z

Young Writers Society

Kirsten's art

273 Reviews

Reviews: 273
Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:29 pm
Lost_in_dreamland says...

'kay, I promised a certain someone *coughs* that I would post some art one day, *coughs*
I do not pretend to be good at art. I fail. Epically :lol:

This is just something I did in ten minutes I shall post three times because it's kinda hard to see on the scanner, so mum adjusted the contrast and bla...

So... enjoy, or... don't. Y'no

xD
Attachments
girl.jpg
It looks MUCH better actually holding it. xD
girl.jpg (147.85 KiB) Viewed 340 times
for what are we without words and stories?

273 Reviews

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:32 pm

Eeeeeeek, looks really bad there >.<
Attachments
girl1.jpg
kinda like the first, think you not?
girl1.jpg (301.19 KiB) Viewed 340 times

273 Reviews

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm

The lines are extremely faint on these, so that may be why they seem so bad, or it may be/ probably will be, my lack of talent :lol:
Anyway, third of three, this is either the one that is the easiest to see, or the one that is the hardest, I can't remember which :lol:
Attachments
girl 3 -  contrast changedd.jpg
She's not really as ugly as this picture makes out :D
girl 3 - contrast changedd.jpg (355.34 KiB) Viewed 338 times

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:16 pm
Monki says...

*ponders for a moment*

I will begin by stating that I've really never critiqued in the section before; the Art & Photography section. But, this is so much better than anything I've ever drawn. I doodle. That's it. I doodle in the margins. xD

Okay, so obviously it's kind of hard to get the full effect being that the pictures are so large, but I did it. :)

The face structure is phenomenal. You can see the structure of the face perfectly, even though it's drawn from the side.

The only thing that really, really bother me is... the lips. lol. Don't get me wrong, the way you drew them is fine, but it's just... the way you shaded it makes them have a weird look to them that takes away from the rest of the drawing.

Maybe it's just me?

Besides that, everything looks good. :D

-Monki
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

273 Reviews

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks, Monki :D
Yeah, I have problems when it comes to the shading of lips, it doesn't matter though, this was only a sketchy practise thing, nothing of any worth. I'm looking for reviews on it so I know what to improve and such.

Doodles in the margins?
Well, they always rock, doodling in margins = epic win *nods*

xD

~Kirsten
xxx

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 pm
CastlesInTheSky says...

Lawl. -bows- I take full credit for the nagging, if it's going to produce work like this. :wink:
As Monki said, the facial structure is stunning. Even though it's understated, particularly because of the faintness of the lines and image - which isn't your fault anyway - you can really see it clearly; the shape of her cheekbones, the height of her forehead. It's really wonderful.
What I absolutely love about this drawing is that the girl depicted in it isn't completely, ultimately drop-dead gorgeous. She is beautiful, yes, but she has her flaws. Not all her features are smooth and perfect, her hair isn't pristine, she isn't even simpering or preening, her mouth is in more of a curl than anything else, like she's sullen or somewhat angry at the world. I love that because it tells you so much about this imaginary person, it's like a story. In this instance, the saying which I hate so much due to...bias (A picture tells a thousand words) is completely true.

So yeah. I'm done gushing. xD You did great.

-Sarah
Had I the heavens embroider'd cloths,
I would spread the cloths under your feet.
But I being poor, have only my dreams,
So tread softly, for you tread on my life.

273 Reviews

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:46 pm

Thankeeee, Sarah.

You rock ;)

xxx

537 Reviews

Reviews: 537
Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:31 pm
Evi says...

This is, as is everything in the Art section here on YWS, a thousand times better than anything I draw. Ever. I'm artistically challenged, you know. It's so bad, it's almost a medical condition.

But, to talk about the drawing!

The only flaw that I thought was glaring was the lips, as Monki. They look...no offense, please...hairy. Or furry, or something along those lines. I suggest perhaps erasing the shading completely and outlining the actual shape (if it's in pencil) or just making them lighter. Otherwise, I thought it was beautiful.

I agree with Sarah about how it's so nice that she's not a goddess or anything. She's not smiling, either, which bothered me at first, but after looking at it, I've come to appreciate it more. It shows humanity. So, keep it.

It was wonderful. Keep up the good work.

~Evi
"Let's eat, Grandma!" as opposed to "Let's eat Grandma!": punctuation saves lives.

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:04 pm
Tabithalillian says...

the eyes were amazing. I think I am going to practice on my eye skills while looking at yours. you got the proportions spot on and the nose was really great too. I usually have to work on the nose forever before I get it even semi ok. The only thing I noticed (and yes, every one else has pointed this out) the lips were a bit puffy and shaded so they looked off and didnt really match up with the rest of the head. but great eyes and facial shape.
Living in a tower

Reviews: 4
Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:06 am
Lunatical says...

Oooh, that's lovely! I like the style of it, not really detailed but it looks very natural and the proportions are exellent. That's a big problem I have with drawing, I can never place things quite right. Darn you good artists!
I love love love the eye and how the nose is just a bit bumpy. I think it's much more interesting when you can see people's flaws. And honestly the mouth doesn't bother me. It's not the best part of the drawing, but at least it you can tell what it is, which is more than I can say about most of my pictures.
So, yeah, very good job. :D

273 Reviews

Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:39 am

wow, thanks everyone. xD
The lips need serious work, but I'm just going to leave them, so once I've drawn more I can see how I've improved, etc etc.

Thanks for all the advice. You all rock ;)

Perhaps I shall post some more pictures later today :)

xoxo

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:25 am
Juniper says...

I wasn't wrong, see!?

It's slightly too big to see in some places, but overall it's good :D. I like how you did the nose :D. I think it's the best part on here.

(No, this isn't much of a review, I just wanted to comment on this like I said I would xD)

June

Keep it up! And if you dare say something negative about it again, I shall slap you with a wet fish!
"I'd steal somebody's purse if I could google it and then download it." -- Firestarter

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:42 pm
Ina_in_boots says...

I really how the eyes express a sort of sadness.
Drawing someone from the side is always tricky because the shadows hit much differently.
I must say you did a good job though!
You should look into using charcoal next time you draw. It helps a lot when drawing shadows.

Ciao
--Bo_0ts

273 Reviews

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:27 pm

June:

I am rather scared of that wet fish :shock:
seriously.
Nonetheless I must object :D

I think it is terrible. xD

Just had to say something to defy you, for the fun of it ;)

xxx

273 Reviews

Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:28 pm

Boots:

I don't think it's good, rather the opposite :lol: but lots of people seem to like it >.< Perhaps I shall post some more art then... *muses*

Thanks for the review ;)

xxxxxxx

Just because you don't feel like a hero in your own story, doesn't mean you're not a hero in someone else's.
— Tenyo