z

Young Writers Society

The Bubble Theory #1

614 Reviews

Reviews: 614
Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:28 pm
Swires says...

Julian stopped rowing for a second to catch his breath, and noticed that the world was about to die. He wiped the rainwater from his face and looked up at the sky. The clouds had vanished leaving only faint whiskers of grey on a black canvas. He searched for the North Star to find his way, but it was too late. He realised that it had died, along with most of the universe. The only source light came from an unknown star, burning its remaining supply of energy before it too was ready to die.

The death of the world had come quicker than Julian had ever imagined. He stroked the oar to his little rowing boat, then pushed it into the endless sea. He watched it glide on the surface, before it sank out of sight. It was of no value any more. It was clear that water had consumed land, just like what happened in all the other universes he had been to.

He stood up in the boat and steadied himself. He felt the last breath of wind against his face before the earth hushed into silence. He lowered the hood of his cloak and stroked his white hair from his face. For a moment, he became as still as the world itself, expecting something...someone to come for him.

He squinted into the distance. Where are you?

Not a sound broke the void. He looked up at the last star again, which now glowed a deep red.

“Where are you?” His voice sounded strange, it had been so long since he had heard a person speak.

He shivered and pulled his cloak tight around him. He sat back down in the boat and noticed that the ocean was glistening with little patches of ice. He winced and looked around again. Come on, come on. Time was running out. The freeze had begun

You promised you’d come, he thought, You promised you’d free me this time.

A rime was forming on his gaunt face. He clawed the frost away as best he could, and closed his eyes to shield them from the chill. He kept as still as possible, not daring to move, realising that each droplet of energy was essential to his existence. They were late, the bastards dared to be late.

He stayed that way for what seemed like hours, he opened his eyes only briefly, but nothing changed in the world. The star had not died yet, but kept its steady red glow. It was cold but not yet freezing...it was dark but not yet darkness... He smiled, the world was waiting for his final exit, it was waiting for him--

You’re not coming. The realisation smashed through his brief optimism.

He pulled himself up with great effort, panting heavily. He stood, graceful on the side of the boat, and cocked one leg onto the edge. Just as he was about to dive into the freezing sea, he heard a disturbance in the water.

He climbed back into the boat and watched the water tremor all around him. A bright white light approached the surface. He smiled, his eyes wide.

“You’re here. You’re here to free me,” he said aloud, full of joy.

An orb of pure light broke through the surface of the water and hovered six feet above it. It span at a measured, constant rate.

“Hello Julian,” it whispered in a female voice, metallic and cold, like the whole thing had been pre-recorded onto a tape.

He did not bother with formal greetings, “Is it over? Am I free?”

The ball silently span around, as if contemplating his request.

“There is just one other world we require--”

“--No. I won’t do it,” he spat, teeth gritted. “It stops. It stops today.”

The ball of light paused, then said, “No Julian. It does not stop. It will never stop.You are dedicated to the quest for knowledge.”

The ball hovered closer to Julian, who remained standing. As the ball moved closer his hair became darker. He stretched out his hands and watched as the dark spots faded and his wrinkles tightened. He felt stronger, warmer, younger.

“I have completed my duty to the Cyclons. I have repaid my debt,” he stuttered, amazed every time when the Cyclon ball repaired his body.

Without missing a beat the Cyclon ball said, “You are dedicated to the quest for knowledge.”

Julian glared deep into the ball of light, and it seemed to stare back. “And how many worlds do I need to see live and die? How many civilisations rise and fall? Great empires conquer and be conquered? Children age into hideous puppets, then get buried into ground that one day will also die? Mmm? How many?” His gasped for air, the oxygen was thinning now.

The Cyclon Ball rotated around the boat, as if inspecting it with great excitement. It pivoted on its axis at a faster speed and glowed more brightly. “This is a boat?”

“Yes. It is a boat.”

He watched the ball spin quicker and quicker until it returned to its ordinary, clockwork pace. “The allotted discussion time is over. You will be assigned a new world momentarily.”

He shook with rage. “I don’t want one. Kill me. Kill me now.”

“Do not be silly, Julian. You will be assigned a new world momentarily,” the Cyclon ball’s metallic voice rang out, Julian clasped his hands around his ears to protect himself from the noise. He shook his head as images of those he had seen die, those he had sent to death, filled his vision. He saw children, little children on operating tables. Organs. Organs in jars --blood. Lots and lots of blood--blood.Blood.Blood..blood.blood.BLOOD.bloo--

“--Stop it,” he breathed.

“Stop what, Julian? This is a glimpse of death. If you die, this will be what you see. A loop of destruction, for an eternity.”

He dropped to his knees and hammered against the base of the rowing boat. “Stop it. Fucking. Stop. It.” He fell onto his back and squirmed as the images punctured his mind. Things he had forgotten...tried to forget, resurfaced.

“If you won’t kill me, I’ll do it myself,” he screamed. He dashed for the side of the boat and lunged. As he fell, he closed his eyes and braced himself to be consumed by water.

But he was not, he was consumed by light. The boat, Julian and the Cyclon ball were gone from that universe.

It took only one hour for the world to die. The star in the sky extinguished suddenly, like it did not want to watch the sea crystallise into a solid ball of ice, and finally disintegrate into nothingness.
Last edited by Swires on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previously known as "Phorcys"
Witherwings Harry Potter RPG

Reviews: 2
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:37 am
Alf_Potter says...

Wow. Right off the bat, I love the first paragraph. Take the setting, turn it into a watercolor of words, and showcase it before the reader. I love the description of the dying world, and the lone boat floating on a freezing ocean.

Julian seems like an intriguing character, and I want to know more about his agreement with this alien(?) race. It is not clear how long he has been alive, but it clearly has been a long time, and, from the appearance of the Cyclon,I felt like I was picking it up in the middle, or even the end of the first book in a series.

I wish I had more information about what was going on, though the plunging of the reader into this universe is very effective. I like the curiosity of the Cyclon about the boat, which gives me the image of almost a childlike innocence coupled with an inability to perceive the feelings of Julian.

In all, a satisfying bit of writing. And now, I wish for more!

614 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:15 pm
Swires says...

Thanks Alf.

I decided to start "in the middle of things" just to hook the reader into this, quite complex multi-verse I am inventing as I go along. This is the first real science fiction story I've written and its also been the most interesting to write. Thanks again for the review.

More welcome.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:27 am
Hyunthesosarian says...

Good evening, Swires!

You know the thing when your favorite football team scores a touchdown and everyone suddenly jumps into the air with their arms outstretched, palms forward and screaming in ecstasy?

Yeah, that was me after reading your first sentence. :D I haven't read a hook anywhere near as compelling as that one in a long time, and what followed it did not disappoint. I am in love with the concept, and you pulled it off so that I am willing to wait to see how Julian got involved with the Cyclons.

Julian's name is a bit of a sticking point with me, as it implies two things: he is from Earth, and he is human. Does this mean our universe was the very first universe that came to the attention of the Cyclons? A "yes" answer to that question would put some anthropocentrism in a story which I assume spans several, if not hundreds, thousands, what have you universes. I suppose this question will be answered in a later installment, though, and I believe Julian is a much better name to start with than something like Xxar'ktva. The name "Cyclon," on the other hand, is a very well-chosen name that says a great deal about that organization.

Another bit that stuck out to me is that I would find it hard to tell if a ball of "pure light" were rotating. No shadows, no mention of identifying indentations. Maybe it shimmers or something. Trivial issue.

A last bit of advice has to do with the dialogue -- I expect they are minor typoes.

“Hello Julian,” it whispered in a female voice...

“There is just one other world we require--”

“--No. I won’t do it,” he spat, teeth gritted. “It stops. It stops today.”

The ball of light paused, then said, “No Julian. It does not stop. It will never stop..."

Use commas in addresses: "Hello, Julian" and "No, Julian." You included the commas everywhere else, so there went my hypothesis of the Cyclon messenger simply speaking without commas.

I just noticed, however, that in the second quotation the messenger contradicts itself -- "just one other world" to "It does not stop. It will never stop." If that's meant to be a tone shift, it happened a little abruptly, even with the pause thrown in there. If the ball of light had continued trying to convince Julian there was only one more world to go two or three more times, and/or it gradually changed to more threatening colors/intensities, that might smooth over the apparent contradiction.

Otherwise, that's it! I must tell you that I definitely look forward to reading future installments of Julian's story (come up with a better title, though), and finding out what this "debt" of his is!

=Hyun
Stop thinking pessimistic thoughts. You will run out.

Reviews: 4
Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:22 pm
Jaime0102 says...

Great. That's the only word for it. The hook was great, the part about Julian giving up was great, the ball of pure light was great, the whole store was great. I can't see of any way to improve it except the period comma thing said earlier. I can't wait for the next installment.
Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality. - Jules de Gaultier

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones. - John Cage

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:47 am
amatuli says...

Your writing is excellent, I have no negative comments. Keep up the great work. :D

614 Reviews

Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:09 am
Swires says...

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I have renamed my work now. Also I have planned out the world more and got a grip with the story as a whole.

Thanks again.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:51 pm
Dream_Catcher says...

I enjoyed this a lot. I like the character and the situation. Even in the short amount of time you go through quite a few emotions. After meeting the ball of light that talks to him. It seems that he is a savior almost come to take him away but considering Julian's reaction and how it turns out that he has a particular hate for the being, you learn to hate the ball as well. Very interesting and does a good job of keeping audience's attention. Off to read the second one now! :)
"I know why the caged bird sings" ~ Maya Angelou
*Dream_Catcher*

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm
napalmerski says...

Heh, heh, sounds like a brooding sort of intellectual enternal champion :D Just one thing, i was a bit taken aback, that the impersonal globe messenger said something like "Do not be silly, Julian." But perhaps this is just my humanoid preconceptions, that servants of the mighty being do not say "don't be silly". Awaiting the second part...
she got a dazed impression of a whirling chaos in which steel flashed and hacked, arms tossed, snarling faces appeared and vanished, and straining bodies collided, rebounded, locked and mingled in a devil's dance of madness.
Robert Howard

Reviews: 3
Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:32 am
vii-zee says...

Ooooh I liked that =D

At first, I must admit, I was confused. I was saying to myself 'Wait, how can someone suddenly just know, just like that, that the world is gonna die?' It confused me until I read on.

I liked the way you described how he became younger. It was quick, short, but detailed enough, much like the process itself, I imagine.

Well, great job on this! I enjoyed reading it and I hope there is more :)

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:10 pm
Alec Laine says...

Get ready for some nitpicks and suggestions. This was very well written as it was, but a little polishing makes perfect! Here we go:

The only source light came from an unknown star, burning its remaining supply of energy before it too was ready to die.

Typo: a missing "of" between "source" and "light".
I would also rephrase this, since you already used the term "die" in the sentence before. Something in the lines of:
"The only source of light came from an unknown star, burning its remaining supply of energy before it too would cease to exist."

The freeze had begun

A missing punctuation after "begun"

Mmm? How many?” His gasped for air, the oxygen was thinning now.

Julian's speech was so beautiful, but I was put off by "Mmm?". You could leave it out, and he would seem more sincere in his question. Also, typo: "His" should be "He".

I was deeply impressed by this story, and I really hope you will write more. PM me if there's anything you need, I'm not usually active in the Sci-Fi Forums. Take care, and keep writing.
"SHAMAN" is a action/adventure fiction novel I'm writing, following the adventures of Marcus Lee. Marcus finds a book with a peculiar symbol engraved on the cover. As Marcus digs deeper into the mysteries of the book, he learns about controlled reincarnation.

By swallowing evil words unsaid, no one has ever harmed his stomach.
— Winston Churchill