z

Young Writers Society

'To Kill a Mockingbird'

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 pm
KnightlyAngel09 says...

I really liked To Kill a Mockingbird. It was the first Pulitzer Prize winner I ever read. I read it when I was 13 I guess... I LOVED the scene where he talks about equality in the courtroom. And I also like the part where Jem learns a lesson from the old lady who wouldn't take morphine. I think it's a great book that has a hell lot of insight. Love the end of the book... The part where Atticus says most people have a lot of good in them when you get to know them... something like that. although I found it rather hard to read at times but I still think it's an awesome read.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:19 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

I cannot explain how much I love that book. It was the first classic I ever read and I just love it so much. I am a firm believer in equality so I liked it for that reason, but for so many. I LOVED the characters. Atticus and Scout and Jem, aw, they're just amazing. Seriously, everyone should read this book. I adored it. That's all I can say really, some unintelligible mutterings. I loved the book xD I could see, however, how you wouldn't like it. So it's just a matter of personal opinion I guess.
xD
xoxo
for what are we without words and stories?

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:34 am
How2EataRhesus says...

I first read TKAM when I was eleven, and honestly...it was okay. But just okay.

I'm not quite sure why I don't seem to favor it as much as most people; maybe I just had high expectations or something. Maybe it's because I live near where it's set (the name of my town is actually mentioned at least once in the book). I have to say, I did love the movie, but I don't share the same appreciation for it as most people do, I guess.

Okay, semi-rant over. :]
'Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold.' - Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:02 am
GryphonFledgling says...

I actually didn't read this book until last year. It is my friend's favorite book and she kept pestering me to read it, while I invented excuse after excuse. I just wasn't all that interested. Then we read it for English.

Omigosh, but it blew my socks off. I'm not really sure what it is about it that really makes me love it so much, but I really do. Absolutely amazing read.

I think it's the characters, along with the narration. Probably mostly the narration. It is so true to life. I've never really been in any of these situations, and yet they ring so true to my own life that I felt an instant kinship with the book. I remember thinking the exact same way Scout does and it makes me look back on myself and chuckle or wince as the situation has it.

Really, Harper Lee struck crazy literary genius gold with this book.

~GryphonFledgling

P.S. With the understanding that I love TKAM as much as anyone, check out this video. It makes the book ten times more awesome, though I wish Atticus had a bigger part. Atticus is the man.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/mockingbird
"And the Mockingbird was like 'Yeah right,' 'cuz no one can kill a mockingbird..."
I am reminded of the babe by you.

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:29 pm
Swires says...

Wonderful. Wonderful. WONDERFUL novel. I think Atticus is probably one of the greatest characters in literature. A cross-section of racial history interwoven with a journey into adulthood. Lightning plot with subtle characters makes for a divine read!
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon