z

Young Writers Society

Why Did Her Life Turn Out This Way?

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:14 pm
View Likes
Chevy says...

Kyla closed her eyes and tried to remember what life had been like before the war. The war between loved ones. It was a war between her mother, the woman who had given birth to her, but yet, had been absent since her early childhood, and her Aunt Claire, the woman she had known as a mother who had taken care of her since her mother had left.
Now twelve years after she left, Kyla s mother was back to try and claim her daughter whom she claimed she loved so much but yet, hadn t been there after her third birthday.
You cannot take her, Aunt Claire said, rising from the sofa, glaring down her sister. She s fourteen years old and she s been living with me since she was three. And that is where she s going to stay both legally and morally.
Kyla s mother rose from the sofa herself and stood toe-to-toe and eye-to-eye with Aunt Claire. Kyla, heart pounding faster than the speed of light stood in the kitchen.
Then, Kyla s mother pointed in the direction of Kyla and said, Give. Me. My. Daughter.
It was Kyla who had to break up the fight and Mrs. Conway from next-door who called the police.
And it was the friendly lady dressed in navy blue and driving a matching blue Jaguar that said to Kyla, You re coming with me, sweetheart.
Kyla obediently followed the lady to her car and sat next to her in the driver s seat. She glanced back at the house and wondered why. Why had her life turned out this way.
when there's nowhere to go, it's time to grow up.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:24 am
Willow says...

They drove through the quiet town. It was still quite early, early enough for everyone else to still be asleep. Kyla and Aunt Claire always woke up earlier than normal people would. It wasn't as if they wanted to, but no matter what they did, their eyes always opened themselves before the cock could crow or the dawn could brake. This was also the case with Kyla's mother. I guess you could call it a family thing.
Kyla wondered why her mother had come by this early. The yells that were exchanged between her mother and Aunt Claire had woken up the nearest neighbor.
Kyla stared silently out the window. The radio blared quirky country music as they made their way through the town.
My life is a broken stair
Winding down a ruined tower
and leading no where

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:33 am
View Likes
Sam says...

"Where are you taking me?" Kyla asked, apprehensively gripping the fuzzy uphosteroly in the car. The lady in the navy blue looked at her uncomfortably from the rearview mirror.
"Oh...it's a place I think you'll like. Just temporary though, until we can get you safe..."
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:29 am
View Likes
Willow says...

"Safe from what?" Kyla asked, distressed. She had never been in any sort of danger before, none that she knew of anyway.
The woman just sighed and stared at the rode.
"Safe from what?" Kyla repeated. By now she was tired and confused, and this woman treating her like a child didn't make her feel any better.
"Look kid," she said. "I'm not at liberty to discuss this with you. All information concerning your case is previliged."
My case? I thought desperately.
My life is a broken stair
Winding down a ruined tower
and leading no where

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:32 pm
View Likes
Mike88 says...

After another 20 minutes of driving the car finally pulled up outside a rather large beautiful looking house. It had a very large garden with a path leading from the gate to the house. A woman in a red night gown was making her way up the path.
"Where am I?" Kyla asked, the woman didn't answer as she got out of the car and went to meet the woman at the gate. Kyla got out herself and walked over to see what was going on.
"I got your call, is this the girl? Oh, she's a teenager"
"Yeah, i hope you don't mind. Kind of an emergency situation, her mums a pill popper and her aunts a little bit psycho"
"Hey, don't talk about my -" Kyla began to proteset but the woman cut her off.
"Look, the short of the story is they damn near killed each other this morning. It will only be until we find a permenant placement for her, a week at tops, i promise"
"No, it's no problem. Trevor and i are starting to get a bit lonely anyway, it'll be fun" the woman in the red nightie said.
"What the hell is going on?" Kyla demanded an answer.
"This hear is Mrs. O'brien, she's going to foster you for a while, just until we find -" the woman assured her
"I don't need to be fostered, all i need is" Kyla began to protest but she was cut off
"I don't have time for this kid, talk to Mrs. O'brien if you've got a problem". The woman began to walk off and Mrs. O'brien simply smiled at her ridiculously happily.
"You can call me Shiela" she said happily

Reviews: 1
Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:09 am
View Likes
Little Texas says...

"Sheila, please! What's going on? Why do I need to be fostered?" Kyla said, now desperate for some way of escape from the lady in the red nighty.
Sheila grinned devilously, before taking Kyla's hand. Kyla tried to wring herself free, but it did her no good, the old lady had a stronger grip then steel.
"Come along please Kyla, I'll show you around the Estate, and then introduce you with my husband."
Sheila dragged her along, chattering non stop around the house, before stopping at the tall forbidding doors. "We'll both go in now, and then I'm sure you'll be hungry for some breakfast. Say, scrambled eggs on toast, with some bacon, hmm?"
"No! I hate scrambled eggs, and besides, I've already had breakfast with Aunt Claire." Kyla wrenched her hand free, but followed Sheila up the steps and into the spacious hallway. "That's too bad, darlin' cause Sheila there makes grand bacon." A deep voice came from the large staircase that spiraled up into another hall. Sheila giggled girlishly. "Kyla, this is my husband, Taylor, and he and I are going to give you a nice home until you find yourself a new one."

"I can't believe htis is happening to me! I don't need a new home! My Aunt Claire and I were perfectly happy where we were!!"
Stout hearts might well, dismayed in terror, cower;
But those were Texan hearts that knew no fear.
See---just above the horizon's farthest edge
A lone star rises in the gloomy night;

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am
concertchick16 says...

:arrow: "Now young lady, you dont talk to your Auntie Shiela that way." Taylor was looking at me as if i was trying to kill Shelia. "She's not my Auntie." i glared at Taylorand gave a equally ugly look to Shiela who was reaching for my hand again. I yanked my arm out of her reach and started walking toward the door. "Now, stop fooling around, are you hungry or something?" Shelia was staring into my face, her light green eyes seemed as if they were trying to read my mind. "I already told you, I've already eaten and now i'm leaving." I started for the door again only this time i was running.

Stay gold, Ponyboy.
— S.E. Hinton