z

Young Writers Society

Chapter 4 of "Tainted Life" by Callum Marshall.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:02 am
Calmal says...

This is chapter 4 of Tainted Life seen through the eyes of Captain Cask, who is now pursuing the mysterious UFO that arrived in the Earth system.
Chapter 4: Threat from Erme.
Captain Cask.

Even from a great distance the Captain was worried. The Humans had landed on Earth and had spent the past few days setting up temporary shelters for their eager colonists completely ignoring the plain threat of a UFO. Having sent out an automated messenger to report back to the commission board, Captain Cask ordered his Autha trade ship to chase after the fleeing vessel. Now he was far from the Earth system heading to who knows where following a potential threat with no weapons. However all Undrux focused on the larger and future prize and none could deny Cask of that potential glory. As his large buttocks sat in the command chair his hairy grey claw reached into a box of checne bourbons and he activated his automated piloting system.
“Captain we are now entering the Erme system” said Padc his pilot computer.
“The Erme system? That is a forbidden area, it is teeming with radiation”
“Would you like to precede Captain?”
Cask considered his choices whilst scratching his balding cylindrical head. The sensible think to do would to return and report back to the Eese personally. Then he could rustle up a small attack fleet from the Braxton Space Navy and lead the charge. But imagine the glory Cask would earn if he reported back with a UFO and showed the measure of his bravery.
“Yes Padc, continue assuming this ship can withstand the radiation.”
“You are totally protected from any threat the gamma radiation may pose. The ship seems to heading towards the planet Erme itself.”
“Then we shall follow. Quickly Padc. Keep it in my sights.”
Accelerating to maximum speed made his ship visible to any sensors the UFO may own but Cask was prepared to take the chance. As they dropped through the atmosphere, green fog engulfed both ships.
“Captain, I am detecting several large structures of organic composition.”
“Organic? Any other life forms.”
“Several thousand individual units with life readings off the scale. Your orders sir?”
“Open a singular channel to that ship. Advance no further.”
A green blip started on the control board and the video channel opened exposing a background of static.
“This is Captain Cask, merchant trader of the Undrux Empire. I command you to identify yourself at once.”
No reply.
“Identify yourself at once.”
Nothing.
“Is the signal sending properly Padc?”
“Perfectly Captain. I can only assume that the occupant is refusing to respond.”
“Pilot, I have the authority to arrest you as a potential threat to the Galactic Community”
The background of static persisted.
“This is the last time, identify yourself or…”
“You have no authority” a deep gravely voice said.
No picture came on the video screen yet the voice resonated.
“You are nothing. A trader of an empire with no defences who overestimate their chances” the voice whispered “If you were to disappear we doubt anyone would notice.”
Cask attempted to put bravery into his words but they continued to sound hollow. “Do not threaten me. My Empire is under the protection of the Braxton Space Navy, the most powerful military force this galaxy has ever known.”
A sudden crackle of static resonated which could only be deciphered as laughter.
“Enough discussion. I am placing you under citizen’s arrest for conspiracy against the Braxton, Undrux and recently the HAC Empires. You will come with me.”
“You are arrogant which will be your people’s downfall.”
“Communication band terminated. Large organic form heading towards us Captain. Unknown readings. Your orders?” Padc announced.
“Retreat, we must inform the Commission Board of our discovery.”
As the trader’s ship fled the planet the huge structure pursued at amazing speed. Within a minute it had overtaken the Captain and hovered in his way. The huge mass resembled a perfectly spherical ball though individual particles of the ship occasionally moved of their own accord. It seemed to be alive itself and spoke as the gravelly voice with no need for a radio.
“We cannot allow you to leave.” The mass proclaimed.
“Let me pass. You have no right.”
But the as the mass approached the ship, Padc screeched
“Captain, unknown waves are penetrating our ship. The armour is doing nothing to protect you.”
A tingle spread throughout Cask’s body and his grey flabby folds of skin were starting to glow eerily.
“Whatever you are doing I command you STOP IT NOW!”
“You will not leave.”
He started shivering although the cabins temperature was quite comfortable. His very atoms seemed to be trying to break away. As skin melted away his muscle was exposed and arteries could be seen continuing to move the Undrux’ blue blood around his fat, now hairless body. Cask wanted to scream but the mass somehow prevented it.
“Padc what’s happening?” he moaned.
“I do not know Captain. I can do nothing to assist.”
As if he was on fire, Cask was permitted to scream a scream that echoed the desperate attempts of a doomed man. He dissipated into mist as his rich ruby robes fell to the floor. The mass slowly returned to the planet’s surface dragging the empty Autha ship and Padc could do nothing to stop the unknown assailant.
Last edited by Calmal on Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calmal

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:01 am
Stealth_Slicer says...

Interesting, its good to see you have gone back and are continuing on from were you left off from one of the characters. Perhaps describe the mass more so readers can get a rough idea of it. Also I think its got to hurt having your skin just melt off. Try putting in more what he felt did he fell scared? In agony? And so on.

All the best.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:36 pm
Calmal says...

I have now altered it.
Everyone else
ENJOY!
Calmal

Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson