z

Young Writers Society

Shepherd's Lamb (working title) Prologue

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

WARNING! Some of this may contain graphic or obscure things that may not be suitable for children.

Prologue

"In which we meet two men, the shepherd and a lamb."

“Murder is not the crime of criminals, but that of law-abiding citizens.” I like the idea of starting with quotes too.
-Emmanuel Teney

The blood splattered against the cement floor like a paintbrush smudging crimson [s]red[/s] Seeing as crimson is a shade of red you don't need to mention the word red, that way you won't tie your readers up in first line descriptions. As a first line I'm not too sure about this: generally descriptions like these aren't great for an opening sentence. Opening sentences need to grab us into the story, pull us and refuse to let us go. This does intrigue us to some extent, after all we want to find out why there's blood on the floor, but whether we'd carry on reading, that's another matter. paint against a blank canvas. Two men were in the small basement. This opinion will most certainly be controversial, but I think this line should be the opener, it's short and to the point, yet interesting. The one lying on the floor was a Mr. Steven Miller. He was on the floor with his bloody and putrid smelling organs partially spread across his freshly spattered blood. Whoa! Slow down! Way too many descriptions in the one sentence, you also use the word blood/bloody too much. This line needs to be condensed. Description can make a story, but at the same time it can ruin it, I'm just telling you to be careful. They were all still connected to him. The other one was standing besides the man. Glinting in the weak light of the basement was a butcher knife in his grasp. Steven began to shake when he saw it. The thought of his impending doom caused him to stutter.
“P-please…” He tried whimpered, but he found it quite difficult, especially when he was chocking on his own blood. I like this line, it's certainly eerie, and for that alone, not to mention a few other things, I think readers would continue.

He stared with terrified eyes at the horrific beast before him. In fact, the man holding the butcher knife was nothing more than a disgusting, filthy, and ugly creature to Steven. However, the man was actually This might just be me, but I don't think you need the however and actually, that's a bit too much, in my opinion. far from looking like a demon. He was dressed in finely garmented, and expensive clothing. Someone would have expected him to come from an elegant party of a rich noble family. “There, there. Everything is well, be at ease. Jack shall lay down your suffering existence so yet another lost lamb can be reunited with the shepherded god.” His tone was calm and melodious; if the man weren’t holding a bloody butcher knife his words would have been sweet as candy. I love the bitter mocking antagonist. He's very interesting indeed.

The poor defenseless man was dying on the cold and hard floor.See... to cut down on adjectives I think perhaps you could make your narrator less biased? Why should the narrator feel sorry for the dying man? He tried to crawl away, but he knew the truth. Steven was no doublyDo you mean doubtly? I think doubt would work better. going to have his pathetic existence ended by this mad man. Slowly he looked over at the inhuman creature positioned besides him. “W-why?”

The elegantly dressed man stared at him, slightly baffled at his query. Placing his long and slender hand on his chin he pondered his question. “You do not understand why?”

He started to giggle, which lead to full out maniacal laughter. “My, my. Poor lamb, which is surely lost within a maze of its own troubled mind. Jack's heart has become filled with amusement and mirth. The thought of the lamb’s ignorance towards its crimes makes Jack feel both pity and frustration towards that foolish lamb, which lies helplessly before Jack.”

The man than stomped his foot onto Steven's back. He wailed like a newborn infant, powerless and dependent on its mother. “Jack grows weary of your sinful existence. So if it is knowledge you wish to know before seeing the golden gates to be judged, then very well. This one is both your judge, and your executioner. You, little lamb, have sinned against the great maker, our savior. God.”

He locked his fingers together and stretched his arms, making his back pop. “ You little lamb have lost your innocent white wool, and have obtained a tainted black one. Filled with greed, one of the worst human sins. You have done whatever you can to make the devil's paper. You have lied, raped the innocent for your amusement, and you have forgotten God. It is now time for you to pray and hope that God will forgive you, because Jack shall show you nothing but the fury of God’s justice.”

Ending his sentence the man began to repeatedly jab the knife into Steven's back, till he stopped squirming. Blood squirted out of the cuts and splashed against his pearl white face. Without a moment waste he stood back up in his proper form, and took out a hanker chief from his black formal jacket chest pocket. Slowly and gently he rubbed the blood from his face. After all the blood was gone, he folded the hanker chief perfectly back into his chest pocket. Gasping, the man noticed the time on his wristwatch. “Oh, it’s past noon! Jack has wasted too much time on slaying a lamb. It is almost time to welcome the new neighbor.”

He hastily bounded towards the stairs, and sighed. “Murder is terribly exhausting for a man with a busy schedule.”

*How was that! I hope I made the crazy man talk really fancy*

Show don't tell!
Right, you've been told this already, but the thing that you need to improve upon is showing. You do too much telling and not enough showing. Put these ideas into events. It's fair enough saying:
"Lucy likes to eat oranges" but instead show us this in action. Show us a situation where Lucy eats the oranges. Make the characters more real by proving that what you claim of them is real. Basically, if you fix this problem the rest of the problems should fall into place and fix themselves, if you get what I mean.

Upon what lies the foundations of our fantasies?
Plots. Probably the most influencial thing upon our writing. Your plot is good. I like the idea of a girl living next to a murderer, and if you go about it in the correct way, it'll be great. Your writing is partly idiosyncratic, I say partly because it is almost original, yet your use of adjectives makes it worse. The matter of adjectives I hope to discuss later 8)

Style
I like yours. The language

I'm going out just now with my mum, but remind me later and I'll get back to do the rest of this review. In case you were wondering, I have a lot of positive things to say that I've not said yet ;)

So remember to bug me later x
for what are we without words and stories?

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:49 pm
lil-mizzkitty1 says...

hi

wow that was a great story i love the way the murderer sounded so posh. it was really creepy

(in as good way). the murderer in most story is a deranged lunatic with no life. but I'm

starting to think that this murderer might even have a wife and kids! also a few grammar

problems but great prologue looking forward to finishing reading this story.

bye
"It is better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self."

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:45 am
Lost_in_dreamland says...

Hi, I'm back, so I may end up accidentally repeating some of what I've already said, for which I am sorry. Anyway, let's see:

I like the style. It's original. Just be careful not to go over the top with your style as your style is a bit too much telling and not enough showing. Be careful and you should be fine.

characters
I like the sophisticated murderer. It gives him an edge. Perhaps he signifies something? Perhaps criticizing how society depicts people as something they're not? Or maybe something else, or maybe he doesn't signify anything. :lol:

c'est la vie
In parts this story doesn't appear too realistic. How can a man be alive if his organs are half pulled out? In this case, his body wouldn't function and he would die. He'd have been dead for a long time.

Be careful
You have to be careful in this type of piece. Very careful. You're writing a novel (or short story) in which one of the main characters is a murderer. To do this you're going to have to get into the mind of a murderer, which will be hard for those that are not murderers. For instance, you need to keep in mind a variety of social and cultural ideas as well as theories and plans. So let's take social first shall we:

*social - How would society treat a murderer? Well, most well brought up humans are of the belief that we should not kill another. Why? It is morally wrong, inhuman, and are not we, as individuals as valued as others? Society is going to punish murderers, resulting in jail. Now, society don't know your character is a murderer but you need to be very careful. Wouldn't some people have slight concerns? Wouldn't they perhaps wonder why some people go into his house and don't come out, or perhaps why he spends so much time in his house. Imagine you lived next door to a murderer. What do you suspect are the tell tale signs? How would you realise and what would you do about it? You must take into account all of these factors, otherwise your story will feel the impact. Just remember, the more you think about your story, the more realistic it will appear.

*cultural - Everyone has beliefs. Even murderers. Perhaps the murderer needs to take into account his own beliefs. This is something that can really help your story. Perhaps you could use cultural beliefs to make him doubt himself, which will then make us empathise with him.

* theories and plans - How does he plan to kill these people? Especially in stories which have murder scenes monologues would be a great help. Have him come up with plans, doubt them and then rethink them. Ponder the possibilities and dismiss the ones that he doesn't believe.

Keep in mind these three things and your story should improve a lot realistic wise.

I think that's basically everything for just now. I might come back later and add to it, sorry if it's not very good, I'm extremely tired and it is rather late.

~Kirsten
for what are we without words and stories?

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:31 pm
Calebdial says...

omg, i absolutley love it. stories liike these inspire me so much.

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:32 pm
Calebdial says...

omg, i absolutley love it. stories liike these inspire me so much.

287 Reviews

Reviews: 287
Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:20 am
Maki-Chan says...

thanks! and hopefully If I can get off my fat lazy behind I will update and edit stuff! v_v
check out my deviantart account ^_^
http://maki121.deviantart.com/

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:10 am
cooldude19967 says...

So sorry this took so long, I've been really, really busy.

I think you have a good idea here, but I found one main problem throughout the story which really got on my nerves. That was your use of adjectives. At times you used so many it bored me to death, I knew what you meant and just wanted you to get on with it, and at others I felt like I wanted more description, or that you didn't understand what the words you were using meant. Other than that the rest of my review is a bunch of nit picks. I posted it in word format because I hate transferring all of the red over to the site.

I hope that this review helps you out, and that you do continue with this story. I look forward to seeing where the girl you mentioned comes into all of this.
Attachments
Shepard's Lamb.doc
(33.5 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Ready and willing to rip your work to shreds! (That is if you want it) Check out my "will review for food" thread.

topic42969.html

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:29 am
lysp23 says...

WOW

842 Reviews

Reviews: 842
Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:31 am
ashleylee says...

Hello, Maki-Chan! I’m super sorry that it took me so long to respond to your request for a review on my ‘Will Review for Food’ thread. I kind of been neglecting it, so I apologize :oops:

One of which was lying on the floor with his bloody and putrid smelling organs partially spread across his freshly spattered blood. They were all still connected to him.

This is some pretty grotesque things you are writing about and I feel like you are being to blunt about them… :? I’m not sure if you are aiming for that or aiming for artistic. I have yet to know if this is from the murderers POV or not so I guess I’ll just leave that up in the air for now.
For the actual sentence structure above, I think you should combine these two sentences together to help the flow.

The other one was standing besides the man Glinting in the weak light of the basement was a butcher knife in his grasp.

You forgot a period after “man”

The man lying on the floor began to shake when he saw it. The thought of his impending doom caused him to stutter.
“P-please…” He tried whimpered, but he found it quite difficult, especially when he was chocking on his own blood.

First, it either should be: He tried to whimper or He tried whimpering.
Next, ‘chocking’ is spelt ‘choking’.

“There, there. Everything is well, be at ease. This one shall lay down your suffering existence so yet another lost lamb can be reunited with the shepherded god.”

‘God’ should be capitalized.

He was no doubly going to have his pathetic existence ended by this mad man.

I’m really confused by this sentence. What do you mean by ‘no doubly’? I’m pretty sure there is a spelling error here and I’m guessing that you mean ‘now’ instead of ‘no’. If not, I suggest a rewrite of this sentence because I’m not sure of what it means.

~ ~ ~ ~

Wow, that was really… intense. I’m not really into the really gory horror stuff but I do think that you should develop your madman more. He seems like every other crazy guy. However, I do give you props for giving him an obsession with religion. That was a twist I wasn’t expecting :wink:

Anyway, I can’t really comment any further than that. It was only the prologue but I do think it was well written. Just develop your characters and plot more and you’ll be fine.

Good luck! :D
"Woe to the man whose heart has not learned while young to hope, to love—and to put his trust in life."
~ Joseph Conrad

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
~ Red Auerbach

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 pm
Dark Sploosh says...

Good enough, although I noticed quite a few spelling errors. Also, the pacing seemed off at times. When you start out, it seems to be from Steven's point of view, and we are clearly shown his thoughts and fear. Then, after all the pseudo-religious ranting from Jack (I did like how he referred to himself in the third person), Steven is murdered rather quickly and blandly. I was expecting Steven's frantic, agonized final thoughts on his own death. It was like you just randomly switched POV in the middle of the chapter.

This being a prologue, there's not a lot to talk about yet, of course. I would make it longer though, and add in a few more details about who this Steven guy is. It would be much more interesting if we were given a reason to care about Steven before his agonizing death. Unless of course you want to tell that later in flashback, but I would recommend doing it here. Keep at it.
“The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.”
– Marshal Ferdinand Foch

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:45 pm
littlemissgluttonous says...

Okay.. here is MY review. A little late-sorry! But I'm a future fan, so that's okay, right? Because I really, really like it.
Attachments
The blood splattered against the cement floor like paint against a canvas.doc
I really loved the first chapter.. can't wait to read the second
(27 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Mon May 04, 2009 3:10 pm
Rascalover says...

You made a few silly mistakes thta you could of fixed with easy proffreading, but over all I loved it!

The blood splattered against the cement floor like a paintbrush smudging crimson red paint against a blank canvas
Amazing description in the very beginning. It draws the reader in curiously and mysteriously.

The one lying on the floor was a Mr. Steven Miller.

I will use this sentence as an example. you use alot of un-needed words. The word a can be taken out. Your wordy usaage sometimes makes it difficult to read this piece.

He was on the floor with his bloody and putrid smelling organs partially spread across his freshly spattered blood.

Once again awesome description!

“P-please…” He tried whimpered, but he found it quite difficult, especially when he was chocking on his own blood.

Use whimpering instead, it flows better that way :)

The poor defenseless man was dying on the cold [s]and[/s] hard floor.

Instead of using and between cold and hard just use a comma.

Placing his long [s]and[/s] slender hand on his chin, he pondered his question.

Replace and with a comma

He wailed like a newborn infant, powerless and dependent on its mother.

Smilies such as these are great to use in a story such as this, and I have seen a few through this short passage. Great job :)

Blood squirted out of the cuts and splashed against his pearl white face.

So realisitic. Almost makes me feel like im going to get sick. Your descriptive usage is fantastic!

Code: Select all
Without a [u]moment[/u] [s]waste[/s] he stood back up in his proper form, and took out a hanker chief from his black formal jacket chest pocket.

Im sure this isj ust a typing error but you need wasted not waste. But now that I look at it again maybe you meant not a moments waste. Then you just need an s on moment.

Slowly and gently he rubbed the blood from his face. After all the blood was gone, he folded the hanker chief perfectly back into his chest pocket. Gasping, the man noticed the time on his wristwatch. “Oh, it’s past noon! Jack has wasted too much time on slaying a lamb. It is almost time to welcome the new neighbor.”

I love the fact that you make it seem as though hewas just doing a hobby. Just another days activity and he enjoyed it for a while too long so now he would be late to do business.

He hastily bounded towards the stairs, and sighed. “Murder is terribly exhausting for a man with a busy schedule.”
You make this seem like he has said thisjust normally. Fantastic, Im glad he seems like such a psycho.

Overall: Awesome job! It kept me, as a reader, interested and wanting to know more. your characters are played out thoroughly and complete with amazing emotions. I hope this review was helpful even though it seems as though you've had plenty before this one.

I'm sorry it took me so long to get this done :)
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Mon May 04, 2009 7:27 pm
Sela Locke says...

All those others have gotten the nitpicks, so I'm just here to talk about your maniac.

I - love - maniacs.

I love making them do ridiculous things, I love making them... lovable, in a way. Not like, Oh, look, Jerry's digging up dead bodies so he can axe them into little pieces! Isn't that adorable? but more, well... how could I say this...

I know! Here's what I do. I take a character, say, a psychopath vampire. He seems polite at first, he's reasonably attractive, and somewhat clever. You grow to like him because of his obliviousness (let's say he once offered to take his shirt off for the MC - a girl - to prove his heart really didn't beat), his childish vanity, his silly jokes. And then he's out hunting and the MC follows him, and discovers him drinking some poor girl's blood in the backstage of a deserted theatre. He stands up and tosses her body aside, and when he sees the MC, he doesn't freak out, but smiles at her horror as though he didn't just kill someone rather violently.

Or,

Make him seem really nice, and then just when the MC starts to like him, have the silly vamp turn weird and beat the crap out of her for not washing his favorite bowl right. And then act the next day like he never harmed a hair of her head. He's eccentric, he's funny, he's disgusting, but he's never obvious about it, and for heaven sakes, he doesn't have a dumb motto or an evil MUHHAHAHAH laugh.

I apologize if I'm not making any sense, but I have a thing for subtly horrible people. That's why you're maniac annoyed me, he wasn't really subtle at all.

He started to giggle, which led to all-out maniacal laughter. “My, my. Poor lamb, which is surely lost within a maze of its own troubled mind. Jack's heart has become filled with amusement and mirth. The thought of the lamb’s ignorance towards its crimes makes Jack feel both pity and frustration towards that foolish lamb, which lies helplessly before Jack.”

Really? You sound like you're striving for a detached sort of well-spoken-ness, and you end up with a robot who doesn't know his grammar very well. If you meant him to sound like a 'bot with bad grammar, 's cool, but if you didn't, fix it up, if y'can.

But back to my main point. Your MC I excuse his blandness, for this's the preface and no character should be expected to develop clearly so soon. But I can't forgive your maniac. I adore maniacs, psychopaths, sociopaths, whatever, and I want this one to be just as good as he can be. So please, try to make him more subtle, a little more... horrible. Because he's really flat and predictable right now, and the one thing I hope maniacs will never be is predictable.

That's pretty much it. Like others have said, I'd also like a little less obvious blood 'n' gore, don't you know. Make it more real by making it more subtle. And good luck, cheri! ^_^

-SELA
Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

--Algernon, The Importance of Being Earnest

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:06 am
Jas says...

MA! I HATE YOU!! For two simple reasons:

1. You are such a better horror writer than me, gosh I'm like a dollar store and your a Walmart. Gosh. Gosh. Who the heck is Gosh anyway?!

2. This has like 30 reviews when my stories jump with glee when they get 1.

Anywho on to the review:

I really liked this. I think that the murder wasn't overboard like some some writers but it wasn't like, Then he stabbed him and the guy died, which in my opinion is dreadfully boring. I liked the description of the little girl living next to the pyschopath. I really like the shepard and lamb thing you have going on, possibly he has a cult-like religious obsession with those who sin? I'm not sure but I like this. Maybe describe him a bit more, like the way his eyes glinted as he struck the knife through the rapists mutilated back or something :) Nice Job, I'm about to read chapter 1.

~Jasmine Bells~
Peace, Love, Writing and Insanity
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
— Albert Einstein