z

Young Writers Society

Actors (scenes 1-10)

Random avatar

Reviews: 34
Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:40 am
TDMitchell says...

Spoiler! :
I know that people don’t like reading long pieces on here, so I am only going to post 10 scenes at a time on here.
I am also still working on this screenplay, so more scenes (or chapters) will be added as we go.
I also want to warn you that this is literally one of the most (or will be the most) offensive screenplay every written.
Hope you enjoy it!

Black screen.

ON SCREEN TITLE: The following is inspired by a true story. However, various incidents depicted have been fictionalised for dramatic purpose. Some characters names have also been changed, and all dialogue has been dramatised.

ON SCREEN TITLE: Viewers should not accept everything depicted in this film as absolute truth. This is nothing more than a fictitious work of art.

Titles fade out
Fade in to...

INT. TOWN HALL - STAGE WINGS - NIGHT
Thursday 16th December, 2010. Presentation night.

ON SCREEN TITLE: Thursday, December 16th 2010

On stage, we can hear various awards being read out by various teachers.

Off stage, SKINNER SMITH, a 15-year-old girl who looks a lot older than she really is, comes through a door from the change rooms. She is spiffed up to look like Audrey from Little Shop Of Horrors. In fact, that is who she will be portraying pretty shortly. She is fairly rushed as she is about to go on stage any minute in front of a packed crowd. She waits in the wings for someone as she tries to calm herself and get in to character.

That someone, FREDERIK E. HANSEN, turns up. He wears fake glasses (fairly contemporary) and is dressed up to look like Seymour Krelborn from the same play, although he is not in full costume as he has some aspects of his college captain's clothing (such as shirt, tie and trousers) still on, with nothing but a geeky woollen vest on.

Off stage with them are MRS. THOMPSON, PAM (the organiser for the evening), another WOMAN and the sound guy MURRAY. MRS. THOMPSON directs the two and makes sure they're ready.

MRS. THOMPSON
OK. You ready?

SKINNER
(breathing a little)
Yep.

MRS. THOMPSON
Good. Now, here are your mics.

She hands a mic each to SKINNER and FREDERIK.

MRS. THOMPSON
And remember to hold them like this...
(demonstrating how to hold a microphone)
...like an ice-cream. Otherwise the audience can't hear you.

SKINNER
Yep.

MRS. THOMPSON
(re: Frederik)
And you,... if the music doesn't come on in time, make sure you just improvise over the top. But stay in character. I know what you're like when you don't have these kinds of guidelines.

FREDERIK
Don't we all.

MRS. THOMPSON
(to both)
OK. Now good luck. This is the last show, so make it a good one.

SKINNER
OK.

SKINNER and FREDERIK stand closer into the wings. Silence, except for the on-stage activity.

FREDERIK
Well... good luck.

SKINNER turns to him.

SKINNER
You too.

COLLEGE CAPTAIN
(from on stage)
...cast members Skinner Smith and Frederik Hansen will now perform the song "Suddenly Seymour."

The audience applauds. SKINNER takes in a deep breath. She then goes onto the stage in character, as a very distraught woman. After a beat, FREDERIK shortly follows after her in character, as trying to comfort a heart-broken friend.

INT. TOWN HALL - AUDITORIUM - NIGHT
On the stage, FREDERIK (as Seymour) approaches SKINNER (as Audrey) in an attempt to comfort her.

FREDERIK
(with American accent, for character's sake)
Audrey, you shouldn't spend one more minute thinking about that creep! There are a lot of guys who'd give anything to go out with you. Nice guys.

SKINNER
(in character's American accent)
I don't deserve a nice guy, Seymour.

FREDERIK
(American accent)
That's not true.

SKINNER
(American accent)
You don't know the half of it! I've led a terrible life.

SKINNER turns away from FREDERIK and retreats to a trashcan in disgrace.

NB. For the remainder of this scene, FREDERIK and SKINNER will speak in an American accent to suit their characters.

FREDERIK
Audrey, don't!

SKINNER
I deserved a creep like Orin Scrivello, DDS. You know where l met him? In The Gutter.

SKINNER sits down on the bin.

FREDERIK
The Gutter?

SKINNER
It's a nightspot. I worked there on my nights off when we weren't making much money. I'd put on...cheap and tasteless outfits, not nice ones like this. Low and nasty apparel and I'd...

After a beat, she turns away in disgrace. FREDERIK (in character) moves towards her to comfort her.

FREDERIK
Audrey, that's all behind you now. You got nothing to be ashamed of.

The music (backing track) for "Suddenly Seymour" from Little Shop Of Horrors begins to play over the auditorium's PA system.

FREDERIK
You're a very nice person. I always knew you were.

FREDERIK crouches down to her.

FREDERIK
Underneath the bruises and the handcuffs, you know what I saw? A girl I respected. I still do.
(singing)
LIFT UP YOUR HEAD

FREDERIK lifts up SKINNER'S head, but she turns away in sadness.

FREDERIK
(singing)
WASH OFF YOUR MASCARA

FREDERIK hands SKINNER an imaginary tissue, which she accepts and uses to wipe away her tears.

FREDERIK
(singing)
HERE, TAKE MY KLEENEX
WIPE THAT LIPSTICK AWAY
SHOW ME YOUR FACE
CLEAN AS THE MORNING
I KNOW THINGS WERE BAD
BUT NOW THEY'RE OKAY

FREDERIK rises.

FREDERIK
(singing)
SUDDENLY SEYMOUR
IS STANDING BESIDE YOU
YOU DON'T NEED NO MAKE-UP
DON'T HAVE TO PRETEND

MUSIC: "Suddenly Seymour", actor's singing and room noise slowly starts to fade out, becoming fairly distorted and muted, with light reverberation

FREDERIK slowly moves his hand towards his glasses to take them off.

FREDERIK
(singing)
SUDDENLY SEYMOUR

With haste, FREDERIK takes his glasses off like an action hero spoof. The audience laughs.

FREDERIK
(singing)
IS HERE TO PROVIDE YOU
WITH SWEET UNDERSTANDING
SEYMOUR'S YOUR FRIEND

SKINNER gets up and moves to the middle of the stage as she sings. As she does this, FREDERIK sits on the trashcan.

SKINNER
(singing)
NOBODY EVER TREATED ME KINDLY
DADDY LEFT EARLY
MAMA WAS POOR
I'D MEET A MAN AND I'D FOLLOW HIM BLINDLY
HE'D SNAP HIS FINGERS
ME, I'D SAY, 'SURE'

SKINNER turns to face FREDERIK, who has slowly risen and slowly moves towards her with a triumphant and heroic look about him.

SKINNER
(singing)
SUDDENLY SEYMOUR
IS STANDING BESIDE ME

For some strange reason, FREDERIK'S pose and look makes the AUDIENCE language.

SKINNER
(singing)
HE DON'T GIVE ME ORDERS
HE DON'T CONDESCEND
SUDDENLY SEYMOUR
IS HERE TO PROVIDE ME

MUSIC: "Suddenly Seymour" and singing is fairly quiet now, as "Hand Covers Bruise" by Trent Renzor and Atticus Ross from The Social Network slowly fades in

FREDERIK and SKINNER turn to face each other - their expressions (rather, their character's expressions) then change to joy as they face each other.

SKINNER
(singing)
SWEET UNDERSTANDING
SEYMOUR'S MY FRIEND

FREDERIK holds out his hand.

FREDERIK
(singing)
TELL ME THIS FEELING
LASTS 'TIL FOREVER

SKINNER (as Audrey) looks at his hand unsure, slightly taking it.

FREDERIK
(singing)
TELL ME THE BAD TIMES
ARE CLEAN WASHED AWAY

SKINNER moves closer to the trashcan, but not on it, just to be away from FREDERIK (as her character is scared about the commitment that it will soon make to FREDERIK'S character).

SKINNER
(singing)
PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT
IT'S STILL STRANGE AND FRIGHTENING

MUSIC: "Hand Covers Bruise" has taken over soundtrack, and the following is best described as muted speech

FREDERIK makes his way over to the trashcan, all the time looking at SKINNER.

SKINNER
(singing, muted)
FOR LOSERS LIKE I'VE BEEN
IT'S SO HARD TO SAY

FREDERIK stand on the trashcan, now looking heroic.

SKINNER
(singing, muted)
SUDDENLY SEYMOUR

FREDERIK
(singing, muted)
SUDDENLY SEYMOUR

SKINNER
(singing, muted)
HE PURIFIED ME

FREDERIK
(singing, muted)
HE PURIFIED YOU

SKINNER
(singing, muted)
SUDDENLY SEYMOUR

FREDERIK
(singing, muted)
SUDDENLY SEYMOUR

SKINNER
(singing, muted)
SHOWED ME I CAN

FREDERIK
(singing, muted)
YES, YOU CAN...!!

SKINNER
(singing, muted)
LEARN HOW TO BE MORE

MUSIC: "Hand Covers Bruise" slowly getting to full volume for climax

FREDERIK hops down from the trashcan and make his way over to SKINNER.

SKINNER / FREDERIK
(singing, muted)
THE GIRL THAT'S INSIDE ME / YOU

FREDERIK holds his hand out for SKINNER to take.

FREDERIK
(singing, muted)
WITH SWEET UNDERSTANDING

SKINNER looks at it cautiously, slowly and unsuredly taking it.

SKINNER
(singing, muted)
WITH SWEET UNDERSTANDING

FREDERIK
(sining, muted)
WITH SWEET UNDERSTANDING

SKINNER now takes his hand, and they embrace their hands together in a definitive way.

SKINNER
(singing, muted)
WITH SWEET UNDERSTANDING

SKINNER / FREDERIK
(singing, muted)
WITH SWEET UNDERSTANDING

Both smiling look straight into each other's eyes. It is a high point of climax for this scene, and only they know what will happen. We can only guess what's about to happen, but the tension is building as we get closer and closer. It seems to the audience, the time is taking forever (not the actors - to them, time couldn't go fast enough).

SKINNER / FREDERIK
(singing, muted)
SEYMOUR'S... MY / YOUR... MAN__________!!!!!

As the backing track music ends, there is a short beat to increase the tension/climax. The two then slowly lean forward to each other. The AUDIENCE is now on the edge of their seats. Will they kiss?? Will they hug??? What are they going to do??? SKINNER and FREDERIK move in closer together. It seems like they may kiss. But as soon as they get close enough for us to find out, we...

CUT TO BLACK
(on beat of music - 1:42.5)

ON SCREEN TITLE: Actors

On every deep beat, an opening title appears.

FADE INTO

EXT. TOWN - VARIOUS LOCATIONS - EVENING

WIDE:

Cut back to a month earlier.

FREDERIK is walking home from down the street. He appears very hurt, angry and fairly upset inside. However, he is very quiet on the outside.

We now FOCUS ON and FOLLOW the hurt FREDERIK as he goes home.

The scene lasts for the rest of the music (save for 30-15 seconds of the track).

INT. FREDERIK'S HOUSE - CONTINUOUS

ON SCREEN TITLE: Friday, November 19th 2010

FREDERIK enters the house with his key. (Whilst the dialogue is in German, their respective translations are displayed with subtitles.)

FREDERIK
(calling out)
Mama? Mama, ich bin zu Hause.
(Mum? Mum, I'm home.)

FREDERIK goes to his computer whilst the dialogue occurs.

TOVE (Frederik’s mum)
(within)
Oh. OK, Frederik. Essen ist fertig, wenn Sie es wollen.
(Oh. OK, Frederik. Tea's ready if you want it.)

FREDERIK
Das werde ich. Nur eine Minute.
(I will. In a minute.)

TOVE
OK. Rufen sie einfach aus wenn Sie es wollen.
(OK. Just call out when you want it.)

FREDERIK
Das werde ich.
(I will.)

FREDERIK is at his computer - it is a 20-inch iMac. He awakens the computer from its asleep state and opens up a brand new Pages word processing document.

ON SCREEN TITLE: 8:30pm

With an angry and almost serial-killer type look on his face, he types his heart away, as if this is only place he feels safe, pouring his soul out into this document, which can be compared to a blog or online journal. The screen is filled up with his typing. (Dialogue is in English.)

FREDERIK
(voice over)
(also what is written)

Spoiler! :
(note: whilst this may contain spelling mistakes, this is exactly how it is shown written on the screen)

Skinner Smith is nothing more than a fucking bitch. I know I come across as harsh, but wouldn’t you as well if you spent the first 6 months of the year trying to pretend to be attracted to someone you only know for a couple of months? Trust me, you’d be shitty too. In fact, you’d be more shitty than someone who hasn’t wipes their ass for a week. She think’s she’s the shit and all that but she’s nothing more than a 12-year-old prostitute who purposefully doesn’t take off her mudpack every morning in attempt to avoid getting raped. Well, congradulations, Miss Smith (Smelly and Mentally Illiterate Twat wHore), you have just succeeded in avoiding getting any sex whatsoever. I should actually mention...

TRANSITION INTO...

INT. COMEDY CLUB - EVENING
Late November, FREDERIK is speaking at a comedy club. He is performing a stand-up routine; a routine which consists mainly of what he was writing in the previous scene. One can assume he was writing this for his stand-up. FREDERIK is a master at insult comedy, and he knows it, and so does his audience. And they love it!

FREDERIK
(following on from previous scene)
(not as aggressive)

... that she’s not really 12, but a 15-year-old who looks 19,... thanks to all the make-up she wears.

(audience chuckles)

I bet she has more make-up on her face than a prostitute would have cum on her face.

(audience laughs)

What’s the bet underneath all that make-up is a 15-year-old girl that looks like a fuckin’ 75-year-old tranny-granny crack whore? I wouldn’t imagine not, as the cunt is far too insecure of her looks that she’s trying to fuckin’ hide the true, insensitive and fucked-up self that she really is.

(audience oos and laughs)

I should also mention that whilst she appears to be a C-cup, she’s actually a fucking B-cup, trying to get as much material under her bra as possible to make herself appear at least half attractive. What, does she think every guy thinks with their dick or something?

(audience chuckles)

Pathetic.

Yeah, sure, she has a nice face. But it's hard to tell if you're kissing a princess or a fuckin' hag.

(audience chuckles)

Every time you give her the stage peck, you come away wiping more make-up off your own mouth than what's actually on her face.

(audience chuckles)

I should know - I had to kiss the slut. And of all people, who the fuck am I?

EXT. SCHOOL - DAY

MUSIC: "In Motion" by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross from The Social Network

(The week of March 15th.)
Cut to 8 months earlier. A 17-year-old male enters into frame and continues walking forward in front of the camera, with the camera pulling away - a DOLLY SHOT from the front.

It will revealed that this is FREDERIK. His narration is no longer for his comedy routine, but just narrating for the viewer.

FREDERIK
(voice over, narration)
Frederik E. Hansen. 17-years-old, born 25th June, 1992. Grew up on a farm--

Old pictures and/or home movies of FREDERIK and HIS FAMILY living in an old farm house at a farm.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--until the age of 7 when my family moved into town after my mother was involved in a car crash.

Police file photos and clippings from the local newspaper of the car crash.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
She's German, which explains why I was named Frederik.

Pictures of FREDERIK and HIS FAMILY over in Germany with his MOTHER'S FAMILY.

WIDE: school yard

Back to school, FREDERIK walks past the camera on his way to class.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
I'm a student filmmaker, actor and church musician, with a very controversial background in each.

While following FREDERIK, the camera passes a pole, TRANSITIONING to footage of some primary school musicals from 1998-2004.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
During primary school, the only acting I was involved with was in annual musicals, mainly minor or choir parts, until grade 6 in 2004 when I was given the role of Gideon in the ensemble cast of Zeroes Into Heroes.

Video footage of a young (12-year-old) FREDERIK playing Gideon in the production.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
These involvements were forced, but in 2005, I auditioned and landed a minor role in the Swan Hill College production Bats.

Footage of a 13-year-old FREDERIK playing the role of Spider in Bats. He is also shown acting with 3 other female actors roughly the same age - one of them is a 12-year-old EM BRAND.

Now, WIPE TRANSITION to a shot of a 14-year-old FREDERIK talking to a digital camera. A friend is filming him read off a piece of paper.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
It wasn't until late 2006 that I became interested in video editing, and in early 2007,--

FREDERIK, his brother DANNY and their FATHER pick out a HDD camcorder on a shelf in an appliance store in Germany.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--we bought our first camcorder in Germany.

Camera PANS DOWN and during the blur, the scene changes to FREDERIK walking through the school again.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
Since then, almost no acting project has gone unrecorded. In the same year, I released my first animated children's show The Adventures Of Stickman--

Footage of a 15-year-old FREDERIK animating a stick figure to move in PowerPoint - closeups on his face, the screen shots and his fingers.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--and started word on a brand new series called The Acts, a project which just expanded over the next few years.

Footage of FREDERIK filming various performances at school, anytime between 2007-2009.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
I also released my first feature film Moving Impact.--

FAST WIPE to 15-year-old FREDERIK and his BOYS IN REC CLASS doing laser tag. FREDERIK holds and digital camera and tries to film as he "fights" (or rather, shoots) his way through the game.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
Thank goodness my editing got better as the years past by.

Footage of a 15-year-old (turning 16) FREDERIK singing "Imagine" by John Lennon (little or no audio is heard).

FREDERIK
(voice over)
In 2008, I auditioned for and played the role of Fergal McFerrin III in the musical Back To The 80s. I also managed to smuggle a camera into rehearsals and release a new comedy-reality series The Rehersal: Uncut,--

FREDERIK places a camcorder onto tables, seats, or the ground. ZOOM IN to camera's lens.

CUT TO actors all gathered around computer screen to watch the edited footage.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--a series which proved to be more of a popular thing than the actual show. But it was after the actual performance--

Back stage, FREDERIK and another GIRL (who we will find out the identity of later) hug.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--that I suffered a nervous break-down after a complex relationship with a new friend--

In the costume room, FREDERIK finds a note in one of his shirt pockets, which he pulls out and reads.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--and fellow actor fell through, but that's history now...--

A lonesome and discouraged FREDERIK sits alone on his bed at night thinking.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--at least, I want it to be. Oh, well. Fucking shit happens.

Now, we WIPE to footage of a now 16-year-old FREDERIK helping with the filming and directing of a class movie. Some of the cast includes SAM PERRY, JESS FRANCO and others whom we will meet later on.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
I also wrote, co-directed and -produced, and edited a class film called Ill-fated. It was my first film in narrative form, and it proved a success among the students--

CUT to auditorium of entire year 10 students watching film and laughing.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--and my family over in Germany.

CUT to house in Germany, where FREDERIK is showing his family in Germany the movie. They are fairly shocked.

WIPE TRANSITION back to FREDERIK walking through the school.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
The following year of 2009, I started work on a new season of The Rehersal: Uncut and began work on a new internet chat show called The 15 Minute Facebook Project.

Cut to footage of the actual show.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
The first 2 episodes turned out to be a success--

On the computer screen, we scroll down the comments of the second episode of The 15 Minute Facebook Project, which are just filled with complaints from various users complaining.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--until the show was canceled because too many people complained.

Also, quick cut to scene of FREDERIK in a board room with the COLLEGE PRINCIPAL and YEAR LEVEL MANAGER.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
Wusses. In the same year, I also signed a deal with the church I was playing for,--

Cut to in church on a Sunday. A now 17-year-old FREDERIK is shown on the big screen at the church presenting the announcements with humour, clever graphics, etc. The church CONGREGATION laugh.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--presenting announcements via video form in a new series called Christian Centre News. The series ran into a couple of hick-up points nearing the end of the year, but we soon fixed our priorities and continued for another successful year in 2010. I also released a film that I had been working on in 2009 called Grand Theft Auto,--

JUMP CUT to on a farm. 2 cars and a motorbike drive around the corner at full blast and rush past us. FREDERIK is inside the second car filming out the window.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--or Frederik Hansen's Grand Theft Auto! for copyright reasons, which I directed, wrote, edited and took the lead role in.
In 2010, I began work on 2 films - --

A 17-year-old (turning 18) FREDERIK is trying to direct and film some of his friends for Alpha/Bravo. Some of the cast include SAM, PATRICK and BRENDAN.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--a feature length with some friends entitled Alpha/Bravo,--

CUT to FREDERIK trying to script Mondo Supernatural.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--and I've just finished a short film called Mondo Supernatural for my media studies.

WIPE TRANSITION to FREDERIK performing a scene from Inglourious Basterds for his audition, which we'll cut back to a little later on.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
I also auditioned for the college production which hadn't had been decided on yet. Little Shop Of Horrors was later confirmed as the musical for the year and I was given my first stage lead role, which proved to be a lot at the time as I was also working on Fiddler On The Roof with the local theatre company--

CUT to a shot of FREDERIK going through a scene with OTHER ACTORS at the local theatre group.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
--and Alpha/Bravo was giving me more of a headache than my 14-year-old brother at the time.

WIPE TRANSITION to see FREDERIK constantly arguing with BRENDAN and fellow cast members MARKUS and JACK.

WIPE TRANSITION to footage of FREDERIK playing piano in church on Sunday morning.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
In relation to my musical career, I have been learning piano for about 9 years now, playing in church for 7 of those years.

Cut to MONTAGE of various clips/years of FREDERIK receiving an award from the Eisteddfod.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
I had won various awards at the Swan Hill Eisteddfod for my piano playing, but starting winning a lot of firsts from 2007 onwards. I guess that's probably why less and less people compete in the Eisteddfod each year.

Cut back to FREDERIK walking through the school.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
In theatre and acting, I have a very unique sense of humour. At times, it's quite lame, but it can be very dark too. I'm actually often criticised by others for my at times dark, sexist and graphically sexual comments. Doesn't anyone have a sense of humour anymore?

Cut to present day FREDERIK doing stand-up at the local comedy club.

FREDERIK
(voice over)
I now work at the local comedy club performing stand-up and various other skits. I'm slowly getting better, but to me, I learn a lot more about life from comedy - what does work, what does work, what pushes people's button, basic things like that. It's kinda like Psychology, but without all the ethics. What makes people happy, what makes them go "Oo, that's too far."

BACK TO CURRENT TIME, FREDERIK walks to his class; the hall auditorium.

INT. SCHOOL HALL - CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS

MUSIC: "In Motion" drops and fades out

FREDERIK enters the corridor from the side door. Inside already are SAM, EM, LEAH and JESS. All of them just stand around having a conversation.

FREDERIK puts his minimal books on the floor and takes his shoes off.

JESS
What's goin' on, Fred?

FREDERIK
Hey. What's up?

JESS
Nothin' much.

After a beat, JESS goes back into conversation with friends.

COUNSELLOR
(voice over from next scene)
What kind of relationship did you have with the other members of your drama class?

CUT TO

INT. COUNSELLOR'S OFFICE - DAY

ON SCREEN TITLES: Thursday September 30th, 2010.

FREDERIK is receiving counselling for the events. He lies on a sort of couch with a COUNSELLOR sitting on a chair beside him, taking notes.

FREDERIK
I'm sorry?

COUNSELLOR
What kind of relationship did you have with your fellow drama class members prior to Little Shop of Horrors?

FREDERIK
It was,... It was a good, strong bond. We were, like, a unit. Little Shop brought us together more, but, I dunno. I was college captain at the time... Well, still am. I was supposed to get along well with everyone. But I think, despite this, I did manage to get along well with my class mates.

COUNSELLOR
So are you saying that because you were college captain, your relationship with your friends would change?

FREDERIK
No. No, in fact, one of my other class mates was a house for another house.

COUNSELLOR
Do you think that was because of your influence?

FREDERIK
Pfft. Hardly.

The COUNSELLOR doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

FREDERIK
I had a good relationship with my peers.

COUNSELLOR
So, nothing out of the ordinary?

FREDERIK
Yes.

COUNSELLOR
Even with Skinner?

FREDERIK
Um... look, to be honest, I didn't know Skinner that well at the time. She arrived into the course late, and she was in year 9.

COUNSELLOR
Doing a year 11 course?

FREDERIK
Yes.

COUNSELLOR
How is that possible?

FREDERIK
I dunno. You tell me and we'll both know.

Beat.

COUNSELLOR
How much did you know about her at the time?

FREDERIK
I had never even heard of the bitch before.

The COUNSELLOR looks up at him.

FREDERIK
I'm sorry. I'd never even heard of her.

INT. COMEDY CLUB - EVENING
JUMP BACK to Late November, FREDERIK is performing his stand-up routine.

FREDERIK
When I first met Skinner, she just came into our class room -- don't get excited...

(audience languages)

-- I mean, of all things, a year 9-er doing a year 11 course. Completely unheard of until now.

First impressions, we all know, don't count for shit, right? Well, at first, Skinner looked like the kind of person who was desperately trying to make a name for herself in the performing arts area. I mean, she's a good actor. She's a great actor, let's not mistake that for anything, OK?

But in all seriousness, like all human beings, she had her flaws. OK, for one, there's the make-up. Too... much... make-up. I don't want to stress too much about that now, but it was like when we were all back stage putting on our own theatrical make-up, all she had to do was walk straight onto the stage.

(audience absolutely bursts into laughter and a round of applause)

Alright, let's get one thing straight here: normal make-up is different to theatrical make-up. But all the same, her intentions were good.

And then there was the name. Skinner. Who the fuck names their daughter Skinner?

(audience laughs)

Hmm... judging from the surname, I think it would be Mrs. Smith!

(audience laughs)

Seriously, why would you name your daughter Skinner? It sounds like she was raised by gypsies. Or, possibly, ALF players. 'EHHHYYYYY, SKINNAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

(audience laughs)

INT. COUNSELLOR'S OFFICE - DAY
]Back to the time of the rehabilitation.

FREDERIK
But I slowly got to know her through theatre group and through drama.

The COUNSELLOR lets this settle in for a moment before continuing his/her questions.

COUNSELLOR
Explain to me about Skinner.

MUSIC: "Double Or Nothing" by Mycheal Dana from Breach (from 1:30)

FREDERIK lies back and tries to remember.

FREDERIK
Um...

CUT TO NEXT SCENE ON BEAT (1:38)

[continued in part 2]
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic75639.html
Last edited by TDMitchell on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

197 Reviews

Reviews: 197
Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:55 am
Jetpack says...

Hey. I know you've already cut this down, and it actually reads very smoothly - and is engrossing - when you get past the first scene, but unfortunately I think the length is still going to be fairly off-putting for a few reviewers. I'm not great with scripts myself, so I don't know a lot about the technicalities, but I'll try to give you some overall impressions. Hopefully it'll be a little helpful.

Regarding grammar and punctuation, you're generally fine, bar a tendency to use "languages" instead of "laughs" when Frederik's in the comedy club. That's probably a typo or an autocorrect issue.

I have some issues with the stand-up routine. You mention earlier during Frederik's narrative that he's learnt about how to push the audience's buttons and when he's gone too far. I think it might be interesting to have at least one of his gags, particularly the more offensive ones at the beginning, fall flat. It's really hard to write stand-up into a piece - I've tried, and failed - but from autobiographies of comedians, I have to wonder whether you'd always be in a situation where every joke is going down well. Especially when they're as emotionally-charged as Frederik's. Also regarding the stand-up routine, the tone seems to change a lot between the first comedy club scene and the second. Again, the fact that the same audience is lapping both sides of that routine up came across as quite odd, as well as the shift in content. I think it's partly because there's a gag about her make-up in each, and the first is significantly more offensive than the latter. It seems off.

The other suggestion I'd make content-wise would be in cutting down Frederik's narrative about his performances. Some of them really stand out and make a point about his character, such as the nod to the broken relationship, which I guess had a big effect on him, and the films he's made which were taken down due to complaints or received badly by his family. Some of the earlier ones are a bit too much. If this was prose, I'd say it's strange that you introduce Skinner and then she disappears for this chunk of the piece, but it isn't and you're probably going to have a reason for those scenes. I'm just giving opinions. :)

Lastly, some of your stage directions are all at once quite character-based and then vague. This one kind of stuck out for me.

With an angry and almost serial-killer type look on his face, he types his heart away

Though I adore the last third of that sentence, I have to wonder what a "serial-killer type look" is, and what you meant by it. I assume you just mean really angry, which is fine, but I'd use simpler words. The actor and director would probably have different ideas about the degree of anger, and attempting to specify it is slightly confusing. It happens a few times, where I think you'd have to restrict yourself to appearances rather than character development in the stage directions. Again, I mentioned about that the technicalities of scripts escape me, but I'd struggle to follow that in drama class.

So, that's all from me. I love Frederik's character, and the opening, which I can just see, even though I don't know the song. Sorry if my review was a little lacklustre, but I hope it serves as feedback, at least.

- Jet.

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 pm
geekchic says...

I agree with jetpack. The script is very well written, but I think you should cut out some of the narration scenes. This is very good though and i like it a lot.

-Hope
Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back.
-John Green (An Abundance of Katherines)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:52 pm
Nephthys says...

INT. TOWN HALL - STAGE WINGS - NIGHT
Thursday 16th December, 2010. Presentation night.

ON SCREEN TITLE: Thursday, December 16th 2010

WOW. A screenplay about theatre that takes place on my birthday. I already love this.
However, I don't think that you need to put the date info twice. The audience and the reader will both get it from the on screen title bit.

Off stage, SKINNER SMITH, a 15-year-old girl who looks a lot older than she really is, comes through a door from the change rooms. She is spiffed up to look like Audrey from Little Shop Of Horrors.

While I know exactly what "spiffed up to look like Audrey" means, chances are that your reader will not. You should give a brief description.

Also, if the teachers are reading out awards: 1) Why is it in the town hall and not the high school? 2) Shouldn't the teachers be giving the before-show speech instead of reading out awards? and 3) You should give us an idea of what is being said.

She waits in the wings for someone as she tries to calm herself and get in to character.

I get that "she waits in the wings for someone" and "In fact, that is who she will be portraying pretty shortly" are part of your style, but it's really important to be concise in a screenplay. I think that instead of saying things twice, you should try to find the quickest way to get the info across. (Ex: She calms herself and gets into character. FREDERIK enters.) The audience/reader will assume that she is waiting for him to go on.

MRS. THOMPSON directs the two and makes sure they're ready.

Again, unnecessary as her first line is "Ok, you ready?" Just say MRS. THOMPSON (The Director) when you list the names, and cut the action.

MRS. THOMPSON
(to both)
OK. Now good luck. This is the last show, so make it a good one.

Really? This is their last show and they don't know how to hold a mic yet? If this is just Mrs. Thompson being silly, give the characters some eye-rolling to do, so that we know that she always does this. Also, I'm now assuming that this has to be a variety show, and not the full musical, because you NEVER give handheld mics to the actors in a musical- you would give them body mics.

FREDERIK
(American accent)
That's not true.

I would put "In Character" instead of "American Accent" and mention in the stage directions that their characters are American.

SKINNER
I deserved a creep like Orin Scrivello, DDS. You know where l met him? In The Gutter.

Another thing that I would suggest is writing the "American" accents a little more phonetically, so the audience knows what kind of American accents they are. I don't know how familiar you are with American accents, but most Americans don't say "Guttah", and I'm assuming that you want your Audrey to?

For some strange reason, FREDERIK'S pose and look makes the AUDIENCE language.

This just does not make any sense.

FREDERIK is at his computer - it is a 20-inch iMac.

Unless this is a VERY important part of the play, you really don't need to mention what kind of a laptop this is. That should really be up to your props people. I noticed that you often do the work of other people (The Director - picking the camera angles, The Sound Designer- picking the exact length of the song that will play etc.) This is cool if you plan to make the film yourself, but if you plan to sell it, the production company probably won't be okay with how specific everything is.

FREDERIK
GIRL (who we will find out the identity of later).

"Mystery Girl" might be a faster way of saying this.

On the computer screen, we scroll down the comments of the second episode of The 15 Minute Facebook Project, which are just filled with complaints from various users complaining.

Give a few examples of specific complaints.

BACK TO CURRENT TIME, FREDERIK walks to his class; the hall auditorium.
As much as it is great to give us some background on your character, you don't need to mention EVERYTHING that he's ever done. I'd say about half of the experiences that you listed in film/theatre would be good, but right now it's an awful lot of background info.

OVERALL:

This is certainly an interesting concept, and I am interested in finding out more about your characters! However, I think you take a little too long to get into the main plot of the script. Also, I don't know if it's just my weird sense of humor, but I didn't really find any of the stand up comedy stuff funny.

I am very excited to read a screenplay involving theatre, and I look forward to reading the rest :)

Hope this is helpful!
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*- There is no sin except stupidity - Oscar Wilde -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Random avatar

Reviews: 34
Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:40 am
TDMitchell says...

I should just briefly talk about the stand-up comedy routines in this screenplay and why some people won’t find it funny.

Frederik is a master at insult comedy and he likes to use his strange hatred for Skinner to get this off his chest. Whilst in the world of the movie the jokes are up-roaringly hilarious to the point where he is credited a genius, in the real world of the reader, they are just meant to be insulting.
This is a comment on several things:
1. A social commentary on just the stupidest of things that most audiences find funny, especially the insulting things.
2. Because the humour is not really that funny and more or less insulting in the real world, this is meant to comment further on what type of a character Frederik is. Whilst he can be ‘actually funny’ at times and he can be a nice guy who cares, yadda yadda yadda,... put simply, he can be a jerk when he wants to be. Almost unintentionally he can be a jerk, a real a--hole, which will be a common theme portrayed over the course of the movie. Whilst we will see scenes which will make Frederik seem like a nice guy, we will also see scenes which make him unlikeable to the audience, like his stand-up.
Spoiler! :
In fact, in a later scene, he is given a severe talking to by the comedy club owner to tone down his material, but he later ends up doing the exact opposite.
So, more or less, it’s just to comment on Frederik’s personality.

Because
Spoiler! :
(as you’ll find out in the next few scenes that)
this film is so disjointed
Spoiler! :
(which is the bad part of limiting publishing 10 scenes at a time)
, this is not really a type of film that has any absolutes. It’s really more or less showing the audience the true natures of the characters raw and exposed without any editing or filtering, so that the audience can decide for themselves if these characters are good, bad, etc. This film is supposed to be interpreted in a way that the audience feels the need to be interpreted. Is Frederik good? Is Frederik bad? Is he just a confused individual? Or is he just angry or upset over something? We don’t know.

Hopefully that gives future commenters a little bit more insight into the working of the screenplay, and I’m sorry if I’ve ruined the rest of the film for you
Spoiler! :
(although it’s probably nothing special)

If you have any more questions about the film, please don’t hesitate to message me!
And, as always, reviews and feedback are welcome. :D

we went from advice to meth real quick
— ShadowVyper