z

Young Writers Society

Twilight

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:47 am
Black Wind says...

I've just read the first part of ''Twilight'' and watched the film. I know, why did this book became so popular. It has story, which is not ordinary, interesting. It also shows, how it is hard to fight with evil in the soul. And: attraction of this story in one thing! Bella is not very special person. She is just a girl. And Edward loves her and he is a real gentleman! And we (girls) all find part of ourselves in Bella. We want, that we would be loved just because we exist. :) We wish it.
It was my opinion about this book.

Reviews: 3
Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:38 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Black Wind wrote:I've just read the first part of ''Twilight'' and watched the film. I know, why did this book became so popular. It has story, which is not ordinary, interesting. It also shows, how it is hard to fight with evil in the soul. And: attraction of this story in one thing! Bella is not very special person. She is just a girl. And Edward loves her and he is a real gentleman! And we (girls) all find part of ourselves in Bella. We want, that we would be loved just because we exist. :) We wish it.
It was my opinion about this book.

Yes, that is why Twilight is a Mary-Sue story. She's just a stand in for the reader who wants a perfect guy to love them. :roll: Smeyer is Bella! How can you people not see this?

Let me break it down shortly. Smeyer and Bella have brown hair. Smeyer and Bella have brown eyes. Smeyer and Bella have pale skin. Smeyer and Bella come from Arizona. Smeyer and Bella have heart shaped facial structures. There's probably more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

So as all of you should get that Bella is Smeyer's Mary-Sue and Twilight is Stephenie Meyer's wish list.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:05 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

But don't YOU see. Bella is not just a girl. Okay let me ask you something. Bella has perfectly clear skin, slender, heart shaped face and long brown hair. Even her eyes are described as one of her most attractive features. She's not exactly normal. That dosen't sound normal to me. She actually sounds really pretty.

Now, tell me would you have liked this story still if Bella was fat and pimple faced, etc, etc. To be completely honest, I wouldn't have. I'm not trying to be mean and I know half of you will never admit to this, but we are all prejudiced. Just like with movies. If you had two really hot actors/actresses with a decent storyline would you watch it? What about a decent storyline with two old actors/actresses. How many of you would choose the first one? Most people. I've seen this before.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I just wanted to tell you that Bella is not described as some regular girl. I mean she can block her thoughts. That's not regular either. Anyway, that's all I really had to say. As you can imagine, I do not like Twilight. For many, many reasons.

Oh and just to let you know, I agree with you on one thing. All girls want a guy to love them just for existing. Or well, girls who are hopeless romantics like myself. (: That's just about it.

~Nicole
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:46 pm
Cheshire-Writer says...

WhiteTiger93 wrote:But don't YOU see. Bella is not just a girl. Okay let me ask you something. Bella has perfectly clear skin, slender, heart shaped face and long brown hair. Even her eyes are described as one of her most attractive features. She's not exactly normal. That dosen't sound normal to me. She actually sounds really pretty.

Now, tell me would you have liked this story still if Bella was fat and pimple faced, etc, etc. To be completely honest, I wouldn't have. I'm not trying to be mean and I know half of you will never admit to this, but we are all prejudiced. Just like with movies. If you had two really hot actors/actresses with a decent storyline would you watch it? What about a decent storyline with two old actors/actresses. How many of you would choose the first one? Most people. I've seen this before.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I just wanted to tell you that Bella is not described as some regular girl. I mean she can block her thoughts. That's not regular either. Anyway, that's all I really had to say. As you can imagine, I do not like Twilight. For many, many reasons.

Oh and just to let you know, I agree with you on one thing. All girls want a guy to love them just for existing. Or well, girls who are hopeless romantics like myself. (: That's just about it.

~Nicole

Yes I see the Hollywood effect in books where the main character is always attractive but that wasn't what I meant.

What I meant is that Bella describes herself as plain and ordinary yet everyone sees her as extraordinarily beautiful. It's annoying, especially when Bella says she's plain and then describes her skin as ivory white. If she really was self conscious she would describe her skin by comparing it to something unattractive, such as fish belly white. The whole thing just really annoyed me because she constantly contradicts herself through out the entire series.

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:02 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ah. I think I must have misunderstood you. I'm sorry. (: Still, I stick to what I said. It may seem that we have the same opinion...
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:32 pm
Cheshire-Writer says...

Sorta, it kinda sucks that there is that prejudice in books but it's part of marketing. I just hate it when people obsess about Twilight and call it the best book in the world when it's a shameless Mary-sue.

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:17 pm
Flower~Child says...

I loved the Twilight series! I can't believe all you people. Maybe there were some things wrong with it, but can ya'll write like that and then sell a lot of books? Probly not...
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:54 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Flower~Child wrote:I loved the Twilight series! I can't believe all you people. Maybe there were some things wrong with it, but can ya'll write like that and then sell a lot of books? Probly not...

Hm lemme see, make the main character seem better than all the other girls in town, make the love interest perfect, make everyone fell sorry for main character, base the main plot off of older and better literature, go on about nothing for pages upon pages, add random bad characters so the book has some real plot, make sure the book has a pretty cover, and do all that while writing like an average thirteen year-old.

Yeah I think we can manage. :roll:

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:20 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

I loved the Twilight series! I can't believe all you people. Maybe there were some things wrong with it, but can ya'll write like that and then sell a lot of books? Probly not...

Gah! I hate when people say that! Nothing personal to you, though. :) It's just, maybe I can't write a book and make it so millions of people buy it. But, just because millions of people bought it doesn't mean it was good. I'll be perfectly honest, do you know why I bought it? Because everyone was telling me to buy it and read it. And because everyone else was reading it, I thought "why not?" Right now--to a lot of teenage girls--reading Twilight is cool because everyone else is. That's part of the reason why everyone is buying it. Some of them might not even finish it.

Anyways, why do I not like Twilight? Because it was really cliche. She completely changed the way vampires were perceived, which was kind of weird. Also, Bella bored the hell out of me. It's the same cliche: The really hot, perfect, nice, well mannered, guy falls for the boring, clumsy girl. I've read to many books like that which is part of the reason I don't read much romance anymore. Edward is way to perfect, why can't Meyer just make him a bit less perfect? Everyone has flaws, even vampires with flawless skin and breathtaking eyes. Stephenie just needs to make him more real.

I read all the Twilight books. And I used to really like them. But, then I started writing my own stuff and when I read I would think about the authors writing. And then I thought about Meyer's and found a lot of things I thought were wrong about Twilight. And I guess I realized it's definitely not as good as everyone thinks it is.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

321 Reviews

Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:41 pm
Flower~Child says...

I don't mean to be rude, and if ya'll start sellin books I will buy and read them, but I do really like Twilight. I think that it's because it is an easy read. I don't like things that I have to sit there for an hour to figure out. It gets on my nerves.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:17 pm
Cheshire-Writer says...

Flower~Child wrote:I don't mean to be rude, and if ya'll start sellin books I will buy and read them, but I do really like Twilight. I think that it's because it is an easy read. I don't like things that I have to sit there for an hour to figure out. It gets on my nerves.

It's easy to understand because the plot and characters had no depth. The only time we really learned about characters is when they were explained in a simple way.

I think books should have at least a little bit or depth to them that the author could show (not tell) in their story to make it interesting yet understandable. And yes this can be done quite easily as many of the writers on this site and else where have shown.

Personally I don't like books that are hard to understand either, I get bored with them and then frustrated when it doesn't make sense. Which is why I didn't really start reading anything until Grade four.

Then I started learning about writing literature, and how an old idea is often used over and over again. I also learned the term 'Mary-Sue'. Which is a story that an author writes about a mirror image of themselves but makes it easy for the reader to see themselves as the main character.
In fact let me take two quotes form Smeyer's website (the FAQ section to be exact):

Some parts of Bella's experiences are modeled after real life (my life, to be exact)

I left out a detailed description of Bella in the book so that the reader could more easily step into her shoes

321 Reviews

Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:43 am
Flower~Child says...

Hmmmm I have had trouble picturing characters. I pictured Jasper with dark hair, and emmett with blond he he. Yeah I think there are errors, but every book has them.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:03 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Exactly, Twilight was to descriptive when it came to the little stuff but didn't have enough explaination where it was needed.

321 Reviews

Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:28 pm
Flower~Child says...

Very true, but every book has errors, and it would take a advanced writer to realize it.

Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:58 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Or a really good editor, Twilight just seemed really amateurish to me. It could have been a better book series if Meyer spent more time and effort on it.

Meatball, meatball, spaghetti underneath; ravioli, ravioli, great barrier reef!
— Spongebob