Total Word Count of Story

Favorite out of context quote for the day:

I nodded. "Yep. Okay. Sounds good. Bye. Have a day."

Favorite excerpt of the day:

Spoiler! :
I opened the door. "Agent Abbott?"

"Cass?" asked Ames, his face lighting up. "To what do I owe the pleasure."

I swallowed. "An irregularity. A bad one."

"Well they happen to the best of us," he said, gesturing for her to come in. "Come on, take a seat, please. Don't stand there in the doorway."

I moved into his office, my hands pratically shaking. What if I had done something wrong? What if I accidentally led Sophia to a Go Portal and the universe had just saved me from making everything monumentally worse?

"Look at you, you're shaking like a leaf," he said, getting up from his seat. "Come on. Come on. Sit down. Let's talk about this. I highly doubt my best agent could've done anything to be that worried."

I sat down, crossing my arms. "Sorry, sorry."

He came up behind me, putting an arm on my shoulder. "Deep breaths, Cass. Deep breaths."

I followed his directions, forcing myself to just think about breathing.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

Catchphrase loading. Please Wait...

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:12 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

Wow!! You both are doing awesome with NaNo! I find it so fun that you're writing together! Good luck for the rest of the month!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

4103 Reviews

Reviews: 4103
Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:56 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Thank you @JustPerks ! Good luck to you too!!
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

Hello! You? Yes you reading this. Have a nice day because you're wonderful and you deserve it!

4103 Reviews

Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:59 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Day 10

Daily Word Count

1,731/1,410

Remaining Word Count for Target

Lap-sitting was not in a G.A.I.I Agent's protocol.

Spoiler! :
Oh. Sit. I blinked. Sit in your lap?

Sophia nodded, now looking down. If. If you want only. I. Just. Train. Taxi. Comfort. Need.

My face burned, and I'm sure it was at least bright red. Oh. Okay. Okay. I can. Okay. I stepped closer, not sure how to proceed. Lap-sitting was not in a G.A.I.I Agent's protocol.

Sophia let go of my arm, opening up her arms, and scooting back a little bit more.

I gently sat on Sophia's knees, pushing myself a little further back. I didn't want to scoot back too far. My face was darker now.

Sophia's hands carefully wrapped around me, pulling me a little bit closer as she buried her face in my shoulder. She was shaking ever so slightly.

I took a deep breath and a risk, gently moving back until my back rested against Sophia's chest.

Sophia's breathing became a little slower at that, her hands pulling just a little bit tighter around me.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

4103 Reviews

Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:11 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Day 11

Daily Word Count

1,695/1,394

Just afraid that door is going to start running like the floor did earlier

Spoiler! :
Sophia became unglued to the side of the platform, leaning away from it, although her hands didn't seem to have any intention of moving just yet.

I didn't say anything, just leaned against Sophia. Sophia didn't make any attempt to move.

I giggled. Sophia. People need to use the platform.

Sophia's face went slightly pink as she nodded. Sorry. Wasn't sure if this was the right door. You. Will. Will you lead the way? Please. She still didn't show any sign of letting go of me.

I nodded. Of course.

Sophia carefully walked towards the door, me still held in her arms. She stopped with a couple of feet to go. Yet again there was no indication she was going to let me go.

I giggled. What are you doing, silly?

Getting you closer to the door so you can go through first. Sophia seemed very confident in her answer.

But you're still holding me. I giggled harder.

Sophia frowned. And? She pouted slightly. Why are you laughing at me? I can see you.

Sorry, sorry. I put a hand over my mouth to stop laughing. It didn't work. How am I going to walk forward if you're still holding me?

Sophia's eyes widened. Sorry. I. I didn't think about that. I. Just afraid that door is going to start running like the floor did earlier.

I shook my head. The door won't run away. Agent's honor.

Sophia nodded. Okay. She didn't look completely convinced but she released her hold on me, still hovering closeby but no longer caging me in with her arms.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:14 am
View Likes
WeepingWisteria says...

Ahh, just saw this, but thank you, @JustPerks! We're having a lot of fun too.
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

4103 Reviews

Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:15 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Day 12

Daily Word Count

5,714/1,378

"You should see the one who did this. He won't be walking straight for the next fortnight."

Spoiler! :
Janice had managed to stop Cassia's pacing again. But Cassia just gave us one of those half smiles. I'm fine, really. Don't worry about me. Keep warm.

As your secretary, worrying about you is my actual job. Janice rather carefully pulled Cassia into her arms. I glanced back to Cricket again, wondering if the crazy idea I had in my head was visible enough for them to see and approve of.

But Cricket wasn't there anymore. They were quickly approaching Cassia and stopping beside her. They gently put a hand on her shoulder. They looked back at me and gestured with their head for me to join.

I didn't wait for a second invitation, giving into the instinct that had been simmering in my head for a while now. I slotted in between the two, wrapping my hands carefully around Cassia. Remembering Cassia's trick from that terrifying carriage ride, I carefully tapped out a message on her back.

"W.e. a.r.e. k.e.e.p.i.n.g. w.a.r.m. n.o.w."

Cassia's shoulders started shaking, but I couldn't tell if it was from tears or laughter. I felt Cassia's hand on my back. "I.m. j.u.s.t. k.e.e.p.i.n.g. y.o.u. s.a.f.e. P.l.e.a.s.e. d.o.n.t. b.e. m.a.d. a.t. m.e."

I squeezed her gently, burying my face carefully in her hair so I didn't end up doing something silly like crying. "T.h.a.n.k. y.o.u. I. j.u.s.t. m.i.s.s. y.o.u.r. b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l. s.m.i.l.e. N.o.t. M.a.d. W.o.r.r.i.e.d."

Cassia went rigid, producing a sound that was just adorable, even with how muffled it was. Janice rumbled with laughter.

I couldn't help but smile into Cassia's hair. I wasn't entirely sure what had caused this reaction from both of them but I liked it. I burrowed a little deeper into Cassia's hair, pulling her closer.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

4103 Reviews

Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:02 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Day 13

Daily Word Count

2,912/1,137

I'm afraid this cave is closed for the day. Better luck next time.

Spoiler! :
A voice blasted through the cave from somewhere oustide. "I swear. When I get my hands on you, you're going to be very sorry, child. I tell you to stay in one place so we can explore this lead together and you run off into the middle of the Icelandic Wilderness with absolutely no warning, not even a bloody note. What where you thinking?" A figure, much taller than the one threatening us and absolutely covered head to toe in clothes appeared in the mouth of the cave.

"There you are. I'm going to strangle..."

The would be murderer had a look that said quite clearly "Are you kidding me?" as they pointed their battleaxe in my direction.

"Ohhh. Ohhh. Ohhh. You. Found. Dang it."

I looked between the two of them. "Really? She hired two?" I groaned, covering my face. "I am going to kill her!"

"She hired one bounty hunter," said the newcomer. "This thing was clearly some sort of afterthought."

The one with the battleaxe turned to them. "Really? In front of the target?"

"Facts are to be stated at all times of the day."

"She's not going to surrender if you burst in here, acting like I'm incompetent!"

"Well she's not going to surrender if you're being incompetent and disobeying simple rules."

"Rules?" The battleaxe bearer scoffed. "You're not my boss! You're barely my partner!"

"The rules of nature. One doesn't leave the person that you're hired with behind to go off on some crazy hunch without a note. You broke that. I will have my compensation for it or so help me I will strangle you."

"Strangle me? I would like to see you try, LED face!"

"At least try if you're going to insult me, child."
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

4103 Reviews

Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:01 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Day 14

Daily Word Count

3,071/1,033

Let's not get distracted, lavenders. Come along.

Spoiler! :
Janice sighed. Trust me, dear. I'm perfectly fine. Cricket proceeded to raise an eyebrow, crossing their arms.

Sophia nodded, releasing me and getting up to wander over to Janice. You said you're fine, but you never said you weren't injured. Please show us, so we can see if we need to find first aid. Sophia put on a full strength pout as she kneeled down next to her.

Janice sighed. Only for you three. She pulled up her shirt to review a dark blue bruise blooming on her side across her light brown skin. Not that bad. I barely feel it, really. She dropped her shirt.

Sophia carefully put a hand on Janice's side. Sorry again for freezing. All I could think about was getting Cassia out of there. She carefully gave Janice a hug from her uninjured side. You're the absolute best secretary out there. I have no idea what exactly a secretary is meant to do, but I feel like you do a lot more than you're supposed to.

Janice hugged Sophia back. They both looked so happy together.

That stubborn thought surfaced again. Were they as happy with me?

I swallowed, taking stock of the situation. Two people were hunting after me. They hurt Janice twice. They terrified Sophia. They were unsafe. It was my job to do something about it.

I cleared my throat, waving to get everyone's attention.

Sophia looked up from her nest in Janice's neck.

There's only one possible long term solution. I took a deep breath. Even saying it was hard. Janice, you're hurt. Sophia, I can't let you stay in danger. And Cricket, I know you're acting tough but I can't let you get hurt.

I shrugged, trying to act nonchalant. I need to turn myself in. They want me. They'll leave you alone if they get me.

Before I could finish the final sign, Sophia had me on her lap, held tightly in her arms. Cricket had a look on their face that said quite clearly, "Have you lost your complete mind?"

Janice kneeled in front of me. You must have hit your head in the cave if you think for a single second that we would let that happen.

I shook my head. It's what's going to keep everyone safe. Nothing else matters.

Sophia shook her head from behind me. She didn't loosen her grip in the slightest, instead tapping out the morse code for No repeatedly on my shoulder using her nose.

I sighed. Look-

No. There's nothing to discuss. You aren't turning yourself in. End of story.

I growled. And what happens if one of us gets hurt? Or worse? My mother has an army, Janice. She will set the very sky on fire if that meant smoking me out. I shook my head. I was stupid for thinking we could run. Stupid, stupid-

We chose to be by your side. You can't say otherwise. Cricket had arguably the most emotion I'd seen on their face in the past year.

Sophia's grip on me somehow managed to get tighter.

I looked between Janice and Cricket before sighing. Fine. I won't. For now. If that becomes the clear option, and someone is going to get seriously hurt, none of you have a say.

Sophia shivered in her position. She removed one hand, still holding onto me tightly with the other.

No. Please don't do that. I. Do you. Do you think we won't be just as seriously hurt by you doing that?

My mother won't kill me, but she'll tear you to pieces.

You leaving to be subjected to that horror will tear us to pieces anyway. Sophia patted my chest, just above my heart. Right there.

Any of you getting hurt because of my problems will be the worst horror.

So we try our best so that none of that has to happen. And we don't talk about horrors like this. Sophia returned to holding me with both hands, her head nestled carefully in my shoulder.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:57 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Happy halfway point!! You guys are crushing it!! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:15 am
WeepingWisteria says...

Thank you so much!!!
She/They/Fae

“the wist i knew would never allow a straight boy in their stories” ~Omni
“Hi Omni can I request wist get the role mom friend :]" ~winter
“ah yes, fear Wist's smile :) <- speaks of layers and layers of secrets” ~mint

4103 Reviews

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:16 am
KateHardy says...

Thank youuu @Carlito
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

4103 Reviews

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:17 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Day 15

Daily Word Count

633/906

None

Spoiler! :
Just didn't write enough that day unfortunately.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

4103 Reviews

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:20 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Day 16

Daily Word Count

2,433/924

I felt like my melt was braining out of my ears.

And another quote because today was just gold:

I'm fine. Perfectly fine. So much fine it's falling out of my pockets.

Spoiler! :
I spluttered, going entirely limp. Death. Dying. Been abandoned. Ruthless.

Sophia cradled me carefully, making sure I didn't slip out of her grip. Fine. If you really want to know, I'll tell you.

I nodded. Yes! Yes I want to know.

I didn't want to let go of you. Sophia looked away.

I squeaked, my eyes blowing wide.

Sophia turned back towards me, looking fascinated all of a sudden. Hey you made that noise again.

I blinked. Noise? What noise? What's a noise? I giggled nervously.

Sophia shrugged. I'm not sure. Its all... Sophia waved her hands around in patterns that made no sense at all. And its soft and adorable like you. And I like hearing it.

I squeaked again, my face exploding with heat. What? Huh? No. What?

That sound. Exactly. I like it. Much better than most other noises. Sophia smiled like she was letting me in on a secret of the universe. Like I said. Soft and adorable. Perfect for you.

I felt like my melt was braining out of my ears. Brain melting out of my ears? I don't know, but I was dying. Painful death. Couldn't breathe.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

4103 Reviews

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:08 am
View Likes
KateHardy says...

Day 17

Daily Word Count

1,882/816

We'll see what other parts of my fear you find cute.

Spoiler! :
None Today Unfortunately.
Stay Safe
The Princess of Darkness

We always talk about the "doers" and "dreamers" but I'd like to give a big shoutout to the "tryers".
— Hannah Hart