z

Young Writers Society

A brief history of boys I fancied as a teenager

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:33 pm
Chanson says...

VIDEO SHOP GUY: A small independent video shop opened up across the road from my house, owned by a nice 30 something man and his mum. I was about seven when it opened, and fifteen when it shut down, and I spent a lot of time in there chatting to the owners, eating the toffees they kept in a bowl on the counter and choosing between My Girl 2 (first one was too sad to watch too many times, but in the second one she kisses a cute guy – her sort of cousin actually - and gets her ears pierced, so happy days), Now and Then, Blank Cheque or Monkey Business, which were the four films I rotated for pretty much all of my early adolescence, to the point where when the shop had to close down, the lady saved me Blank Cheque and Monkey Business as a present. Which was nice, although pointless because they were on VHS and it was 2004. But it was the thought. ANYWAY.

When I was maybe eleven they hired a young guy to help out on weekend. I thought Young Video Shop Guy was so cool. He wore black turtlenecks, had glasses and floppy hair, studied Philosophy and had seen all the scary movies. Also, he was nineteen, which somehow in my 11 year old mind seemed completely viable, and not like he was twenty or something out of reach. I’d walk in and loudly announce my presence, then spend half an hour flopping around the tiny shop, sighing and picking up and replacing video boxes until he’d say “Do you want me to help you pick?” and come out from behind the counter and my cheeks would flush and I’d half wish I wasn’t there at all, the embarrassment was so intense. One night we had a conversation at the counter that went like this

ME: So what are you going to do tonight?
HIM: Well, I finish work at eleven.
ME: Eleven! [I didn’t even know it stayed open that late. That seemed so late!] That’s so late! So you can’t do anything then.
HIM: Hmmm, I’ll probably go to a friend’s house.
ME: A friend’s house at ELEVEN?

Could he have been cooler? No. Nineteen, turtlenecks, and going to a friend’s houses at almost midnight? I pretty much moved into the shop after that. Needless to say, nothing ever happened, and eventually Video Shop Guy faded into a distant memory.

Years later, long after the shop had shut down, I saw him at a café in town, sitting with his knees knocking under the table with the owner guy from the video shop.

SUMMER CAMP TEACHER: Summer Camp guy who worked at the summer school I attended for ‘gifted children’ (hmmm) was kind and lots of fun. He’s the only one of my infatuations whose name I actually knew and who I spent time with. He was 19 and I was 15, but because he was in a position of authority he seemed years older and more mature then I felt. One day when he appeared to be in a bad mood, or maybe he was just tired, I wrote a letter on a torn piece of paper on my way to class that said “Cheer up you grumpy monkey! From your secret admirer!” and signed it with hearts. Then I raced down the boy’s corridor and slipped it under his door. This seemed like the best idea I had ever had right until the page was under the door. The very second it was too late, I realized how cringey it was. I was kicking myself and couldn’t concentrate on anything for the rest of the day. Grumpy monkey? What in the name of fuck had I been thinking? I had to get it back! I spent all of class trying to construct increasingly elaborate and desperate plans to retrieve it before he returned to his room, but it was futile. I just had to hope he wouldn’t guess who it was.

Turns out he didn’t need to guess. One of the boys on the floor had seen me in the boy’s corridor, which was out of bounds to girls, and had told on me. I was caught. Luckily for me, I think the poor teacher was more awkward about it then I was and never mentioned it, although his flat mate called me monkey for the next two weeks.

Recently, a friend of mine sent me a link to said Summer Camp Teacher’s Facebook page. My first thought was, wow, he’s as hot as ever! And second was, oh, he’s kissing a boy. Clearly I was terrible at noticing sexuality as a young teenager.

CORNER SHOP GUY: I was 16 and way too old for the way I acted around him. He was always friendly and nice to me, even though it was totally obvious I was into him. I day dreamed about him constantly, and based on very vague evidence decided his name was Paul. I once visited the newsagents a record of four times in the space of an evening. Each time I had more make up and was buying something more unnecessary. The fourth time, urged on by my friend, I changed my outfit entirely, hobbling across the road in tight jeans, knee-high four inch boots and a plunging top to a buy a pack of cookies in almost entirely 20 cent coins. His co worker, a small young woman who was always rude, said “Oh, look who’s back. What a surprise.” ‘Paul’ told her to watch her mouth, and was extra nice to me as I paid. He loves me too, I thought gleefully, hobbling back across the road.

I thought he might have the idea I was in University so I occasionally made references to “working for my course” and “being challenged by my schedule” and never went in in my school uniform. My cover was blown when I got on the bus one day going to school, mouth full with an entire chocolate doughnut I’d had to stuff in my mouth while I looked for change, and there he was on the same bus. I almost fell down the stairs in shock as he nodded at me. My cover was blown! In retrospect, it’s clear he was never convinced. After all, he once saw me actually get on my hands and knees to hide behind a bin in an attempt at avoiding a group of spotty boys in their school uniforms (another story), not a hobby shared by most college students.

In my first year of actually being in college, sitting on a doorstep at three in the morning with my first boyfriend, a guy stopped to ask for a lighter. As we made eye contact, we both had the instant spark of recognition. “It’s great to see you again,” Corner Shop Guy said, before heading off and even then I still cringed to think of myself in my heels and padded bra, buying cookies, so painfully trying.
"And Matt Muir. Matt Muir, he's the sweetest guy. Have you ever looked into his eyes? It's like the first time I heard the Beatles" Superbad

318 Reviews

Reviews: 318
Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 pm
Abigail_W. says...

Hey Chanson! First off, I have to say that I really like this. I've written similar lists, but certainly not as detailed or as interesting. Also, I'm only 14, so there may or may not be more silly fancies to come. Anyway, all of my comments will be fairly insignificant, rather than philosophical musings on the lessons of your teenage crushes. I'll do cons before pros because then you leave on a positive note. :wink:

Cons

Chanson wrote:VIDEO SHOP GUY: A small independent video shop opened up across the road from my house, owned by a nice 30 something man and his mum. I was about seven when it opened, and fifteen when it shut down, and I spent a lot of time in there chatting to the owners, eating the toffees they kept in a bowl on the counter and choosing between My Girl 2 (first one was too sad to watch too many times, but in the second one she kisses a cute guy – her sort of cousin actually - and gets her ears pierced, so happy days), Now and Then, Blank Cheque or Monkey Business, which were the four films I rotated for pretty much all of my early adolescence, to the point where when the shop had to close down, the lady saved me Blank Cheque and Monkey Business as a present. Which was nice, although pointless because they were on VHS and it was 2004. But it was the thought. ANYWAY.

Do you see how long the sentence in red is? If I were to rewrite this paragraph, it would be something like this ...

Abigail_W. wrote:VIDEO SHOP GUY: A small independent video shop owned by a nice 30 something man and his mum opened up across the road from my house when I was about seven, and it shut down when I was fifteen. I spent a lot of time in there chatting to the owner, eating the toffees they kept in a bowl on the counter, an choosing between My Girl 2 (first one was too sad to watch too many times, but in the second one she kisses a cute guy - her sort of cousin actually - and gets her ears perced, so happy days), Now and Then, Blank Cheque, or Monkey Business. I rotated these four films for pretty much all of my early adolscence, to the point where the lady saved me Blank Cheque and Monkey Business as a present when the shop had to close down. Which was nice, although pointless because it was 2004 and they were on VHS. But it was the thought. Anyway.

See the good a little rearrangement of phrases can do?

Chanson wrote:When I was maybe eleven they hired a young guy to help out on weekend. I thought Young Video Shop Guy was so cool. He wore black turtlenecks, had glasses and floppy hair, studied philosophy and had seen all the scary movies. Also, he was nineteen, which somehow in my eleven year old mind seemed completely viable, and not like he was twenty or something out of reach. I’d walk in and loudly announce my presence, then spend half an hour flopping around the tiny shop, sighing and picking up and replacing video boxes until he’d say “Do you want me to help you pick?” and come out from behind the counter and my cheeks would flush and I’d half wish I wasn’t there at all, the embarrassment was so intense. One night we had a conversation at the counter that went like this:

Just a few minor corrections.

Chanson wrote:Years later, long after the shop had shut down, I saw him at a café in town, sitting with his knees knocking under the table with the owner guy from the video shop.

What were your impressions? What did he look like? If it's nothing special, make it up. I want to know!

Chanson wrote:SUMMER CAMP TEACHER: Summer Camp Guy who worked at the summer school I attended for ‘gifted children’ (hmmm) was kind and lots of fun. He’s was the only one of my infatuations whose name I actually knew and whom I spent time with. He was nineteen and I was fifteen, but because he was in a position of authority he seemed years older and more mature then I felt. One day when he appeared to be in a bad mood, or maybe he was just tired, I wrote a letter on a torn piece of paper on my way to class that said, “Cheer up you grumpy monkey! From your secret admirer!” and signed it with hearts. Then I raced down the boy’s corridor and slipped it under his door. This seemed like the best idea I had ever had right until the page was under the door. The very second it was too late, I realized how cringey it was. I was kicking kicked myself and couldn’t concentrate on anything for the rest of the day. Grumpy monkey? What in the name of fuck had I been thinking? I had to get it back! I spent all of class trying to construct increasingly elaborate and desperate plans to retrieve it before he returned to his room, but it was futile. I just had to hope he wouldn’t guess who it was.

Just some more corrections. Passive tense = bad. Also stay consistent in your choice on writing out numbers.

Chanson wrote:In my first year of actually being in college, sitting on a doorstep at three in the morning with my first boyfriend, a guy stopped to ask for a lighter. As we made eye contact, we both had the instant spark of recognition. “It’s great to see you again,” Corner Shop Guy said, before heading off, and even then I still cringed to think of myself in my heels and padded bra, buying cookies, so painfully trying.

Everyone remembers the starts and ends or things the best, so it's super important for them to be perfect.

Pros

Chanson wrote:Which was nice, although pointless because they were on VHS and it was 2004. But it was the thought. ANYWAY.

Love the personal touch.

Chanson wrote:Clearly I was terrible at noticing sexuality as a young teenager.

This made me laugh. It's just so true, you know? So many of us teenagers are clueless when it comes to sexuality, whether it be that of others or ourselves, and this little tidbit sort of touched on that.

Chanson wrote:“It’s great to see you again,” Corner Shop Guy said, before heading off and even then I still cringed to think of myself in my heels and padded bra, buying cookies, so painfully trying.

Sometimes I have trouble ending things that I write, but you did a great job with this ending. I have no way of knowing, but I have a feeling you really put a lot of thought into this. "So painfully trying." Even though you were referring to just one instance with these words, it really referred to the whole article and touched upon something everyone who has been in a one-sided love has felt. So painfully tring. And yet somehow you know it's going to be in vain, you know it's silly, you know the relationship will never develop or never go far. I may be reading too much into this, but nonetheless, it's undeniably excellent.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Hahah! This was so cute. :) I know this sounds pretty insulting, but I love how shallow you made yourself sound. It made it seem like you had gotten over it and the very thoughts of your first fancies were, although embarrassing, very amusing as well! So I definitely liked that.

The one thing that I missed was I kind of wished this had an introduction and a conclusion. I say this because I kind of wanted your list of guys and the amusing stories associated with them to continue on to infinity and when it didn't... well... I was kind of sad.

But still! I love your writing! :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:41 am
View Likes
Chanson says...

Thanks so much for the comments guys!

Also, in an effort to look at the likes, I liked my own post... how embarrassing, sorry.
"And Matt Muir. Matt Muir, he's the sweetest guy. Have you ever looked into his eyes? It's like the first time I heard the Beatles" Superbad

381 Reviews

Reviews: 381
Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:01 pm
Fand says...

Chanson! <3

This made me giggle, and think back about my own ridiculous and embarrassing crushes from teenagedom. I agree with pretty much everything Snoinkus said--the sort of world-wise and self-amused, "how silly was I then?" tone throughout was absolutely endearing, and made me want to cuddle you and trade stories over a glass of wine.

I also agree with some of the points Abby made, and will reiterate--passive voice bad! At least, that's generally how I feel. While it's never good to overdo it, especially with something like passive voice which by its very nature weakens prose, I think the careful and purposeful application of it in something like this--a personal reflection, in the first person--can actually be a pro rather than a con, as it brings out your voice more. And, let's face it--even the best writer can't escape the occasional use of passive voice in speech! It makes it feel more conversational, which I think works well.

Anyway, I hope this was the least bit useful; first review in, er, years? Yikes. But yes, this was a sweet little bit of fluff, and left me smiling at the end of it, so thanks!
Bitter Charlie :: Shady Grove, CA :: FreeRice (162,000/1,000,000)

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:30 am
lovethelifeulive says...

Hi!
This wont be too helpful, but I just wanted to say that this was brilliant! I would really like for you to write more about the boys in your life. In school, at work or to write about the boy next door that you saw yourself in a relationship with but didn't do anything about it, stuff like that.
I really enjoyed reading this short story and hope to read more like this from you soon.
If you prick us, shall we not bleed?
If you tickle us, shall we not laugh?
If you poison us, shall we not die?
If you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
The Merchants of Venice-Shakespear
Love the life u live,
and live the life u love

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:37 pm
squarened says...

This was incredibly amusing. It actually reminded me a lot of those Georgia Nicholson books (not just because I can tell you're British -- if I am wrong then... I'm sorry haha?). I feel like I can totally relate to this, even just on this level of when you're that young you have trouble looking at the way you're acting objectively. I really liked the way you ended this little piece with this line:

I still cringed to think of myself in my heels and padded bra, buying cookies, so painfully trying.

I especially like "so painfully trying," because that just sums up that age 11-15 so ridiculously well. I just loved this and thought it was amazing, and yeah. Nice work!

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:20 pm
Lollipopper says...

Chanson, you simply made my day.
This was hilarious. I love how you were completely open and honest with all of us. That's what made it so good! And I love that your taste in guys wasn't normal. I mean, not what your average star-struck teenager would like.
And I love how the summer camp teacher turned out to be gay. That made my life.
This is a pretty useless post . I just thought I may contribute!

--Lollipopper!
Yeah, that's Hedwig staring at you determinedly.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:59 pm
LiesOnLies says...

I'm sorry, I found this not very intersting at all. I really do not need to know about men in your life and I'm surprised that other people enjoyed this. I'm glad it wasn't sexual in any way...that would have made it ten times worse. I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but a diary isn't something that I would consider much of a story. Yes, it's a story of your life, but if I had known before hand of what lied ahead I would not have even wasted my time reading it.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:40 am
beccalicious94 says...

I really loved this piece. It was very informal, and that was comforting in a way. I could totally relate to having crushes on boys who didn't even have me on their radars, and of course, being completely unaware of men's sexuality. This piece definitely made me laugh, and I look forward to reading your other work! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 88
Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:03 pm
Doxie00 says...

Haha this was AWESOME ! :D I loved it! Really funny and i liked the way you were so matter-factly with everything. Also i was very detailed which is something i like! :)

But i must admit that i got a little bit confused at parts.... I think there was this message you were trying to convey when you said :

"Years later, long after the shop had shut down, I saw him at a café in town, sitting with his knees knocking under the table with the owner guy from the video shop."

What exactly when you said that? SOrry im a little slow sometimes T_T

ANyways keep writing!! :)

The fact that many girls can relate to this was also good!

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:55 am
reaganpark says...

Sorry, this is going to be really short. But I just wanted to say that I loved this! I like how honest you were, and blunt about the way you acted. :D It made me laugh in almost every paragraph!

I agree that there should be more of a beginning and ending, but other than that, it was awesome.
WE ARE DAUGHTERS of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him.

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:24 pm
MasterGrieves says...

This is really funny, but also really sad in places :( I loved it. You rock!
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

Random avatar

Reviews: 19
Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:31 am
Echo090 says...

VIDEO SHOP GUY: A small independent video shop opened up across the road from my house, owned by a nice 30 something man and his mum. I was about seven when it opened, and fifteen when it shut down, and I spent a lot of time in there chatting to the owners, eating the toffees they kept in a bowl on the counter and choosing between My Girl 2 (first one was too sad to watch too many times, but in the second one she kisses a cute guy – her sort of cousin actually - and gets her ears pierced, so happy days), Now and Then, Blank Cheque or Monkey Business, which were the four films I rotated for pretty much all of my early adolescence, to the point where when the shop had to close down, the lady saved me Blank Cheque and Monkey Business as a present. Which was nice, although pointless because they were on VHS and it was 2004. But it was the thought. ANYWAY.

The second sentence of the first paragraph was a run-on sentence. For me, it should be revise to this:
VIDEO SHOP GUY: A small independent video shop opened up across the road from my house, owned by a nice 30 something man and his mum. I was about seven when it opened, and fifteen when it shut down. I spent a lot of time in there chatting to the owners, eating the toffees they kept in a bowl on the counter and choosing between My Girl 2 (first one was too sad to watch too many times, but in the second one she kisses a cute guy – her sort of cousin actually - and gets her ears pierced, so happy days), Now and Then, Blank Cheque or Monkey Business, which were the four films I rotated for pretty much all of my early adolescence, to the point where when the shop had to close down. The lady saved me Blank Cheque and Monkey Business as a present. Which was nice, although pointless because they were on VHS and it was 2004. But it was the thought. ANYWAY.

When I was maybe eleven they hired a young guy to help out on weekend. I thought Young Video Shop Guy was so cool. He wore black turtlenecks, had glasses and floppy hair, studied Philosophy and had seen all the scary movies. Also, he was nineteen, which somehow in my 11 year old mind seemed completely viable, and not like he was twenty or something out of reach. I’d walk in and loudly announce my presence, then spend half an hour flopping around the tiny shop, sighing and picking up and replacing video boxes until he’d say “Do you want me to help you pick?” and come out from behind the counter and my cheeks would flush and I’d half wish I wasn’t there at all, the embarrassment was so intense. One night we had a conversation at the counter that went like this

Punctuation issues!
When I was maybe eleven, they hired a young guy to help out on weekend. I thought Young Video Shop Guy was so cool. He wore black turtlenecks, had glasses and floppy hair, studied Philosophy and had seen all the scary movies. Also, he was nineteen, which somehow in my 11 year old mind seemed completely viable, and not like he was twenty or something out of reach. I’d walk in and loudly announce my presence, then spend half an hour flopping around the tiny shop, sighing and picking up and replacing video boxes until he’d say “Do you want me to help you pick?” and come out from behind the counter and my cheeks would flush and I’d half wish I wasn’t there at all, the embarrassment was so intense. One night we had a conversation at the counter that went like this.

ME: Eleven! [I didn’t even know it stayed open that late. That seemed so late!] That’s so late! So you can’t do anything then.
Redundancy issues.
ME: Eleven! [I didn’t even know it stayed open that late. That seemed so late!] That’s so late! So you can’t do anything then. Erase: That seemed so late! Because in the dialogue he had said it.

SUMMER CAMP TEACHER: Summer Camp guy who worked at the summer school I attended for ‘gifted children’ (hmmm) was kind and lots of fun. He’s the only one of my infatuations whose name I actually knew and who I spent time with. He was 19 and I was 15, but because he was in a position of authority he seemed years older and more mature then I felt. One day when he appeared to be in a bad mood, or maybe he was just tired, I wrote a letter on a torn piece of paper on my way to class that said “Cheer up you grumpy monkey! From your secret admirer!” and signed it with hearts. Then I raced down the boy’s corridor and slipped it under his door. This seemed like the best idea I had ever had right until the page was under the door. The very second it was too late, I realized how cringey it was. I was kicking myself and couldn’t concentrate on anything for the rest of the day. Grumpy monkey? What in the name of fuck had I been thinking? I had to get it back! I spent all of class trying to construct increasingly elaborate and desperate plans to retrieve it before he returned to his room, but it was futile. I just had to hope he wouldn’t guess who it was.

Another case of punctuation issue.
SUMMER CAMP TEACHER: Summer Camp guy who worked at the summer school I attended for ‘gifted children’ (hmmm) was kind and lots of fun. He’s the only one of my infatuations whose name I actually knew and who I spent time with. He was 19 and I was 15, but because he was in a position of authority. he seemed years older and more mature then I felt. One day when he appeared to be in a bad mood, or maybe he was just tired, I wrote a letter on a torn piece of paper on my way to class that said “Cheer up you grumpy monkey! From your secret admirer!” and signed it with hearts. Then I raced down the boy’s corridor and slipped it under his door. This seemed like the best idea I had ever had right until the page was under the door. The very second it was too late, I realized how cringey it was. I was kicking myself and couldn’t concentrate on anything for the rest of the day. Grumpy monkey? What in the name of fuck had I been thinking? I had to get it back! I spent all of class trying to construct increasingly elaborate and desperate plans to retrieve it before he returned to his room, but it was futile. I just had to hope he wouldn’t guess who it was.

Overall, if I disregard the several punctuation issues, I think it is... well not that good. Formality isn't really a problem here. Style of writing was good but here's what I missed. No story is good without this: an introduction. Just to start of with your first event was not that very impressive for me. Probably you could have wrote a short paragraph of you perspective towards teenage boys before starting the events. Your epilogue sucks badly too. Perhaps more feelings and thoughts over the brief history you have wrote. The body was quite good, but not very impressive. You only told of the story of the history, thus it seemed flat.

102 Reviews

Reviews: 102
Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:16 pm
michaeld says...

Haha this was cute! I enjoyed reading it! So the whole time, I was wondering if it was really a real list, or if it was just going to be an intro to a novel or short story. If it's an intro, then I'm excited to see the rest of it! If it's a real list, then I think that there could have been a better ending than just ending it abruptly right then and there. Other than that, it was a fun read! Keep writing! :D
"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ~ Anton Chekhov

I love her dearly, but I can’t live with her for a day without feeling my whole life is wasting away.
— Miss Kenton, The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro