z

Young Writers Society

Shift, Part Two: Contraband

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:03 pm
BettyPaige says...

I rated this R for strong language and mild sexual content and references. And the poem, Sylvia is by CL, and yes I have her permission.

1. I really, really will be eternally grateful for reviews...pretty please with whipcream and marishino cherries on top.

2. I need help on my tenses, for verbs, yah horrible at it. and I am typing this straight out of my notebook.

3. review...or I'll send my minions after you. nah...not really just I'd appreciate a heads up once and awhile...wow I sound lonely...

4. I ramble, now read.

Bett

Shift, Part One

Contraband

Brian peers over the edge of his calculus text and grins to himself. From
where he is sitting, he has a clear line of sight of Meredith who is hunched
over her desk cutting out words from magazines. He admires the way she
works, meticulous, her work space clear, even scraps in a tight pile for
trash. He notices that when she turns, the muscles in her back bunch, and
she absently tucks a stray piece of hair behind her ear. He notices the fine
line of her neck and how beneath her baggy clothes there are curves. He has
marked the weeks by the slip of fat from her body, and how now she seems
waif thin, a spindle of a girl. The bones in her wrists quite promenant, and
the emanciated skin stretches over them, blue streaking the pale undersides.
Though to him, she was still beautiful. He wanted to tell her that but the
words never came out right, the closest he had gotten to that goal, was
asking her for her notes on the French Revolution.

But from his corner, words were not needed, and he could watch without
interruption.

“Mer, Mer, yo deaf woman!”

Karla smiled widely when Meredith finally turned around, and she ran to
catch up with her.

“So hey, have you seen Brian today?”

Meredith looked up, the kid was usually was just there out of the corner of
her perfifeal vision.

“No, why?”

“Cause he was asking for you.”

“Oh.”

Karla prodded her in the ribs, “I think he likes you, you know.”

“Really?” Well I guess in a stalker kind of way..., she thought.

“Really, really. I saw him staring at you all study hall.”

Meredith scoffed, “It was probably the creepy death glare he gives
everyone.”

“No, this was definetly in the category of puppy love.”

Meredith pretended to gag on her gum.

Kara pushed into her, laughing, it was too, gagable.

Meredith peered from underneath her lashes, as Brian worked, his large hands dwarfing the slender carving tool. Sharply he dug into the soft wood of the vase he was finishing the detail work on.

Meredith was wondering why she gagged at the thought of him interested in her. Really he wasn't that bad looking. Not everyone was built like a greek god, nor did she find that particulary attractive. He was lean but didn't have much muscle tone, and was just a head taller than she. She supposed the reason she generally shied away from the idea of him was that he was a bit sketch. He was quiet, didn't talk to anyone and had few friends. Not that being a loner was a bad thing, but he put off people with his flippant attitude and death glare.

Before getting caught, she diverted her gaze and went back to glueing her collage.

"That's right I'm fucking you! That's all this is mindless, meaningless fucking! Don't try to persuade me Jonathan Hindley, I've had enough of your petty words."

Meredith shoved her arms forwards defending herself. She slapped away hid tentative chances at redemption.

"Mer-bear?"

She stared him down dead, right in the eyes, "Don't call me that."

"Mer, I thought we had an agreement."

"What!" She was passed enraged now, now it was fucking homicidal, "Agreement, yeah about neu-fuckin-trality and all that shit, feelings never entered into the deal."

Now it was his turn to scowl, "Feelings always were apart of us, or have you forgotten."

"There...is...no...US, Jonathan. Or are you loosing your mind in your old age, you have a wife and kids."

He looked ready to either punch her, or shake her senseless. She took his silence as an opening.

"Oh wait," she digged, "she doesn't let you touch her", she grasped the crotch of his jeans and squezzed, "doesn't let you fuck her into the bloody mattress, what with the baby on the way."

The smack stung brightly on her cheek, reeling her backwards at the sudden impact. After steadying herself, she raised a hand to finger the reddened skin.

Not even a foot away, Jonathan vibrated with anger, and after a minute of indecision, advanced on Mer, shoving her against the wall.

He lowered his lips to above her ear, his breath mingled with hers.

"You wanna dick around." It was more of a statement than a question.

A hand ripped open her blouse, buttons plinking on the linoleum floor.

Meredith couldn't even get out a 'Jonathan stop'. She was dazed wondering when she had lost control of this situation, he had never in her known existense been forceful or abusive.

His sharp nails dug into her traitorous, willing skin, slamming her against the cold, unmoving wall.

An icy tendril started in her stomach and bled out into her blood stream, an icy hand of death, and she grew limp in the onslaught.

She didn't even fight as he undid the buttons on her jeans, his fly already open.

Yanking down her jeans and underwear to her knees, he wrenched at kiss from her pliable mouth.

Meredith was still in a daze, so she hadn't even noticed he had stopped. He was staring strangly at her as if in confusion, when she came back to earth.

His mouth dropped into an 'O' and he looked frantically around, when the realization hit. Searching for an apology, his mouth babbled wordlessly.

The wall still supporting her, Meredith brought her hand up to stop him from speaking.

"Just don't, don't." The please left dangling in the air.

Reaching for her, she bt the hand away and tried to remain composed.

Like a dear after the headlights dim, he scampered out, hastily re-robing.

Slithering down the wall, she crouched, all the while staring at her hands.

There is a small park near the University's Library that Meredith frequents. It is mostly grass with a few large trees and some flower beds but it is the peace and quiet of nature that appeals to Meredith most. Today she sits with Karla as they peruse the school's Literary Magazine, The Libertine.

"Her, Mer, look, look it's your poem! They published your poem." Karla frantically points at the paper.

Meredith took the paper in hand and felt her heart clench in anticipation. Had they really published her poem? For years she had tried to get one into the magazine run by the elitist English Majors.

But there it was corporeal, crisp typewriter type-set, shimmering from the white page.

Sylvia

If you look through the dipping boughs
of the elm trees
you can see the glittering patches
of light

that is her genius

hidden beneath shadow layers of
cotton and year
are the shards that splinter
like little foot bones
and tear at rational thought

to brave the new world
would be a wonderous thing

it's all just a beautiful
dream

two by two they fall
the haunting obituary of silence

Inside Meredith was experiencing a sudden sublime sunburst of heavenly feeling. But soon it was over just like the petit high from a cigarrette.

"Hey," Meredith started flipping through the pages of the magazine, "Where's the commentary, where's the review? They tear at everything that goes in here?"

Karla made a flippant gesture, "Whatever, find it later if you are so inclined. Let's go celebrate."

Her eyes sparkled and she turned to Meredith, "The Riveria is open this early, i think, or we could chill at Birdland if-"

Karla was cut off by the commotion on the footpath.

"Yo, faggot boy!" Some of the first string basketball team had cornered Brian, who was trying valiantly to get away, his arms full of papers and books, bookbag slung half-hazardly over his shoulder.

Meredith watched as they tag-teamed him, and sent him sprawling into the bushes, his things spiraling everywhere.

Meredith got to her feet, and Karla arched an eyebrow, but didn't say anything or move from her position in the grass.

Even creeps didn't deserve this shit...

Meredith made her way over to Brian, who was bending over trying to get all his things. The other guys were smirking nastily at him.

One that Meredith knew as Chad, opened his mouth, "So do you suck cock or take it uo the ass, pretty boy?"

His friends cackled scathingly with him. Brian shaking with anger, dropped what he had picked up, and turned raising his clenched fists. He came up to Chad's shoulder.

Meredith made it there just before, the guys decided to pummel him.

"Hmmm...that sounds vaguely familiar, I do believe you were saying that last night."

Meredith put a hand on Brian and steered him away from certain doom. She raised a challenging eye to Chad who backed up a bit into his clique.

"Or so I heard." She finished.

"Stay out of this Sorbella, this is none of your business." Chad puffed out his chest much like a strutting peacock would.

His friends didn't seem so keen.

"Actually, this is my business and you and your homeboys are going to fuck off, or at the next country club meeting, I'll let it slip that your still fucking Liza Minelli and shooting heroin between your toes. Then Daddy will take all your nice things away and cancel your bank account and envitable you'll lose your precious spot on the team."

His face took on a murderous hue but he didn't do anything.

One of his friends tapped his shoulder. "Come on Chad, it's not worth it."

Chad humpfed and turned away, not before clutching his fingers into noticibly tight fists.

Meredith sighed, she didn't even know why she's called off the mutts; she wasn't one of Brian's friends, she wasn't fucking him, and she made a rule of never getting involved with disputes. But, rules were made to be broken, and it was nice to be noticed. And, she amitted to herself, the power felt good. Really good.

She bent to help Brian gather his things. Reaching for the same book, their fingers touched and an electric charge vibrated through them.

"Sorry," he mummbled grabbing the book, his eyes pinned to the ground.

"Thank you."

She stood straight and handed him the papers she had collected.

"No problem, those fuckers talk big that's all."

"Well, I have to get these papers to Higgins or she'll castrate me. How's about Ibuy you coffee and a piece of cheesecake at Zanzibar after last class."

Hmmm...free coffee and cheesecake sounded heavenly, even if he was slightly still a creep. Never one to pass up a sweet deal...

"Sure."

"Around seven then."

"Yeah seven."

Even after he left, Meredith wondered why she had said yes.

"And all this time I thought you were the creepy-stalker type and now I find ouy you're actually the world's last hopeless romantic."

Brian smiled over his coffee cup as he watched Meredith sensualy devour her cheesecake. Damn fork, what he would give to be that fork. He watched it whistfully slide past her lips and imaculatly scowered by the darting of her pink tongue.

She's not only beautiful, she's funny and interesting.

"Hey, you alright there?" Her voice called him back and he realized he'd been staring. A slight bush crept up in his cheeks.

"Yeah, just spacing."

"Oh, cool."

"Hey, I saw your poem in the The Libertine, ....

TBC...sorry I can't type it all up now...more of this part to come.[/i][/i]
All I learned in life, I learned from reading banned books.

I like my life with a little salt, a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:02 pm
Hope says...

Hey I liked reading this a lot. You only made a few grammar mistakes but that's about it. I can't really help you on the verb thing. I'm terrible also. Yeah but continue, continue.
Hope

Embrace the total dork in yourself, and enjoy it, because well... Life is to short to be cool.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:14 pm
BettyPaige says...

thanks Hope, I'll get the rest of it up soon.

Bette
All I learned in life, I learned from reading banned books.

I like my life with a little salt, a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:57 pm
furygirl88 says...

this story is really great plz continue to type more :wink:

The chains of habits are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
— Warren Buffet