z

Young Writers Society

Whipillumine - Profile

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:39 am
shiney1 says...

Spoiler! :
I put it in the Other Category since all written profile and drawing is up to look at. This is my entry for the Artist Arena Contest on YWS for this month's theme, Under the Sea.

Name: Whipillumine (brilliant light)
Class: Assault (defensive and offensive)
Height: 6.5-8 feet
Length: 11-13 feet
Diet: Piscivore
Domestication Status: Rare

Whipillumine's long slender body and it's frills make it a dragon that is easy to recognize. Males are usually more detailed in design, and sometimes have a splash of red or orange, although most Whipillumines of both genders are just black and white. Males have a crest on their heads that they flare to ward off enemies and attract mates. These frills also create the affect of a bright light bouncing off of the ocean's surface when titled at the right angle, and can even cause blindness if directly looked at.

Habitat
Whipillumines live in warm freshwater oceans, which are not that common. They hardly venture into shallow waters due to their large size and the fact that most of their prey live in the deep.

Behavior
Whipillumine is a very fast and swimmer, and uses its tail like a rudder to propel itself. They can read up to 178 miles per hour. Its eyesight is a spot above average and it's sense of smell is keen. It is not a territorial dragon, but about half of the time it will attack if it senses a threatening or unfamiliar presence.

Social
Whipillumines are solitary, and only come together during mating season. The males mate with a female, and stay with the female and the offspring for ten years. Afterwards the male heads off and returns the next mating season to search for another mate.

Taming
Whipillumines are not widely tamed due to their habitat, somewhat aggressive behavior, and their size. Those who have successfully tamed one gain smoother skin with not bodily hair except for that on the head, and gills form on the neck. Their bodies also become more sleek and many times take on a white or black tome to blend in with their dragon.
Whipillumines are useful in underwater battle, but lose the advantage in the sky.

Potentially Dangerous, Use Caution

This drawing took me about 1 week.

Tool:
Mechanical Pencil with cheap lead :/

Dragon species and design by shiney1

PLEASE DO NOT USE
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:01 pm
annaseale1998 says...

Whoa. Seriously, this is good. I prefer it to your drawing, Cholerparagon. This one is so much more original, because it's almost like you've invented a whole other species (not like a dragon, I mean). I love how, on the slender body, you've put small dots on the end of the stripes. It's just a small thing, but I think it makes the dragon a lot more water based. I also love how you say 'Potentially Dangerous, Use Caution' at the end. It makes the creature so much more real. The curved lines on the body and the flowing tails remind me of a beautiful mermaid. I wouldn't be surprised if you won the contest xD

Just a quick thing: You say 'with not bodily hair'. Shouldn't it be 'with no bodily hair'?
-Anna
Last edited by annaseale1998 on Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For whether a place is a hell or a heaven rests in yourself, and those who go with courage and an open mind may find themselves in Paradise." - Eva Ibbotson (Journey to the River Sea)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:13 pm
Napier says...

This is beautifully surreal. I love the slender shape, and how it curves and flows- you can just tell how this creature would move if it existed. The lines and inking are gorgeous, especially regarding the small details such as the stripes and the frills; you've got such a great steady hand at this.

I would like to see it coloured, preferably in photoshop because I'm sure you know how much coloured pencils can ruin ink drawings, but as a black and white image, it's perfect.

Awesome job!
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:30 am
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

This is one of my favorites of yours. The whole drawing just looks really smooth. And I really like how this is something a little different than your usual dragon drawings. The shape of the head is different than a dragons and really unique. The tail is really really good too. I love the dot-line pattern on its body. I'm not sure if it they are the creature's natural markings, or the shape of the skin/scales but I like it.
The only thing I'm not sure about is the nose, or hammerhead shark looking thing on its face. It looks good, but I don't think you mentioned what it was in your description.
Still think coloring would be a good idea, but I know you don't like to do it. It looks like you scan your drawings rather than take a picture and upload it, so do you think it would be possible to print off a copy of your drawing and then color that one? So there would be no need to worry about making mistakes, since it was just a copy of the original. Only an idea, but one reason why I like to color digitally and won't do it by hand is because I don't want to mess up my sketch, and there's no 'undo' button for real paint. x)
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

Everything’s edible if you’re immortal.
— Feltrix