z

Young Writers Society

Worlds Apart 3

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:38 am
View Likes
Tamora says...

The motorbike revved as the rider put his foot down. Jacob's demonstration was going well, many had come to see his latest treasure as well as his inevitable growling from the groundskeeper for the marks he would leave from his various tricks. The audience was mixed, there were those who took it as a bit of fun on a sunny day, others were serious and asked him question after question about his new ride. Rebecca was in the middle, she was interested in what his new wheels were actually like, but the way that he kept inviting her to jump on with him she couldn't help but laugh.

Rebecca glanced behind her and sighed. Margie had stayed in the background far-off and dreamy eyed as she gazed at the performer. Rebecca could see how she felt and almost felt sorry, but she liked having all of Jacob's attention, even if she couldn't return the feeling.

"'Becca?"

Rebecca was pulled from her thoughts as Jacob tried to involve her into the conversation again. she turned to him and smiled sweetly, she'd given Margie a promise, now she'd fulfill it.

"Do you know my friend? Margie?"
"I don't think I do, but i'm sure any friend of yours can be a friend of mine."

She turned back towards Margie, smiling at his attempt at interest.

"Margie, come over here," she called, "there's someone I'd like you to meet."

Margie approached casually, trying to look normal and uninterested, dark hair swinging in time with her shapely hips, her face was contorted though as she tried to keep her feelings from her face. Jacob's dark eyes stayed on her as he turned his head towards Rebecca and raised his eyebrows. Rebecca returned the expression with her own high brows. As Margie approached, Jacob offered his hand in greeting.

"How do you do? Why have I never met you before today, young lady?"

Margie blushed at his flirty ways and took the proffered hand.

"I'm afraid that my duties have kept me away from this side of the fence," was her low-uttered reply.

Jacob laughed richly and let go of her hand. He smiled as she turned her head to avoid looking at his piercing eyes.

"Why have you kept this beauty from me Miss James?" he turned to smille at Rebecca, "surely you knew that she would have distracted me from your lovely face."
"If you mean to say that I do not wish to be with you," was her tart reply, "then you are a presumptuous young man."

Margie let a laugh escape in a nervous burst. Jacob turned to look at the source of the noise, his eyes trying to meet hers, but she turned away.

"I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to get to know you if you won't talk to me," his voice was comforting, soothing, "That is, after all, our friend's plan."

Rebecca turned away from the pair and started to talk to one of the other spectators about the new machine that was the original purpose of their visit, she knew she'd hear about leaving them later, but for now she felt it was the right thing to do. As she walked away others rushed to fill the prime position she had left for them.

As she walked she saw a flicker to her left, a person skirting around the building. She turned the corner and found...

...nothing, an empty space where there should have been something or someone. All she could hear was the wind in the trees and the sound of the crowd behind her. She shrugged and turned back towards the back entrance, thinking of how her mother would have told her off for letting her imagination carry her away from the task at hand, her free time was almost up and she needed to get back to her mistress. She walked across the gravel in time to see the groundskeeper striding towards the group in an obvious rage, and looked at all the skid marks that Jacob's bike had left behind it. She chuckled to herself and walked away, the figure forgotten.
Last edited by Tamora on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:40 am
Tamora says...

This took me ages to write and i'm still new at this, so please review it for me?!

I have a Gumbie Cat in mind, her name is Jennyanydots; Her coat is one of the tabby kind,with tiger stripes and leopard spots.
— T.S. Eliot, Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats