z

Young Writers Society

Into the Depths Chapter 1 [Reworked]

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:55 pm
Jetpack says...

Hi, Elinor. I've not seen this before, so I'll try to give you a fresh perspective.

Nitpicks

It seems as only moments ago I had laid my head down on my pillow.

The different tenses in this sentence are really confusing, and it stilts the flow. Consider revising.

says Sarah impatiently, ‘Is is

Harris did have somewhat of a busy schedule

Here, do you mean "did" or "does"? I'm under the impression he still has a busy schedule.

I yawn and arise out of bed when hunger strikes me.

I would replace "arise" with just "rise". Don't overcomplicate when you don't need to.

I twirl around; it’s been a while since I’ve worn this dress.

If it's her favourite, why has it been a while since she's worn it? Or is it just a treasured favourite? I know, I'm being really picky, but I suppose it's worth pointing out.

‘That’s alright,’ he says, quite calmly. ‘You’re his daughter?’

‘That’s quite a lovely name.’

Repetition of "quite" stood out to me here. I'd keep the second of the two, as it establishes Murtagh's character further than the first.

He laughs again. ‘Thank you. I’ve been told that—’

‘Bye,’ I say.

This is very abrupt, and stands out against the rest of the conversation, which is awkward throughout due to the relative shyness of the two characters, but flows quite nicely. I'd elaborate slightly here, just so it's not a flat out "bye". It sounds like Madeleine's about to slam the door in his face.

‘I don’t know. What about the beach, tomorrow at sunset?’

I think Madeleine's reaction to this needs to be established before she agrees. At the moment, she doesn't even seem to think about it, and it comes completely out of the blue. More on that later.

Characterisation

This is a replacement for plot at the moment, as nothing seems to have happened yet, but I think you've got some nice characterisation in this chapter, especially of Madeleine and her relationship with Sarah.

However, Murtagh needs some more development before Madeleine agrees to meet with him. Is she even permitted to make that kind of decision alone? I note that her father is an Admiral and her sister's husband is an Admiral; would a delivery boy be fitting for her to be seen with? She might be making the decision independently, but in that case we need to see her thought process. There has to be some kind of analysis and consideration of the question before she accepts. If anything, you could elaborate throughout the dialogue, because as the previous reviewer said, it is a little simplistic right now. We don't really get to see what Madeleine makes of him.

The dialogue itself is lovely and their interaction is wonderful, but it's the characters as individuals that I think we're missing out on.

Style

It's easy to read and quite quaint: suited to your narrator, actually. Keep an eye on the vocabulary you're using and don't let it run away with you, as it did a couple of times here. Have you read this aloud? You might catch a few of the more awkward phrases. There isn't much else to say here, because it's very readable and your grammar's pretty much entirely correct. I think it's just thorough proof-reading you need to work on.

Overall

I liked this, as an opening chapter. We're eased into the characters and it's not difficult to like them, either, which is often a problem with first chapters. I'm left feeling a little dissatified with the actual events, and if the chapter was simply to break off like that in a novel, I'd wonder what had been achieved. That's your call though, on the purpose and intent of chapters; I can only comment on what's here. This works nicely as an introduction.

I hope my review was helpful. This was honestly a pleasure to read.

- Jet.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:44 pm
Sins says...

Heya, Eli :D

I'm here to review this as requested. I'm not going into full on nit-pick critique, mainly because of the fact that I don't think there are any. Plus, I've already given you a nit-picky review on this and any nit-picks that I would have have been mentioned already in previous reviews. Instead of nit-picking, I'll just get straight to my overall opinion and I'll let you know what I think of the re-edit of this.

Compared to the original version of this, I can definitely say that it has improved. :) After reading the edited version of this, I can see that you haven't made it feel as though your giving us information anymore. You're beginning to show us things, not just simply tell us. That is something that I'm really glad of! I'm also liking your characters a lot more now, although I'm not sure exactly why. You haven't made some drastic changes to them, just tweaked them a bit. That seems to have worked very well though, it shows that tweaking truly does make a difference. As usual, your grammar was really good and I didn't find any obvious errors. Hence the whole no nit-picks thing. The same goes for your spelling, I didn't find any misspelled words at all.

The only thing that's really still bugging me a bit is the suddenness of this. I'm still finding it kind of weird that you MC would be so willing to meet up with a guy she didn't know, especially after having such a brief conversation with him. I understand that you are planning on them meeting up in the future, so they're going to have to get around to that somehow. What I suggest is that, instead of making Murtagh ask to meet up with Madeleine, you could simply just make them bump into each other the next day or something. Then, once they do meet up, they could spend the day together or something and build their relationship a bit. Once you've built up their relationship a bit, they could then decide to meet up and do whatever. In reality, you don't agree to meet up with a guy that you've only known for five minutes, do you? I think that this could be better if you made these two miraculously meet up the next day or whatever. Give them a chance to build their relationship and get to know each other, don't just jump straight in to everything. :wink:

Except for that, I don't really have any more negative things to say. It is clear that this chapter has improved since the first time you wrote it. Your characters are more entertaining and you're doing a great job of showing instead of telling. That is something that I always appreciate when it comes to writing. A lot of people seem to find it difficult to show and not tell. Thankfully, you seem to be handling it pretty well. :D All that you really need to do is to maybe make the Murtagh asking Madeleine out thing a bit more realistic. If you do that, this chapter would certainly be a really great one!

Keep writing,

xoxo Rhian
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:02 am
Octave says...

Comments in red.

Elinor Brynn wrote:‘Miss Madeleine? It’s time to wake.’ Waking up isn't really the best way to start anything aside from the day, IMO. It's overdone.
I barely catch the soft voice, but am able to place it as that of Sarah, our housekeeper. Already bored, and it's still so early in the chapter. Eli, start with conflict. Even if it's just something trivial. Why does she want me to get up now? It seems as only moments ago I had laid my head down on my pillow. In addition, today I have no lessons save for violin at four in the afternoon. I roll over so that my back faces her.
I moan. ‘Why now? I'm tired.’ Sounds kind of forced and awkward, but that might be because of the time period it's set in.
‘Miss Madeleine,’ says Sarah impatiently, ‘Is this the way you want to greet your sister after four months of her absence?’
‘Helena’s coming?’ I jolt into a sitting position and stare at Sarah, who is smiling widely. When Helena married Admiral George Harris back in April, she moved with him to his home in Port Royal. Although not far, Harris did have somewhat of a busy schedule, much like Father. Although not far modifies Harris here, so it's strange. Also, this paragraph is kind of flat and stilted. There's no flow. This prevented the pair from visiting us—even though they said they would. The idea of her coming now seems too good to be true. ‘Will her husband be here also? And on what occasion is this?’ Again, dialog is very stilted. Forced. Even for old times.
‘No, it just Helena—she’s going to be with us for a few days. Her husband had to leave on an emergency mission, and he doesn’t know how long he’ll be gone.’
‘When is she coming?’
‘Very soon,’ Sarah replies. ‘Your father just left to collect her. Please get up so you’ll be ready when she arrives.’
I yawn and arise Personally I think rise would do better in this sentence. Doesn't disrupt the flow as much. out of bed when hunger strikes me. ‘Breakfast?’
‘Yes—I almost forgot. I have some glazed buns sitting in the kitchen; let me bring them up. Can you find what you want to wear today? Once I get back up you can eat and then I’ll help you dress.’
I nod and begin rummaging through my wardrobe. Eventually I find my favorite, a simple ice-blue one "One" doesn't have an antecedent. with a pale yellow bodice and pink lace surrounding the sleeves. I take it off its hanger and remember when I first got it; it had been a fifteenth birthday present from Helena. It was so pretty, too—and to wear it now would be the perfect occasion. I hear footsteps, so I set the dress down on the bed.
It’s Sarah, who has the buns. Grabbing one, I notice that they are still warm. It seems rude of her to grab one. She sets them on the table by my bed and eyes the dress that I picked out.
‘This one is lovely,’ she remarks. ‘Didn’t your sister get this for you?’
‘Yes,’ I reply. ‘It was a birthday present.’
Sarah smiles and begins to help me into the dress. Once it is on, she redirects me to the mirror. ‘You look lovely, Miss Madeleine.’ I twirl around; it’s been a while since I’ve worn this dress.
‘Your sister and father will be arriving very soon,’ Sarah says, ‘I’ll go to the stables to groom Kate, alright? Helena will probably want to see her when she arrives.’
Kate was Helena’s horse, whom she had gotten as foal when we had moved here from England three years ago. At Harris’s home, there was no stable, not even You might be missing a word here. to build one, so Kate had to stay here. I had a horse too, Snow. Helena and I used to always go for rides together; talking, laughing, and admiring the wondrous landscape of Jamaica. I still rode him, but just not as much.
‘Can you groom Snow too?’
‘I can do that for you, Miss Madeleine.’ I swear their conversation is so stiff.
‘Thank you.’
She leaves and I grab another bun, heading down to the foyer to wait for Helena and Father. There’s a small couch there which I can lie on.
Although, just as I’m about to sit down, I hear a knock at the door. Could it be them already? I open the door excitedly, but am met by a man with unkempt brown hair who looks to be about my age. Definitely lacks showing.
I wonder who he is and what he could be doing here. Don't tell us that. Show us. Show us her thoughts. ‘May I help you, sir?’
‘Is Admiral Grey home?’ he asks. I notice his thick Irish accent. How does it sound like?
‘Who are you?’
‘I’m Murtagh Simmons, the silversmith. I was just here to deliver an update on the status of the new candleholders that Admiral Grey ordered from me a while ago.’
‘Oh,’ I say. I feel somewhat stupid for not seeing that before. Father has been talking about how much we need new candleholders for a while; our newest ones were purchased eight years ago, when I was nine. ‘Well, I’m sorry, but my father isn’t home right now.’
‘That’s alright,’ he says, quite calmly. ‘You’re his daughter?’
‘Yes, I’m Madeleine.’
‘That’s quite a lovely name.’
‘Thank you,’ I say. ‘Your name is Murtagh? That’s quite an interesting name. I don’t think I’ve heard anything like it.’
He laughs. ‘Yes, it’s Irish.’
‘Were you born in Ireland?’
‘I was. Lived in Belfast until I was fourteen and my family moved out here.’
‘Really? When I moved out from England, I was also fourteen.’ Urgh. Badly disguised infodump. Don't. We don't need to know these. And I think they're breaking social conventions by talking all of a sudden as if they know each other.
He laughs. ‘Neat.’ It is then that I notice the color of his eyes; they’re a glistening bright grey, almost like the silver that he crafts. Odd timing. Makes her seem random and weird.
‘I love the color of your eyes.’ Flirting was a no no back then, especially for girls.
He laughs again. ‘Thank you. I’ve been told that—’
‘They match your profession?’
Murtagh nods and begins to smile widely. After that is silent for a moment.
‘So, what did you want to tell my father? He should be home very soon, so I can relay the message.’
‘Well, certainly,’ Murtagh says. ‘Just tell your father that I had a few other orders I needed to complete. I’ve started work on the candleholders and they should be finished soon, maybe in a week?’
‘That sounds good,’ I say. ‘I’ll be sure to tell him.’
‘Alright,’ he says. ‘Listen, I need to head out.’ This sounds kind of modern, almost.
‘Bye,’ I say.
‘Maybe we can see each other again someday,’ he says.
‘When?’
‘I don’t know. What about the beach, tomorrow at sunset?’ Noes. I'm pretty sure this wasn't conventional back then.
‘That sounds wonderful.’
‘Alright, I’ll see you then.’
He smiles, turns to the door and waves to me. I do the same as I watch him disappear into the crowded Kingston streets. Then I lie down on the couch and wait for Helena and Father to come. Too bland. Far too bland. She's from a higher class. This in itself should make what they're doing pretty risky.

Final thoughts:

This is bland. Way too bland. It lacks raw emotion, and that's what it needs right now. Every first person narrative requires you to develop the narrator very, very well. Right now Madeleine's extremely flat. She has no thoughts, no emotions, nothing. She's just...there. oO A bunch of words floating on a paper. Make her feel real, to me, Eli. Make me panic for her, be excited for her, etc. I once read an excerpt of this (I remember back when you were still Thorned.Rose), and from what I can see, Maddie (may I call her that?) is quite a strong character. She ought to have the voice necessary to carry this story.

You fail to show it, though. Dig deeper and try harder. We don't have to know everything about her now, but we need to see her thoughts. An initial impression should have started to take hold on our minds, but so far, the only impression I get is: Oh no. Another one of those flats. >>"

Next, you lack description. Pretend the reader is blind/deaf/numb, Eli. Pretend he can't smell either. Then show him the world. You don't have to tell him everything, but you'll want to tell him everything that's remarkable. The ones that'll truly help him understand what kind of world he lives in. :)

The dialog in this is very stiff. You need to work on it. Try reading more historical books to get a feel for how they talk. Despite being weird-ish, it's not stilted. This is extremely stilted. You shoveled words into your characters' mouth, IMO. It's just too weird. Pause. Listen to them talk. The flow of conversation, etc. Maybe you can even read out loud conversations from historical books and record them, then listen to them. Try to find the rhythm in the conversation and transplant that to your writing.

There are several flaws in this considering the time period. Madeleine is too friendly towards the silversmith, which is disapproved. If she was truly a well-to-do lady, then she would not even dream about it. Heck, I think even the most rebellious teens back then didn't dream of marrying someone below them, unless that someone was a highwayman or someone who lived an interesting life. Silversmith? Eh, not so much. The date happened too fast, as did their conversation. It was simply unacceptable back then. You're going to have to ease us into it slowly. On a related note, I doubt she has NOTHING to do. :\ That's kind of a sad life.

I disapprove of your beginning with Madeleine waking up. It's slow, it doesn't have conflict and it's pretty boring, not to mention overdone. Maybe you could start with her waiting impatiently on the couch for her sister to arrive, then opening the door to find Murtagh. Actually, on a related yet unrelated note I'm surprised she wasn't even slightly annoyed with him. I know most people would be. When you open the door expecting to find someone you're waiting for and instead see someone else, you get annoyed. Even more so when it's someone delivering a message. How would you feel if you were waiting for your best friend, who you haven't seen all summer, to come visit and when you hear the doorbell ring, you rush towards the door and slam it open, only to find the old man next door asking if your father was around? Not so happy, I take it.

Anyway, those were my opinions. Contrary to the other reviewers, I think I liked the first version better. :/ PM me if you have any questions about this review.

Sincerely,

Kara
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:03 am
NotSoOrdinaryGirl says...

Hey Elinor, I like your story :)

I kept scrolling down the page to read more. It such an interesting story. Might be sensing a romance between Madeleine and Murtaugh. Maybe you should heat it up a bit between the two of them. Make it seem more interesting ;D Anyways I really liked at the beginning of the story but as I began to scroll down it just happened so fast. Maybe you should slow down a bit and what time period is this? Well I think that's all . I really like your story and hope you continue writing this.
I believe we're about to acomplish something amazing <3

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:07 pm
CharlotteGrace says...

Hey Eli!!
So far I love the story. BUt I'm a little confused about a couple of things.

1. What time is this set in? It makes it really confusing for me to follow it when I don't know what time it's set in.
2. Where are they? I don't really get where they are. I mean, I know it's obviously a busy city, but what city. You could make one up. (I do all the time for my stories.)

Anyway I still liked it a lot!

-Charlotte Grace
"The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age." -Lucille Ball

You can't blame the writer for what the characters say.
— Truman Capote