z

Young Writers Society

My Monologue

Reviews: 0
Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:06 pm
uchihadrummerboy says...

Today was the day I set the world on fire. With a boy like smile and enthusiasm I ended their suffering and set them free. Their cries brought joy to me and I became Him. Him, who they feared, but loved. Him, who brought joy to their lives but controlled them. I became god himself to these people, as they now begged me for mercy.But I shall show no mercy to these unworthy sinners, and as their god I will divide those who are good and those who are evil. To create a world that will be purified with fire and cleansed with fear.

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:44 pm
Aina says...

Two things:

1. Why is this posted in scripts?

2. This is so short that I cannot do anything with it. It might be the beginning of something good, but it is way to early to tell.

Aina
"Do you choose the path you walk upon or does it choose you?" - Abhorsen by Garth Nix

(freely translated form the language I read it in)

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:10 pm
Rydia says...

Hey there!

Okay so you've titled this as a Monologue which means it should probably be in Other unless it's a Monologue within a script? I'm not sure about that but if it's a stand alone piece let me know and I can move it across for you :)

It's a little short and vague for my liking. I'd quite like to see a longer piece where the reader gets to know more about the character (who they are, how they've come to feel this way, think this way) and the events (in what way has this character become God? Have they become ruler of a country or is it in more the metaphorical sense? Power over a small group of people?).

I think what bothers me is that I don't know what's going on. Anything could be happening, you don't give enough hints to pin-point the story-line so expand the piece and see where it takes you. Maybe start by asking yourself questions about the character and the events:

Has this character always loved the suffering of others or has he been changed in some way?
Is this character old or young? How might you show that?
Is this Monologue aimed at a particular audience? I love Monologues, expecially when they seem to build a second character, the listener into the piece so that the reader feels like they're a third party observer. Have you ever read Stealing by Duffy? It might give you some ideas. Here you go:

'Stealing

The most unusual thing I ever stole? A snowman.
Midnight. He looked magnificent; a tall, white mute
beneath the winter moon. I wanted him, a mate
with a mind as cold as the slice of ice
within my own brain. I started with the head.

Better off dead than giving in, not taking
what you want He weighed a ton; his torso,
frozen stiff, hugged to my chest, a fierce chill
piercing my gut. Part of the thrill was knowing
that children would cry in the morning. Life's tough.

Sometimes I steal things I don't need. I joy-ride cars
to nowhere, break into houses just to have a look.
I'm a mucky ghost, leave a mess, maybe pinch a camera.
I watch my gloved hand twisting the doorknob.
A stranger's bedroom. Mirrors. I sigh like this -Aah.

It took some time. Reassembled in the yard,
he didn't look the same. I took a ru
and booted him Again. Again. My breath ripped out
in rags. It seems daft now. Then I was standing
alone amongst lumps of snow, sick of the world.

Boredom. Mostly I'm so bored I could eat myself.
One time, I stole a guitar and thought I might
learn to play. I nicked a bust of Shakespeare once,
flogged it, but the snowman was strangest.
You don't understand a word I'm saying, do you?' ~Duffy~

Thanks for the read, hope this helped a little,

Heather xx
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:39 pm
EL FINITO says...

That was a good poem....oh sorry monologue....did i say monologue i meant script......SCRIPT!! That didn't even pass for a scri talkless of script. It would be better if it was a poem. You are a poet not a scriptwriter.
Gift are to those who appreciate it, use yours wisely

The reason a boat sinks isn't the water around it. It sinks when water gets into it. Don't let what's happening around you weigh you down.
— dalisay