z

Young Writers Society

Smash Bros. New Adventure Story Prologue/Ch 1 (2nd edition)

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 am
Fruits_Basket99Tohru says...

Hi everyone, it's Fruit again! Since I've made so many changes to my original draft, here's the new and improved second edition! As can be seen in the title. :D (Oh yeah--rated 12+ for some minor violence.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smash Bros. New Adventure Story

Prologue

It was a dark and stormy night. The wind moaned and howled outside the ominous and imposing Castle of the Ancients. Inside its dungeon, the prisoners groaned against their enchanted iron chains. Finally, Ike couldn't stand it anymore. "Let us the heck out of here, you--you monster!"

All the others agreed and grumbled against their captor. But they were quickly silenced by a deep, thundering voice. "You are my captives now, and if you do not obey, you will be thrown into the great Furnace of Heat!" At this, the fiery chamber by their jail cells suddenly came to life and crackled furiously. They nervously retreated into their cells, which they knew they would waste away in for eternity; there was no hope for them. Unless someone, a true hero, could rise above all the forces of evil. But how was that possible? They'd all been captured, even the strongest of them! So why did they still long for freedom?

Chapter 1

"I can't wait! I'm so excited to see Mario, Peach, Link, Zelda...all of the heroes that fought against Tabuu! Wasn't he a terrible, human-like monster?" the black-haired thirteen-year-old girl asked, her eyes shining as she playfully danced around her brown-haired mentor and guide, Tohru.

"Calm yourself, LiQian," Tohru gently warned. (That's what LiQian loved about Tohru--she was never harsh, but firm when needed, and Tohru was always kind and gentle as well.) "Remember that none of the impulsive nature can enter the sacred Courtyard of Cleansing of the Heroes' Palace. But yes, Tabuu was terrible. He--or it, shall I say--took many different forms and used different tactical maneuvers to get what it wanted."

LiQian nodded and continued walking behind Tohru on the path leading to the Heroes' Palace. This was where all the heroes who had previously defeated Tabuu, the all-time worst monster, lived. It was considered the greatest honor to be able to live in the Heroes' Palace. If anyone was invited to come live there, they immediately accepted and moved their belongings to the Palace.

Tohru and LiQian walked through the open gateway and went to the Courtyard. Instantly, they knew something was wrong. No one else was there; all was silent. Not a leaf stirred. The wind died down, and the sun's heat succumbed to the still, cold air.

LiQian frowned; Tohru tensed. There must be something we missed, Tohru thought. Where are all the heroes? And what about the little animals that used to always be here--the squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, and all the birds? They looked suspiciously around them.

It's quiet, LiQian thought as she narrowed her eyes. Too quiet.

At that instant, a herald voice proclaimed, "Charge!"

Immediately, Tohru and LiQian were surrounded by Primids of all kinds--Big Primids, Boom Primids, you name it. As the green, bug-eyed Primids formed a circle around them and started creeping closer, Tohru and LiQian grabbed their daggers from their belts and stood back-to-back, watching the Primids' every move.

Suddenly, when the mass of Primids came about five feet away from Tohru and LiQian, they stopped. After an awkward silence of about thirty seconds, LiQian muttered, "Oh, what the heck. We need to get this over with!"

Her dagger started slashing through the giant horde of Primids and everything seemed jumbled and crowded, with the millions of those things; they seemed robotic and dead, only following their unknown leader's orders. The Boom Primids were particularly annoying, because they attacked both short- and long-range with their boomerangs. Once LiQian had taken down all of the Boom Primids by bringing their health down to zero, she turned to help Tohru, who was fighting the regular Primids and the Big Primids. Just when Tohru and LiQian destroyed the Primids some cloud-like monsters appeared in the sky!

"Watch out," Tohru immediately warned LiQian. "I've had a lot of experience with these thugs when Tabuu tried to rule the world. See that little red bucket on their heads? That's what controls their reactions. Here comes one now!"

LiQian quickly learned the cloud-monsters' strategy; if someone wasn't paying attention, they'd get electrocuted before they even blinked, and if anybody attacked those thugs, they retaliated by turning dark black and zapping every good guy they could with violent forked lightning. It was interesting, learning how to beat special types of monsters.

But it was also incredibly draining--LiQian had to jump up right next to those floating clouds to attack them, and it was annoying, constantly having to dodge their lightning blasts. Eventually, after a huge amount of effort on her part in taking down tens of hundreds of cloud-monsters, there was only one cloud left in the sky. She sighed and watched it closely. It just stayed in that same spot in the sky, so she decided to look for Tohru. LiQian suddenly spotted her sprinting across the Courtyard towards her. "Watch out, LiQian!"

She turned and saw the cloud moving as if in slow-motion. A bolt darted out from within its puffy white folds; she reacted quickly and barely dodged the blast. Grabbing her dagger, she slashed through the monster numerous times. When she finally got rid of the last cloud monster, she was exhausted. But as she sat down to rest, she came to with a jolt--Tohru had just called for help! LiQian thrust her dagger back in its place along her belt and sprinted off after Tohru's captor, a hooded figure of some kind.

"Hey, let go of her, you fiend!" LiQian shouted. The figure did not even turn around, but merely waved its free hand at her. Suddenly, a huge, gel-like wall sprang up in front of her. She frantically tried to climb the wall, but the gel-like plasma came off in clumps off the wall. And every time a chunk of plasma came off the wall, it grew taller and wider.

She slammed her fists on the wall. "Let her go! You can't separate us forever!" The wall responded by putting on an extra protection layer of electricity. LiQian nervously tapped the wall lightly. The next instant, she pulled her arm away. "Ow!" After a few more tries, she at last gave up and turned back the way she'd come. When she reached the center of the Courtyard, she stopped there and stood motionless, honoring her friend, guide, mentor....

Suddenly, the wind picked up. It jerked her hair this way and that, as if it was telling her to turn around. Sighing, she did so. To her amazement, a solitary door stood there! She walked up to it. Tohru was gone; LiQian was all alone without anyone to help her. She shivered in the biting wind, then opened the door and stepped over the threshold.

To be continued...

Reviewers of the 1st, poorly-written edition, you can review this if you want. No obligation, though! I just want some opinions on how much improved this version is as compared to the first one. A link to the original: here. However, any reviews just on this part are fine as well! All that's wanted from me are some reviews on this piece. :)
"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person...so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you."
--Fruits Basket Book 1, page 134

Do you need a review?

239 Reviews

Reviews: 239
Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:54 am
MeadowLark says...

Heya there! Just a note, I never read the original, and so there will be no comparisons. Mayhap I'll read it after...This review will most likely just involve pointers on parts that are lacking description, or any plot or grammar errors I manage to spot. Anyroad, here it goes!

It was a dark and stormy night.

I don't know how serious you are with your story. If you're just writing it for funzies or what, but this sentence is so blah. Telly and just plain blah. This is the beginning sentence of your entire story! Make it creative to draw your reader in more. Of course...I did want to know what was going on that dark and stormy night :D

Inside its dungeon, the prisoners groaned against their enchanted iron chains.

Care to describe the dungeons? Are they dark and dank? Bright and clean? How many cells? How many prisoners in each cell? I guess what I'm saying is, try to spice it up and give details.

Finally, Ike couldn't stand it anymore. "Let us the heck out of here, you--you monster!"

This should be a seperate paragraph. Also, give Ike some actions and add emotion to his voice. I've played Super Smash Bros (in fact I own it) and Ike is the only character I am...besides Link. But to me, he seems more of a guy who would most defiantly come up with a perfect insult towards his captor. "You monster" sounds kinda weak and desperate.

All the others agreed and grumbled against their captor.

Grumbled? Perhaps protested would suit this more so. Also, did they strain against their bonds, shout out insults, swears, etc?

"I can't wait! I'm so excited to see Mario, Peach, Link, Zelda...all of the heroes that fought against Tabuu! Wasn't he a terrible, human-like monster?"

Who the heck is Tabuu? I was wondering that throughout this whole chapter. Are you going to explain more about him in chapters to come, 'cause I'm curious to know who he is.

(That's what LiQian loved about Tohru--she was never harsh, but firm when needed, and Tohru was always kind and gentle as well.)

I don't think you need to put this sentence into brackets. It's perfectly fine without them ;) It shows Tohru's character.

Tohru and LiQian walked through the open gateway and went to the Courtyard. Instantly, they knew something was wrong. No one else was there; all was silent. Not a leaf stirred. The wind died down, and the sun's heat succumbed to the still, cold air.

Could you describe the Courtyard? I love a story that has enough description to aid my mind in forming pictures, but not so much as to bore me so I start skimming. So, describe it! Bring the Courtyard to life! Is there a statue of Mario and Peach dancing? Or...Link fighting Ganon with Zelda standing behind him?

You suddenly throw in that the two companions knew something was wrong. Mayhap, if you describe the Courtyard the way it was presently (desolote and dark, or just plain deserted)and compare it to the way it should have appeared, then explain the shivers or forbidding thoughts that formed in your characters minds, your reader will fully understand how they knew something was wrong.

Immediately, Tohru and LiQian were surrounded by Primids of all kinds--Big Primids, Boom Primids, you name it.

What are Primids?

~~~~~

I'm gonna cut it short here 'cause it's quite late and I gotta get up early. So, enough with the little nitpicks and I'm just gonna express my opinion and hopefully give you some pointers:

I'm not entirely sure of the point of the battle or exactly sure what was going on. Perhaps you could clarify it all up and perhaps explain the enemies here or later on because I have positvely no idea what they are. I hate speaking for other people too, but others may be confuzzled like I.

Your characters--I know it's only the beginning--are kinda flat. When her mentor is taken/being carried off, let LiQian express her emotions. Let her kick and scream at the wall, throw oaths about. Just show your reader how much LiQian is desperate and torn up about her mentor being taken.

The door, in the end, it amazed LiQian (It's a neat name and I've never thought to capitilize a letter in the middle!) but how? Did her jaw drop or what? Describe the door, and perhaps what she saw on the other side less you plan on saving that.

Also, putting in the characters thoughts on to why all the heroes are gone might be interesting. I know I'd sure be wondering, even if I'm in the middle of a battle.

Awesome story, never thought I'd come across one about Smash Bros. My brother and I have the N64, Gamecube and Wii Smash Bros. (I'm a gamer) and I was interested to see what this was about ;) I wasn't disappointed. This was interesting, just needs a bit more tidying up.

PM if you have any questions!

Meadow
Purple light in the canyon
that is where I long to be
With my three good companions
just my rifle, pony and me

--- "My Rifle My Pony and Me"

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:09 pm
Ranger51 says...

I got excited the moment I read this - I've actually long considered doing an SSBB fanfic for a long time, but never actually did... I love the game, so I automatically loved this, but this is a review, so here are some things I wanted to point out:

It was a dark and stormy night. The wind moaned and howled outside the ominous and imposing Castle of the Ancients. Inside its dungeon, the prisoners groaned against their enchanted iron chains. Finally, Ike couldn't stand it anymore. "Let us the heck out of here, you--you monster!"
I read your original as well as this, so I know that the first sentence was a mandatory thing your LA teacher had you do. But, although I've never actually played the game Ike is originally from, I've never imagined him stammering over his words, judging from what I've seen in SSBB. "You monster" is also sort of cliched as far as insults go, so perhaps something else might give off a better effect of the hatred and anger you're trying to convey. Most of this is personal preference anyways, though, so do what you feel like!

LiQian nodded and continued walking behind Tohru on the path leading to the Heroes' Palace. This was where all the heroes who had previously defeated Tabuu, the all-time worst monster, lived. It was considered the greatest honor to be able to live in the Heroes' Palace. If anyone was invited to come live there, they immediately accepted and moved their belongings to the Palace.
Why are LiQian and Tohru going to the Heroes' palace in the first place? From the description here, visitors probably aren't smiled upon (or else there would be no end to them), and if only the heroes who beat Tabuu lived there, LiQian and Tohru can't be moving in - they weren't in that category. Also, what was the path like? Was it long, winding and peaceful or straight and short? They could be walking on an active volcano, for all I know!

Help!! I still have no idea what this place is actually like. I have to work to figure out anything about this place at all. Was it full of trees and flowers, or just a plain empty field? You said it got cold - was it winter? Or did the temperature have nothing to do with the weather? And what about the gate? Was it huge and ornate, or simple and homely?

Immediately, Tohru and LiQian were surrounded by Primids of all kinds--Big Primids, Boom Primids, you name it. As the green, bug-eyed Primids formed a circle around them and started creeping closer, Tohru and LiQian grabbed their daggers from their belts and stood back-to-back, watching the Primids' every move.
Holy cow, you used the word 'Primid' a lot! Making a list of different kinds is fine, but describing them as 'Primids' every time seemed a little repetitive. You could call them 'creatures' or 'monsters' after their initial appearance.

The Boom Primids were particularly annoying, because they attacked both short- and long-range with their boomerangs.
If I was fighting for my life, I'd use a term a little stronger than 'annoying'.

Her dagger started slashing through the giant horde of Primids and everything seemed jumbled and crowded, with the millions of those things; they seemed robotic and dead, only following their unknown leader's orders...
...Eventually, after a huge amount of effort on her part in taking down tens of hundreds of cloud-monsters, there was only one cloud left in the sky.
Fighting off massive amounts of monsters is a necessity in SSBB. However, literally millions of monsters wouldn't even fit in a large city. And even if they only took a punch in the face to kill and you never got hurt, punching something millions of times would take more energy than the human body has. Perhaps hundreds of Primids and clouds would be somewhat realistic (considering SSBB realistic-ish-ness).

To her amazement, a solitary door stood there! She walked up to it. Tohru was gone; LiQian was all alone without anyone to help her. She shivered in the biting wind, then opened the door and stepped over the threshold.
Firstly, although this is purely personal preference, I tend to avoid overusing exclamation points. One of my real issues here is, once again, a lack of explanation. What did the door look like? What did LiQian actually think? Plus, "She walked up to it" seems very bland for what could potentially be a mysterious, magical moment. After that, adding the sentence about Tohru was two things: one, it was unnecessary, and two, it came from nowhere and led nowhere. The last sentence, however, I loved. It left me hanging, grasping for more.

Right. Now that the tedious, too-harsh-for-the-good-story-this-is nitpicking is done, I'd just like to remind you that the main problem here was a lack of detailed description. It's hard ot get a mental image of the scene when you don't know anything about the setting.

But this was awesome anyways. I've always wanted to see an SSBB fanfiction, and here it is! I can't wait to see what happens with Tohru (although I don't even know who she is), and although I'm still kind of in the dark about what LiQian (awesome name, by the way), and I'm on the edge of my seat over the heroes and wondering who on earth could have bested them all...

Keep writing! I'll be waiting..... (fades into the shadows)
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"
-Fahrenheit 451

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.