Young Writers Society

Abigail - Act One, Scene One

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:25 am
View Likes
AyumiGosu17 says...

SCENE ONE

(Lights come up on the forestage; many sheep and goats are grazing peacefully. More lights come up on backstage left, revealing a campsite. Two shepherds sit at a campfire, talking just loud enough for their voices to be heard but words indistinct. DAVID, a SERVANT, and SOLDIERS enter stage left on the forestage and halt upon seeing the animals.)

SERVANT 1: (To David,) My lord, cast your eyes upon this green earth. Look! There must be two thousand sheep and goats here; their keepers must be lurking nearby. (A pause.) I smell smoke in the air. (He notices the glow from the fire.) And that would be the source, undoubtedly, a controlled fire in the shelter of those cliffs… Shall I go forth, my lord, and make your presence known?

DAVID: Yes. We shall.

SERVANT: (He nods and makes his way backstage, up the ramp and onto the third tier. DAVID looks about the field one more time before following SERVANT up. The SHEPHERDS look up, half startled by his appearance.) Do not fret, fellow Children, for our company is peaceful. Rise, and give your nation’s ruler deserved love and audience.

DAVID: (He approaches, chuckling at SERVANT.) You make me sound so noble, Thagard. I am no such man; I am a Child of God, much as you are, and I will be treated as such - no more or less. (To SHEPHERDS,) Now, young men, tell me: whom do thou serve, guarding such a magnificent flock over these pristine hills?

SHEPHERD 1: (Stammering slightly, still in shock of the king’s appearance.) Our master is Nabal, a prosperous man from Carmel. He just returned home, to his wife.

DAVID: Ah, I see. My arrival was too late, then. No matter. Thagard, take five men, and go and speak to this Nabal. (SERVANT pulls out a scroll and quill and prepares to write.) Tell him this: Peace be unto you and your household and all that belongeth to you, good sir. We have found refuge upon your lands, with your shepherds. Know we did not hurt them, or steal from them, but rather watched over them in their tasks. Therefore, bless these young men I have sent to you, for their hearts are strong and carry the Spirit of God. I pray, good sir, lend us any provisions you may have excess of, so that we may recover our strength and carry on our way. (DAVID pats SERVANT on the shoulder. DAVID turns to the SHEPHERDS while SERVANT recruits five of the soldiers to accompany him.) You may rest at ease, young men, for we will not harm you; I am a man of my word, as God and my mortal father Samuel have raised me to be. (He sighs.) Rest in peace, dear father… (He joins them around the fire, sitting between them and facing the audience as SERVANT and the five soldiers begin filing down the ramp, to the field. The remaining soldiers follow and beginning making camp on the forestage left, guarding the ramp to the campsite tier.)

SHEPHERD 2: (A pause.) My lord, tell me - what brings you to Carmel?

DAVID: (He chuckles softly, becoming even more modest.) I am a new king. I must know my lands, and the people.

SHEPHERD 1: Even such lowly people as ourselves? Shepherds?

DAVID: Yes. God made us all equal, did he not? Why, then, must I show one “class” more respect than another? Truly, what is the difference between you and me? (SHEPHERDS shrug.) “How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!” Ah, a truthful verse.

SHEPHERD 2: Verse?

DAVID: Yes. A verse from the Bible - God’s Holy Word.

SHEPHERD 1: (He sighs, shaking his head.) If only I could read it… I’m certain it has many true, valuable verses.

DAVID: (Nodding,) Yes, it does. Every word in it means something, whether you realize it or not. Every sentence teaches a lesson… (He looks at the sky. The lights have begun to shift to red and purple, depicting sunset.) Look at the time. Ah, it’s a shame, really. I was enjoying your company. But perhaps tomorrow, I can read some for you.

SHEPHERDS: Yes, please!

DAVID: (Chuckling as he stands,) Very well. Tomorrow morning, then. (He takes the ramp to the stage floor, to the extra bedroll that has been set for him.)

(The lights on backstage left and the forestage dim as DAVID, SHEPHERDS, and SOLDIERS begin camping down, ready for the night. Manipulate the lights to resemble the phases of dusk, night, and then dawn. SERVANT and his five companions should be reaching center stage as the lights begin to brighten. NABAL can be seen entering from stage right of the forestage, heading for the ramp leading to backstage right. DAVID, SHEPHERDS, and SOLDIERS may be allowed to leave the stage for the next scene. End of Scene One.)
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

Chickens are honestly little dinosaurs. And they know it.
— ChieRynn