View Likes
Carlito says...

BUNNY ROM COM

👩‍❤️‍👨 Childhood friends to rivals to lovers

😉 Fake dating

👩‍👧 Rory/Lorelei bond

🏡 Cottagecore

🐰 Bunnies

GOAL: 50k!! I made it last year against all odds, so my other goal is to not get so behind that I have to do a 15k in 3 days Hail Mary Writing Weekend like I did last year...

Tentative pitch:

Spoiler! :
18-year-old Maia Champion really loves bunnies. She:
1. Started a nonprofit bunny rescue three years ago, sacrificing a typical high school experience in the process.
2. Educates the masses about proper rabbit care and the joys of bunny ownership featuring her two personal bunnies (Waffles & Pancakes) on social media.
3. Is in the final round of selections for an upcoming documentary about teenagers with animal rescues that would give Champion Rabbit Rescue much needed exposure and funding.

Maia is campaigning her town council to ban the sell of rabbits in pet stores. After all, well-intentioned people adopting a cute, fluffy baby bunny without knowing about the animal’s needs is what contributes to the high demand for spots at her shelter in the first place. Her main opposition is Seth Lorenzen, a childhood friend she lost touch with. His family runs a small pet supply store in town, and they were planning on selling bunnies in their store for Easter as a way to keep their struggling business afloat. When Seth confronts Maia at a town council meeting, it gets so heated a video of their argument goes viral.

The internet is taking sides:
Team Maia — because selling bunnies in a pet store is wrong.
Team Seth — because she’s squashing this small family-owned business.
Now, the documentary producers are threatening to cut Maia from the project and the pet store is struggling more than ever. Maia and Seth hatch a plan to convince everyone they’re dating and everything is okay between them to hopefully appease both sides, increase revenue to the pet supply store, and get her back in the documentary. But fake dating is hard when they have real issues to work out between them, and if they can’t do a convincing job then her rescue and his parent’s pet store are both going to suffer.

This idea has been marinating for over a year at this point, so it's about time I write the first draft! Ask me anything! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:10 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

My hand slipped and I started writing!

I usually aim for 60-65k words for my books, so maybe this way I'll finish this draft by the end of November? My original goal was to finish by December 15 (giving myself a little wiggle room at the end of NaNo to actually get to the end because 50k won't get me there).

~200 words down. Many to go 8)

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:03 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

HERE WE GOOOOO

My hand slipping before November 1 yielded 274 words. Those words don't count towards 50k :)

Day One

Words written: 1685
Total NaNo words: 1685
Total manuscript words: 1959

Line of the day:
"The image of the Academy Award nomination for my ability to sway an entire town on the importance of responsible pet ownership fizzled at the look on this guy’s face."

For reference later
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all
[b][u]Day One[/u][/b]

[b]Words written: [/b]
[b]Total NaNo words: [/b]
[b]Total manuscript words: [/b]

[b]Line of the day: [/b]

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:43 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Two

Words written: 1681
Total NaNo words: 3366
Total manuscript words: 3640

Line of the day:
"I adopted Pancakes two years ago after I decided that Waffles needed a friend. Pancakes is a sweet girl at her core and if you take the time to get to know her and appreciate her. But she has big I hate everyone but you energy. Except the you is Waffles. And sometimes me. Mostly Waffles."
(the MC's personal bunnies) <3

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:51 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Three

Words written: 510
Total NaNo words: 3876
Total manuscript words: 4150

Line of the day:
"I love and respect all of God’s creatures, but I don’t need to see certain creatures (spiders) and I definitely don’t need to see them in my home."

Started late in the day and I'm sleepy! Also probably need to do some tweaking which I know you're not supposed to do during NaNo but I need to get the opening right or it's hard for me to go on, and right now I don't think it's right.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:35 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

I think part of my barrier yesterday was that I'm not fully in my MCs head yet and I don't fully understand how she thinks. While yes it's a first draft and it doesn't need to be perfect and I can fix how she thinks later, for me and how I draft it's an essential piece and I'd rather figure it out now at 5k than waffle around and hate the entire book!

So I'm going back to add a little to what I've done so far. If I don't hit the goal today I'm okay with that because I think the work I did so far tonight to figure out how she thinks is going to help me write more going forward and I should have time to make up some ground this weekend! :)

(she says even though i was behind after day 3 last year too and then i didn't catch up until my hail mary weekend but shhhhh it's going to be different this time)

Day Four

Words written: 1128 (honestly more than I thought I'd get)
Total NaNo words: 5004
Total manuscript words: 5278

Line of the day:
"I usually scrolled through all my feeds as a way of waking up in the morning because God didn’t design me as a morning person."

I'M ONLY A DAY BEHIND AND I VOW TO NOT LET THIS CAREEN OUT OF CONTROL.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:51 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Five

Words written: 1684
Total NaNo words: 6688
Total manuscript words: 6962

Line of the day:
"Outside with my mom in the garden, I didn’t need to worry about social media or whether I was doing enough for the rescue or the overall wellbeing of rabbits everywhere. The dirt under my nails and the rhythmic motions of the work kept any storm that tried to gain traction from actually taking off in my brain. "

I am SO tired and I'm really proud that I made it to the word count today! I also did some behind the scenes world building stuff (world building looks very definitely when you write contemporary, but it still has to happen! :p)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:12 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

lol just noticed that i have yet to post my daily update before 11pm because i think every day except maybe the first day i didn't finish before 11pm.

Day Six

Words written: 2041
Total NaNo words: 8729
Total manuscript words: 9003

Line of the day:
"He looked way too proud of himself for coming up with that idea in such a short span of time. But I had to admit, it wasn’t a bad idea."

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:50 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Seven

Words written: 520
Total NaNo words: 9249
Total manuscript words: 9523

Line of the day:
"I knew some people thought it was strange that I talked to Waffles and Pancakes and all the other bunnies currently residing in my home like they were people more than animals. But to me, they weren’t just bunnies. They were family, and they deserve to be treated like a family member."

(ignore the tenses. i'm still deciding what tense i want this book to be lol)

Even though we supposedly gained an hour of sleep last night, I'm still SO tired. I had a lot to do today. I didn't start writing until 10pm again and you know what. I don't need to hit 1667 today. Sleep is important too :p

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:50 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Eight

Words written: 841
Total NaNo words: 10090
Total manuscript words: 10364 (BROKE 10K)

Line of the day:
“A rock? You really mistook that for a rabbit?”
“Sorry! I thought it was the right size?”
“Do you even know what a rabbit looks like? Where are the ears?”

Oop started late in the day again. I need to start playing catchup so I don't get as behind as I did last year!!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:15 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Nine

Words written: 1009
Total NaNo words: 11099
Total manuscript words: 11373

Line of the day:
I forgot to update this yesterday and I don't want to go back to read :p

I intended on writing a LOT more words yesterday but I actually wrote those in the MORNING for a change and then life got away from me and I didn't write any more!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:45 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Ten

Words written: 3031
Total NaNo words: 14130
Total manuscript words: 14404

Line of the day:
"When I started my day this morning, I didn’t expect that it’d culminate with Seth Lorenzen coming to my house, but here we were."

This is what I intended to do yesterday before life. MAKING A DENT IN MY WORD COUNT DEFICIT. I WILL NOT GET AS FAR BEHIND AS I DID LAST YEAR.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:17 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Eleven

Words written: 40 lol
Total NaNo words: 14170
Total manuscript words: 14444 (I promise i didn't do this on purpose)

Line of the day:

I was in a very reflective mood today but I still wanted to write SOMETHING each day even though I knew I wouldn't get close to the goal.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:19 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Twelve

Words written: 1140
Total NaNo words: 15310
Total manuscript words: 15574

Line of the day:
"Waffles was currently busy digging in his favorite cardboard box that I kept in the corner for him to keep him from doing things like digging in the carpet. Not that Waffles would know what that was like because he’d never done a single thing wrong in his entire life."

(waffles is based off of neville the bunny. neville the bunny also never did anything wrong in his entire life)

I intended for this to be a big writing day but then ALL TOO WELL (10 MINUTE VERSION) + ALL TOO WELL THE SHORT FILM left me with so much to process and honestly it's a miracle I wrote 1100 words.

Ask a Therapist!

Plus, we offer technical support for your convenience.
— nasstands (likely a spambot, but a polite one, eh?)