z

Young Writers Society

Bandages: Part Three

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat May 03, 2008 3:53 am
day tripper says...

Bandages: Part Three

I quickly backed up from Dustin as he came after me. My back hit the beam from under the bleachers. I squinted, trying not to mutter the hurt from my shoulder blades hitting the beam. I opened one eye to see Dustin in front of me, eyes burrowed, trying to calm his breathing. He looked at his half raised hand, then back at me.

“Just… fuck off.” He spat, again, and then started walking away. I wasn’t taking any chances and darted away from him and out of the stadium. I sprinted to my car, ignoring the shocks of pain that would act on me every time I moved my arms from running. I reached my car and didn’t even bother to open it. I just slammed my fist down on the hood of the car, angry.

“What the hell did I do?” I shouted in my mind. I felt my eyes stinging, tears were about to come. I leant against my car and slid down, my body hitting the paved, cool parking lot. I took a deep breath and realized the stupid mistake I just made. Why was a running from him? Why did I even run? I took another deep breath, and then I heard footsteps coming from behind my car. I quickly spun around and lifted my head over the hood to see Shafer making his way past me. I turned back around and hoped for him not to see me.

“Celia?”

“Damn it.” I scolded myself before quickly hoping up and turning, a smile spread on my face. A fake one, of course.

“What are you doing over here?” He asked, raising his eyebrows. Shafer was tall and very lanky. His arms were so long, and his legs were even longer. He had bushy brown hair that flopped around his face. He had thick eyebrows, but he had such big, hazel eyes that it made his eyebrows looks small compared to them. He had an obvious Italian nose that overshadowed his big, bright smile. Shafer had a shaggy dog look to him, he always cracked me up.

“Shafer! Hey!” I stopped to do a goofy laugh, “What are you doing out here, son?” I giggled to hide my shaky voice. Thank goodness it was dark out or else there would have been no way I could hide my distorted face.

“Um,” Shafer looked at me like I was drunk, which if I was him I wouldn’t doubt it either. He pointed to the field with his fingers, but continued to stare at me with a confused face.

“Oh!” I stopped, “The game. You’re here for the game!” I laughed at myself before placing my hands in my pockets and looking down at my feet. I raised my eyes from the ground to Shafer, who looked at me with concern.

“Are you drunk?” He threw out. I laughed at his stupid question.

“You really think I’d get drunk at my brother’s lacrosse game? If Greg ever found out, I’d be on lock down for about two months.” I crossed my arms over my chest and just rocked back and forth on my heels as the awkward silence continued. Then Shafer took a step forward. I instantly stopped rocking and raised my head to look at him. He moved his hand under my chin and lifted my face to his. Of course, at this point, you start to think the idea of: “Oh my god! He’s going to kiss me!” Shafer tilted my head and leaned in, then,

“Have you been crying?” Oh shit. I exhaled deeply, relieved that Shafer didn’t kiss me. Part of me wished he did, however. I stepped back away from him, trying to hide my face further in darkness. If Shafer knew I was crying, he knew who would have caused it and would have done one of two things: One, kick Dustin’s ass personally, with some help from a few others. Or, two, tell Greg and let him deal with it. Once again, oh shit. I felt my heart flutter. I knew what was happening. I didn’t want Shafer himself kissing me, but I did want someone kissing me. That someone being Dustin.

“No.” I replied as careful as I could so that he couldn’t tell I was lying. Shafer cleared his throat and now crossed his arms. I rolled my eyes, leaned on one leg, and placed my hands on my hips. “What?” I spat. He looked at me sternly, clearing his throat again. “You know what, Shafer… goodbye!” I huffed, opening my car door. I saw Shafer laugh and open my door,

“You’re so stubborn, Celia.” He knelt down and rested one elbow on a knee. I sighed and looked at him, “Is there a point to this conversation?”

“Yes, come back to the game with me.” He smirked, holding a hand out. I looked at him sternly now, “No.”

“Why?” His smirk turned into a frown instantly. I giggled at his puppy dog face.

“Because, I’m tired. I will talk to you on Monday.” With that, I closed my door and started the ignition. As I started to back away, I waved to Shafer and then drove off.

Monday came sooner than I wanted and I was back to my usually schedule. First, I’d meet up with Natalie and my friends in the art room and chill there for the first free time of the day. Then, the first period bell would ring and I would attend with Shafer. After, I would skip third period and meet up with Natalie in the main corridor.

“Hey!” She’d smile at me. I looked at the small, petite girl in front of me. Natalie had short, choppy brown hair that barely brushed her shoulders. Her side bangs swept across her forehead and rounded her left eye. She had dark, chocolate brown eyes that every day were outlined with black eyeliner on the bottom and sparkly, blue on the top. She had perfect teeth that showed every time she did her bright, entertaining smile. Today, Natalie had on gray sweatpants, a black tight T-shirt with graffiti all over it, and black shoes. Compared to my tall figure, she beat me hands down. I had on neon blue tight jeans, a bright Hello Kitty T-shirt, bright blue and pink baby doll heals, and a bright blue bow in my bangs. I envied Natalie’s super slim and fit figure. We shared a quick hug before plopping down on the steps of the main corridor.

“Have a fun morning?” She asked as she took out her iPod from her purse. I leaned back on my elbows and watched all the kids pass by me.

“Sure.” I shrugged. I never really had ‘interesting’ mornings anymore. They all were the same. The thrill of skipping class and/or getting high was getting old. I needed something new. Just then, I saw my something ‘new’. Dustin Hagers sat down a few feet away from us and pulled out his books to start studying. That damn smart-ass was in all the GT classes and never really associated with kids like me. A.k.a., the kids who slacked off and passed by with B-‘s or C+’s. But lately, I’ve been maintaining a 3.5 grade point average. Natalie looked in the direction my eyes wondered and found Dustin.

“Ugh. He’s such an ass.” She rolled her eyes, “Why do you even bother?” She pressed play on her iPod and started drumming to the beat.

“When do I not bother?” I smiled and got up from my seat beside Natalie and plopped down next to Dustin. He jumped in surprise and as soon as he saw it was me I could already see the fury in his eyes. He jaw clenched. Oh, he was so cute. “No! What are you doing? You hate him! Remember?” My mind hollered at me. “You, Sir, owe me an explanation.” I sternly said, trying my best to be serious. He started to gather his books but I grabbed his wrists.

“What?” he snapped at me, loud. I was terrified that he’d hit me again, but I’m pretty sure he saw the terror and pleading in my eyes because he calmed down for once and explained. In three words, he explained. He explained it all in those three little words,

“…I love you.”
A little less inhuman.
A little more brutal.
Let the blood be your drug.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sun May 04, 2008 11:37 pm
Izzyeyore says...

Wait, what?! WHAT?!

AAAH!!!

That was a picture-perfect surprise ending, but...

oh yes, the ever-returning, terrible 'but'

... i thought that he abused her?

If you set it up more earlier on in the story it'll be ok, but for now, the beginning was really really hazy
My policy on life: you're wasting it by being sad and making others sad, so hug someone today! :D

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon May 05, 2008 12:13 am
day tripper says...

hah, then next chapter explains EVERYTHING.
So hold tight(:
A little less inhuman.
A little more brutal.
Let the blood be your drug.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon May 05, 2008 9:08 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Wow, that was amazingly good. Please keep going, you can't just stop there and not have explained everything.

I demanded you keep going or else.....or else......I don't know what I'll do.

I didn't really find anythign that needed to be fixed, but maybe it was just to good to notice anything. :P.

TNC
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray, remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind