z

Young Writers Society

NaNo Quotes

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:22 pm
logosgal says...

Eep! too many numbers! Aet, you're almost as bad as Snoink... :roll:

There are other ways to up your word count, you know.
Simeon felt that the dragon we sizing him up, judging him, scrutinizing every inch of him.
See? all you need is annoying, repetitive redundancies! No counting necessary!

The dragon only answered with an enigmatic look. Dragons have enigmatic looks down to a science. A dragon’s enigmatic look is so completely inscrutable that no one has ever been able to glean any information at all from them, except for the information that the dragon giving the look will not be giving any more information, and that this particular dragon is, in fact, proficient in the art and science of enigmatic look-giving. Simeon knew that the dragon would not give him any more answer than that.
That's my pathetic attempt at...something...
Home is where the books are.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:15 pm
Aet Lindling says...

And I already have as many of those as I can fit in. :P

EDIT:

Example, the telephone scene...

Thomas Berkness was about to partake in biting off, chewing, and swallowing another piece of the slice of cold pizza for breakfast, of which he loved the delicious unique flavor of, that he had taken from the grease stained box called a pizza box, that contained four other of these slices of cold pizza for breakfast, of which he loved the delicious unique flavor of, when the phone, also known as a telephone, and while this form of a telephone, or a phone, was not, the first phone, or telephone, which was created by Alexander Graham Bell, who also created the gramophone, and his assistant Watson, which is also the name of Sherlock Holmes’s partner Watson, living at 22b Baker Street, and the name of James Dewey Watson, who was born 1928 and has not yet died, who shared the Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine in 1962 with Francis Harry Compton Crick, who was born 1916 and died in 2004, and Maurice Hugh Frederick Wilkins, who was also born 1916 and also died in 2004, which is kind of creepy, rung.

And also the toothbrushing sequence:

Thomas Berkness got to the bathroom, turned on the light, took a toothbrush, turned on the bathroom sink (not the kitchen one), wet the toothbrush, turned off the bathroom sink, took the toothpaste tube, unscrewed the cap of the toothpaste tube off, applied some toothpaste to the bristles of the toothbrush, put the cap back on the toothpaste tube, put the toothpaste tube back, and raised the toothbrush up to his teeth. Thomas Berkness scrubbed at his teeth once. Thomas Berkness scrubbed again. Thomas Berkness scrubbed at his glistening teeth, the toothpaste foaming, yet again. Thomas Berkness continued in this manner for about 2 minutes, and then spit in to the bathroom sink (not the kitchen sink) all the frothy liquid that had formed in his mouth as a result of the brushing of his teeth. Thomas Berkness then rinsed out his mouth with water from the bathroom sink (not the kitchen sink), by turning the water of the bathroom sink (not the kitchen sink) on, tightly cupping his hands, placing Thomas Berkness’s tightly cupped hands under the stream of water, filling the tightly cupped hands with water, and sipping the water into his mouth from the tightly cupped hands, uncupping his hands, swishing the water around in his mouth, and spitting the water out into the sink, tightly cupping his hands, placing Thomas Berkness’s tightly cupped hands under the stream of water, filling the tightly cupped hands with water, and sipping the water into his mouth from the tightly cupped hands, uncupping his hands, swishing the water around in his mouth, and spitting the water out into the sink, and turning off the sink.
Last edited by Aet Lindling on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:23 pm
logosgal says...

Aet Lindling wrote:And I already have as many of those as I can fit in. :P
Oh. Well. Hmm. You could always write more story. Or have one character (always named by his full name) bet an unsuspecting police officer that there's no such number as one thousand. :wink:

EDIT:
Hehe, lol! XD Wow. Okay, I bow to your superior repetitive redundancy prowess, Aet. :wink:
Last edited by logosgal on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Home is where the books are.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:01 pm
Crysi says...

Ah, I miss "Captain Ahab for lack of a better name since the Almighty Authoress could not figure out a decent one before the beginning of the National Novel Writing Month started and then the Almighty Authoress decided this one was too catchy not to use it so of course the Almighty Authoress had no choice but to use it as the name of the captain of the ship on which the Red Company travels" from last year's NaNo. He was a terrific character, but for some reason always wanted to be called by his full name... ;)

So, I was writing in calculus today, and came up with this brilliant sentence:

Sijaeus led them around the perimeter of the room, which was fairly circular in nature.

I couldn't just say "round room," of course. But I could tell when I added on the circularity that my mind was in full NaNoism mode.

Oh writing. How you amuse me.
Love and Light

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:15 pm
luna_the_shiekah says...

"Hen."
I mean Hn. Or Hem. Or Hm. Not sure anymore actually.

Heather damned the wet wash cloth upon Fred's forehead.
It's supposed to be...well...actually I don't really remember what that was supposed to mean. Ah NaNo, how you force me to write and often horribly.
I cannot name this
I cannot explain this
and I really don't want to
just call me shameless.

-Ani Di Franco "Shameless"

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:38 pm
Snoink says...

“No, I don’t need it,” I began to say, when I stopped.

Hitler was sitting there, peddling hand lotion.

XD
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:32 pm
Twit says...

What, Snoink? Did I read that right? :lol: :roll: :shock:
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:16 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Snoink wrote:
“No, I don’t need it,” I began to say, when I stopped.

Hitler was sitting there, peddling hand lotion.

XD

That is genius. :smt046 :smt118
ohmeohmy

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:39 am
Aet Lindling says...

Ohhh... Snoink, that is genius. It puts to shame my idea... XD (having an elephant that goes on a rampage whenever she hears the phrase "15 minutes could save you 15% on car insurance")
dun worry
it's all gun be k

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:56 pm
Insomnia says...

John stood up and yawned, his John cracking as he did.

Seriously. Nearly 3 in the morning. Not my fault. ;)

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:32 am
Insomnia says...

The barman turned his eyebrows towards her, and said, “What would you like to drink, Madam?”

I blame Bubbles for that one completely. -.-

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:43 am
Crysi says...

Their faces looked friendly enough, Crysi thought, peering descreetly through their masked faces. Masked isn’t the word I want to use, but it’s 5:30 in the morning and I haven’t slept at all -- stayed up all night -- and so I really, truly don’t care. Yay for stream-of-consciousness word padding. I wonder if the hyphenated words count as one word or three? I suppose I’ll find out. I should get back to the story now...

>.<

The sad thing is, I have several more rants like that, but this was the only one really appropriate...
Love and Light

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:47 am
Leja says...

^ :giggle:

...I've been getting into this bad habit of changing the plot halfway through the scene XD Like, Connie will be at the train station, and I'll mid-sentence put a "But wait, she wasn't really at the train station yet, so she opened the bedroom door and walked down to the kitchen where she could smell yummy pancakes" and such ^_^

Oh, and in one part, the door "clucked" instead of "clicked" XD

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:51 am
bubblewrapped says...

That Hitler quote is genius, Snoink :D

I pushed open the door. It was an old, wooden door that had been in the family for generations. Sure, the wood had been replaced a couple of times, and the hinges, but it was essentially the same door. Except not.

I think I was channelling Terry Pratchett. Or possibly my philosophy professor. :roll:

Hey, it was nearly 2am...
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:31 am
Emerson says...

I just NaNoed all over this chapter, but this has to be the best thing I've written thus far:

“I am cold, papa! I need clothes!” Armin laughed and walked to the hall. And this is the end of the chapter.

I didn't know how to end so I literally just ended it. XD
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns