[NaNo 2021] A Swan´s Tale

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:29 am
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

A Swan´s Tale

(Working title)

I´m too late for my thread. *intensive panic* Not really. So, here´s my project. I actually finished this story already around 2014 but I never got to rewrite and correct it, so I take it now, to rewrite the story in English after doing some preparation about the plot, leaving some stuff out and recreating the characters to make them more realistic.

So let´s get started. Oh, and here is a link to my PlanMo Journal 2021

Synopsis

After the country called Sagauvela faces a political upheaval after the war and the old chancellor has fled underground; in his last hope he sends four letters to four children who are to fulfil a task for him. This task for the children leads them through a land of change, into a world of danger and adventure to a point where they finally understand what the real reason for the mission is. Their long journey takes them across the country, to the former Domain families, always in the shadow of the new calamity spreading through the land.

Main characters

Stefanie Schwanenfluss

The daughter of the mayor of a small village in the mountains. The fourteen-year-old loves the mountains and nature and is the most naive of the four selected children. She takes the task very seriously and yet always with the necessary humour and optimism that reflects her sanguine character well.

Richard Amselweber

Richard is the third oldest of his siblings and, like the others in the household, helps to maintain the farm, whose main customer is a spa hotel in the nearby village. Richard is the second child to be chosen, the oldest of them and also the child with the most questions about the task. His phlegmatic attitude often gets in the way, so it was his sister Sophie who ultimately convinces him to go on the trip.

Klaus Eisvogel - Wind

Son of a professor at a university, it seems that Klaus' life was already destined to follow in his father's footsteps. But the choleric Klaus, always at odds with him, takes the letter seriously and in the process also wants to fulfil his dream of becoming a master baker. As the second youngest of the group of chosen ones, he is the one of all who brings the most knowledge with him, partly by choice and partly forced by his father.

Janice Kranichhauch

Janice, at sixteen, is the second oldest and the quietest. Her sometimes very melancholic attitude never takes her further than her village, where she lives with the priest after her father was imprisoned after the war and her mother died. It is thanks to the priest who helps her to take the letter seriously and complete the task. Her sharp head also helps her to see not only the danger in all situations, but also a way to get around it.

Stanley Glocken

Stanley is in the middle of life. Shortly before the wedding and as a journalist for the biggest daily newspaper, he loses his job and has to be pushed into second place after his fiancée's father becomes terminally ill. This gives Stanley the time to search for where he wants to go in life. At least until a woman named Valerie enters his life.

Penelope von Eulenburg

Penelope is the granddaughter of the old chancellor and comes to the Swan River family through fateful circumstances. Penelope, who would like to go on the journey with the other children, is only just able to convince her grandfather to go along and with her personality helps to keep the group on the right path at all times.

Hilda Schwanenfluss

Hilda, the tomboy and Stefanie's younger sister, sneaks in to join the journey. Much to Stefanie's dismay, she accompanies the group from now on and is always in the background with Penelope when it comes to the important decisions, but in the forefront when it comes to deciding the path.

Goal

My goal is to write at least 50.000 words or until the part where the main character are all introduced.
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

1232 Reviews

Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:38 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Progress so far:

WEEK 1

1875 words (Book I, Part I, Chapter 1: The Leaves of the Past 1)
Spoiler! :
The first chapter, where we meet Stanley. He finally moves out of his parent's house and says goodbye to his sister. However, when he goes to the attic to look for the money his father gave him when he turned 18 to finance his future wedding, he realises that only 3,000 of the former 10,000 Kronen are still there. His intuition tells him that his brother stole it when he left the "family" the previous year.

3637 words (Book I, Part I, Chapter 1: The Leaves of the Past 2, Chapter 2: Falling Apart 1)

I was full of motivation this morning, but don't think there will be much tomorrow. I still have to find a nice restaurant for Stanley and Eleonora for the evening... hm...

A part I like:
Spoiler! :
"You don't think I'm going to let you blackmail me."
"I'm not blackmailing you," Stanley quickly interjected, "I thought...well, didn't you take the money?"
Simon elegantly blew smoke in Stanley's face.
"What makes you think I could have taken your money? I am your own brother. Your suspicions are so absurd I can't even laugh at them. Don't you think Marie or Johann took it?"
Stanley averted his eyes from him.
"Obviously you took it. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to celebrate your wedding so pompously. Father hadn't given you much because of... because of what happened.”
"You don't have to be so harsh, my brother," Simon said aloud, standing in front of him, "There's no point getting worked up over money you don't have, is there? Be realistic and consult someone other than me first."
"I'm not harsh!"
"Stanley, I don't like how you come crawling to me after two years, begging me for money. What's the matter with you? Can't you ask father for it or ask your boss for a raise?"

1350 words (Book I, Part I, Chapter 2: Falling Apart 2)

I've now finished the second chapter and haven't found a nice restaurant yet... Maybe I'll find something. But it also gave me thoughts, since Part II is coming up, to insert a Part I.5. where I already have some things planned.

1602 words (Book I, Part I, Chapter 3: Eleonora and Stanley)

I have now finished writing the first part and I am glad that there is the internet, where I have now found a nice restaurant to finish Stanley's performance now. It now looks here as if he is going to move in with his fiancée to her father's house and is still hiding the fact that he has lost his job.

1346 words (Book I, Part II, Chapter 1: The old man 1)

I´m not so happy with this part yet, but since it´s just a draft, there´s still hope to change things up, when I´m a bit farther into the story.

Spoiler! :
He made himself ridiculous with his excuses and his unrealistic assumption that there was nothing left in his life that could surprise him.
A quote he had read in a book years ago just ran through his mind. In captivity one is safe and defenceless at the same time, it says. He was just wondering how much freedom was worth. Those who knew nothing but the bars outside their window saw it as their freedom. He who grew up on the invisible chains of a contract without knowing what kept him alive was equally in captivity, or else free?
The old man thought about it too long, did he not suspect that he had actually already passed his goal. He was no longer allowed to surrender to the truth; he had to flee. The capital was no longer safe. The letters, kept in his suitcase, were the best proof. He bit his lower lip as he thought of the poor girl. It gave him little comfort to tell himself that he could never have seen her. Now reality had emerged from the subjunctive.

3280 words (Book I, Part II, Chapter 1: The old man 2, Chapter 2: The Ball near the Birch)

It actually gets harder to write with each passing day. I'm not used to it at all, but at the same time it's exciting to write so spontaneously and only know where the beginning and end are. What lies in between is still a secret, so every day it's like unwrapping a present.

The beginning of Chapter 2:
Spoiler! :
The charismatic girl was playing with a ball under a birch tree.
All alone in the middle of a small town. The desolate houses, around this birch tree, were old and uninhabited. Boards hung in front of doors and windows. There had been no shops there for several years.
The ball bounced from the tree back to the girl and she threw it against the white trunk again.
It was raining a little and yet she didn't mind. Rather, she became more euphoric when the rain fell, because there was no one to meet her on the road.
The small meadow around the tree was barren and had more weeds than grass. Even that did not bother the girl. She loved the weeds because they were wild weeds and not pests as she claimed. She was the only person in this small town who liked the weeds. She was also the only girl in this small town who liked the rain.

1562 words (Book I, Part II, Chapter 3: Terminus

This concludes the second part, where we met Stanley Glocken and Penelope von Eulenburg. Stanley is now travelling with his fiancée to her father and Penelope has just been kidnapped. The next part finally introduces Stefanie, one of the four "main" main characters.

Total Word Count: 14.652 / 50.000

1232 Reviews

Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:11 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

Week Two! :D
(Book I, Part III, Chapter 1: The Sanguine Child 1)

Yeah, I couldn´t write more today, so I stopped by 713 words. It´s Monday after all.

I actually liked writing on the train and while I was doing my research a bit about the story, I found out how old telephones work with the dials. Not that I need to, but maybe one of my characters will feel like making a phone call sometime. :D

This part doesn't really have anything significant about it, it's the prologue to introduce Stefanie spending a day with her sister. Since the narrative has the upper hand here, more attention is paid to the dialogue in Part II.

(Total:15.365 / 50.000 words)

1232 Reviews

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:04 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

New day, new achievement!

(Book I, Part III, Chapter 1: The Sanguine Child 2, Chapter 2: The accident)
3723 words

Some see it as something negative and others gain from the situation! The train was late, so I could still write something and I'm in the middle of these sibling quarrels and banter between Stefanie and Hilda! :D

Spoiler! :
"Wake up Hilda!"
Stefanie had stormed into her sister's bedroom to kick the late riser out of bed. Sullenly, she mumbled something into her pillow and hid under the covers. In one move, her older sister had pulled it off her and ran out of the room with it.
"Mum! Stefanie is bugging me!" cried Hilda frantically and ran after her.
"You're supposed to get up and get ready for the drive!" returned Stefanie with a laugh, "We let you sleep longer, so don't grumble!"
Hilda chased her to her room and with little effort managed to snatch the blanket from Stefanie.
"You stupid nut!" she commented afterwards, "Just because you always have to be up so early!"

(Total: 19.088/50.000 words)

1232 Reviews

Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:17 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

(Book I, Part III, Chapter 3: The kidnapped girl)
1286 words

It was a stressful day and I think this short chapter is more of a filler to tie up the relationship between Stefanie and Penelope. I also took the liberty in this chapter to introduce some villagers who are as curious as they are helpful in taking the kidnapped girl in, with the priest ultimately deciding to take her in until the police can search for a family member. I'm not happy with the structure at the moment and think I'll revise that once I get around to proofreading.

Total: 20.374 / 50.000 words

1232 Reviews

Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:18 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 11th

(Book I, Part III, Chapter 4: Delay)
1346 words

Another more filler chapter where we briefly take a look at Stanley and the conflict he carries. He is on the train with his fiancée to visit her father and Stanley realises that he still hasn't confessed to her that he has lost his job.

A short excerpt of the story:
Spoiler! :
"Sometimes the best ideas are the ones where you don't think much," his fiancée said with a smile.
"It's not for work." he returned, closing the notebook.
"I didn't say it was for work either," she spoke, "Haven't you ever thought about writing a story?"
Stanley avoided her gaze.
"You can't make a living as a writer."
"That's what you think. But father always says anyone can write."
"Your father works as a hotelier. So he has new faces and stories in front of him every day."
"Don't you want to be a writer? What do you write about all the time after work?"
"Nothing in particular."
"A story after all!"
Stanley grinned.
"Just something short."

Total: 22.080/50.000 words

1232 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:54 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 12th

(Book I, Part III, Chapter 5: The truth)
2133 words

It's been a very stressful week at work but I'm glad I can use the time on the train to write and focus on other things a bit. I'm happy with the pace of the story at the moment, but at the same time I feel that there's still a lot that feels very unpolished. In any case, I'll save some notes for when I revise it.... probably in the second half of 2022.

Excerpt of the story:
Spoiler! :
He sat down and told what he had heard in Kuckuckshausen.
The deeper the story went, the more Heinrich began to tremble. They were indeed dealing with a kidnapping. These two men had been hired by someone to kidnap the granddaughter of the former chancellor in order to blackmail him. In the process, and the priest told them this in horror, the kidnappers did not even know whether Albert von Eulenburg was still alive. They said he was in the capital, but the fact that the address could not be found also proved that the telegram had not received a reply. Moreover, and this was the most frightening news for the priest when he asked the guard where the chancellor might be, he was being investigated for arson. There was evidence that he had been responsible for the fire in the Imperial Palace. If he were found, he would be arrested immediately.
"What should we tell the girl?" asked Kaup in conclusion.
Heinrich fixed his gaze out of the window and saw new rain falling towards the ground.
"What are you going to tell her?" he returned without averting his gaze.
"I... I don't know."
"We can't delay the truth. We can't lie to her."
"She won't be able to take it!"
"The truth is the worst lie. We can't destroy it because it's just there. I will break the news to her. But not today. Tomorrow. Tomorrow, not today..."

Total:24.213 / 50.000

1232 Reviews

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:32 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 13th

(Book I, Part III, Chapter 6: Stefanie and Penelope; Chapter 7: The letter)
2592 words

A little more we finally see Stefanie and Penelope's relationship and they become friends. A more active chapter than the previous ones and I was finally able to find a way for Stefanie to receive a letter; the first of four to the chosen children. I'm still not entirely happy with how she reacts to it, but I'm satisfied that I've reached that point now. I'm also starting to get a sense that the story will get an estimated 300,000 words, as the plan is to have introduced the four main characters by the end of NaNo, so the introduction is done for now.

Excerpt of the story:
Spoiler! :
Hidden beneath the signature, in a tiny scrawl, was yet another address from Falkentropfenstadt. Stefanie was surprised and confused and at first thought it was a prank. Did she immediately think it could even be from Mr Kaup, as he was always talking in mysteries when it was time to tell people about the Goddess.
"I am speechless…" Stefanie acknowledged and read him through again.
"This seems very implausible." Penelope said nervously, "What are you going to do?"
Stefanie looked at Penelope.
"I don't know. The letter is shrouded in mystery. It's a bit much for now."
"I'd throw it away. I'm sure it's a trap!"
"You really think so?"
"Yes. I'm sure of it. There's someone trying to meet you. What if it's someone who wants to kidnap you?"
"Do you think it could be related to you?" asked Stefanie worriedly.
"I don’t… I don't know who to trust, but the letter is already bold. It seems like someone is scared and wants to panic."
From the house, Hilda shouted for the two of them, disturbing their peace.
"Please don't tell her about it," Stefanie pleaded, "Otherwise everyone in the village will know what I've got by lunchtime today."
"Understood."

Total:26.805 / 50.000 words

1232 Reviews

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:32 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 14th

(Book I, Part III, Chapter 9: To the sender)

2285 words

A new burst of speed enables Stefanie and Penelope (under the pretext of visiting the Maiden's Well at close range on New Year's Day, the holiest day of the year and the goddess' birthday) to travel with Grandfather Alfred to Falkentropfenstadt to meet the mysterious sender.

The sender, who is none other than the former Chancellor and Penelope's grandfather, is probably more amazed than the two girls when they arrive at the door and it turns out that this is a beckoning from the Goddess that the meeting could take place here.

A small excerpt of the story:
Spoiler! :
"The first maiden rose has blossomed on Swanhild Meadow. Here our goddess was born. Behind it, built into the rock, rises a temple which we call the Imperial Palace. Once it was the castle of the goddess and was called the Maiden's Well. However, when humankind claimed it for themselves, the goddess fled from the temple to the Eternal Realm, leaving us humans behind. From then on, we used the sanctuary as the political centre. It is a sacred place and reason for the Long War."
Grandfather Alfred was travelling with horse Wilhelm and wagonette. In tow, Stefanie and Penelope sat behind him listening to his words. They had left early, the parents and Hilda still in bed, when they had left Eisendorf. Stefanie had told them that they wanted to visit Swanhild Meadow. Hilda did not want to come.
Alfred was not at all sceptical when Stefanie made her request. She often came with strange requests, or ideas buzzing in her head. He was glad of her openness to faith and talked about the goddess and the world during the drive to Kuckuckshausen.

Total: 29.090 / 50.000 words

1232 Reviews

Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:16 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 15th

(Book I, Part III, Chapter 10: Reunion, Chapter 11: The mission)

2391 words

Finally, the third part is over and Stefanie knows what is in store for her. She prepares for the mission and Grandfather von Eulenburg takes his rescued granddaughter with him, which Penelope does not like at all. I am finally happy to have finished introducing Stefanie and now focus on Richard and his sister Sophie before he too receives a letter.

Small except of the story:

Spoiler! :
"I suppose it is fate that we have come together," he continued, "I also thank you for coming here. That you received the letter and thought about how you were going to answer it. I would like to introduce myself again and start from the beginning. I am Albert von Eulenburg, the former chancellor of Sagauvela and now grandfather."
Stefanie pulled out the letter and handed it to the old man. She was still not quite sure what was in store for her, she thought of nothing that could change her life.
"It's good to have set a goal without having already begun a journey," Albert von Eulenburg whispered.
He sat down beside her. Looking deep into Stefanie's eyes, he could read her desire, her real goal. He smiled inwardly, pleased to have chosen her.
"I have a goal of my own that I want to achieve. But I am too old to be able to achieve it alone. At the very least, it is a task that would rob me of my life force and especially now - in times of change and new beginnings, I want to spend this time with my granddaughter while I still can.
Today's unexpected meeting has given me renewed hope and I sincerely believe that you can achieve my goal - fulfil my wish," the old man explained calmly and thoughtfully, "As Chancellor of this wonderful country, I have done much to give it and its inhabitants a security in which we can all live out together. This security has been in danger every day for five years now, and as you have surely noticed, this new beginning is a division for our country.
Some hope and yearn for the completion of a beginning that has never been started and that has supposedly been waiting to start for centuries. Ringed by the relentless bells of this one man, the violence and changes spread like water in a sinking ship, polluting more and more of our land.
The other side is silent, seeing in this man the evil, the calamity that will again throw our country into a desolate darkness as it was centuries ago, they nevertheless remain silent in the face of the masses after so many of them have already been arrested and murdered by this man's followers.
Sagauvela never waited for a man like him. Do you know who I am talking about, Stefanie?"
Listening artfully, she knew exactly whom von Eulenburg meant.
"The baron." she said softly.

Total:31.481 / 50.000 words

1232 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:11 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 16th

(Book I, Part IV, Chapter 1: The legend)

1238 words

A more filler chapter that tells a bit of the history of the town where Richard lives, but most importantly we get a glimpse of an old fairy tale told there about a lindworm that is said to have once lived there. Filler, because I didn't really know how I wanted to introduce Richard yet, but now I have an idea for tomorrow...

Total: 32.729 / 50.000

1232 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:43 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 17th

(Book I, Part IV, Chapter 2: Phlegmaticus 1)

1919 words

I don't have much to say here. The story keeps moving and I wonder now whether I will continue after NaNo. I feel like I'm practising holding my breath every day and I'm only allowed to breathe again once I've finished writing.

Excerpt of the story:
Spoiler! :
A cool wind blew through the shady forest.
Between the alders, the veil that stretched over gravestone and blade of grass seemed like an invisible hand that made the visitor tremble on this field of the dead.
The trees seemed sparse as they lonely spread this place in light and semi-darkness. It was a beautiful place for a cemetery, it was quiet and peaceful and yet so full of life. The low fence separated it from the city walls. A few streams flowed between the meadows and a few gravel paths. The glorious surroundings were a retreat for those who wanted to reflect.
In front of a grave, it was neat and clean, sat a girl. She had cleaned it herself. The grey stone and the inscription were polished and shone in the sunshine that fell on the letters like a divine glow between the crowns. New flowers lay ready, they had been picked by her.
Sophie liked to come here. She liked the solitude and the silent prayer in this place. It gave her strength to get through the difficult situations in her life. It gave her strength to thank and help her family. It built understanding and kindness when she came here on those summer days. Sometimes she needed this freedom, not wanting to be constantly sheltered and guarded by her six siblings.
When she was woken up in the morning, she had not thought about the fact that with the arrival of the novena, the daily work also became more. Tourism had increased massively since the last war, which of course was not a bad thing for the family. She just didn't always manage to keep up with her siblings and therefore withdrew. She feared her own weakness less than the belief that her family considered her a burden.

Total: 34.648 / 50.000 words

1232 Reviews

Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:02 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 18th

(Book I, Part IV, Chapter 2: Phlegmaticus 2)

2353 words

Finishing this chapter with a thinking Richard after receiving the letter, he is now facing a cruel moment in his life, where he doesn´t know where to go. I tried to put his thought process into the story in a way of a dream sequence and his reclusion during the evening meal with his siblings. The only bigger "light" in the chapter so far is his sister Sophie. She was with him when he read the letter and wants him to leave, so he can finally achieve his dream. But Richard is too "lazy" to think about himself and not the family.

I don´t know why I like this sentence so much, because it isn´t anything special, maybe I like it because it´s a neat description of Richard´s mood.

"I have no idea. I feel like I'm sitting next to my body..."

Total: 37.001 / 50.000 words

1232 Reviews

Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:18 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 19th

(Book I, Part IV, Chapter 3: Richard and Sophie)

1699 words

A tiny goal for myself is to surpass 42.000 words on Sunday. I´m pretty sure that I can finish NaNo with a bit more than 50.000 words, but I probably can´t introduce every main character. Maybe I can finish the part with Klaus and get a glimpse of Janice, but that´s still a suggestion of my own planning...
Maybe this is more of a Filler chapter, but I didn´t want to get the decision of Richard so quick, so I got him a bit of a thinking arc with his sister.

Total: 38.700 / 50.000 words

1232 Reviews

Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:47 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

November 20th

(Book I, Part IV, Chapter 4: The decision, Chapter 5: The beginning)
2066 words

Finally, Richard has found a decision and speaks with his family. His father has the last word and encourages him to leave the family and go. He wants to depart tomorrow morning. Before ending this part I also gave a quick glance at Stefanie and the departure of the chancellor and his granddaughter Penelope. In the next part will finally be Klaus introduced.

Excerpt of the story:
Spoiler! :
"Let's talk outside."
Richard was unaware of what was now heading his way. He had never dreamed that his father would even take a night to think about it. He had demanded the same of Richard. Well, without much sleep, he had really thought about how to proceed.
Outside it was still cool, Richard had not known that it had rained during the night. The damp grass glowed with the first rays of sunlight. Father August took a seat at the bench behind the courtyard and cursed briefly as a few drops of water fell from the roof onto his hat.
"Have you been thinking?"
"Yes."
"You don't seem very motivated."
Richard shook his head.
"It's not that father. What would you do in my place? I haven't slept all night, I've been racking my brains on how to decide. I know it will be difficult for you when I am gone-"
"What do you want, Richard?"
His father looked at him with stern eyes.
"I...I want to leave. But-"
"That's all I want to know from you, my boy," he stated, "I see no reason to forbid you to go. You are old enough to decide for yourself what you want to do with your life. But be aware of one thing, my boy; it's not always going to be easy out there. Especially in this day and age. I hope you realise that the world is a dangerous place and you have a sense of what's right."
"Of course."

Total: 40.766 / 50.000 words

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul."
— Pablo Neruda