z

Young Writers Society

Squills 2/15/13: YWS'tival Coverage

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:08 am
AlfredSymon says...

The thread you've stumbled into is the equivalent of a YWS newspaper, with each post in this thread being a news article. The focus of this paper is to give out a summary on the happenings of YWS at any given day and special features which tell about the new trends in YWS and current events. This feature runs all week long, featuring special coverage during events and certain occasions.

All members are welcome to submit their own news items. Keep in mind that all postings must comply with the YWS rules.

If you're an avid reader and want to pitch in or advertise or a concerned YWSer who wants to comment or ask us, then do so in the office at the Reader's Corner down below.

Reader's Corner
Spoiler! :
Submitting Articles
Submissions will be taken over the span of the day. Tomorrow, this thread will be locked and a new one will take its place. Anyone can post a news article or column as long as the topic is new, fresh, current and about the YWS or writing, art and humanities, is family-friendly and follows YWS rules.

Shameless Plugs
Why not advertise your newly constructed blog, your recent literary submission or your newest thread here at Squills? Just PM AlfredSymon and we can quote your advertisement for you as a shameless plug!

Letters to the Editor
Have any questions, comments or sggestions? Then share them to us please and let it be answer in public for all the readers' ease :D ! Please PM AlfredSymon for any letters for the editor.

Be a regular!
Just contact AlfredSymon if you want to be part of the creative staff!

Creative Staff
Spoiler! :
Technical Adviser: Griffinkeeper

Editor-in-Chief: AlfredSymon
General Correspondent: SparkofDoubt
Literary Correspondent: StellaThomas

Columnist: Clarity
Community Reporter: ShadowVyper
News Reporter: megsug

Comic Artist: Cspr
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

308 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 am
AlfredSymon says...

Casual Friday

Today is Casual Friday, the second to the last day of the YWS'tival! Over the past few days, everyone was challenged by the different crews with games and contests for everyone to feel the spirit of YWS, valentine's Day and the Lunar New Year. Now, have some time to relax with a Storybook on our very Casual Friday.

Post in The Lounge!
Join a Storybook!
Post in Storybooks!
Create a Storybook!

Main Event:
11pm GMT - Rydia - Sky Pirates vs Sky Ninjas Final Showdown

308 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:34 am
AlfredSymon says...

YWS'tival Official Poetry Contest Closes Today

In line with all the festivities of the YWS'tival, head organizer SparkofDoubt have invited YWSers and poem-readers to join the The Official YWS'tival Poetry Contest, wherein anyone can post a link to the best poem they've read in the Young Writers Society.

As long as it's not your work and you deem it great, you can submit its link on the thread. Sparkoufdoubt and Hannah compose the panel of judges. Prizes include review from both of them. The submission for entries ends today, Casual Friday, so be sure to post now!

308 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 am
AlfredSymon says...

Shameless Plugs

Griffinkeeper wrote:A Message from the YWS Fleet...

Squills wrote:Wanted: Comics Coordinator, someone who can commit on communicating with comic artists in and out of YWS to let us post their comics here, at Squills. PM AlfredSymon if you're interested.

308 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:47 am
AlfredSymon says...

Find a Storybook for Casual Friday

It's Casual Friday, today! What should we do? Join a Storybook! Here's a spotlight shed on three new and cool Storybook finds.

(Status: Recruiting)
Here's a cleverly made satire for Cats and Dogs. If you like animals, and want to be included in the PAWS/CLAWS, then drop by here!

(Status: Recruiting)
The title says it all. If you want a thrilling bus ride, come to this SB.

This is the awesome storybook for the celebration of the YWS'tival! Spend some time with a lot of members are you journey through as a Sky Pirate or Sky Ninja!

308 Reviews

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 am
AlfredSymon says...

Share the Love
This month of love, hear tips and experiences from our own YWS writers about writing romance and, well, love itself!

Good evening everybody (morning to those who're in a different time zone)! Here we are in Squills' newest featurette, Share the Love, wherein we can hear from our own YWS writers about the month of hearts!

Here we have Sunshine! Don't let her sunshiney smile fool you! This YWSer has a knack for reading, and guess what, romance is her fave! Sit down and listen to what she'll say about reading romance :D

AlfredSymon: Hello again, Sunshine!
You are today's interviewee for Share the Love!
May I ask what you did yesterday on Valentine's Day?

Sunshine: Sweet! I feel so special and... y'know, loved.
Ah, I don't have a boyfriend or anything, but I gave out Valentines to my friends, and received a rose from one of them- and my Track coach, telling me to run Track.

Alf: How about activities? Have you done anything writing or literature-related?
Sun: As for writing, not really. I wrote a passage in my novel before heading to a Basketball game, but it wasn't much.

Alf: How about reading? Have you recently read romance-themed books this February?
Sun: Yes, actually! I finished 'The Fortunes of Indigo Skye'- Deb Calletti is awesome for a good chick-romance book! I'm reading a Demigod romance right now, but probably to abandon it for 'The Fault in Our Stars'- heard it was really good! Anyway, I also read 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', but I don't feel like that counts...

Alf: Wow, those seem interesting book! Do you read romance often?
Sun: I like to read stuff mixed with romance- all too common these days! Indigo Skye was a lot of self-discovery, and I feel like that made her boyfriend all the more interesting. Romance is so easy to sneak in, most of the time I don't even realize I'm reading a romantic book!

Alf: True that! I sometimes notice that too. What do you think, though, is the strength of romance over other genres
Sun: That it speaks to more people, definitely! Harry Potter or Percy Jackson by themselves are completely substantial characters with intriguing worlds- but having crushes, having a girl they fluster over, makes them so much more real. Fantasy alone can only reach the hearts of so many people; but everybody wants a little love, whether they admit it or not.

Alf: Wow, those are truly wise words.
Can you recommend more book or novels with a bit of love in them?

Sun: You have no clue what you just got yourself into! *Takes break to look at bookshelf.*
*waits*
In the dystopian fad, go with Matched- the love traingle there is so well balanced! The Selection, however, is loaded with romantic possibilities! Out of the Werewolf world, the Shiver Triology is top-notch. If you like History at all, Ophelia and Sovay are both terrific. I also have to roll my die towards anything Deb Calletti. The woman knows how to write romance and life, when you're in the mood. Is that enough?

Alf: Very much Sunshine!
Well, I think our time ends now!
Thank you for sharing the romance and spending your time to talk with me and our readers!

Sun: Alright! It has been a delight to share the love. I would adore to say goodbye it a romantic language, but I don't know one, so... Tchaus, and thank you! You've been lovely!

Sunshine just shared all her favorite Young Adult romance novels! With this we hope that you have something to read this February!

Stay tuned for more Share the Love from Squills!

There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.
— Bram Stoker