z

Young Writers Society

Pokemon Sinnoh Region (Squallz version) Prologue:Eve of Dawn

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:16 pm
Squall says...

Hi guys. I love Pokemon so much and especially Dawn. I love how she talks and how cute she is on the cartoon. However, I thought she lacked depth, the problem why Poke'mon is not much of a hit nowadays. Thus, I decided to rewrite Poke'mon, making it my way and adding more depth into the characters. I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoy writing it. This is based on the new girl character from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl cartoon, Dawn.

-------------------- Prologue: Eve of Dawn----------------------------

Dawn sat on her bed, staring into the night sky. Moonlight shone through the windows and flooded the room in its faint light. Sitting on a table beside the window was her alarm clock, ticking away the final hours before she turned ten. Next to her was a cushion of a Snorlax with its belly facing up.

She lifted her arm and placed her hand on its belly. It felt soft and smooth, one of the many reasons why the silk of Spinarak was so expensive. Little pointy ears, stubby arms, round padded feet and three horizontal lines for a face. It always had an eminently cheerful face smiling distantly, even when Dawn was upset and threw it across the room.

Dawn drew a deep breathe, absorbing the sweet scent of floral honey wafting from her Snorlax cushion.

The scent had always been with her during childhood. It was on her fifth birthday, her mother gave her that cushion as a present. The nights that Dawn slept on the cushion, along with her occasional embrace allowed her scent to be shared. The essence of the Combee hives.

Dawn continued staring at the starry night, despite the moon being blanketed by a cloud. It was not the moon she wanted to see most, but the stars. There were so many of them, sparkling high in the dark sky. Could she count them all? All that the eye could see? Maybe there were more beyond the Sinnoh region.

She wanted to be closer to the stars the moment she first opened the curtains at night. The window was the portal to the stars, locked by a handle.

Removing her hand on the cushion, she reached for the handle and turned it upward. Still holding the handle, she pushed it and the portal open.

A soft gale rushed into her room, heralding the opening of the portal. It gently brushed the skin on her arms as though it was welcoming her to see the stars.

She grabbed the cushion and placed it on the window sill. She raised her right arm, putting the elbow on the pillow and leant her head forward. She opened her hands and placed her chin on the palm.

This was where she wanted to be: To be with the stars. The chirping of the insects and the howling of the owls were the musicians of the night and of the stars. The moon had little part in this symphony, for it contributed only once a month.

“Why did mum become a Poke’mon co-ordinator anyways?” She thought to herself.

Down the stairs, past the corridor and into the living room, there was a fire place already lit up. Above it stood more than a dozen golden statues. Their surface showed the reflection of the fire’s licking flames. There was also a couch, a tree standing in the corner and a coffee table in the centre of the room.

When guests arrived and entered the living room, the first thing that captured their eyes was the portrait of her mother smiling at the audience and to the media. With her free hand, she was waving to them as a sign of appreciation for congratulating her victory in the tournament.

At the same time, her Beautifly hovered around her.

But she was not holding onto any trophy, for they were only a simple representation of her victory, deprived of any emotion.

Instead, she was holding onto Dawn, her young and beautiful daughter. Dawn was smiling, just like her mother. She too held her mother close as they were showered with ribbons, confetti and balloons.

This portrait hung above the couch, giving life and meaning to her mother’s winnings resting in this room. The sacrifices she made, the effort and trust she placed in her daughter.

Her mother truly loved Dawn.

“Dawn, it is time for bed.”

“Yes mum.”

It was getting late. She had yawned a few times earlier, the signs of fatigue. Today will be the last night she will be staring through this portal.

Tomorrow, she will be with the stars. The mysteries of the Sinnoh region will become open to her. She will soon face countless challenges, make new rivals and friends.

She will soon understand the love between humans and Poke’mon.

She lifted her arm off the cushion and hugged it tight. She knew she may never see him again, for it was time to grow up.

The Snorlax cushion only eschewed normal possessions, pursuits and goals. He left behind the material world, choosing only to dream. Dreaming, meditating, relaxing, being lazy, musing, pondering, and idly wishing.

He had the freedom to pursue intellectual efforts. He had nothing to worry about.

He didn't worry about money, or about existentialism. When he ate food, he takes only what he needed. Snorlax just enjoyed life to its fullest, pursuing two of the greatest pleasures this world has to offer, never fretting. It's a stress-free, pleasant life.

Snorlax had a kind of freedom that existed only in a child's story. But what was the point in life without challenges?

It was the representation of laziness, the bane of the connection she shared with her mother.

Dawn changed into her nightdress and dived into the blankets. The clock ticked away her final hour. She closed her eyes and was soon asleep.

The moon soon reemerged from the cloud, casting a beam of moonlight on the sleeping Dawn and of the Snorlax cushion discarded at the side of her bed.

Dawn slept on, not realizing the hands of the clock were at the twelve.

Her adventure had begun.
Last edited by Squall on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

195 Reviews

Reviews: 195
Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:00 pm
PsychicNinja says...

Hi Squallz!

I actually watched the first episode of the new series.
I think you did a much better job!
I really like the emotion, and how you portrayed Dawn's inner emotions!

*shyly admits she likes Pokemon*
*is waiting to be killed*

Anywho,
You did a good job, Squallz!
Please write more!

~Rogue Jedi Master and Jonin of the Hidden Leaf, Timea
"Look, Ma. No hands"
"You haven't got a ma."
"Maybe a nice old lady will adopt me. I'm very loveable."
―Fi and Darman

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:13 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Wonderful job, Squallz!! I may not have seen the first episode of any of the series, but I DO have to say, you write Poke'mon so much better! Wonderful job!

Poke'mon rocks! Especially Lugia, Suicune, Entei, and Raikou!

Ayumi
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:25 am
Rydia says...

Wow, it's been many years since I watched pokemon and so I don't know this character or the new storyline but I found this interesting. You switch tenses a few times so go back and check that but it's pretty well written and I like how you've portrayed the character.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:15 am
Nutty says...

Yay! You got a trashy kids program and gave it meaning... And did it rather well, too.
I didn't see any mistakes, but that is one perceptive kid. I haven't watched any with her in it... So I'm assuming she was anyway?
But anyway, I think you could turn pokemon into a real program, given the chance- it seems to have deteriorated since I stopped watching. Or maybe I just got older XD
Very good! Can't really see anything in particular to improve on.
It's not easy having a good time. Even smiling makes my face ache.

Some call me a legacy, others call me a hero. But I assure you, dear admirers, I am only human.
— Persistence