z

Young Writers Society

An Evening with a Vegan

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:20 pm
Kylan says...

It was a summer knot. Or maybe she did her hair like that all the time, during a Michigan winter or in Spring's seediness. I don't know the name of it—I want to call it a French knot, to imply feigned apathy, canal summers, an accentuation of the neck and the heart-considerate smell of the garlic cloves she peeled with the tips of her fingers. She said she was a vegan, and I believed it and saw a poem in the way she diced the cloves and cleaned the knife, with a grace in nourishment—the kind of motion you might associate with the nuanced brittleness of a violin's bow-pass, or the implication of every citrus thing in an orange brushstroke. I knew, then, what she tasted. How one might consider the the soapstone taste of a polyp of cauliflower, or the bitterness in a purple-veined lettuce leaf—mull it over, and place it beside the grief of a nut or celery's hollow. The textures and chromatics of food, and fresh, good food at that. The hands associated with vegetables, the shake to dislodge soil and mineral. I imagined what it might be like to be vegan then, as she pulsed sesame seeds. It would be peace with hunger and fullness, it would a fresh mind, a new mouth, a preciseness in chopping, and a love of smooth skins, be they apple or infant.
I knew I could never have any of that.
I don't feel hungry any more, except at 7 am, and even then it is a hunger that passes. I do not crave bell pepper straws or apple cider vinegar. I'm not sure I crave anything anymore but the feeling of something in my mouth, the sensation of oil, the transatlantic boredom of chocolate. My energy is devoted elsewhere, in writing and thinking and worrying and dying of heartbreak five times a day. I am fascinated by the motors and kinetics of the body, or how sheer whim can move ten fingers, but I am my being and not my throat, my scalp, my knees. At age fifteen, I dissected the slippery urn of a pig's heart in an American history class. The teacher gave an estimation of how many beats a heart is allowed, and anthropomorphisized the organ's labor, so that I left the class with the intention of exercising, avoiding bad cholesterol, considering the body a goddamn valiant attempt at immortality. But I soon forgot the number, and was grateful for it.
Of late, it has bothered me when someone refers to their body possessively—redistributing aches, pains, tremors to “my body”, as if they are somehow separate from it. It is an argument for the soul and an afterlife to disassociate oneself from the mane of nerves, the migraine's aura, the soreness of age, like sand between vertebrae, the vitrification of bones. If the mind and the body are separate, mutualistic entities, they can part like handmade lace in the end. My mother suffers from chronic pain, the catch-all diagnosis being fibromayalsia, and her body is her great nemesis—a bulky chintz thrift store luggage piece, a skin lugubrious as sealing wax, a cross and a burden and an inclination to pray. She can barely stay awake as she reads her scripture, numb as a shell to an ear, a sound that is not an ocean's but her own.
But I am no different. Most people aren't. There is a hover of distraction between body and soul. An inkling of interface. This is where the concept of the soul has come about—from this impression of finite, ossified boundary. To wish away hair color, complexion, a second toe larger than the big. I watched her juice limes, choose agave over honey for its less loping viscosity and I felt imbalanced, meat-based, unsunned in body and mind. I could not wait for the wraps which she called sandwiches, not to taste, but to consider and outwit. My sense of taste is dullest, and art is sensory, and what could be more meaningful than oral art, the nostalgia invoked in the taste of oregano and crushed tomatoes, the patriotism in mustard seed and watermelon, the red sea remembrances in flat, yeastless bread and pulse. There is art in shelter, art in war, and an incontrovertible art in nourishment. It is the art I found in the shredded violet cabbage, in the paired sweetness of raisins and carrots, in the loose, daylong knot of her hair.
Food brings people together. You can say nearly anything over food—a “happy anniversary”, or “one of you shall betray me, even he that eateth with me”. A passed platter of funeral potatoes or a glass of wine steeped in blood metaphor. While preparing this vegan picnic spread, I realized that I had only a shallow acquaintance with food, using it half the time in lazy mastication, to cultivate a yet shed oral fixation with fingernails, pencil ends, chewing gum. We ate cucumber slices as we prepared and I was sure to investigate every cell of taste, resurrect memories of lemon cucumbers grown in late July, jars with botulism, smoothness of legs, grass ticking up when you rise from it and I realized that a vegan who dices garlic with sensitivity, precision and heritage was daily ingesting the table bread of Rembrandt, the surreal squash Van Gogh, the outward seeds and flax of Seurat's pointillism. The reverence was exquisite. It made me forget every guacamole bacon burger I'd ever eaten, every carnival of chili cheese, the heavy billy club blow of buffet troughs, and chocolate milk. I was terrified that something fine was escaping me, a golden trout silt that I could wade through but never sift or pan.
It's possible that I can never have this because I am already an artist. To have learned art is to have devoted yourself to it. To have recognized art is to die in it, and either be reborn in it, or guide like Virgil through its rings and realms. To eat with her purity and honesty would be to forsake a kind of poetry for hers. Maybe when I have retired, and I have time to wash each potato with ceremony, and concentrate on the sliced slim-limbed sparseness between hunger and satisfaction, then I'll eat like her, with a bright face and a love of all religions, and a seasonal knot in my hair that could come undone at any moment. Maybe then my body and soul will claim no territories and I will disseminate seeds with no thought or garden in mind, and I will learn to treasure the heart and the hand.
Last edited by Kylan on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:04 pm
View Likes
GrandmaMuffin says...

wow.
If you expect the unexpected, wouldn't that make the unexpected the expected?
If 4 out of 5 people suffer from diarrhea, does that mean the fifth enjoys it?

~EPICFAIL~

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:44 am
Jelly says...

The first words that come to mind (after wow, of course) are startling and familiar. I love all the observations you have. I found them familiar without ever consciously thinking them before, like thinking of a vegan lifestyle as cleaner and more wholesome even if that's not always the case. The thoughts you presented seemed so right to read, nevermind my actual opinion on the matter. It was fascinating to read about your views. This is also probably the most articulate piece of writing I've ever read. Your vocabulary is great and you use it well. The similes were accurate and vivid. I loved the specific examples to describe everything. In conclusion: amazingly amazingly amazing. (Pshaw, you call it redundancy, I call it emphasis)
Thanks for sharing!
-- CC

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 am
Explosive_Pen says...

This is beautiful, but then again, I've always enjoyed your work. Because of that, I've always been too intimidated to offer a proper critique, but I'll do my best.
A few tiny things:

I love how you start out by describing the knot in her hair. It's so simple and it could have been just an arbitrary detail, but somehow, it works.

it would a fresh mind

I think you meant "it would be a fresh mind."

At age fifteen, I dissected the slippery urn of a pig's heart in an American history class.

This may just be a silly thing to pount out, but I don't quite understand why you're doing a dissection in a history class? Seems a bit out of place to me.

they can part like handmade lace in the end

This simile gave me chills.

You can say nearly anything over food—a “happy anniversary”, or “one of you shall betray me, even he that eateth with me”.

I love the biblical reference in this: mixing the everyday with the sacred.

I know I've already said this, but this piece was beautiful. Like Jelly said, it was both "startling and familiar." I love your use of vocabulary; you don't waste words or try to fit in a long, fancy one where a more mundane one would fit better. Each word serves a purpose and there are no empty spaces, no 'fluff' and that is something that (at least from my experience) is very hard to do. I found your description of the unity of body and soul both unnerving and accurate. I can't find any more words to say how much I enjoyed this. Simply amazing.
"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them."

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm
View Likes
Jiggity says...

Meat is awesome.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:51 pm
azntwinz2 says...

This was such a mind blower. Amazingly done!
Please make sure to check out my portfolio! Any comments are immensely desired!

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:08 pm
sarbear94 says...

It amazes me how many people overlook simple things such as food and what our bodies are to us. A round of applause to you for making the obvious beautiful.
I apologize if my independence unnerves you. Oh, wait... no... I'm definitely not ;)

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:28 pm
EmilyofREL says...

I agree with everyone else, this is beautiful. The power of food is not ordinary and you showed that wonderfully. The imagery is so vivid and beautiful. And the careful working in of Scripture worked very well. Great piece.
" My sense of taste is dullest, and art is sensory, and what could be more meaningful than oral art, the nostalgia invoked in the taste of oregano and crushed tomatoes, the patriotism in mustard seed and watermelon, the red sea remembrances in flat, yeastless bread and pulse. There is art in shelter, art in war, and an incontrovertible art in nourishment. It is the art I found in the shredded violet cabbage, in the paired sweetness of raisins and carrots, in the loose, daylong knot of her hair. "
This is my favorite passage. The attention to detail while she's chopping made it seem like i was standing there watching her hands.
I agree though...a dissection in history class is out of place, but the dissection works well with the piece...the class in which it's done can be easily fixed.
Formerly EmilytheNovelist
REL stands for Rachel, Emily, Lauren, the initials of my triplet sisters and I
“I wish my stove came with a Save As button like Word has. That way I could experiment with my cooking and not fear ruining my dinner.
”

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:01 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

This made me want to have a cheeseburger with garlic cloves.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:38 pm
empressoftheuniverse says...

I have nothing particularly novel to add except that I read this and then while I was reading an essay called "Against Joie de Vivre" I came across this paragraph:
I am saved from such culinary paganism by the fact that food is largely an indifferent matter to me. I rarely think much about what I am putting in my mouth. Though my savage, illiterate palate has inevitably been educated to some degree by the many meals I have shared with people who care normously about such things, I resist going any further. I am superstitious that the day I send back a dish at a restaurant, or make a complicated journey somewhere just for a meal, that day I will have sacrificed my freedom and traded in my soul for a lesser god.
Phillip Lopate
I just thought that was an interesting that I should read two opposing views on food in the same day.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:37 pm
TaylorTheGreat says...

That was... interesting. I would never of thought to write about a night with a vegan. Your descriptions of the way she moves, cooks, and looks, well, they are truley amazing. I wish I could write with description, but nobody has anything on you. You've got some talent, to write like that. Your story paints a vivid picture in my mind that helps me understand the girl's likeness. It's interesting, quite frankly. Keep on writing!

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 am
TinyDancer says...

Hey there:

I really liked this. I mean, really really liked it. But, there were some parts where I think you over-did some things. For example, you would occasionally add too many different images to one sentence. This was a bit disorienting for me personally. I liked your flow overall, but there were a few sentences where I just went "wait...what?" and had to re-read, and perhaps even re-re-read. This, I do not like to do. But, it was only occasionally, and that is only my opinion. Overall, my friend, you are fantasitc and wonderful and amazing and all that good stuff. You took a unique view on a unique topic, and I really like unique things. I also really loved how you started the piece, btw. Very creative ;) I didn't see any grammatical errors that others haven't already caught, so just fix those and perhaps polish up your descriptions a bit, and you'll be golden :)

~Jess
`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

“The circus arrives without warning.
No announcements precede it.
It is simply there,
When yesterday it was not.”

`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•`•.¸¸.•´´¯`••._.•

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:58 pm
AlfredSymon says...

It's in times like this that I take much consideration to being a Vegan...

In what I've just read, I feel not making any critiques. From your tone, your not trying to make a story, it's simply natural. A conversation maybe. Or a simple tale to while the time. I love works like this.

You made me say wow...you made me follow you. :)
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

There is nothing more radical or counter-cultural, at the moment, than laying down one’s cynicism in favour of tender vulnerability.
— John Green