z

Young Writers Society

Squills 2/4/13

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 pm
AlfredSymon says...

Welcome to Squills, the YWS news bulletin.

This thread is the equivalent of a YWS newspaper, with each post in this thread being a news article. The focus of this paper is on the happenings of YWS at any given day, but members are welcome to submit their own news items. Keep in mind that all postings must comply with the YWS rules.

Submissions will be taken over the span of the day. Tomorrow, this thread will be locked and a new one will take its place. This feature runs all week long, featuring special coverage during events and certain occasions.

If you have questions, news tips, letters to the editor, or if you would like to join the Squills Team, then please PM Griffinkeeper.

Staff Roster
Editor-in-Chief: Griffinkeeper
General Correspondent: alfredsymon
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

308 Reviews

Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:06 am
AlfredSymon says...

Clubs Under Renovation

As everyone have noticed, the Clubs has gone from the Navitabs found at the top of the main page frames for the reason that is once again under renovation. Due to the fear that user might encounter a lot of complications with the newly returned YWS feature, Nate had it down for some bug-fixing.The date of the Club feature's full return, however, have not been given yet.

308 Reviews

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:27 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Share the Love
This month of love, hear tips and experiences from our own YWS writers about writing romance and, well, love itself!

Good evening everybody (morning to those who're in a different time zone)! Here we are in Squills' newest featurette, Share the Love, wherein we can hear from our own YWS writers about the month of hearts!

Tonight's guest is Ms. Demeter, writer extraordinaire who, although not wholly a romance writer herself, is known to excellently experiment and combine the hearty genre with others to get the best writing and reading features!

AlfredSymon: Okay then! Let the interview start...now!
Demeter: Woo!

Alf: Okay Miss Demeter, let's first tackle the why rather than the how.
Do you think that writing love-themed or related works are best done during the month of February?

Dem: I think that they're best written whenever one is in the mood! February may well be an inspiration to many because of Valentine's Day, but I don't think the season really affects it otherwise. :D

Alf: Yes, that is very true.
Speaking of inspiration, what do you think is the best way of finding them?

Dem: I wish I knew! It usually hits me at the randomest (that's probably not a word) times! And I also remember being inspired if I read something really good that I wish I had written.

Alf: How about inspiration for a romance work? Is getting them from experience better for you? Or something imagined from scratch?
Dem: It varies! Sometimes from experience and sometimes from just imagination. Real life events usually help me make it sound more realistic, like dialogue etcetera.

Alf: Well, in your past works about love, where did you get the inspiration for them?
Dem: I don't think I've ever written a purely romantic work, but probably from just trying to imagine the characters and also using some details I've seen or heard in real life :D

Alf: Mmm hmm. Do you think that mixing a genre with romance is a good step to take in a short story or novel?
Dem: For me it's a good step, because I don't think I'd be interested in reading something that's only romance - I usually like there to be something else too! And the same goes with writing it, I think.

Alf: Wow! :D What genre do you think is best to mix with it?
Dem: Difficult question! I think a story can be equally interesting if it's romance mixed with history or action, and of course all the other combinations as well.

Alf: Oh! Well then, moving on to a more distant topic. What do you think is better in fiction, sweet scenes (think school dates) or romantic scenes (think dates at a resto).
Dem: Hmmm. I think both have their place in stories and it really depends... maybe the latter appeals to me more.

Alf: Oh :D Then may you share a scene you've read or written in a story that depicts a good romantic scene?
Dem: I don't have any at the moment, but I can get back to you if I write anything in the near future ;)

Alf: Oh, please do, and thank you!
One last question...
What is the best thing to focus on when writers want to write something sweet or romantic?

Dem: I think the most important thing to remember is the realisticness! In my opinion the most effective stories are the ones that could *really* happen, so if you're writing a sweet or a romantic scene, you should try out your dialogue and stuff and see whether it's realistic.
Because you don't always want your readers to think it's silly ;)

Alf: True that, Ms. Demi :D
And I think that ends our query for today :D Hahaha!
Dem: :D I hope this helped!
Alf: But of course, to the many writers of YWS!
Dem: Excellent!

And to that final word from Demeter does our show for tonight finally ends :D

Wait for more of Share the Love at this week's Squills!

People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore