Hebrew culture.

As for the Wisdom who is called "the barren," she is the mother of the angels. And the companion of the [...] Mary Magdalene. [...] loved her more than all the disciples, and used to kiss her often on her mouth. The rest of the disciples [...]. They said to him "Why do you love her more than all of us?" The Savior answered and said to them,"Why do I not love you like her? When a blind man and one who sees are both together in darkness, they are no different from one another. When the light comes, then he who sees will see the light, and he who is blind will remain in darkness."

Gospel of Philip, Nag Hammadi Scrolls.

Now excuse me, i think I am owed an apology for being called a very discrimitry term that I will not repeat. That word is tabooed in England as it is VERY politcally incorrect and is an insult to mentally and physically disabled people. So, infact, IM SORRY because you have no hard evidence to back up your points.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:18 am
Firestarter says...

IceCreamMan, calling Adam101 a "retard" for stating his opinion isn't acceptable. Here's a better way of saying what you meant:

I believe you have a right to you opinion, I also believe that your opinion doesn't mean anything if you can't back it up, so please provide some evidence before making a sweeping statement like that.

That kind of talk is acceptable, because you are not flaming nor attacking another member. We appreciate discussion but not bashing.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:19 am
Myth says...

I borrowed the book and read a few pages last night. It was.. just not something I'm interested in.

At college there was such a fuss most people saying it was a load of ... and I'd agree.

And I won't even begin on the movie.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:42 pm
Prosithion says...

IT WAS TERRIBLE. There was no real plot, and Vitoria disproved Einstein's Theory with a can of tuna fish. Come on. It was a very lame book.
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:38 pm
IceCreamMan says...

Firestarter wrote:IceCreamMan, calling Adam101 a "retard" for stating his opinion isn't acceptable. Here's a better way of saying what you meant:

I believe you have a right to you opinion, I also believe that your opinion doesn't mean anything if you can't back it up, so please provide some evidence before making a sweeping statement like that.

That kind of talk is acceptable, because you are not flaming nor attacking another member. We appreciate discussion but not bashing.

I'm sorry. I wrote that before the site went down. I was in a bad mood at the time, although that obviously doesn't excuse what I said. I'll edit or delete that post now.
Clementine: This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it.”
-Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:03 pm
Elemental says...

I read it, and it's amazing. It really does make you think and it's really exciting. I loved it, but at the end I didn't really like the in-your-face obviousness. Also, if you have trouble seperating fact from fiction, I suggest that you look at his paintings and find his references of them. Like, the "omnious" hand in the Last Supper and the "threating" gestures of the babies in Madonna of the Rocks. Also, I went to lisahea.net, I think it's called, and she had an explanation for everything in the book. Also, on the back of the book there's a few websites that you may wish to visit.

I also get annoyed about how much anger that the Da Vinci Code has caused. Don't people understand it's fiction and that Dan Brown is only going to cry all the way to the bank?

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:15 pm
Elemental says...

magicman wrote:Well I thought the book wasn't bad, though I abrubtly stopped reading it when he mentioned his theory about Jesus Christ and Mary Magdalene. Don't get me wrong, I know it was a fiction book. But I guess even reading something like that made me depressed.

I mean why write something like that? And his story makes no sense whatsover to me. He says women were always treated like dirt and disrespected and then he brings in Mary Magdalene to say that she was the one who should have been remembered in history for being the wife of Jesus.

What about the Virgin Mary? He completely left out the fact that the Virgin Mary is perhaps the most famous woman in history. He also says that Jesus was going to carry on his church to Mary Magdalene. That also makes no sense because of Jesus Christ was really married to her then he wouldn't be the son of God. If he wasn't the son of God then what church was he carrying on???

I don't know why he decided to write something like this. Maybe he has a problem with the Church or something.
I mean why write a book that contradicts Christianity? It just really gets on my nerves. I got assigned that book for english class and refused not to read it because of how much it offended me. I don't care if it's fiction or not.
Someone's religion is not something to joke about.

I think Dan Brown should be ashamed of himself. And to make it worse a movie is coming out based on the book.
Why? Why not make a movie about his other books if they are as good as you all said? It's just so he could voice his ridiculous theory to the world.

I'm sorry if I annoyed you with this post but I just had to get out how I feel. I don't know what else to say. Words cannot explain how disgusted I am with this book. I couldn't sleep for a week after reading it. It actually made me cry and my brother cry.

Please, if you havn't read the DaVinci code, don't. Dan Brown thinks his theory is the truth. Well, I want to tell him just one thing.

I have already found the truth, and it's Jesus Christ. If he doesn't think so he can keep it to himself.

-Tony

Actually, on his website Dan Brown says that he's a Christian, and also Dan Brown openly admits that the Da Vinci Code is ficitonal. If he actually believed that stuff do you really think that he would settle for listing his book under historical fiction? Also, I'm sorry it offended you.

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:31 pm
you_really_suck says...

i read it and i thought it was good
i mostly liked to figure out the codes and puzzles but other than that i was very annoyed by it
i am a christian and having the knowledge i grew up with in church totally made it more like a story so it didn't really change the way i think about my religion
Meat is Murder

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:41 pm
Habbisham says...

I thought that even though Jesus was the son of God he was man. I thought that was the whole point, God sent his son down to earth in human form to clense our sins?

Why isn't it ok for him to be married? He was a man and its a natural thing to do.

More than anything she wanted the world to be uncomplicated, for right and wrong to be as easily divided as the black and white sections of an Oreo. But the world was not a cookie.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes