z

Young Writers Society

In The Picture

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:12 am
bubblewrapped says...

"Darling," Georgiana said, curling a hesitant arm around her husband's shoulders. She felt him start, and wondered, as she always did, why he was so sensitive to being touched. Or was it just her touch he objected to?

"Darling," she tried again. "The London Symphony Orchestra is playing The Magic Flute on Friday. I did so want to attend. May we go?"

Ninian turned to face her, his dark brows contracted in a distracted frown.

"I'm sorry, dear, but I'm afraid I can't. I have an important meeting with Lord Henry on Friday."

"Oh." Georgiana felt her face fall. She straightened up, letting her arm fall away from the chair. "Of course. I understand darling. Some other time."

Scenario Your character has sold a precious item to someone for a great deal of money and sent it halfway across the country. Unfortunately the item arrives damaged and the buyer now claims it is fake. What does your character do?
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:13 am
Myth says...

Aethel cut him short. "Should of told your boys to be careful. It was fine when I packed it."

"If you don't—"

"Shut up." She disconnected and swung around to face the line of automatons—Paron, Gimus, Toy and Prenga. "Where's Stitches?"

"His name is Half-Knot," Gimus said.

"I don't care. Look what he's done! Gimus, I told you to fix it, not him. He's ancient,"

"Does it matter?" Paron asked. "He'll never find you, the address we stamped is fake."

Too annoyed to reply, she slammed the door, sound thundering around the room.

.:

Scenario: Your character recieves a letter stating he/she has inherited a huge estate in a foreign country. Does he/she believe it?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:13 pm
Teague says...

Tyson scanned the letter before crumpling it and throwing it over his shoulder.

"Impossible," he said in a flat tone to Ryan. "My family's dead. Every last one of them."

"But you've gotta have one alive somewhere," he whinged.

"No. I don't. Even if I did, what use would I have for money?"

Ryan stuck out his lower lip as Tyson strode away.

"Sourpuss."

+++

Scenario: Your character is alone in a dangerous area after dark and he/she hears a noise like someone coming near. What does he/she do?
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:48 am
Poor Imp says...

Fedya stumbled, and leaned into the alley wall. The noise from down the corridor of leaning industrials-turned-flats and the dusk light that patched asphalt as threadbare as his coat seemed to worry at him.

'Znayu,' he murmured, 'Ya znayu. Ach.'

With anxious energy, he pulled at his sleeves, the cuffs riding up, too short.

Voices mingled with the approaching scatter-start noise; curses and slurred shouts.

'Bogu moyu,' Fedya turned, unsteady, and ran.

--

Scenario: Your character is given a note/message. What does it say? Who brings it?
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:48 am
Alteran says...

Bill handed the small folded paper to Alice. She took it with confusion. I never get mail or anything

Bill took off into the sky before she opened it. He probably had many more deliveries for the Atlantian citizens.

Who could it be from? Her eyes darted across the paper. The familer hand writing of Colin made her weep.

I always loved you, And always will

Scenario: You are a character is a character in my novel. Are they a member of the Order or are they a Witch? What kind of abilites do they have?
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:26 pm
Emerson says...

Lev is a...member of the order? Sure. He has the power to control peoples physical actions xD

Scenario: Your character is sitting in a train station eating biscuits, when the man sitting across from him takes one of his biscuits and eats it! What does he do?
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:30 pm
Teague says...

"If you wanted a biscuit, all you had to do was ask," Stephen said to the stranger. "I have no problem with sharing."

Scenario: Your character comes home and finds that someone they live with bought a puppy. How does he/she react?
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:55 pm
Via says...

Cole was greated at the door by a small golden-haired puppy jumping on her pale legs. She smiled a little, reached down and picked him up--instantly welcomed by a few large, wet kisses. Paige and Austin quickely filled the foyer behind the puppy, both shouted about names and how grandpa got the puppy and who he was sleeping with and other things Cole couldn't quite make out amidst all the noise. She bent down to her children, setting the puppy between them, "I like him".

Scenario: It's halloween night, you're character went on a midnight hike in the mountains either by himself or with one friend. The moon is full, wolves are howling in the background...suddenly there in a bear infront of him/her in the pathway. What do you do?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:06 pm
Meep says...

Stella blinked, muttered something incoherent, and fainted. She just passed right out. Benji nudged her with the toe of his boot, but she didn't move.
"Stella," he hissed, nudging her again, but not so gently this time. "Stella, it's a man in a costume. Wake the hell up, you're embarassing me."

scenario: your character is handing out candy to trick-or-treaters.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:13 pm
Via says...

Annah stood outside at the bottom of the stairs with a bucket of candy, putting a bag of candy in each of the children's pumkins, each marked with their names. After the youngest of the ten had come down and collected his candy, she took the bucket upstairs and placed it in the kitchen...it's not like there would be any more children tonight.

Scenario: Your character has just cut his/her hand open on a pincushion when they tripped, how do they react?
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:41 pm
Meep says...

"F*cking son of a b*tch!" Stella shouted, nursing her bleeding hand. "Why the hell is there a pincushion out here? Ow, damnit!"
She could tell it was another one of her mom's weird projects. Mrs. O'Rinn went through phases of being very creative and artistic, and this, apparently, was one of those times. There was a pair of jeans with hand-embroidered flowers on them draped across the couch.
"What the hell is this?" Stella asked skeptically. Her mother seemed to be reverting rapidly to her pre-marriage, hippie days.

scenario: your character finds out that his/her best friend has been sleeping around; what do they say/do?
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

647 Reviews

Reviews: 647
Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:51 am
Alteran says...

"I thought you were gay?" aid Colin bewildered.

"Who said I'm not?"

"Wha!"

Scenario: Your chracters school has been taken over by Aliens. What do they do?
"Maybe Senpai ate Yuka-tan's last bon-bon?"
----Stupei, Ace Defective

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:29 am
extrication says...

"You must be kidding me--!" Errol nearly squashed one of the green little buggers underneath his very expensive shoe. He grimaced in disgust. "What the hell?"

Little squid-like creatures in various colours spanned the grounds. They resembled biological projects gone horribly wrong in the hands of Dr Jekyll. Everywhere around him students shrieked or swore as they tried to shake the things off their legs.

"Oh, gross," Regina loudly whined from a distance away, stomping on any of the aliens that came near her. "Who let them out of their little fishtanks, for the love of god?"

Scenario: Somehow, you've been slipped a strong truth serum. Currently, you are stuck in the same room with a person you extremely hate, and knows about the truth serum. What do you reveal?
because memory moves in orbits
of absence, because she holds her hands out in the rain,
and rain remembers nothing, not even how it became itself.
- Las Ruinas del Corazon, Eric Gamalinda

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 am
Myth says...

"Tell me, Aethel," the girl began, "did you really get rid of Dill?"

"No,"

Fist clenched tightly, the girl banged on the glass repetitvely. "It wasn't your father. You were involved, I know you were."

"Oh, get lost. I've moved on, this scar is enough to keep people away from me. Why do you think I surface alone?"

"Because you don't trust your 'matons?"

"Yes," Aethel said, looking away as the girl laughed.

Always laughing.

.:

Scenario: Your character prentedns to be dying, how do they go about convincing others?
.: ₪ :.

'...'

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 am
chocolatechipmuffin says...

The girl wonders what she can do to be noticed, how to finally get someone's attention other than her brother's. She has to convey this important news, she has to do it now, while her mother and father are in the same room. She watches the heated argument anxiously, along with her stepparents, all three wondering if they should do something.
The girl thinks of something. She remembers the night before last, when she experimented with that razor blade. She inconspicuously rolls her sleeves up, looking at the barely-healed scars. Pressing a fingernail against one, gently at first, then harder, harder, she discovers she can pop the scabs open. How perfect, she thinks, they'll think I've died. She glances to her friends, in the corner of the room, for guidance. Her best friend, the first one she made up, shakes her head. Don't do it, she cries silently, bad things will come of it.
The girl ignores her, popping open more and more scabs. No one notices.
She glances toward her stepmother, wearing her Sunday best, and a smile touches the corner of her mouth. Taking careful aim, she pops a scab open, and hits the vile woman right on the shoulder with a sudden spurt of hot, red blood. Who knew you could squirt it so far by squeezing?
Her stepmother turns around just in time to see the girl's faint look, to see the scars, all of which have been popped open, gushing blood over the cream-white carpet.
The stepmother screams as the girl slumps to the floor, eyes closed, an excellent imitation of death, holding her chest still, head to the ground, not breathing, waiting, skillfully using the carpet to hide her secret smile.

Your character is in a dark alley at night, alone, when several large, menacing men come towards him/her/it, clearly meaning harm. What does your character do?
"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky."
~Solomon Short

"We are all of us living in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
~Oscar Wilde

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
— Henry David Thoreau, "Walden"