z

Young Writers Society

City of Secrets *Started | Permission Only*

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 am
SubjectBlue says...

Tarasel:

Something inside me felt empty and torn as Climalsi left- I couldn't forget the painful look in his eyes.
What have I done to him? he's so young!
No, I just trained him to be a proper man, I wish more would've been trained like that.

I stopped to ponder upon that for a second, then I considered him and Nasira- I was so proud on both of them, I might have trained them to be harsh, to do cruel things- but I nevertheless loved them, they were like my own children to, Although I never would've made my son an assassin or a super soldier, I loved them just as much.
Why did things have to end this way?!
I went to the basement and opened a hidden door- walking through a dark tunnel that ended at my quarters in the palace, I walked to the throne room, maybe I'll find Hector there, I wanted to talk to him.

(as I see it, the general should be part of the palace people.)
'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.' -Stephen G. Tallentyre

"Great minds think alike- idiots are unpredictable"

For Free!
topic86079.html

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:03 am
Wolferion says...

William | Market Square

"Have you heard the latest rumors? A dead body of minister Haverin was found this morning."
"Seriously? Do you think it's got something to do with the general?"
"Shhh, stupid, somebody can be listening to us."

Indeed somebody is. As I walk through the marketplace, posing as a traveler looking to buy some of the local food from wooden stalls, I carefully listen to everything around me. What can be an utter noise of human speech for somebody else, is a resource for me - I after all can hear well on what I focus and I often dig into a group of people while "looking for something". This city so far has prooven to be the most interesting lately - I haven't heard of so many assassinations and stability problems for years; deaths, disappearences, mysterious cases and most of them are from the higher ups - which is even more interesting. I can feel myself heating up from a simple thought of digging deeper into this city's affairs, I haven't had anything proper to do for a while to begin with.

I can feel sweat pouring down from my excitement and it rather annoyes me - not to mention it's damn hot today. I step back from one of the stalls and look around as I wipe my forehead. A couple in an alleyway nearby - or so it seems - grabs my interest. The presence they have feels rather odd in comparison to all the folks here and they're awfully careful at talking, especially odd is the woman - the way she carries herself makes me a have bad feeling in my gut. I slowly head towards the couple while I'm "looking" around for goods, my ears fully focused on whatever I might hear from them.

I see the woman throw her hands up, her voice raises, making me look aside as if to avoid eye contact. Thankfully I've got rather close, just a few wider steps. I quickly hide myself behind a corner, meanwhile eavesdropping the best I can.
"Who is it? The Mage? Isranda? One of the other Maidens?"

I can't hear what the man says nor can I hear her anymore, they must be whispering. Though, I doubt they're having a friendly chat, the cold smirks I saw before give me chills. I'm becoming too eager to find out more.

After a few seconds of meaningless waiting I leave my hiding spot and enter the alleyway. The man's already gone and I can't see him anywhere now, however I notice well the woman. She stops near a store, a bakery I suppose. I head closer and already search for some coins to buy a bread. I want to find out more about this woman and I am going to.
~Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you'll never get anything~
-Formerly Shinda

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:30 am
ScarlettFire says...

Nasira | Market Square:

Nasira glanced around the Square. A few strangers lingered close-by, but she ignored them. A boy brought bread from the bakers and wandered off, looking at the stalls. Nasira scowled. Orders from the General, given to her by a fellow assassin. She should go poison the fool's food and drink. That would cause too much suspicion, though. and attract way too much attention. There have been enough people dropping dead lately to almost be a small army.

The assassin sighed and shook her head. It might as well be time for her to put her planning into action. First off, how to get herself into the Temple? Nasira grinned. She knew what to do.

Several Hours Later...

"But I'm not a foreigner!" Nasira yelled, cringing back from the stranger. He was tall, wide-shouldered and looked menacing. At least, he would do if Nasira was truly scared of him. The assassin covered her face, watching the man. He frowned at her. "Don't kill me!"

"No, you stupid git!" he shouted at her. "You're a pickpocket and a poor one at that!"

"But..." she whimpered and he took a step closer.

"If you deny it, you're a liar, too," he threatened and raised his fist. A younger, thinner man pushed in between them. He seemed to glare at the other man. He was rather handsome, if Nasira were looking for it.

"Leave her be," he said. "She's hardly going to do anything now. We could easily take her to the Barracks."

Before the other man had a chance to reply, Nasira pushed away from the wall and ran for it. The crowd that had gathered behind the old, thick-set man. She's picked all of their pockets and none had noticed until she'd deliberately screwed up while picking the thick-set man's pocket--thus the crowd. As soon as she bolted, the group raced after her. Nasira ran fast, and almost got caught more than once, but she managed to make it to the Temple and drop to her knees, asking for Sanctuary.

Not long after she spouted some story off to Isranda, she was left alone. And she planned to explore and find out the best way to set up her little trap. And how best to spring it. Nasira had a feeling this might take a while.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:29 pm
Betheny says...

Ulta | Deep in the forest

Stupid. Stupid! Why didn't you go with them Ulta?! I thought as I woundered yet furrther into the growing darkness. You could quite easily have done this later. Stupid. Why am I even doing this again? Oh, yes, because Isranda asked you too. Aodán was right, I'm still the temple's errend girl... Gods that was a depressing thought. I made a quick plan in my head that I'd finish this then I'd live, forget who I used to be and make a 'decent' life for myself. But that stupid voice of doubt lways held me back. You know Isranda wont ever let you go, and neither will the assassins. They'll send someone to hunt you down, probibly that Nasira. No, I'd never be able to leave, I'll have to see this through. Whoever's side I'm suposidly on. Now where was that damn messenger? That was when I found the body. I searched them and I discovered a letter 'If you've found this Ulta, then you've sent Keria to me, thank you so much, but now you've served your purpose. Isranda' Suddenly I could hear heavy footsteps crashing through the forest towards me, it was the city guards coming to arrest me. Oddly enough, I found myself crying with betrayal.
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:26 pm
Synnoev says...

Amar/Soren | Temple

I sat in the pews or the prayer room, head bowed over a small piece of paper, the air around me silent save for the soft murmur of prayer and the quiet scratch of lead against the paper as I noted things down, watching the Temple Maidens out of the corner of my eye as they wandered in and out of the other chambers into the public space. Obviously, to find the mage, the inner chambers would have to be explored. I watched for a moment more, then folded away the paper, placing it inside my coat carefully, then stood up.

Eyes still searching the prayer room for any sign that I was being watched, I made my way to the nearest archway, peering around the corner carefully before slipping around. That was the easy bit done. Now I just had to get enough of a grip on the no-doubt intricate layout of the building enough to make a decent map later on, whilst ensuring none of the maidens saw me. I glanced down both ends of the corridor briefly. At one end there was nothing but a dusty bookcase, but the other seemed to turn off sharply to the left a few metres away. I took a step towards it, then paused and looked up. Thick wooden beams ran from one wall to another all through the corridor, and my gaze shifted from the ceiling to the bookcase once again. It seemed old... but still, the wood looked strong enough to support my weight for the time it would take me to climb from it to the beams. My gaze ran back along the corridor, planning my route out as I stood.

"What are you doing here?"

The sharp coldness of a blade against my throat tore my thoughts away, and I looked to see the assassin from earlier standing against me, trapping my arms in a tight grip and pressing the knife against me dangerously. I frowned, nudging against her as much as I could, and she loosened her grip begrudgingly, though still not allowing me enough movement to escape.

"What, did you think you were the only one assigned this target?" I replied with a taunting edge to my voice, and she released me with a hiss, looking away.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:21 pm
Redfang18 says...

Kosey | The palace- the throne room

Kosey tried to calm down as Hector held his shoulders. Only Hector could understand Kosey's greatest weakness. They both lost a close member of their family - Hector's father and Kosey's parents- so they understood each other's pain. Kosey sniffed a little bit, then wiped his face. He knew Hector needed him. It was written in his voice, like the call for help from one desperate for anything that was need. Kosey wasn't too proud of himself for being loyal to the royal family, but he was more than willing to give Hector the support he needed. He got on his feet and said, "You know I can't say no to you and your family, Hec. Why else do you think I stay here? If you need me for something, then I'll do it without question."
Hector also stood up and smiled. That was the Kosey Hector knew well. The both of them left the throne room together with each other's arms over one another's shoulders like close brothers. Just being with Hector made Kosey feel better, but deep in the depts of his soul he longed to find his long-lost twin and- perhaps if possible- become a family again.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:53 pm
SisterItaly says...

Alycia | Temple

My face was on fire, as Aisha stepped between the two of us. "What do you seek help with, General?" She didn't sound impressed in the least. I'd have to thank her for helping me so often later. If we ever got a chance to talk. The general seemed to be forcing the weak smile on his face as he rubbed the back of his neck. It was slightly humorous that the general seemed nervous in front of a temple maiden who was so much shorter and smaller than him.

"Never mind then, I see I'm being too much of a bother. I'll be on my way." Aisha nodded and mumbled-- what sounded like 'Good' under her breath before grabbing my wrist and dragging me along down the hall behind her. I quickly caught up to her pace and straightened myself out.

"Thank you, Aisha. You're a good friend." I hoped we were actually friends, and she wasn't just being overly nice to me. She smiled and nodded as we went to turn the corner. She quickly stopped and took a step back. "Is something wrong?" I asked as I leaned forward to look around the corner. She jerked me back and put her fingers to her lips. There were whispers coming from around the corner. Voices I had never heard before. I managed to take a peek, just to see a woman holding a man against the wall, with a blade held to his neck.

A small gasp escaped my lips and I pressed my back against the cool wall. Aisha seemed cool and concentrated, but through those eyes you could see she was worried. "We should go get Mistress." I whispered as quietly as I could.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:58 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Nasira | Temple:

What was the idiot doing here? Damn him. He could blow her cover. "You're not meant to be back here," she snapped, keeping her voice low. A Maiden could come round the corner at any moment. She shot him a glare. "What do you need?" she asked, planting her hands on her hips. A soft sound from the hall caught her attention, but Nasira disregarded it. The male assassin was more important.

He didn't answer and she scowled, moving away a few steps. He didn't move and she rubbed at her head. Someone in that damn mob could throw well. Nasira glanced towards him.

"What's your name anyways?" she asked. "I can't exactly go 'Hey you!'. It's ridiculous."

He stayed silent a moment longer. Nasira watched as he rubbed his throat. Then he smirked and looked up. "It's Soren."

She snorted and shook her head. It had to be fake. What kind of name was that is this City? She scowled at him some more. "Right," she muttered, glancing down the hall. "Well, what do you need?" she asked, but it more demand than anything. Soren just stared at him, small smirk gracing his lips. This annoyed Nasira. If he didn't answer her, she was going to start yelling--not a good thing to do in her current situation. She didn't need anymore attention.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Freya | Prayer room

Freya stood in the shadows, observing Isranda. After taking care of the newest refugee, she had turned into the prayer room, and lit up a candle of incense. Then she sat resolutely with her back against the door and started chanting to herself. Freya was beginning to wonder how to broach the subject, when Isranda spoke. "You were wanting to ask me something, I believe?"

The Barean mage sidled into the room almost reverently. Something about this place kept creeping her out since she sailed into the temple yesterday with the army thick on claiming her nine lives. She couldn't figure out the Head Priestess--something about Isranda intrigued her. Any other Head Priestess might've cast her out, but not this frail-looking woman. Look she did so, but Isranda wasn't weak in mind or spirit, Freya realized. She kneeled beside the priestess, her bare feet cold and quivering. "I still wonder why you allowed me to seek refuge here. After all...I am the prime suspect in the murders and the kidnappings--"

"We help all who come to us." Isranda smiled. "You were a Temple Maiden yourself once upon a time as well, weren't you?"

Freya started. "How - ?"

"Just intuition." Isranda turned back to her chanting as Freya stared at her. Who was this woman? But even as she opened her mouth to ask that very question, the two temple maidens who had been present in the altercation appeared behind them. "Mistress, there's something happening in the main room--!"
Last edited by CelticaNoir on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:20 pm
Synnoev says...

Amar/Soren | Temple

"What you can do," I answered eventually, "is give me a lift up." At the woman's bemused expression, I gestured to the wooden beams above us. She scowled again in response.

"What, so you can go around prancing in the roof?"

I nodded in response, still smiling slightly. "You might be dressed like a Maiden, but I can hardly wander around here unnoticed." I let out a breath, looking away for a moment, my smirk fading. "If we're going to succeed at this, we're going to need to work together. I'll try and map out the building, find some places we'll be able to hide, and you see what you can uncover whilst you're in that." I added, pointing at the Temple Maiden robes that she was currently wearing.

Her glare deepened, eyes narrowing into furious slits. "You think you can tell me what to do now? I managed to get in here by myself, find a decent disguise, and you-" She broke off angrily, running a hand through her hair, stared at the ground fro a moment, breathing deeply. Finally she gave a curt nod. "Fine."

A smile made it's way onto my face once more, and I moved a step closer. "Thank you." She didn't reply, simply shifting into a firmer stance to help me up. Once I'd managed to clamber onto the nearest beam, I looked down again at her as she watched dubiously before making to leave.

"By the way," I called out as she started to move off, "I didn't catch your name."

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:51 pm
DSF6647 says...

Lynx | Market Square

If there was one thing Lynx was good at – Besides lying, cheating, and stealing- it was spotting his peers. And my was this girl ever one. Lynx hadn’t gone far from the Silver Rose Tavern before a pretty young thing had caught his eye.

The girl was flittering along one of the many crowds that were browsing the stalls in the Market Square. He watched with amusement as her dainty little fingers dance from person to person. A coin there, a purse here, it was almost elegant the way she weaved and moved among the crowd of people. Normally he would have written her off as a street urchin and thought nothing of it. Orphans and runaways were common enough in a city this size, and most of them eventually reverted to pick pocketing in order to survive.

But this girl was… different. She was undoubtedly young, but she wasn’t dressed like an Orphan. She wore black pants, a rather poor looking blouse, and a dark cloak that was thrown over her shoulder. The cloak was his first warning she wasn’t a street kid, plus she was to… good. Her foot work was confident and dance like, and she didn’t hesitate to go for the harder steals. She was trained, and it looked like she was having fun.

And then she slipped. It happened so fast, and so oddly that Lynx blinked and stepped back in surprise. What was that? She had been moving with such grace, and then her foot had caught a man’s shoe as she reached inside his jacket. The burly man whirled around and grabbed the girl by her wrist, hurtling insults as he yelled for the city guard that he had caught a foreigner and a pick pocket. Was that on purpose Lynx thought for a startled moment, had she wanted to get caught? The thought quickly vanished though as she began to shriek and try to pull away from her captor.

“Time to rescue a damsel in distress,” Lynx whispered with a smile as he glided forward and began to weave his way through the crowd.

"But I'm not a foreigner!" the young girl yelled, cringing back from the stranger. He was tall, wide-shouldered with a menacing face and a crooked nose. "Don't kill me!" she begged.

"No, you stupid git!" he shouted at her. "You're a pickpocket and a poor one at that!"

"But..." she whimpered as the burly man stepped forward, raising a hand to smack her.

"If you deny it, you're a liar, too," he whispered throatily as his eyes narrowed into slits.

That’s my cue Lynx thought as he stepped forward. With a simple move he twisted the girl out of the man’s hand and placed her behind him. "Leave her be," he said. "She's hardly going to do anything now. We could easily take her to the Barracks."

The big man hesitated for a moment so Lynx pressed on. “It’s not like she can cause anymore harm, you’ve caught her, what else can she do?”

He turned to give the girl a smile, but she was gone. “Bloody hell,” Lynx muttered as he saw the trails of a Black cloak vanish into the crowd.

“Thieving bitch!” the big man screamed as he took off after her. “When I catch you I am going to skin you alive!”

Lynx just stood there in surprise as the group of people moved off after the girl, shouting and hurtling curses as they ran. He didn’t follow right away, instead his mind played over the scene again and again. He was good at reading people, and that was one of the many reasons why Grenovous, his old master, had loved him. And something about the girl felt… off. He wasn’t sure if he was mistaken, but then again his senses had never steered him wrong before.

Plus she was cute, and he always liked the cute ones. With a grin he turned to follow the crowd.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:57 pm
Betheny says...

Ulta | Market

I don't know how long it had been, since I was betrayed, or at least found out about it. I'd been bound, gagged and blind folded, then dragged. To say that I am so close to the forset is ironic since I couldn't even call it to my aid. In the distance I heard the city or was it already around me? The guards had beaten me so much that I willingly gave into unconcious dreams and I was only just waking up. I could feel my limbs outstreched, pulled taught, and I could feel cold iron wrapped around my wrists. A wooden frame held my feet in place. Suddenly light pirced my vision as the blindfold was ripped away, as was the gag. Thank the gods that I'd left my dagger with Aodán as a sign of trust, other wise I'd have never got back now that a guard were searching me. My vision began to clear and I was able to make the Temple opposite me, looming over the cities homes, meaning the castle had to be behind me. I was in the market place, put on show before I would be killed in a weeks time.
"Damn..." I thought
"What did you just say?!" A guard shouted into my face, damn I thought I'd thoguht that. When I didn't answer the guard punched me in the rib, but when he withdrew his chainmail glove caught on the bust of my dress ripping it away. "Ha, serves you right you little murderer" He spat in my face before tunning and leaving. So there I hung in the market blood stained and broken with everyone staring at me and all I could think was Damn... When Keira's taken by Isranda, Aodán's gonna kill me. I was the one who sent them there after all.
"Damn it..." I murmered
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

212 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:58 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Aisha | Temple:

Aisha was concerned. What the heck? What was a man doing in the Inner Sanctuary? It was wrong, on so many levels. And what was the stranger doing talking to him? With a knife to his throat to boot! Aisha was suddenly worried that this woman wasn't who she claimed to be and up to no good. It was kind of obvious with her holding a knife to the man's throat.

"Shush," Aisha breathed and tugged Aly away from the corner. Isranda would know how to handle this. Besides, she'd heard enough. It was odd. 'What do you need?' indeed. This strange woman was up to something. Aly didn't protest as Aisha dragged her towards Isranda's rooms.

It was a quiet walk and when Aisha entered the room, she found the mage there. She glared at the foreigner before addressing Isranda. "Mistress, there's something happening in a hall nearby--!" She cut herself off and shot the mage a dark look. Isranda got up slowly, stiffly.

"Well, now," Isranda said. "Looks like there's things that need doing." She smiled at Aisha and rubbed at her knee. "Lead the way, girls."

Nasira : Temple - Hallway:

Nasira glared up at him. "Caira," she called. "And don't you forget it. It's what I told Isranda anyway." She shook her head and made to move off again. Wood creaked above her and she glanced up swiftly. Soren was lounging on a beam just in front of her.

"Very well, Caira," he said, all smooth, flawless charm. Nasira's glare deepened. When she had the chance, she was so going to kill him. "I shall be seeing you around, my Lady." He gave her a mock salute, since he couldn't bow and disappeared off into the shadows.

"Stupid assassin," she grumbled, almost inaudibly and stormed off down the hall. Damn him, she thought. One charming look and several jibes later and she was almost ready to slit his throat! What was wrong with her? She cursed him under her breath as she headed for the High Priestess's rooms. Isranda would there, right? She froze when she heard raised voices.

"But Mistress!"

Nasira recognized the protest for what it was and backed up slowly. Crap. Was Isranda suspicious of her now? Probably. In fact, it was highly likely now. Nasira muttered a few more curses and backed up fast. She would have to retreat. Damn those Temple Maidens. It looked like this hit was going to be harder than she though. Back to her rooms, then.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:49 pm
Redfang18 says...

Climalsi| The Fox's Den

Climalsi felt the sorrow leave him, like he was comforted by someone and he welcomed that comfort openly. This emotional feeling was very disturbing to him. It seems that no matter where he was, he felt these strange emotional peals and it bothers him that he's holding all this back from the General. Normally he would report something to the General, but this feeling that continues to distrub him was not something to discuss. As far as Climalsi knew, this was something only he coulld feel. It was almost like he sensed something. No, he thought coldly. Not something, but someone. It's like I sense someone, almost like...a twin.
From what Climalsi heard from very reliable sources, twins were supposed to be so mentally close they can feel each other in ways only they could understand and master. The rarest of twins are the identical twins- or as the soldiers call them the Living Mirrors. These kind of twins were believed to be so alike, they seem to be like one of them is looking through a mirror. The Living Mirrors are so rare, they're born almost once every two centuries.
Climalsi dressed himself in dark clothes, then left the Fox's Den. He went to the palace in complete silence, proving himself as the fox that soldiers call him. He hid himself in the bushes, watching and waiting for the Lion to come out.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:09 am
DSF6647 says...

Nhara Alamea | Castle

Nhara’s eyes slowly opened and she took in a long, deep breath. It’s another day, she thought, and I am still alive. She silently thanked the gods as she swung her legs around and pushed herself up. Her limbs shook with the exertion as she slowly sat up, her face twisted into a grimace of pain.

I’m weaker everyday Nhara thought as she grabbed her cane from the side of the bed. Taking a deep breath she mentally prepared herself, and then with a grunt she pushed herself up and out of bed.

“Lana,” the Queen called. The door swung open and a prim woman in a sweeping blue dress came bustling in. She looked a bit like Nhara, with long brown hair and piercing blue eyes. “Get water ready for my bath,” Nhara said, “And get my clothes ready, I need to be in the Throne Room today.”

“Cousin the doctors said you should rest,” Lana said as she swept into the room. She had been with Nhara since she first moved here nearly twenty five years ago. Lana was her cousin and the two had grown up together. She pulled open the curtains to let the morning light in as she continued, “Are you sure you want to leave your bed.”

“I may be sick,” Nhara muttered, “but the day I stay in bed all day is the day I am dead. Now go get things ready.” Lana bowed and hurried from the room. A couple of minutes later the she came in followed by a group of servants bearing buckets of hot water. They went to the bathroom and poured it into the tub as Lana came over and took Nhara by the arm and began to lead her toward the bathroom.

In seconds she was undressed and sinking into the water as Lana grabbed a brush and attacked her hair. “What does my schedule look like for today?” Nhara asked.

“You don’t have a schedule,” Lana answered, “but since you insist on ignoring the doctor’s orders and going about then I guess I can tell you what is going on. A meeting is being called with all the Lords of the area and the generals to. They are going to discuss the succession again and Hector should be there.”

“What is there to discuss?” Nhara barked irritably, “Hector is the rightful heir. He should be appointed King and we should be done with it all!”

“It’s politics,” Lana answered with a snort. “Hector is still young, and there is concern whether a Regent should be appointed to help him govern, it doesn’t help that you are… sick.”

“Dying you mean,” Nhara said grimly, “Don’t beat around the bush Lana, say it how it is. The doctors say that in a few more weeks I won’t even be able to get out of bed anymore, and a few weeks after that I will most likely be dead. If it comes to that then there are things that need to be done to ensure my son’s safety and his claim to the throne. I want to be at the meeting today, and I want them all to see me, that I am alive and strong.”

Lana didn’t reply for a moment. She just sat there, combing Nhara’s hair before she whispered, “You need to be careful Nhara.”

“We all do,” Nhara replied. “My husband was murdered inside these very walls and there are only a few people who possess the power to get something like that done.” She paused for a moment, and then whispered, “I am nervous for my son Lana. For the his future and for that of the Kingdom. The next few weeks are going to be paramount, and I must use the little time I have left to the fullest. Now help me out of this bath.”

With her hand maidens help Nhara got out of the tub and got dressed. Lana did her hair and crown as she ate a like breakfast and drank a tea with strong herbs to dull the pain that seemed to throb from her entire body. After her makeup was done she left her room, cane in one hand and Lana on the other.

It didn’t take them long to reach the great council chamber. Nhara stood outside the door, listening to the buzz of conversation from within. The room was set auditorium style, with seating all around the room for all the Lords and Ladies who wished to attend. Full Council meetings rarely happened, and usually the rules of succession were easy, but the assassination of her husband had caused problems. Some of the Lords questioned whether Hector was read for this, to lead the country. Others argued that maybe he had a hand in the murder of the King in order to elevate himself to the throne faster. The last claim angered Nhara more then any, but she understood some of the worry that the Lords had. Hector was young, and this was a big responsibility.

“Are you ready my lady?” Lana asked.

Nhara slowly nodded and slid her arm out from Lana’s. She passed her cane to her handmaiden and slowly raised herself to her full height. With a nod at the guards they swung the two double doors open with a loud bang. Silence descended in the Council Room and Nhara proudly glided in. She plastered a smile on her face as the Lords and Ladies in the room rose to their feet. The seats were all filled, and in the center of the room sat a semi circle of five chairs. One was for the reigning King and Queen, the other three were for the Prince and the two Generals.I can do this, Nhara thought, I just need to make it to my seat. Let them see that the Aramea’s are still strong, that we rule this land.

General Tarasel was already sitting in his seat, and so was General Aban. Both of the two men sat at the end of the half circle, and they stood and bowed as Nhara slowly took her seat. The tea she had drank early helped dim the pain she was feeling, and she had to force herself not to show the anguish on her face as she sat. She felt weak, and her head swam a bit. For a second she was afraid she would faint, but the feeling passed and she managed to look as if everything was okay.

Here we go, Nhara thought, Just got to wait for Hector to get here.

OCC: Okay so i figured this could help get things going. Hopefully this is all okay. But since Hector is still technically the "Prince" I figured we should get him to be the King, but since General Tarasel is the "bad" guy i figured he could maybe oppose Hector's immediate succession and recommend a Regent (himself) be appointed to help Hector Govern until he is ready. Just an idea, let me know what you all think and hopefully I didn't step on any toes.

Edna began to feel like one who awakens gradually out of a dream, a delicious, grotesque, impossible dream, to feel again the realities pressing into her soul.
— Kate Chopin, The Awakening