z

Young Writers Society

The Call of the Ten *started*

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:16 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

Lupin Wolf

Our swords clashed with a loud clang. I let Beagle think he had the upper hand, but right at the last moment, I twisted around him and kicked him in the back of the leg. He crumpled over onto his knees and I pointed the sword at his head.

"I win again, Beagle." I said.

"Aw, you always win, Wolf." Beagle said. I always enjoyed our sparring matches, but it was true. As of late, I was winning pretty often. Not only against Beagle, but against a lot of other Dohgs in the tribe.

"That is why I should be a royal. I'm the best fighter in the tribe."

"Be careful," Beagle said as I helped him up, "Timberwolf won't appreciate comments like that."

"Then let him fight me!" I yelled swishing my sword playfully, "I kick him over to the next country!"

"Then fight me." Said a voice that was not Beagle. We both froze. I looked around and sure enough, Timberwolf was standing right outside of the sparring ring. He was smiling mischieveously, almost like he was happy for the challenge.

"Timberwolf," Beagle said coming between us, "Lupin was just kidding, he didn't actually mean..."

"Sure, I'll fight you." I interrupted. Timberwolf laughed and drew his bronze longsword. With his free hand, he beckoned me, and I charged full force. Our swords clashed, but Timberwolf was stronger than me and he easily overpowered me. I backed off and tried again. He blocked my strike easily and swung around his sword. I dodged backwards almost hitting the blade.

"I was expecting more." Timberwolf said playfully.

"So was I." I said back. I admired this person more than anyone else in the tribe. If he beat me in this fight, I would do anything to make him happy. I charged again, ducking under his strike and punching him in the gut. He doubled over and I tried again to pin him with my sword. He twisted around my strike with the agility only the leader of our tribe had and kicked me in the back of the leg. I dropped to my knees and he pointed his sword at my head. I had lost.

"I hear you have been using that move." Timberwolf said.

"Yes." I panted, "I studied your fighting style."

"Impressive" Timberwolf said and without another word, he left.

"I'm surprised he didn't kill you." Beagle said.

"I think he's telling me something," I said, "I must continue to train to be more like him. Wanna fight again?" Beagle sighed and drew his sword. There was no way anybody could back away from a challenge. I would keep on training and one day, I would be a better fighter than even Timberwolf. That was my goal.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:55 pm
Dragonet says...

*Is grounded again* Sorry!
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

Do you have any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

25 Reviews

Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:12 pm
Dragonet says...

>Sorry it's so freakin' long<
Yelir Weasel~

I peered in between the leaves of the branch that me and my best friend, Tyler Chinchilla, were sitting on. Gazing across the corn field that was below, I watched as people from my tribe husked the corn, while soldiers from the Byrd tribe stood attention around the perimeter of the fields. We were under a peace treaty, but I could feel the tension from both tribes as they worked under the autumn sun. A Byrd guard that was off duty was snoozing below us.

I felt Tyler's hand squeeze my shoulder, "Come on, lets go, we're going to get caught," he squeaked nervously into my ear. It's an odd thing, why Tyler and I were buds. He was a peasant, while my dad was a commanding officer. I was one of the best warriors in my class, but Tyler couldn't use a weapon for the life of him. He was afraid of anything that moved, where as I always got into all the mischief that I could.

I pulled my shoulder out of his grasp. The truth was, I knew he was right, I was scared up to my whiskers that I would get caught, but I wouldn't admit it.

I grasped the small pouch of itching dust in my hand, "Nah, Tyler, I won't get caught, I'm the best." Of course those were the same words that had gotten me into this mess. Earlier, I had been bragging to Rodny rat and some of his friends that I could out prank anyone. He told me to prove it by playing one on a Byrd warrior, and I was stupid enough to say yes.

So here I was, above a snoring Byrd, about to sprinkle itching powder on him. Suddenly, Tyler stiffened. I glanced him to see what was wrong, and said, "Tyler?" He didn't answer me, he was looking at something behind me, with terror in his eyes. I turned slowly, and then bit my tongue. Behind us was a Byrd warrior, ballancing on the branch.

"What are you boys up to?" he asked.

I gulped and quickly hid the pouch behind my back. "N-nothing," I stammered.

He eyed me, "Don't play with me, boy, I know exactly what you're doing." Tyler looked like he was about to faint, but I managed to look a little braver. But just a little. Suddenly the man smiled, "I played rookie all the time when I was your age." Tyler nearly fell off the branch with relief. "That's right," the man continued, "I was the rascal of the class. Can you imagine?" He started laughing. I gave a short, nervous laugh. Suddenly, the man stopped and looked at us seriously, "But really, you boys better get back to work." We didn't move. He leaned closer, "Or else." We scrambled down the tree. As we ran I could here the man's laughter, light and cheery.

Tyler and I grabbed a basket of corn and carried it toward the tunnels, which served as our city. It wasn't our job, but that Byrd might still be watching us. I nodded to one of the guards as we passed the entrance, I knew him as Farret, he joined my dad at feasts sometimes. He nodded back, then seemed to reconize me. "Good day, young Weasel." He said taking his right fist to his shoulder in a sign of respect. His eye brows nit together, "What are you doing carring a harvest basket? Isn't that peasents work?"

"Oh, I'm just," I quickly thought of a lie, "...just helping out my friend." I motioned toward Tyler.

He nodded, "I see." Then he smiled, "But how would you like to work as a guard today? Huh? Come with me as I make the rounds, I was just off."

My face lit up, "May I?"

"Your almost of age, and I hear your the best in your class." he said. I puffed up my chest a little, "That is true. Thanks." I thrust my basket at Tyler and we started off. I was so proud just then, that I didn't see how much I had just hurt my best friend.
Last edited by Dragonet on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:26 pm
View Likes
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Abby Humming

"Class is dismissed." I'd never been so grateful to hear Mr. Barnowl say those words. I bolted out the door before anyone else, my wings already just purple blurs. I spot a daisy growing in one of the planters by the walkways between the treehouses and slow down, lowering myself until I'm hovering about three inches from the walkway.

As I plucked the white flower from the soil, I saw a pair of military-issue boots, with a rather faded green splat on them. I straightened up, tucking the flower behind my ear. My wings sped up again, and I smiled brightly.

"Mr. Ferret! It's good to see you again!" I said, shaking his hand without his offering it. Mr. Ferret had helped Papa with a heavy load a few weeks ago. (Papa was a messenger and deliverer, see.) Mama had talked him into eating dinner with us. I got the feeling he didn't like it much, but I didn't mind.

"Uh, yes, you too, miss..."

"Humming? Abby Humming?" I nod gently, trying to get him to remember. He nods uneasily. That's when I noticed the boy next to him, looking just as uncomfortable. I swallow.

"Right. Well. Mr. Sparrow's expecting me. Gathering duties!" I try to sound chipper, but the way the Roddints are looking at me has put a damper on my mood. I angle myself upward and dart away, making little pauses like real hummingbirds did, to Mr. Sparrow's house.

Maybe Gathering would brighten my mood some.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:33 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Forgot to mention...Doe isn't royalty, but she's pretty close to it.

Murdoshi Blueshark:

I laughed as the fish darted away from me. I've been chasing them for nearly ten minutes. It's not that I couldn't catch them, I could do that easily. I just like to play around with them sometimes. I shot forward quickly and grabbed a blue fish.

I quickly kicked up to the surface and climbed out onto the pebbley shore. The fish flopped around in my hand until I bit into it and it died. I spat out some blood and ate the meat from it. Done with it, I threw it back into the ocean for anything that might like to eat it. Quickly, I ran my hand through my blue hair and made sure my charm was still there, and as always it was.
Live, Love, Laugh

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:29 pm
SisterItaly says...

Alex Panther

I stretched out in the field, laying in the warm sun. I loved the way the sun felt on my skin, warming my face. It was going to be a nice, relaxing, peaceful, carefree day. Was being the operative word. It WAS until Henry Jaguar awoke me from my rest.
"Why, hello there Mrs. Panther. Did you miss me?" He asked in a sauve tone.
He had been gone out of town for a few weeks. I groaned sitting upright.
"Oh yes, I've missed you like I've missed a hairball," I muttered.
He chuckled and I cringed. You see, Henry was one of the many 'possible' husbands my father had chosen for me. Because he was worried his only daughter was going to run off and marry some... house cat. Ya right. I stood up and he strocked my cheek.
"Now, now, Alex. Don't be like that." I quickly grabbed his wrist and twisted his arm up painfully behind his back and threw him to the ground.
"So long, Henry," I scoffed and walked off.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

25 Reviews

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:03 pm
Dragonet says...

>Ok, I'm releasing the dreams now. You can have a vision, or dream, or a sign, or what ever. Some guidelines: You aren't suppose to tell anyone about your dream/vision. All that you know is that you're suppose to go to the council clearing, because you are chosen, and that you'll meet others, or maybe you don't even know that much.<

Cody Blackbear

The dream started out with me standing in front of my house, playing with the children of the village and trying to teach them how to use a bow and arrow. I sent an arrow flying and told the children to chase after it. I watched as they all scrambled in that direction until I couldn't see them any more.

I smiled and turned back around to retrieve another arrow, but I stopped short when I saw a man standing there that hadn't been there a minute ago. When I looked into the man's face, I knew that he must be a great man, high of honor, and I brought my fist to my chest and bowed my head. For his hair was gold and light seemed to come from him. "I am a messenger of Jira," he told me in a radiant voice. I looked up and saw him smiling. "Since birth, you were chosen, Cody, chosen to save your tribe and your country." I glanced down at my armband, where my Charm was hanging. He continued, "Leave now and go down to a place called 'The Council Clearing', there you will meet nine others that are like you. And there is another thing: tell no one of your departure."

"Why must I go? What's going to happen?" I tried not to sound doubtful, but this man was telling me to leave everything and just go, didn't I have the right to know why?

Instead of answering, the messenger turned and looked to the right, as if the answer was there. I followed his gaze. Suddenly, it was very dark, and cold, and in the distance, I could here a deep buzzing sound coming steadily closer. For some reason fear gripped my heart, and I turned back to the messenger to ask him what this meant...but he wasn't there. Instead, what I saw made me catch my breath. It was a scene of terror and destruction. My house, and the rest of the village, was on fire. The buzzing was louder, like it was here. I saw dead men scattering the ground, women screaming in anguish, and children running and crying in terror. Men-dark, evil men- were running around, pillaging my village, and slathering all with out mercy. But I could not see them directly, they were almost blurs, like their faces were hidden from my vision.

I fell to my knees in hopelessness, The voice of the messenger whispered in my ear, "This is only what will happen if you fail." Like that was suppose to make me feel better. Now, the wait of the village was on my shoulders.

Just then, a horse's neigh and I turned to see it rear up with it's front legs pedaling the air above me. I covered my face with my arms and waited for death.

Opening my eyes, I sat up quickly. My legs were tangled in the sheets of my bed and I was sweating and breathing hard. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and ruffled my black hair, like I always do when I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'd heard of the Council Clearing, it was cradled in the very center of Arbido, rumors had it that the kings of each tribe used to join there once a year, under a peace treaty. But now a days the tribes didn't get along so well.

Fumbling around in the darkness, I quickly got dressed into my black bear fur vest and khaki shorts. Grabbing a skin bag, stuffed it with extra clothes, food, and other thing that might come in handy, like flint stone and some coins. I strapped my Dao swords to my hip slipped a dagger into the secret pocket in my leather boots. I was ready.

The night sky was chilly but bright, the full moon will come out tomorrow. As I walked past my uncle's house I hesitated. The man had brought me up and taken care of me, I wanted to tell him where I was going but I remember the messenger's words, "tell no one," and I moved on.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

25 Reviews

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:04 pm
Dragonet says...

Yelir Weasel

I watched as the Byrd girl flew away, her purple wings humming behind her. Long, blond hair flowed over her shoulders.

When I turned back around, I saw that my group had walked ahead with out me, I watched as the last one turned the corner and disappeared from my view. I clenched my fists and was about to follow them when the earth beneath my feet shook and I fell to the ground with an "umph." The ground trembled again and I jarred around. I grasped onto a tree root that was sticking out from the ground and braced myself. Through my hair, that had been tossed into my vision, I saw that the Byrd girl was unharmed by the earthquake, but hovering nervously. Suddenly the earth shook again and I heard a tree branch crack. When I looked up again, I saw that the girl had been pinned underneath a thick tree branch. I quickly ran over, or as quickly as I could with an earth quake going on. "You ok?" I asked, when I finally got to her. She nodded, but struggled to free herself. I placed my hands under the branch and pulled up with all my might, thank Jira it moved and she slipped out from under it. But then she gave out a startled scream as we were both thrown to the ground by another attack.

Just then, the ground split open in front of us. When it did I felt...an unexplained kind of peace. The sun suddenly broke through the clouds and blinded us with light. And a majestic voice seemed to come at us from everywhere. "Follow the moon, it will lead you to the others." My leg felt oddly warm and I looked down to see that my charm was glowing.

Then, the glowing stopped. The hole in the earth closed up. And the rumbling stopped. We were alone in the clearing of trees, me and the girl. My arm was still around her shoulder where it had naturally gone protectively when we had fallen to the ground. My cheeks warmed and I quickly pulled it off. I got up and dusted off my pants. "Did you hear that voice?" the girl asked me as she stood up. I nodded. "We better go check on Mr. Ferret." she said. We walked where I saw him disappear, behind some bushes. We saw him and his men, yards away now, walking as if nothing had happened.

I sprinted to catch up. "Are you guys ok?" I asked. He looked at me like I had just asked him if he wore pink underwear. "The earthquake?" the girl told him. He still looked at us confused.

"Kids," one of the soldiers said, shaking his head. And they walked on. My mouth fell open in disbelief, I would not be treated like this! I was about to march up to them and make them listen when I heard a voice in my head. It was the same voice that I had heard just a moment before, and it said as clear as day, "Tell no one, keep this to yourself." I shut my mouth and looked at the girl. Though she seemed not to have heard it. She looked like she was going to go give those guys a piece of her mind. I grabbed her shoulder to hold her back, and shook my head. "They really didn't feel the earth quake did they?" she asked.

I shrugged, "I guess not. Maybe it was only us? So...what do we do now? The voice said to follow the moon," I looked at the afternoon sky, "but what moon?"

"Maybe we should start tonight?" she said. I nodded, that sounded reasonably enough. Just then I heard my name and I turned to see Ferret calling to me. "I'll meet you tonight, at this place." the girl whispered before flying off.
Last edited by Dragonet on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:38 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Abby Humming

I only stopped into Mr. Sparrow's that day to tell him Mama was still in recovery and I needed to go home. The second he nodded, wham. I was sprint-flying to my treehouse. Chelsea looked up with a quizzical look on her face.

"Where you going, squirt?"

I shrugged. I opened my mouth- Tell no one. I shut it again. "Hike. There's good fruit in the woods." She nodded, almost suspiciously. I whipped into my room without another word.

Our house -or many Byrd houses- didn't have doors, but rather, strings of seeds and dried berries and beads. I had to retreat far back in my room to even hope to not be seen. I grabbed a satchel and started packing- what should I? Um, okay. I tossed in my climbing claws and my slingshot, for starters, and my slingshot, and then an array of fruit. Hummingbird, remember? And then, after much more tossing and folding and franticness, I finally changed into a yellow tunic, with a green belt around it, and simple black leggings, and my boots.

Fitting the slits of my cloak over my wings, then beating them a few times, I plaited my hair and slung my bag across my front. I jotted a note on parchment that I left on the table with a peach:

Mama, Papa, and Chelsea,
I don't know why, but I feel like I need to go farther than the tribe.
It is as if Jira is pushing me forward, and away.
I love you all and will miss you forever-
Love, Abby

Blinking away tears, I swooped out of the house, into the blue-black night, dappled with moonlight from gaps in the leaves, into the Council's Clearing.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:33 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Murdoshi Blueshark:

Startled, my eyes snapped open. I pushed myself up off of my seaweed bed and swam out the window. There was something out there...something drawing me to it as the moon draws water. In an instant, I was sucked down into a pit of darkness. I was about to scream, but for some reason I couldn't. My charm began glowing so brightly it burned my eyes. It grew hot and warmed my skin.

A voice spoke to me Go. And then I was spit back out of the pit. A little confused, I went back into my room through the window. I grabbed only my two whale bone daggers and my bow and arrow. As I went to tell my family I was leaving the voice came back Go. Don't look back. Tell no one. It took every ounce of effort I had, but I fled from the house, swimming as fast as I could.

As I slowed, I asked the mysterious voice "Where do I go?" The Council Clearing "Why must I go?" I asked. The voice responded Since you were born, you were detined for this. You must save the world, with nine others. Still wary, I asked "What will happen if we don't succeed with this task?"

Rather than the voice, they sent me a vision.

An agonizingly loud buzzing sound was all around me. I stood in my village. Everything was destroyed. Houses lay in ruins, bodies lay dead. Children cried for their mothers and fathers until they were slaughtered. Blood was everywhere. The water became thick with it until I could no longer see.

The vision ended and I gasped. "How will I get there?" I whispered. Go to the river. Follow it upstream. It is there that you will find the others. I asked one final question "Who are you?" The Jira.

With that, I surfaced and began swimming to the shore.
Live, Love, Laugh

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:12 pm
TheGreatIthy says...

Lupin Wolf

I had Beagle exactly where I wanted him when the arena suddenly burst into flames. The sky turned black with smock and the entire village seemed to turn red. Beagle was frozen in place in front of me and I was unable to move. My village was on fire and I couldn't move. What sort of fighter was I? I couldn't think straight. A loud buzzing noise seemed to surround me and completely blocked my thought process. Just over top of that, I could make out Timberwolf's voice. It was in battle. Screaming in pain and anger. The clang of weaponry drowned out the buzzing for a moment, but it came back and blocked off Timberwolf completely. Then his body flew out from the smock and landed right in front of me. His eyes were glazed over and a large hole was in his chest. Right where his heart should have been. Timberwolf was dead.

"Timberwolf!!!" I shouted. My voice seemed to break whatever the vision was and the fire disappeared along with Timberwolf's body. Beagle and I unfroze from our positions and I continued to charge at him but I was distracted from what had just happened and I didn't notice that Beagle had dodged me and was behind me. He kicked me hard in the back sending me to the ground and the next thing I knew, his blade was at my face, but his eyes were far from content. He was concerned.

"Was that a new battlecry?" Beagle asked, "If so, it needs some work. Are you alright?"

Tell no one.

Tell no one? Of course not! I had not made it a habit to tell people things that made me look crazy. Besides, I had no clue what I had just saw or where the voice had come from. I stood up and faced Beagle.

"Look," I said, "I'm a bit tired, I'm just going to go home now." Beagle nodded and I turned and exited the arena and proceeded to go in the exact opposite direction of my house. I knew that, but the way I was going just felt right.

"Your house is the other way!" Beagle shouted but made no attempt to follow and I appreciated that. I sheathed my rapier and continued towards the exit of the village.

You are to go to the Council Clearing and meet 9 others. You can prevent what you have just witnessed.

The voice made no sense, yet perfect sense at the same time. I had no clue where the council clearing was or what it was, but I just kept on walking anyways down the path that just felt right. Perhaps the voice was right, and if I had any chance of stopping what I had seen, then the council clearing was where I was going to go. If by chance I did go crazy, then it would be better for the village to forget me anyways. I exited the village and just kept on walking to the place I hoped existed.
Bees: They sting because they love!!

Will review for food!

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:49 am
SisterItaly says...

Alex Panther

I walked all the way home and plopped down in the long grass in our back yard.

What are you doing sleeping, when the meadow is on fire?

I quickly sat up and looked around, the feild around me was on fire, and my house behind me as well. I screamed and ran into the house. The inside was burning worse then the outside. I screamed and ran through the house, I couldn't find anyone. A buzzing sound filled the air, and then I heard a sharp crack. One of the main beams was going to come down on me!

I blinked and was sitting back out behind my house, covered in sweat.

To prevent this from happening, go to the council clearing.

I quickly jumped up and ran towards the clearing, not telling anyone where I was going, or why.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:31 am
Light_Devil! says...

Spoiler! :
I'm a little confused as to what I should post...?
Dynamic Duo AWAY!!!

A computer once beat me at chess. It was no match for me at kick boxing.

"I wish Homer was my father," - Ned's son.
"And I wish you didn't have Satan's curly red hair," - Ned Flanders.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:34 am
Apple says...

Me too. :D
I spy!

25 Reviews

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:30 pm
Dragonet says...

Well, everyone is getting their vision/dream from Jira, and some are already starting on their journey to the Council Clearing, where everyone is meeting.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

I'm officially making it my goal in life to become a roomba. I want to be little robot. I want knives taped to me. I want to be free.
— TheMulticoloredCyr