Young Writers Society

Cerberus

143 Reviews

Reviews: 143
Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:24 am
anti-pop says...

Cerberus! What a cutie :)
I would definitely keep him as a pet.
(Sorry if the quality isn't great...my scanner isn't the best)

So, my younger brother just bought this 'How To Draw Mythical Creatures' art book and I was bored, so I decided to take a shot at it. Just followed the step-by-step instructions.
Quite easy, actually :D
The legs turned out a little wonky, though...

Last edited by anti-pop on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Bitter cold, it grows
changing holds
cynicism the new norm...

-Libretto

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:05 am
Firestar says...

Really Cool!! The back hind legs seem really weak though.
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:56 pm
WaterVyper says...

This looks amazing! I could never hope to draw this well in my entire life! However, the eye of the head on the left looks a little bit strange. It makes it look like the head is yawning. I also loved the way you drew the fur. It makes it look...bristly and stuff. Great work!
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:42 pm
VampireBloodrace says...

Well, I don't know if you changed it or something, but I don't see it! When it becomes visible, i'd love to critique it! :D
Friends are life
Music is life
Love is life
Writing is life
Hate is Death

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:47 pm
Sohini says...

Nice and scary...like the shading.

The aggressive stance is cool too.

So is the snake tail!
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:18 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Wow! That is sooooooo good.

The quality is just fine :)

I really like the snake tail. It's very realistic. I don't remember Cerberus having a snake tail traditionally, though... oh well. It makes him cooler.

Maybe you should shade in the claws a bit more. I can see the lines from when you originally drew his paw. It makes the claws look transparent.

So awesome!
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

247 Reviews

Reviews: 247
Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:51 pm
Searria H. says...

OOO! Dramatic!

The snake is really good, and I don't have anything to say about that.

The back leg that we can see looks sort of disconnected. I would make the thigh go into the stomache a little bit more, or bring the line forward a bit. Does that make sense?

The head on our far left is a little off. It's nose looks diconnected and smaller than the others. Also the snout curves down a little too much, I think. It makes him look sort of rat-like.

The middle head's teeth sort of bother me. The other two have individual teeth (the one closest to us is amazing!) but it just sort of has little jags. Give him the finer teeth, too.
It's right front leg sort of disappears. I think we should see a little tip of its paw behind the other leg. Or maybe a claw, or something.

Other than that, I loved it. You gave a good contrast between the texture of the fur and that of the snake's scales.
And yes, he looks very cuddly! :wink:

-Sea-
'Let's eat Grandma!' or, 'Let's eat, Grandma!' Punctuation saves lives.

Reviews? You know you want one. :)

*Ribbit*

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:50 pm
Incognito says...

Epic.
You are quite right, the legs are a little wonky, but I love the idea of Cerberus. He is one of my favourite mythical creatures. My favourite head is the third from the left. And the snake is just awesome.
The fur/skin could use some more detail.
And the porportions... well I can't critque those because I really don't know how too. :?
Other wise, excellent.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:27 am
Juniper says...

Wow Anti-pop! You did a good job here!!

It could be a bit more detailed, but put that aside, it's good. Cerberus used to be the worst mythical creature to me. I absolutely loathed them. I had nightmares about them. -shudders-

Anyway! A good drawing. What are you NOT good at? o.O You write stories and poetry well, and you draw well. Good, good job.

10/10

Good job Anti! Keep it up!

xxJune
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:18 pm
deathkougra says...

this drawing is way better the anything i could of done but, a predator has a slimmer waist, after you draw the chest the stomach doesn't curve into the hind legs
*sigh*

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:09 am
Livinginfantasy says...

This is pure awesomeness!!!
I love it; especially the tail...very nice.
You mind coloring it in?

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:16 pm
Squall says...

Hey anti-pop.

I really like the ferocious expression of Cerberus. You captured it quite nicely. I think it's because of its teeth and eyes lol. I have a problem with the middle mouth though. It seems unrealistic since the teeths have very similar shapes and forms. Have a look at the third head (furthest to the right). The teeth have more variety in shape and seems more realistically drawn rather than just being triangles (which is what the second mouth's set of teeth were like).

Overall though, really nice.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:11 pm
GryphonFledgling says...

Ooh, I liked the snake's head. Really, that was pretty cool.

His heads look wolf-like (the expressions on them are pure win, my friend), but his body reminds me of a fat cat. I think that's because of the way the waist doesn't suck back in towards the hind legs and is also helped by the claws, which are long, thin and sharp like a cat's, rather than being short and dull like a dog's.

The middle head seems to be a bit disjointed, like it's not actually connected to anything. It sort of looks like it's just floating there. Perhaps a bit of a line underneath it suggesting a neck connecting it to the rest of the body? I guess that's one of the troubles of drawing a multi-headed critter. You've pulled it off well overall.

Very nice. I really, really like all the heads' expressions. Suitably ferocious for the guardian of Hades.

*thumbs up*

~GryphonFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:41 pm
Firestarter says...

This is a really good drawing. I think the far left head's jaw needs some work, though. The head on the right is incredible, though. The snake for a tail is a nice touch.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:09 pm
vox nihili says...

I've got only one criticism: the head in profile view has too round of a mouth. That's it, though. It is so cool! I draw, and now you're making me want to pull out my sketchbook. Very good detailing. ;)
Cheers!
--Voxina

“Sorry about the blood in your mouth. I wish it was mine. I couldn't get the boy to kill me, but I wore his jacket for the longest time.”
— Richard Siken