z

Young Writers Society

House of The Scorpion

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu May 22, 2008 1:29 am
writ3rindisguis3 says...

I just finished reading The House of The Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. I thought it was a fantastic book.

Nancy addresses the issue on clones and I loved how she showed the feelings of the clone.

The story goes through the clones life from the age of 5-14. It has love, hate, anger, jealousy, and adventure in it.

Awesome book!!! It is definitely on my favorites list.

Here's the summary:
Born into a dystopian future, Matteo Alacran learns that he is the clone of El Patron, a powerful drug lord who rules the country of Opium. As a clone, Matt is considered an “animal” by El Patron’s greedy family, who throw him in a cell and leave a maid to abuse him. When El Patron realizes what his relatives have done, he rescues Matt and places him under the care of Celia, a surrogate mother, and Tam Lin, a Scottish bodyguard. Acknowledged now as the “protégé” of the evil El Patron, Matt grows up trapped in a society where enemies abound. Eventually, he flees the estate, only to be captured by “Keepers” who put him to work. Yet again, Matt must endure severe trials to escape and bring redemption to El Patron’s evil empire.

The novel explores the struggle between science and humanity, presenting a dystopian possibility for the future. Although The House of the Scorpion is somewhat long with a rather complicated plot, secondary-school students will enjoy reading Matt’s haunting story of survival. Be aware that there is some mild language and fairly graphic descriptions of abuse and violence.

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Thu May 22, 2008 2:30 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

I've seen this in bookstores and wanted to read it. I read Nancy Farmer's "The Sea of Trolls" and I really enjoyed her style.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat May 24, 2008 6:51 am
Iya Ythmir says...

I've read the book too and it is really wonderful. As I read through it, the words "sci-fi" never even crossed my mind and it almost falls into that genre. Up to now, I think of this book whenever I see news about clones, I think of this book. :wink:

This looks like a really bad episode of Green Acres.
— David Letterman