z

Young Writers Society

Bram Stoker's Dracula

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:07 pm
Alainna says...

I finally finished this book a week ago after having to stop and start all the time.

I really loved parts of it - some of the characters were so vivid and the book was very well written. However, I found that the ending was a massive let down and the last four chapters dragged a bit as they were fairly repetitive.

Anyone else read it? Thoughts?

Alainna
xxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:34 pm
Rydia says...

A friend recommended it to me a few weeks ago actually. Is it worth reading? Does the good outweigh the bad?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:40 pm
Alainna says...

It's absolutely worth reading - the whole subject of the vampires really hooked me.

The good do outweigh the bad in my eyes.

xx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm
Lancrist says...

I might have found the book an exciting read if I had read it one hundred years ago.

I forced myself through it because, hey, it's Dracula.

And yes, the ending was a huge anti-climax.

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:44 pm
Rubric says...

AS most modern vampiric are drawn from stokers research and imgination, the book is definitely worth reading simply to see where it all originated, and to grasp how more modern authors have adapted *classical* vampire myths and interpretations to suit their needs.

I like the narrative style, of journal entries, as it really tells a story and explains that telling as it does, while switching seamlessly between narrators.

Again, anticlimax was a let down
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

Remember when dad's shoulders were the highest place on earth and your mom was your hero? Race issues were about who ran the fastest, war was only a car game. The most pain you felt was when you skinned your knees, and good byes only meant tomorrow? And we couldn't wait to grow up.
— Unknown