z

Young Writers Society

Old Rose

Random avatar

Reviews: 41
Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:37 pm
Scorpia says...

I used Picasa to crop the original and to warmify it. I'd love some help as far as shadowing and showing layers with pencil--if anyone can help!
Attachments
020.JPG
020.JPG (197.32 KiB) Viewed 241 times
Feel the urge to give some constructive criticism? Why not give it to these stories?

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1298113/Scorpia710

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 pm
Threnody says...

Wow. Over all, as a sketch, this was very beautiful! It truly holds the significance and beauty of a rose.

Although, the bottom petal looks a bit wilted and so you should move it upwards. With it down it gives the rose a bit of a droop.

As far as shadowing goes, first know where your light is coming from. That should give you a pretty clear view of where to shadow. Most of the shadows are going to be towards the center of your rose.

Shading... Okay, what you have is a good start but it looks quite sloppy. Try using the side of your pencil or charcoal or whatever type of media you're using. Make it darker nearer the center and fade out.

The leaves are fine and the stem is quite elegant.

Again, this was quite a spectacular drawing! It's very composure, besides the droopy petal, is bold and beautiful. Good work Scorpia!

Peace, Love and Sugar Packets~
Forever Threnody
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:34 pm
writ3rindisguis3 says...

Well, I can't help you with any shadowing, but I can tell you that it is looking very good. :) If I ever tried to draw anything, I would definitely mess it up. It really is a beautiful flower just as it is! Sorry that I couldn't be of any help to you.

Becca

41 Reviews

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:20 am
Telina says...

I feel handicapped when describing this photo and trying to help because it's so detailed and I can't point at it and show you what I’m talking about ha-ha
I'm assuming you meant to make it look old because of the subject title but it doesn't look that old, you have that one leaf dropping but it doesn't look wilted enough.
I'd suggest having a few of the leaves on the far side taken away, in the front have some more drooping.
I'd even consider extending the drawing so you could see a petal fall, which would be a nice touch - just a suggestion.
Look at a few pictures of wilting flowers and get an idea of how they hold up in the center and on the sides, and just look at the flow of the lines.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:37 am
BobcatPoet says...

SKETCHING! I love this style of drawing, you're an artist with the capabilty I never had. You must continue drawing flowers. This artistic skill makes me HOTTER THAN JULY!
Kendall- The best writer is never done improving his novels.

Random avatar

Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:37 pm
Scorpia says...

Thanks for commenting, and providing those great tips and help!
Feel the urge to give some constructive criticism? Why not give it to these stories?

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:33 pm
Juniper says...

Hey there Scorpia!

This is very good! I wish I could draw as well as this! :twisted:

For shading, all you need to do is darken at the connecting lines (the lines that connect the pieces of rose to eachother-- including veins on the leaves). You sort of had it going on the leave in the back, right, upper corner.

And! Darken the side of the stem, you know? Like fill it in halfway gradiently, like shading half-- going from light to dark.

Am I confusing you? XD

You did an amazing job, though! Gold star!

June
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

Random avatar

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:42 am
Scorpia says...

springrain2693 wrote:Hey there Scorpia!

This is very good! I wish I could draw as well as this! :twisted:

For shading, all you need to do is darken at the connecting lines (the lines that connect the pieces of rose to eachother-- including veins on the leaves). You sort of had it going on the leave in the back, right, upper corner.

And! Darken the side of the stem, you know? Like fill it in halfway gradiently, like shading half-- going from light to dark.

Am I confusing you? XD

You did an amazing job, though! Gold star!

June

Thank you June! Nope, not confused yet, and I'll go practise some shading. :)

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
— Arthur C. Clarke