z

Young Writers Society

White Ch:3

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:46 am
Lava says...

Hi guys! Really sorry I couldn't post earlier. I was busy with college 1st years' culturals and engineering graphics. *hates that subject* Anyway, thanks for reading and as always, title is temporary. Desperately need help in getting one. And one more thing, the next chap will also be slightly delayed as my internals are on from Saturday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a long time since Carmen and Rufus went out. 'Out' - something I've never seen. Oh, how I've always wanted to cross that door . The one time I asked Carmen about it, she went wild. She refused, yelling at me for asking such questions. I asked Rufus why she went mad when I asked her that and all he said was that she cared way too much for me let me out of the room. I wonder what he means by that.
These thoughts make me tired, I walk toward the bed, lie flat and fall asleep.

I'm in a room, similar to mine, except it's bursting with colour. There is a giant copper vase in the distance that pulls me toward it. Moving closer, I can see two people. I recognize them as Carmen and Rufus. Carmen pulls Rufus toward herself and starts squeezing him. Their faces come closer and the next instant I'm staring into Rufus' grey eyes, full of concern. I want to touch him and squeeze him.

I wake up with a start, and remembering my dream, I feel embarrassed. I shouldn't have thought of that. It seems wrong. Once again something gnaws at my stomach. I splash my face with cold water and sit on the chair, my thoughts still on Rufus. It seemed so real and felt so good, even if it was a dream. My head lashed out at me saying I should stop thinking like this.

I hear a knock on the door and a few seconds later, Carmen walks in, without Rufus though.
"Hiya Kelcey! I'm so sorry I'm late. It's just that there's so much of work. So tell me what you've been doing these past few days? "

"It's okay Carmen, I actually dozed off and I didn't realize the time fly. Anyway, I've been doing my daily lessons, you can see them. Rufus said I was improving a lot! Also, I've been doing more reading."

"So you didn't miss me?" Carmen says, teasingly.

"Come on.. Of course I did. There's no one else who reads to me. And we can talk about anything. Of course I missed you for all this."

"It's okay dear… I was just teasing you. You don't need to get worried. Anyway, a few of friends will be coming here, they want to te... Uhh… talk to you."

"But why Carmen? Why can't it just be you, me and Rufus? Why do they have to come? I don't like that Dr.Ramer. He seems very mean to me."

"Ssshhh… Kel, don't say such things. Dr.Ramer's a really nice person and really intelligent. "
I nod. It's no use saying I still don't like him.
Carmen paces around, pausing every now and then, to look at me. I can feel something's bothering her. I think about asking her, but then decide against it. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't tell anything.

And like she said, Dr. Ramer and a bunch of others arrive. I've re-christened them as the 'white-coats.' Rufus and Carmen do wear white coats, but they're always chatting with me. I see a blonde woman, with soft features carrying my tray of food. I eat slowly, a sandwich, under the glare of the white lights and everyone's eyes. I feel like I'm some novelty being watched. I want to eat in peace. I finish up the sandwich and the carton of juice.

They clear up everything, and start asking me about my reading. I read out pages to them, work out crosswords and just talk about anything random. Then, they start quizzing me on math and physics, the two other subjects I'm learning. And then, I've to run on the treadmill. Fifteen minutes into this grueling exercise, and I'm panting.
They do stop in a while but not until I’m completely out of breath. I gulp down water and pick up a book to read .They now descend into silence and observe everything I do. I hate it when these white-coats come to 'talk' to me.
I pretend to read the book while trying to listen to Carmen and Dr. Ramer's conversation.
"….Ms. Larsend, how about an increase like…."
"…… a risk, Dr.Ramer……. higher…"

I couldn't make out anything and I decide to give up trying to listen to them and continue my book. Soon, the white-coats start to leave along with Carmen.

I'm left all alone, to gaze up at the ceilings imagining bright colors clouding over my eyes. Desperation makes my eyes water. I want to get out.

It's dinner time. Rufus is here again with two food trays. He says he's going to eat with me. I smile, thanking him. Carmen comes in looking slightly tired as though she walked a long distance to come here. Carmen ruffles Rufus' hair and kisses him passionately.

My head is in the midst of conflicting emotions.
Oh it'll be wonderful when they get married. I would love to see Carmen in a dress!
Stop. I don't wanna see this.
I try to clear my head of all thoughts. Like how Snape instructed Harry to do in the fifth book. I'm not successful either.

They're talking animatedly when Rufus' phone rings. As he speaks into it, his face becomes grave. He ends his call with a "Thank you Dr.S" Carmen opens her mouth to say something, but Rufus cuts her short.
He sits silently, slowly chewing his food. I feel it would be too intrusive if I ask what the matter is. Carmen looks annoyed, but continues to look through my exercises I had done when she was away.

They always have something going on in their lives. What do I have? White walls, that close in one me, until I suffocate to death...
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:36 pm
joshuapaul says...

Well done, an enjoyable piece. Great characters and narrative. A wee bit confusing at the beggining and still not entirely sure what was happening, perhaps I should have began with chapters 1-2 first oh well. Keep at it, doing great. I won't micro critique, I'm no good with GPS and you can probably spot the nit picks.
Read my latest

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:18 pm
OxfordandOnyx says...

Hi lava! I really enjoyed this chapter! I've read it about two times (once last night and again today) so now, I shall drop you a review! (:

Oh, how I've always wanted to cross that door .

This sentence would sound so much better without the 'Oh', it's way too Disney princess and I don't think that's the look you're going for.

I wonder what he means by that.

'meant', he said this in the past, so it's the past tense. Or, you could have put, "I still wonder what he meant..."
It's up to you

...lie flat and fall asleep.

Lie flat? Don't we usually say lie down?
I splash my face with cold water and sit on the chair, my thoughts still on Rufus.

The situation changes a bit too quickly here. One minute she is in bed, the next, she is splashing her face with cold water. Is she doing this in her bed? Make sure you point out transactions between scenes are clear so the reader does not get confused.

...Carmen walks in, without Rufus though

The 'though' at the end of the sentence is a bit awkward.

He seems very mean to me.

Try re-word this sentence, as it doesn't really sound right.

I eat slowly, a sandwich, under the glare of the white lights and every one's eyes. I feel like I'm some novelty being watched.

I liked this sentecne but again, it is a little awkwardly phrased.
How about something like, "I eat my sandwich slowly under the glare of the white lights and everybody's eyes..."

Oh it'll be wonderful when they get married.

Again with the 'Oh' :P

Other
You're character seems like a very interesting kind of girl... Sometimes I get the feeling she is attached to Rufus...

I want to touch him and squeeze him

The other times I get the feeling that maybe she isn't...

Carmen ruffles Rufus' hair and kisses him passionately.
Oh it'll be wonderful when they get married. I would love to see Carmen in a dress

She's obviously okay with Rufus and Carmen's relationship as if she is anticipating a wedding but then again, what's with the all lusting over Rufus?
I think you should try and explain your character emotions a bit further in some parts of the text. For example, when you say..

Stop. I don't wanna see this.

I think you should give a little more detail about what it is exactly she doesn't want to see. A wedding? Carmen in a dress? It's all a bit ambiguous.

I like the idea you're getting at- about your MC just being an experiment and I am interested to see how her friendship with Carmen and Rufus goes. (:

Overall, yet another great chapter!

Keep on writing. PM me when you need any other story reviewing (:

OxfordandOnyx
Four kinds of people I hate most in life.
1. People who use a preposition to end a sentence with.
2. People who can't count.
3. People who think it's 'clever' to quote ironic phrases.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.
— JRR Tolkien