z

Young Writers Society

The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:39 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

No Jacob never imprinted on Bella.

I like Jacob so much better than Edward. I don't like flawless characters that are compared to Greek gods. They just annoy me. And wolves are so much cooler than leeches. *runs away before the Edward fangirls attack*
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

220 Reviews

Reviews: 220
Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 am
Sleeping Valor says...

XD I don't think I loved Edward for being perfect. I adored him for being a vamp, and for being cool. The way Bella worships him was annoying. He, himself, however is cool. *hearts his personality in the first book*

But yes, I found Jacob and Bella to be a better match just because it was more reak. Bella sort of obsesses over Edward, whereas she bonded with Jacob in a more real way that isn't all deep, dramatic passion. The third book made me reconsider how much I liked Edward as a character. The whole dispute over them getting maried was getting annoying and Edward proved himself to be an ass with the whole 'let's get Bella to say she loves me so that stupid wolf's heart will break'.

^_^ Still, vampires rock too much for me to hate him. (lol. I love the characters, until the moment I don't. Then I blame the authors. XD)
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

And apparently I also write a blog.

241 Reviews

Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:39 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

Eh, I don't hate Edward. He just annoys me. And i still like werewolves better than vampires. *shrug*

Hey, did you just have a birthday? Or am I just blind and you've been seventeen for a while?
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

220 Reviews

Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:35 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

=P Yuppers. the 22nd was my B-day. :D

(Vampires are better. Seriously. I will write a term paper in university on why they rock)
I'm like that song stuck in your head; I come and I go, but never truly dissapear.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:09 pm
Leja says...

Edward is an awful example of a character. He's a soapbox for conflict and perfection, only there to serve what Bella wants. In that respect, Jacob is an amazing character because he interacts with Bella. They can have a dialogue, and by the end of a scene, you see there's an attraction (however amorous or platonic) between them that isn't there in the scenes with Edward, especially as the books progress.

Never mind the fact that Jacob would be better for her anyway ^~

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14 pm
Layleun says...

I love Jacob ^.^ Of course I would, he's a werewolf! Other than that I really like how he's a child who goes against the rules *glomps Jacob*

I can't wait till Breaking Dawn comes out! I'm staying over at the mall all night so I can get it in the morning ^.~

~Lupe

241 Reviews

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:18 pm
lyrical_sunshine says...

*pouts*
Stephenie better give Jacob a really, really, REALLY good girlfriend in Breaking Dawn, or else I will never be happy.

220 Reviews

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Absolutely. Jacob needs a sweetheart who isn't vamp obsessed ASAP.

*huggles Edward* I think the reason Edward seems like suc a bad character is because of how he interacts with Bella and how she reports it. If Stephanie and written it from his perspective I'm sure he'd have been better. :D

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:52 pm
Leja says...

*huggles Edward* I think the reason Edward seems like such a bad character is because of how he interacts with Bella and how she reports it.

Thank you thank you thank you! It is all in the interaction between them that annoys me. But maybe Bella's just an unreliable narrator? I don't know that the book from his perspective would do much, only because the story is all about Bella.

... however, if Bella were not the focus of the book, would there even be a story?

220 Reviews

Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:59 pm
Sleeping Valor says...

Perhaps not, but she had originally planned on writing the romance from Edwards perspective, though she changed her mind (or at least she wrote a chapter from his perspective, the first one as I recall). I think Edward a great character. If you just look at his history and his conflicts, he's quite cool. Also, how he chooses to deal with his issues is interesting. How he and Bella go all hearts and rainbows is a little annoying. I like him best when he's mad. *loves the scene in Twilight where he comes to save her in his car and is super pissed off*

XD

241 Reviews

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:36 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

Oh yeah, I loved reading "Midnight Sun" on her website. Edward's not as... I don't know, OBSESSED as Bella it seems. His mind is more interesting; it deals with other topics besides "OMG he's so hot I want him to bite me so I can live forever!! (but of course I won't marry him cuz that's just immature)"

*ahem*
Anyway.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:07 pm
ReasonIsTreason says...

I love Jacob, although I think Ed is better for Bella...I just like Jacob's character more (:
"Oh my God. I care so little I almost passed out."

-Dr. Cox

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 am
Passion's Killing Floor says...

I prefer Bella and Edward, mostly because I can actually relate to their relationship more and have experienced that sudden clicking and the hearts and rainbows more than the other type of relationship.
Jacob is probably a more stable match for Bella because the hearts and rainbows usually end in disaster. I like how Stephanie Meyer included the idea of there being more than one kind of love. It's a great message for younger teens who are confused about love and more often than not believe there is only one kind of "true love".
Jacob is such a butt though, and I love him for it. Lol. That scene at school when he came on his bike and projected the memory of Bella to Edward made me giggle with girlish pleasure.
I could relate and understand Bella up until Eclipse, and I think Breaking Dawn is its only redeemer. A few aspects of Bella, and all the characters in general, were understandable. You saw new facets of their characters, but none the less it seemed incredibly forced and unnatural.
Also Bella and Edward's love was pure until the element of sex poisons it in the 3rd book. The purity was one of the series qualities that appealed to me the most.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:58 am
ReasonIsTreason says...

I completely agree. I didn't quite understand the author's choice of introducing sex into this pure and true love story, especially making Bella so concerned about it...I mean, sure, they're teenagers and it was the realistic thing to do, but it sorta ruined the idea of the love I thought they had.
"Oh my God. I care so little I almost passed out."

-Dr. Cox

241 Reviews

Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:02 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

i read somewhere that Stephenie's agent wanted her to have Bella and Edward sleep together and she said no. i had a lot more respect for those...um...moments of sexual tension.

lol, after we read Twilight my friend said she had "found her Edward" and I was like, "Whatever, I found my Jacob." Our relationship is so much like Bella's and Jacob's...with the very sweet, tender moments and then all of a sudden we're fighting and swearing we'll never talk to each other again. He's not as manipulative as Jacob though; he would have let me marry Edward if I wanted.

Anyway, my point is that there are very few stars and rainbows in real relationships, which is why I don't really like the Edward/Bella thing. I want to see them get into a real, honest-to-goodness argument. A nasty one that ends in Bella running back to Jacob and....

Never mind.

The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
— Samuel Johnson