z

Young Writers Society

The Once and Future King: T.H. White

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:17 pm
backgroundbob says...

I'm a guy who likes his fiction thoughtful, and fantasy just ain't there too often when it comes down to it; give your characters a sword, staff and an undefeatable evil to defeat, and suddenly you've got a good cartoon.

But, like any rule, there are exceptions, and some are truly.. well, exceptional. T.H. White's The Once and Future King is most definitely one of those.
Based around the classic Arthurian legend written in the Mallory, this set of five books puts an entirely new spin on Arthur, Lancelot, Gueneviere et. al, and actually turns it from just another legend into something very, very relavent to today's society. White's characters are a joy to watch unfolding; Arthur, Lancelot, Merlin, Mordred; they're all atypical and completely unexpected.

The novel is surreal in places, and is often more of a metaphor than a story, but it still holds together well. If you like your philosophy, and if you're set for a whirlwind assault on politics, philosophers and society in general, this is for you. I'd recommend it as one of my favourite books of all time, just because of the thinking it makes you do when you're done. A real tour de force.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:11 pm
BettyPaige says...

Yeah, I have a first edition of it, spiffy huh? Its the one that inspired the musical Camelot. I always really like it.

Bett
All I learned in life, I learned from reading banned books.

I like my life with a little salt, a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

"Be yourself" is not advice. It's an existential crisis waiting to happen.
— Hank Green