z

Young Writers Society

Taint of Red (Working Title) Chapter 1

151 Reviews

Reviews: 151
Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:30 am
Forestqueen808 says...

Chapter 1

The wrinkles on the woman’s face showed more than they had in years. It was her ninety-fifth birthday, but her bright blue eyes shown just as bright as they had sixty years ago.

She sighed, touching her white hair. Memories of the full, blond locks engulfed her mind, and suddenly, she missed the past, the terrible, dark, heartbreaking past.

“Grammy?” The old door creaked as the woman’s seventeen year old granddaughter opened the door.

Grammy turned, her eyes swiping over her son’s beautiful daughter. It was like a reflection of Grammy’s past features. Her granddaughter’s blond hair was swept up into a bun and her blue eyes shone like the deep blue sea.

“Yes Liesle?” Grammy asked, trapped in memories.

“Grammy, I’ve told you a thousand times, call me Lisa.” Liesle sighed, sitting on the soft bed, and looking at her Grammy as Grammy stared at her. “Grammy? Are you okay?”

“Liesle? Do you know what today is?”

“Its your birthday, of course.” Liesle shrugged casually.
Grammy smiled. “That’s not all it is. It’s the seventy year anniversary of the beginning of Reichskristallnacht.”

“Reichskritsallnacht?” Liesle asked, trying to remember what she had learned in history class.

“The Night of Shattered Glass. The fourty-eight hours that millions of Jews were killed, arrested, and sent to Concentration Camps.”

“How do you remember that today is the…anniversary of that day?” Liesle asked skeptically.

“Because…” Grammy sighed. “That was the day, he came to me.” Grammy’s blue eyes suddenly became shiny with tears.

“Who Grammy?” Liesle asked, and when Grammy didn’t reply she asked, “How old were you?”

“I was twenty-five, and expecting a child.”

“What…what happened exactly?”

“Well, you’d have to go back to the year 1938, April 11th, 1938 to be exact. The day my father became a Nazi solider.”

I was twenty-three and had finally gotten a small apartment above a bakery. I was not married, but I had decided that I wanted to go to college in my hometown, Berlin. My family didn’t live too far away, so I visited them frequently. On April 11th my mother invited me to dinner, telling me that my father had a surprise for the family.

I remember walking to my parents home at precisely five-thirty and being greeted by my fifteen year old sister, Gretel. Gretel was like her usual self. She was bouncy, clingy, and extremely talkative. Her blond hair was always in a mess from running and showing off how fast she was to the boys in our small neighborhood.

My house smelled like flowers, since my mother loved them so. On every table, empty shelf, or desk, there was a vase of flowers. I liked to think of my mother as a flower herself. She always smelled of Cornflowers, and she looked like one. Her wavy blond hair always was up in a bun and her deep blue eyes were like the petals of the Cornflower. She always dressed in bright colors and wore the same perfect pearls around her neck.

Dinner was served at six-o-clock. That was the first time I saw my father in his uniform. His blond hair was combed over to the side, and his blue eyes shone with pride at our pure Aryan family. We were perfect in his eyes, and according to him, we were also perfect in the Führer’s, Adolf Hitler’s eyes.

“So what is the occasion father?” I asked politely, sipping my small glass of wine.

My father smiled at me, and then at my mother. “I have a very important announcement to make,” he said, standing up and crossing his arms. That was when I saw it. A red band wrapped around his upper arm, complete with a Nazi insignia. I felt my breath catch slightly. Everyone was wearing Nazi insignias nowadays…but it looked even brighter and shocking against the tan uniform my father was dressed in.

I cast my gaze down, only to look up again. My father was beaming. He looked so proud. “I have chosen to join the Nazi army.” His blue eyes shone like stars as we gazed upon his perfect army uniform.

“It must be a great honor,” I said, still gazing upon the Nazi symbol on his arm.

My father chuckled. “Of course it is Katarinna. The Führer will lead me and the other soldiers to victory! We will conquer nations and cleanse the Earth! There is no man greater than our dear Fürhrer, Adolf Hitler.”

I chased peas around on my plate, the thoughts running through my mind. My father, a solider. He would be put in danger, fighting against our enemies. But it was an honor. He was happy, and proud, and that was all that mattered.

“Adolf Hitler has changed our society, our economy is growing steadily better…” My father was rambling on about how great our Fürhrer was, and how he would make the world a better place. Personally, I didn’t see how.

^ ^ ^ ^

I left the house around seven-thirty, to return to my home. It was just starting to grow dark, it being spring. I had a test to study for that night, so I was hurrying home as fast as I could. That was when I saw him.

He was sitting outside of a small shop, a Star of David painted on the window and the word “Jude” written on the glass beneath the star. I stopped as I read the word and noticed the symbol. The man’s head was bowed, but I could tell he was the owner of the shop. His slightly curly dark hair was a sign of that.

I slowly started walking past, but stopped once again as I saw the door was boarded up. I looked back at the man and then at the boarded up door. I couldn’t help but feel bad for him.

The Jewish people are threatening our economy and our lifestyles. We pay more and receive less. My father’s words echoed in my mind. Did this very man threaten our economy and lives?

The man must have noticed me standing there, because he raised his head and suddenly stared at me. His chocolate brown eyes glistened with tears as he stared into my eyes.

“What? Have you never seen a Jew mourning his shop?” he asked, his voice cracking.

“No, I mean yes…” I trailed off. I shouldn’t be talking to this man. It was wrong. I was the daughter of a Nazi solider; the Jews were my father’s, and my enemies.

“We didn’t do anything wrong. We are just trying to live!” he raised his voice. “My mother and sisters have no money, I have to support them!” He was breaking down, I could see that much. “The Nazis will kill us all. They will. They won’t stop at shutting down businesses.”

“The Nazis won’t kill you,” I argued. “I am the daughter of a Nazi solider. He is too good of a man to kill.”

The man stayed silent and gazed upon my features. My blue eyes and my golden hair…he knew I was Aryan, he knew I was pure, he knew I was superior.

“What’s your name?” he asked curiously, eyeing me.

I inhaled. He was a stranger, a Jew no less. An enemy.

He sighed. “You know what? Forget it.” He slowly stood up and brushed off his pants. “No pure German would want to be friends with a Jew, am I right?” He didn’t wait for an answer. He just started walking down the street, leaving me in the dust, staring after him.

“Katarinna Dresner!” I called after him. I watched as he paused, turned towards me, and flashed me a smile.

“Jacob Gottlieb,” he replied, our eyes meeting at a distance, and locking almost immediately. I felt my lips curve into a smile and I raised my hand, waving.

Our eyes were released from each others, and he started walking once again. And as he turned the corner, don’t ask me how, but I knew, that I would see Jacob Gottlieb again.
Sorrow lasts through this night
I'll take this piece of you,
and hold for all eternity
For just one second I felt whole... as you flew right through me.

~Sorrow by Flyleaf

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:52 am
LookUpThere says...

Much better, but I'm still unconvinced (Meh, I'm tough)

I think your main problem was telling and not showing. Often you explained that you felt sorry, or were unconvinced etc.

And what happened to the spite for the Nazi ideas? That adds a whole new dimension. Your character has little depth in this incarnation. I'm not sure, is she for or against the Nazi.

Then, I think you need to change the first bit. This is the introduction of your story and will tell us what the rest will be like and whether we should continue or not. Rather then have Lisa enter in, start with her Grammy talking to her. Have Grammy say something shocking so Lisa can either disagree with her, or beg her to tell her more. Then progress.

I think overall you're taking this from the wrong angle. You're sticking with this certain scene that doesn't look progressable. You still lack drive at the end of your chapter. Your readers have read ten stories about war-torn lovers, but they'll stick around if your character's sound interesting. What I suggest is just re-write this chapter in the extreme. Instead of the Nazi Arm Band, make it that Symbol of Evil, Death. Show us this 'kind man' - Katarinna's father. If your father came home with news of having joined Al-Qaeda, would you really just brush it off? Re-write this in the extreme so that you can see what emotions you are trying to draw in this first chapter, then Show them and not Tell.

Well, I've R(elayed) and E(xplained) my VIEW of this,
In Heroism and Awesomeness,
Hero.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:29 pm
jayleighsmith says...

Okay, we have a lot to cover in a short amount of time.

-Tell me more of the room they are first in. I'd like to see longer paragraphs in between straight dialog. That is always my goal when writing. When I see a long paragraph of good description, I feel accomplished and not so guilty about having a lot of dialog.

-You can go into detail of what Grammy's hands long like as she touches her hair. Are they shaking? Are there any liver spots? Are any of her bright blue veins popping out?

-What does Grammy sound like? Her voice must be raspy with age.

-Go into slight detail about college. State that it is an all-girls university.

-What kind of flowers did her mother have about her home? Did her mom favor this one? Did the type of flower depend on her mood? I personally have never seen a cornflower, so you have to describe it a little more.

-When addressing people in dialog, you have to remember the commas. "Abbi, com here." "Come here, Abbi!" "How many times, miss Abbi, must I tell you to come here?" Get it?

-What is this young man's age? What is her estimate?

-Remember your first two MCs. Maybe after a chapter or two, have them go for tea or have Grammy be tired, so that we can see Lisa's reactions to the she is being told.

On to what I enjoyed:

-I like your dialog. It seems very realistic for the time period. You story is well shown through dialog, but remember those descriptions.

-I've always wanted to write a piece during this time and your POV is very interesting. Most of the time we see it from the Jewish side, I'd really like to see where you take this.

-Length. Awesome job. Not too much and not too little.

Good job, keep it up. I'd hate to see such a novel never be completed.

-Jayleigh
"Only love heals. Anger, guilt, and fear can only destroy and separate you from your true capabilities."-Damen

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:19 pm
Attolia says...

I read your other version and am happy to say I like this one WAY better - mostly due to the way you changed her perspective so that now she starts off vaguely accepting the third reich and the new way of things. It's much more realistic and interesting. And way less cliche - the sob story about someone not accepting the Nazi cruelty ("I can't believe this! It's horrible! How can nobody else see this for what it is?") has been done way too many times. And like I said, it's unrealistic. It's how we of this day and age see it, but it's not embracing the mindset of the people at that time. World War II is tricky to write (and all history, for that matter); you can't show in the slightest that a 21st century person is doing the writing. It has to be all from the mindset of someone from the 1930s/1940s. So you gotta really know your history to be able to get into that frame of mind. Anyway, so I like this version much better. However, I also agree with TheNewHero. He's making you really step out of the box and work hard, which is good. Your story right now is good, great, and all that, but like 99% of all stories, you're going to the conventional, slightly unoriginal route. Which can make for a great story, but really working hard and putting in that extra effort can make for a much more original and interesting plot/ narrative. But in the end, it's all up to you; write what you want to write and how you want to write it.

Anyway, regarding that German 1930s frame of mind, I have a few qualms - easy things that you can quickly fix.

that I wanted to go to college in my hometown, Berlin.

Nobody would call Berlin their "hometown". One, it's somewhat unintentionally giving an explanation/description to something that can clearly stand by itself - everyone knows of Berlin. But mostly, nobody would call it their "hometown". It's one of the largest and most famous cities in the world. They would say something like "but I had decided that I wanted to go to college back in Berlin, where I grew up." or "but I had decided that I wanted to go to college in Berlin, where I grew up." Also, I don't know how much this matters as you don't really have to change it, but Europeans call college "university," I think.

we were also perfect in the Führer’s, Adolf Hitler’s eyes.

There is no man greater than our dear Fürhrer, Adolf Hitler.

Never qualify "Führer". It wouldn't be natural for a German of that time. Everyone knows who the Führer is, so either just choose Führer or Adolf Hitler. Whether you are or aren't, it sounds like you're just qualifying it for our benefit, but they wouldn't say both.

But overall, this is quite good and all in all a good representation of the time. Be wary of over-explaining, though. Just talk about things like the Fürhrer or the Star of David as they would come naturally. Immerse us into her life, first and foremost; never purposely give us history other than what would be revealed naturally. Again, though, good work and keep it up!

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:16 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Okay, so I'm not trying to be picky but people with blond hair normaly don't go grey. They usually stay blond. I just wanted to point that out.
Live, Love, Laugh

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:52 pm
StellaThomas says...

Hey Emily, Stella here!

I. NITPICKS

The wrinkles on the woman’s face showed more than they had in years. It was her ninety-fifth birthday, but her bright blue eyes shown just as bright as they had sixty years ago.

I think you could make this better. Describe the wrinkles, then the eyes, then explain what age she is etc.
“That’s not all it is. It’s the seventy year anniversary of the beginning of Reichskristallnacht.”

Not to be picky, but I did this module for Leaving Cert history, and it's called Kristallnacht in all our books, texts etc. The Nazis did have a habit of putting "Reich" in front of everything, but it sounds too formal here.

“The Night of Shattered Glass. The fourty-eight hours that millions of Jews were killed, arrested, and sent to Concentration Camps.”

forty-eight. And to my knowledge, it around twenty thousand arrested, not millions?

“How do you remember that today is the…anniversary of that day?” Liesle asked skeptically.

Possibly because it happened on her fifteenth birthday?

“Who Grammy?” Liesle asked, and when Grammy didn’t reply she asked, “How old were you?”

comma after who.

95-70=...

Ignore me. I can't count :P

I was twenty-three and had finally gotten a small apartment above a bakery.

I thought she was twenty-five? It seems as if you've skipped straight when in fact you haven't.

we were also perfect in the Führer’s, Adolf Hitler’s eyes.

As somebody says, don't qualify Fuhrer. Either we know who we is, or we don't.

“I have chosen to join the Nazi army.” His blue eyes shone like stars as we gazed upon his perfect army uniform.

The Nazi Army? The SS? Or the Party? Or the normal army? Only I've never heard of the Nazi Army.

There is no man greater than our dear Fürhrer, Adolf Hitler.”

Again, don't qualify. And Fuhrer- but with an umlaut.

My blue eyes and my golden hair…he knew I was Aryan, he knew I was pure, he knew I was superior.

He knew I was Aryan? Seems a weird thing to say. Yes, obviously you're Aryan.

Alright.

II. HISTORICAL FICTION

The trick of historical fiction is to bring us into that moment. Here, you sort of skim over the details. Oh yeah, I was living in an apartment- describe the apartment. I went home- describe her home. She walked home that night- describe everything. Right now, you're sort of showing us the history- oh, look, Nazis, oh look, Jews- forget it. For the moment, concentrate on your character. Concentrate on who she is and what she's doing and where she lives. Concentrate on what she believes to be important in her life. You've got the historical, but you're almost missing the fiction. If you spend more time with her, the rest will follow.

III. OVERALL

Not bad, could use a little work.

Hope I helped, drop me a note if you need anything!

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:19 am
WelcomingException says...

She sighed, touching her white hair. Memories of the full, blond locks engulfed her mind, and suddenly, she missed the past, the terrible, dark, heartbreaking past.
“Grammy?” The old door creaked as the woman’s seventeen year old granddaughter opened the door.
Grammy turned, her eyes swiping over her son’s beautiful daughter. It was like a reflection of Grammy’s past features. Her granddaughter’s blond hair was swept up into a bun and her blue eyes shone like the deep blue sea.
“Yes Liesle?” Grammy asked, trapped in memories.
“Grammy, I’ve told you a thousand times, call me Lisa.” Liesle sighed, sitting on the soft bed, and looking at her Grammy as Grammy stared at her. “Grammy? Are you okay?”
“Liesle? Do you know what today is?”
“Its your birthday, of course.” Liesle shrugged casually.
Grammy smiled. “That’s not all it is. It’s the seventy year anniversary of the beginning of Reichskristallnacht.”
“Reichskritsallnacht?” Liesle asked, trying to remember what she had learned in history class.
“Because…” Grammy sighed. “That was the day, he came to me.” Grammy’s blue eyes suddenly became shiny with tears.
“Well, you’d have to go back to the year 1938, April 11th, 1938 to be exact. The day my father became a Nazi solider.”

This part is really catchy I like, how its just like in movies :)

I really like this chapter! I am a little confused at weather she is on the nazi side or not though. It is well written, and fun to read. Keep up the writing!!!
What a Welcoming Exception *

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
— Martin Luther King Jr.