z

Young Writers Society

His Dark Materials.

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:39 am
Jiggity says...

Zomg. There was another book? After the third and there's a further one after that due out soon?! I hadn't known... I must say I'm amazed. I usually know everything regarding these things...hmm..
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:10 am
Alainna says...

Jiggity wrote:Zomg. There was another book? After the third and there's a further one after that due out soon?! I hadn't known... I must say I'm amazed. I usually know everything regarding these things...hmm..

No, there isn't a fourth......it's a trilogy. 'The Golden Compass' is the film version of 'Northern Lights' that is due for release soonish.

I'm hoping that the film doesn't irritate me as much as the Harry Potters do. I just hate it when long books are made into films......it kills them. I have such vivid imagery from the books that I think the film will not be able to even get close to. As for Daniel Craig....already to me the casting just doesn't suit.

However, I did see 'Northern Lights' and 'The Subtle Knife' as a play and it worked really well. Even the Daemons looked good.

Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

79 Reviews

Reviews: 79
Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:17 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

"The Book of Dust" is a companion novel to HDM, and, like I said before, concentrates on the backstories of the more minor characters, and also continues Lyra's story.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:28 pm
Teague says...

Alainna wrote:No, there isn't a fourth......it's a trilogy. 'The Golden Compass' is the film version of 'Northern Lights' that is due for release soonish.

Must be a different title then, like Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone.

I have the first book under the name "The Golden Compass."
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

79 Reviews

Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:36 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

Razorblade_Saint wrote:
Alainna wrote:No, there isn't a fourth......it's a trilogy. 'The Golden Compass' is the film version of 'Northern Lights' that is due for release soonish.

Must be a different title then, like Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone.

I have the first book under the name "The Golden Compass."

That's exactly right. The proper title for the first book is 'Northern Lights' but they changed it (they seem to be getting into the habit of doing it these days) for the American version. 'The Golden Compass' is also the name for the upcoming film.
There's always been a lot of tension between Lois and me, and it's not so much that I want to kill her, it's just, I want her to not be alive anymore.

~Stewie Griffin

410 Reviews

Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:04 pm
Alainna says...

Oh, sorry for confusing everyone!!

I hate the fact that the American version of books have to have different titles. What's wrong with 'Northern Lights'? They did that with 'Junk' as well......called it 'Smack' in America. Which I think is silly 'cos they're by English authors and are set in England...so they should have the English titles...

Alainna
xxx

EDIT: Looks like I just had a bit of a rant.....oops.. :oops:

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:05 am
Mythic Writing says...

I've never read His Dark Materials but have been meaning to. Would anyone here recommend it to someone who doesn't like Lord of the Rings, likes Terry Pratchett and Harry Potter?

I have been thinking about borrowing be books, and everyone seems to be confusing me with whether I should read them or not.

Help?
Cause We are Gonna Be
Forever You and Me
You Will Always Keep Me High
Flighing High in the Sky of Love
~Lighthouse Family, High

79 Reviews

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:58 pm
Cpt. Smurf says...

I would definitely read them, because they are decent books. However, you may find them a bit of a struggle, as they are more Tolkeiny than Pratchett or Rowling, mostly due to the lack of humour. Just power on through them, it took my a couple of goes to actually get into the first one, but once you're there, it's all good!

~Stewie Griffin

410 Reviews

Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:45 pm
Alainna says...

Mythic Writing wrote:I've never read His Dark Materials but have been meaning to. Would anyone here recommend it to someone who doesn't like Lord of the Rings, likes Terry Pratchett and Harry Potter?

I have been thinking about borrowing be books, and everyone seems to be confusing me with whether I should read them or not.

Help?

YES!!

I really struggled with liking Lord Of The Rings but I love Harry Potter. And yet I also love this series which is more of a cross between the two- just more original. If you give it a go you won't get bored; trust me.

Alainna
xxxxxx

Got YWS?

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:10 pm
Teague says...

Alainna wrote:Oh, sorry for confusing everyone!!

I hate the fact that the American version of books have to have different titles. What's wrong with 'Northern Lights'? They did that with 'Junk' as well......called it 'Smack' in America. Which I think is silly 'cos they're by English authors and are set in England...so they should have the English titles...

Alainna
xxx

EDIT: Looks like I just had a bit of a rant.....oops.. :oops:

I couldn't agree more!

Because they change all that stuff I didn't know Harry Potter was set in England until the movie came out. =/
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

188 Reviews

Reviews: 188
Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:05 pm
Evangelina says...

I've read HDM and I loved them to death. Then I reread them...and I loved them even more!
Break the boundaries, hunt the hunter, and leave me a tip.
----to kill or not to kill

410 Reviews

Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:01 pm
Alainna says...

Evangelina wrote:I've read HDM and I loved them to death. Then I reread them...and I loved them even more!

Have you tried any other Pullman books? What about The Butterfly Tattoo? If you liked this series then you would probably like his other pieces.

Alainna
xxxx

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:11 am
intheblowinwind says...

These books are amazing. The creativity and breadth of the story is wonderful, and his themes are powerful and important. Pullman's writing style is excellent as well.
There are no strangers...only friends not yet met...He who finds friends, finds treasure.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu May 01, 2008 7:12 pm
Tyd says...

I've read them :D They were very good and exciting! My favourite was the first book :P The ending was ... :X
As is a tale, so is life; not how long it is, but how good it is.

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina