z

Young Writers Society

Shelter Skelter

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:26 pm
Jennafina says...

I've never really photographed for art before, mostly just so I could remember things. I thought I'd give it a try. If I'm lucky, the images won't be gigantic. :) What do you think?

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Jennafina on Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:13 pm
tinny says...

I like the first one in that I like the path through all the weeds, but it looks kinda grey and dull, though that might be because I always saturate picture loads XD

I love the second one! It looks so swampy, I could see a dinosaur stomping past ^^ There's a bit of interferance from the sun, but i think I like that, makes it look sorta foggy.

Is it okay if I steal the fourth one to use as my background?

I think the fifth one is a bit too grey, most of it is just the one shade of sky, but I like how that contrasts to the little patch of brightness at the back.

The seventh one reminds me of pictures of when a pier not too far from where I live collapsed back in the fifties. It's all rickety and stuff.

Great Pics ^^
Last edited by tinny on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:27 am
Alteran says...

1. I like the board that runs from the bottom of the pic towards the trees. It is what draws your eyes up. The greenry aroujnd it however is very busy and over powers the trees in the back.

2. I really like the blue halo that extends from the sky into the trees. Is that photoshoped or natural? I suggest cropping it down a bit. It is an extremely large photon and makes it hard to see everything at once. A little off the top and bottom will make a lot of diference.

3. This is my fav. It flows great and it's evenly distributed. A great picture.

4. Not ctrazy about this one. It's very random it makes it difficult to follow. There is nothing to pull the eye and nothing really stands out. Plus the clam guts are a bit unpleasent IMO.

5. Really cool. The angle is great and the clouds are the eye puller. they wrap your eyes from the back to the front to the back again. I would have perferred it without the boat sail, but what are ya gonna do?

6. Very nice and balanced. I really like the fog off the top of the trees. The water is very pretty. Almost crystal like from being so calm.

7. Very interesting. I like the white mist like stuff at the top. It adds an eerie effect to the picture and the pier/dock thing is a great center point for the picture.
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

410 Reviews

Reviews: 410
Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:34 pm
Alainna says...

I'm useless when it comes to any form of art so I'll just give my opinion. First off, they are really good!!

I loved the last three. They really caught my attention and the last one made me giggle...

Where were these taken? It looks beautiful!

Alainna
xxxx
Sanity is for the unimaginative.

Got YWS?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:49 pm
Rydia says...

1. It would be better if the board/plank was centered and it's not the most interesting.

2. This one has a good, eerie atmosphere and I like the broken path leading into the distance. It makes me think of the whole 'Don't stray from the path' fairytale image. I certainly wouldn't want to fall into the marshy area.

3. This one is rather surreal. Both mountains and lake in one picture. The depths and the heights of the world. Very nice.

4. This one isn't great. The yellow thing should be more central and to be honest it's not a huge contrast to the rest of the photo.

5. Crop this one a touch. The thing at the right is distracting and can be removed easily. Very good though.

6. Possibly my favourite. The fog gives a really good effect and the boat is in a good position.

7. The pier and the rocks are nice but the rest is a little bland. The moss on the boulder adds a nice touch of colour.

8. Not too fond on this one. It's nothing out of the ordinary and there's too much green.

9. A close up of the person might improve this one but it's not a particularly interesting angle or anything.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:07 pm
Via says...

1: I actually really like this, and prefer it to not be centered.

2: The bottom half is great, but watch the over exposure on the top.

3: Love it. It's perfect with the mountains in the distance.

4: This one is definitely one of my favorites. I love it!

5: This is sideways. I'm assuming you were on a boat, which I know from experience it is ridiculously hard to get straight pictures from. And the sail (I'm assuming) to the right is distracting.

6: It's pretty good. It's not as exciting and colorful as most of the other ones, but it's still a good picture.

7: This one is my absolutely FAVORITE! It's awesome! Love the old pier.

8: This is okay, but it's not my favorite. That said, I have no idea why.

9: Mmm this is too busy I think.

Nice work!
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:10 pm
sabradan says...

Let me start out by saying that for a first attempt, this is very good. Now, on to the critique!

1. While this pic has a lot of interesting individual features, as a whole its not the best. Let me explain: as a photograph just for the sake of photograph, its alright and fine. But as far as ART goes, there is nothing of any intrinsic value. I'm sure you've taken at least ONE art course where they explain to you about composition: use of positive AND negative space, light and dark, shading, horizon, etc. In this photo, there is no negative space to speak of whatsoever, and also no horizon. And, as far as I can tell, there is really no "focal point"--nothing that really draws you're eyes into the piece. Theres that little strip of wood, and thats it, and even that doesn't stand out too much to really draw your eyes in. Its just a mess of green and brown...but it's got potential.

2.This is probably my least favorite of the bunch. First, I just don't like the way the landscape looks. Second, your sky is overexposed, making the ground look underexposed (too dark) and leaving the whole pic feeling "washed out".

3.This is the ideal type of landscape shot to take. The only problem is, due to the nature of the environment, it is a very tricky shot to do well. Due to the fact that you're trying to get very dark ground, then light water, then dark trees and mountains again, all set against a very pale sky it makes it difficult for everything to come out well enough and perfectly exposed. The sky appears to be overexposed, and your focal point needs adjusting a wee bit, but other than that, for a beginner, its VERY good. Probably one of my favorites.

4. This is my favorite of the bunch. I like how while its all one very simple subject matter, a mass of mussels (or are they rocks) there is also a good use of both light and dark, and positive nad negatve space. I also like that there is a focal point to this one. That little green thing in the righthand side. It draws you in, as an anomaly, and you can better appreciate the rest of the photo because of it. Very nicely done.

5.Good composition, but its too dark. Remember your lighting. Remember, a simple rule of thumb for photography is that as air is to life, light is to photography.

6.Veyr nicely done. Nothing really to critique in this one.
7. I also like this one a lot, but due to the dull and dreary nature of it, I think it would be better suited to B/W.

8. This, in my oppinion, is rather blase. Its okay, but a little too dark, and the composition is off a bit. I can't figure out why, but I can just feel that it is.

As for how to improve, I can't really give you many guidelines without knowing what kind of camera you are using, as well as other details such as time of day, directional headings, light sources, etc.

But I will say this: always try to make sure the lighting is good. Also, if you're using an SLR/DSLR try playing around with the aperture settings and f/s settings to see if you get better exposures.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

418 Reviews

Reviews: 418
Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:26 am
electricbluemonkey says...

Is...is that a dead bird in number four?
Gotta a find a woman be good to me,
Who won't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea.

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 am
Jennafina says...

Thanks for the great critiques!

Tinny-- go ahead. ^_^

Adam-- I haven't done any photoshopping. I cropped them, and messed with the saturation a little, but nothing else.

Alainna-- These were taken on an island a little ways from where I live, and on the sail there.

Sab-- Thanks so much for the in-depth review. I really, really appreciate it. I'll try to remember the lighting in the future.

Ebm-- It's a piece of seaweed! But now that you mention it... creepy.

I guess you guys don't like the sail. Better? I took this at the same place, only without it.

And here's 7 in black and white. Teehee, so much prettier.

Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:09 pm
sabradan says...

Told you B/W would be better.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:14 pm
Rydia says...

Ooooh. Much better without the sail. It's so strange and it's literally where sky and sea meet. The foreground is so calm and yet there's such turmoil in the background. It's a great contrast.

Number seven does make a pretty black and white but I prefer it with the colour. I'm not quite sure why.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

I do not use my siblings as the cleaning equipment.
— Tuckster