z

Young Writers Society

Carrie Forester

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:35 am
HonoriaHayden says...

Okay this is a new story that I wrote out of sheer boredom at school the other day. It's set in the real 1700 and 1800s but instead of using the actual colony names I made up my own. :) I hope you like it and please don't be afraid to tell me how you really feel.

Carrie’s POV

“Is it not beautiful?” asked Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Crumpet was my best friend. Today she wore her long brown hair tied into a bun under her hat. We were at the Colony’s ribbon store, looking for ribbons to match our dresses for the Hamiton’s assembly in a fort night.

“Yes, it is quite beautiful, Elizabeth.” The ribbon she held was a peach colour, which complemented the dress’s colour of peach with white trimming.

“Carrie,” said Elizabeth. She was already onto the next set of ribbons, “this would go great with your blue dress.” She held a light blue ribbon up. My dress was a soft blue with white edging.

“Good eye, Lizzie.” I said. I smiled at her as we went up to Mr. Walters. As we were paying we inquired about his daughter Margret. She had married a solider last June.

“She is fine. Thank you for inquiring.” We told him to give her our regards and left.

Outside of the store, the Colony was all hustle and bustle. Horse-drawn carriages and carts cluttered the road. People were walking in and around the streets. This, added to the sunlight, caused an incredibly hot day.
I opened my fan and started using it to cool myself off. Elizabeth did the same. We looked at the faces of all the people we passed, something we always did out of curiosity.

Almost immediately, Elizabeth spotted her mother. It’s quite hard not to. Mrs. Crumpet has a stern face, never smiling, only moving when she talked. She sees us, too, and waves us over. I take a look at Lizzie and she looks defeated. There was no way we could avoid her now. We took a deep breath and walked across the street to where her mother was standing.

“Hello, girls. I have some news.” She tries to smile but it looks twisted. “Edmund Walker is coming back to the Colony.” Edmund Walker was a flirt. He lived in the house behind mine, only separated by a creek. Now, eighteen, Edmund has nothing else but girls on his mind. Our days of playing hide-and-go-seek in his garden are over, and now I have to live with the regret that we weren’t closer.

Edmund is quite the catch though. All of the young girls and even some mothers stare at him dreamily. I would never be caught dead staring at him though. I don’t see him as a charming young man, for I still see him as the young boy who used to make mud pies by the creek. No wonder it’s so busy then, I thought, people are getting ready for Edmund.

I looked around the street again and saw that there were quite a few ladies walking into shops. Older women were probably buying new soap for their daughters.

I turn back to Mrs. Crumpet and look at her. She seems genuinely excited. “I’m so sorry, Carrie, but I must take Elizabeth away from you.” She pulled her daughter’s arm. With an apologetic face, Elizabeth was tugged away.

I stood there for a moment, thinking of what to do next. Should I hang around town? No, what could I possibly do around town? Should I go to the gardens? No, John Bangcock is most likely to be there. John Bangcock is the smartest kid in the Colony, no doubt, but incredibly stupid when it comes to socializing with ladies. He sweats a lot, and spits when he talks. His spectacles will fall down his nose because he sweats so much. It’s very disgusting and unwelcoming.
Where else is there to go then? I couldn’t return home yet. They weren’t expecting me until later. Then I thought of the new book store down the street from where I stood now. I smiled at myself and started walking.

I passed tons of people walking towards the center of the Colony. I thought of turning back but decided that I would hear about it soon enough. I walked into the bookstore, greeted with the wonderful smell of leather. This was the Colony’s only bookstore. It was owned by a new family, I have no idea what their names are yet.

There were a few people in there, only the book-keeper and a couple of men. Most of the women in the Colony worry about what to wear to the next assembly or who will they marry, but not me. I already know that my life isn’t here in the Colony. Mother sent a letter to my aunt in the Willborough Colony up north, to ask if I could stay with her a month or two. I have never been away from this colony and am excited to go.

I looked at the books on the shelf in front of me. They are all ones I have read. It saddens me a bit, but doesn’t keep me down.

“Excuse me,” I said to the rather old book-keeper. “What time is it?” He pulled out a pocket watch and relayed the time.

“Oh,” I said. It is late, later than I expected. “I must get home.” I walked to the door and looked back at the old man. “I think your shop is rather lovely, by the way.”

I left with a smile on my face, as well as the old man’s.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:50 am
ADream says...

Hi, I like the story so far. I know that this is set in 1700s but somehow, when I read it, it doesn't sound like something out of 1700s. Maybe its the way the narrator is speaking, especially the part about the smartest person in the colony. That sounds much like how we normally converse nowadays. I also think that "I think your shop is rather lovely, by the way." can be replaced with "By the way, I think your shop is rather lovely."
It is only my opinion though. Good job.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 pm
jellybean says...

Hello HonoriaHayden! Grammar/spelling-wise you did very well, however there are a couple other things you need to work on.

(1) A Hook. Right now, the opening line that you have doesn't draw me in at all. You have to create tension from the first sentence that draws us in immediately and makes us want to know more. Throughout the entire chapter, I didn't pick up on any urgency or suspense.

(2) Showing, Not Telling.

Edmund Walker was a flirt.

She seems genuinely excited.

These are both examples of telling instead of showing. Instead of flat out telling us that Edmund is a flirt, show us how. What does he do that's flirty? Instead of telling us that she was excited, show us. Did her eyes sparkle? Was she hopping up and down?

(3) Authenticity. I agree with the reviewer before me about the dialogue not sounding like it comes from the 1700's. You might want to do some research on life during the 1700's and maybe rent some good movies set during that time period to get ideas.

Other than that, I think this story has some major potential to be super awesome. :) You mainly just have to work on creating tension and suspense to hook your reader and if you do that, everything else will follow smoothly. :)

Hope this helps!

Jellybean
"Whatever will happen, will happen. You either face it as a coward or you face it as a hero." - O.R. Melling

Write Like A Girl

Tumblr of the Awesome Possum

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena