z

Young Writers Society

The Chosen [Started!]

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:50 pm
Sins says...

((Everyone's posted like racoons on acid. :shock: I'll try and bring my guy in... Is it all right if Finn isn't actually in the group yet? If not, I can change my post.))

Finn Franchot // 'Ash' // 11:15 PM

I stared carefully at the two guys as they knocked on the iron door to one of the old houses. I recognised the both of them, although I knew the one better than the other. Zeki, I think his name was. I'd seen the other one around quite a bit. He had striking silver hair; obviously a psychic. The silver haired boy knocked on the door in a certain rhythm before muttering something into it. Moments later, Zeki and the other boy were inside. Weird.

Shutting my eyes, I sighed heavily as I slid myself down the wall of another old house. I was in the shadows so, thankfully, no one could see me. I'd heard about some kind of escape gang but I hadn't bothered asking around. It wasn't as though I was good for anything. What could I do with my power? Be a rabbit for an hour. How useful. Powers were overrated anyway. What was so awesome about being some kind of freak?

I'd decided that I was going to sleep here tonight; it was interesting watching people coming in and out of the house that was yards away from the one I was at. It wasn't that I didn't like people. Heck, people were great. It was just that I only ended up pissing them off and epically wrecking everything. Besides, some of the guys that I saw entering the house looked a bit weird. Mind you, were in a city of weirdos. What did I expect? I couldn't help but chuckle to myself at the thought. I needed to talk t someone. Soon. Not to discuss anythign specific, just to discuss something. Otherwise, I'd turn into a complete nutter.

Right, that's it, spazface, I thought to myself, standing up as I opened my eyes. Go and check out what those guys are doing. Obeying my inner thoughts, I grabbed my jacket before pulling it on. To put it bluntly, my jacket smelt like crap. Not even the slight smell of urine that wafted from the streets covered up the smell of my jacket. I grinned at my stench as I moved out of the shadows, checking that no one else was around.

As I neared the doorway, I noticed some chick sitting on the floor. I think she was mumbling to herself or something... Oh well. She looked up at me and muttered something. I let a small chuckle escape from my mouth. Breathing in deeply, I raised my hand and knocked on the hard, iron door in the same rhythmic motion I'd heard earlier. I glanced back into the shadows where I had come from, considering going back. Before I had the chance to think about it, I heard a quiet, rather agitated sounding voice on the other end of the door.

"Yes?" the girl spoke quietly.

Yes? What was I supposed to say to that? No? Maybe? Your face? The girl suddenly spoke again.

"Password?"

Oh... I was screwed. Since when was there a password? I cursed under my breath as I realised that when someone leaned in closer to the door, they were obviously saying the password. I bit my lip, thinking quickly.

"Grab your coat, love. You've pulled." I replied.

Couldn't go wrong with a chat up line, eh?
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

213 Reviews

Reviews: 213
Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 pm
View Likes
SporkPunk says...

Troy Callahan//Nolan//11:18 PM

Okay, so dish-girl was kind of a weirdo, even by Nox standards. I could deal with that. In fact, I found it interesting. Her push to the side did catch me, but only because I wasn't on my guard. Rather than being irritated about being pushed by a girl, I was vaguely amused. I hurried after her, because that was better than killing time by messing with the Nocturne's rifles. And possibly more dangerous.

I clambered onto the fire escape, "Hey! Wait up!" At this moment,I noticed my voice's natural tone was almost harsh. It made me smirk.

She turned around, looking surprised.
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

REVIEWS FOR YOU | | Uprising (coming soon!)

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:44 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Cassidy/ Boomer/ 11: 19 PM

Ack, ack, ack. BAAAAD. Exactly three people knew I lived here, and one of them was me. My headphones were fully off now, blasting Anberlin.

You're sick, sick as all the secrets that you deny.

I whimpered and scuttled back, fumbling at the doorknob... well, above me. When it wouldn't even rattle, I made an impromptu plan b. As the song switched to Never Take Friendship Personal, I leapt up and threw myself out the window, landing hard against the metal, and stumbled down two steps before a muscled arm yanked me back.

"Are you insane?!" the boy was hissing. By means of reply, I squirmed and tried to lunge back to the landing. But dreams are so intoxicating... when you're doing this alone. More lyrics leaked into the chilly air, with me pushing myself onto the fire escape, feet pressed against the outside wall, the boy inside, gripping my shoulders. I mumbled an ow and bit my lip before deciding.

I threw my voice out, making it high, high, high, without my lips parting. No proof. Nothing could be heard but a faint whine for half a second before my vocals gave way, and the boy's arms did too, flying to his ears. Suddenly guilty, I climbed back in the window and dragged him to a corner, propping him up and pushing a big chair in front of him in a feeble attempt to block his escapade. Once the ringing in his ears stopped.

Oh, I was so confused. And bad. And just messed up.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

213 Reviews

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:20 pm
SporkPunk says...

Troy Callahan/Nolan/11:21 PM

Holy mother of Nox...what is that noise? My hands covered my ears and I could focus only on that terrible pitch. I closed my eyes and tried to daydream this place away. Before that though, I made sure the window was shut--stuck--so that she couldn't try to jump out again.

---

The ringing slowly faded. I opened my eyes again, finding myself stuck in a corner behind a chair. A very weak attempt to block my escape. "Okay, this is getting really weird. Mind explaining to me what you think you're doing?"

I pushed the chair away, but stayed where I was. I didn't know what to expect from her.
Last edited by SporkPunk on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grasped by the throat, grasped by the throat. That's how I feel about love. That it's not worth it.

57 Reviews

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:44 pm

Cassidy/ Boomer/ 11: 21

I wrung my hands. Kanye West had come on, drowning me in comforting beats and simple melodies. I cranked it, making the boy wince. Still slumped in the corner. I started pacing. Should I? Shouldn't I? Couldn't I?

... Could I?

I guess every superhero need his own theme music; no one man should have all that power. The clock's ticking, I just count the hours. Stop tripping- I'm tripping over the power.

I could, couldn't I?

"Okay. My name's Cassidy. And I really, really need you to not be here."

"Why?"

"... Because I'd get in huge-o trouble."

"And?"

I whined in the back of my throat and almost used the ultra-pitch again, before seeing he was still horridly off balance, and felt bad again. I just cranked the headphones and paced.

"C'mon, Cassidy. What's wrong with hanging out with people your age?"

I raised a very skeptic eyebrow and tried to focus on the underlying melody of the song. One, two... ooone, two. I counted in my head, trying to figure out whether to just shatter the glass (easy peasy) and run, or stay in the safehouse and risk this... dude running of and telling Eden.

WAAAAAAH.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

213 Reviews

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:28 am
SporkPunk says...

Troy/Nolan/11:24 PM

I looked around, panicking. The last time I heard a siren like that was when I entered Nox, and this silvery fox showed up. It was so bright that night...I turned away, and wished all the Nocturne soldiers were gone. I wanted them to stop. I thought so hard about stopping them, and something happened. When they fired their weapons, nothing happened. I realized then that I was the one causing the malfunction. I couldn't stop it for long though. I remember falling back and the silvery light fading away.

"What's happening?" I shouted over the shrill noise.

I looked out the window--no scuffling happening outside, no people running in fear. So it wasn't the Nocturnes. In fact, it had to be coming from this room. This...my eyes met hers.

She was Chosen, after all. And she did have those headphones.

"Stop that," I spat, half-bluffing.

She looked at me, puzzled. "Stop what?"

"That siren sound. Nobody's freaking out outside...and it's not me. So stop."

"It's not me."

"Yeah, and I'm not doing this." Without stepping forward, I seized control of her mp3 player, accessing the library with a flick of my index finger and playing one of the sample tunes---silly bluegrass music.
Last edited by SporkPunk on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:36 am
Lethero says...

Zeki Zumun - The Hacker - 11:30pm

I plucked the cellphone out of Tobi's hands before he could do anything with it. "What the hell you doing?" he asked as I clicked away on the buttons.

"Guard's cell phone," I simply replied. "Be back in a few seconds." Suddenly, the HQ room disappeared in blackness, and then I found my cell in a long white hallway covered in doors. I looked around at name plates on the door, and say obvious ones like contacts, menu, and photos, but soon I saw what I was looking for.

I walked up to the door that had a nameplate that read, "Wireless". I reached for knob, and pulled finding it locked. As if projected by a hologram, a screen appeared in front of me with the password flashing before it. I nearly laughed as I saw it, and used my highly sophisticated password that opens all locks for me in the realm of the computer: "Open the damn door!"

The door opened by itself revealing another long hallway with many doors that read CCTV monitors, guard radio frequencies, armory lock, and many more that I believed we could find useful. I smiled and stepped out of the hallway and back into reality.

"What did you see?" Tobi asked when I saw me come to.

"You're going to like this," I said setting down the phone and began to explain to him what I saw.
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

57 Reviews

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:43 am

Cassidy/ Boomer/ 11: 32

Oh, shoot. I hadn't even realized I was doing it this time.

"Sorry," I mumbled. He smirked. I scowled.

"And, uh, future reference, I don't like being called Cassidy."

"So... what are you called?"

"Cass, mainly. And..."

"And?"

I shifted. "And Boomer."

"Boomer."

I cracked a smile. "Boom." I said softly. A shock wave rippled out around me, and the boy toppled. I giggled at myself and eased into my bed.

"So."

"So, yourself."

You know what? When one of us wasn't running, or making the other wince at unexplained noises, things got awkward. Real awkward, real quick.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

213 Reviews

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:52 am
SporkPunk says...

[bTroy/Nolan/11:31pm[/b]

I stood up, brushing the back of my pants off. "You're not gonna try that again, are you?"

"Not if you leave my music alone."

"Fair enough," I nodded, staring down at my shoes. I still held the Spiderman comic and book in my right hand.

"What did you say your name was again?"

"I didn't."

"Well, then, what is it?" Her brow was furrowed as if she was deep in thought.

"Troy. But you might know me better as Nolan," I tried to sound casual, but it wasn't often I gave out anything personal other than my ID number.

She shrugged noncommittally. "I've heard things about some dude named Nolan."

"Like what?"

57 Reviews

Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:08 am

Cassidy / Boomer/ 11: 32

I shrugged and swung my legs over the side of my bed. Niiice and comfy.

"That he's blunt. Takes chances he shouldn't. That-" I dropped my voice- "no one's ever seen his eyes."

He laughed. "Close."

"But no cigar?"

"Maybe a cigarette."

I nodded knowingly and tapped the volume up. Out of boredom, I repeated back, "Maybe a cigarette." in his voice, to the note exactly. He did an almost-double take. I smiled. "Part of the package," I continued in his voice.

"Oh, that's just freaky."

"Sound freak speaking." I returned to my voice. Still beaming, I demoed some more. Kiss me and I'll wake up- a Basement Jaxx song- I took and altered so it was more like Kiiiss me an I'll w-w-w-ak-k-k-e u-u-u-u-p.

"Instant remix? Cool!"

I grinned. It was the first time since before Nox I'd been able to show off without Rochelle gaping or having to keep a guard out for Miss Laurie.

"Feels nice," I repeated, in a dead on impression of the friendliest Nocturne I'd met, mainly because he was smitten with Miss Laurie and also smitten with her mojitos. Or maybe his programming had been spilled on.

Or something to that effect.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:50 am
retrodisco666 says...

Eric thomas/ Neptune

"Fine, I won't call you that. . . but the what should I call you?" I asked her.
She bit her lip. I asked your name, I didn't ask you if you could eat through the gates of this place I though.
"Black Rose." he said.
"Black Rose? Ha, okay then you can call me Neptune" I replied. A fiery look seemed to surf across her eyes, a warning perhaps.

I looked around the derelict room. We were meant to be planning an escape and so far for the last three meetings all we have done is just sit here and do nothing. I think fear overrides us more than anything else. I turned back to Black Rose, she was deep in thought about something.
"Got any ideas on how to get out?" I asked her. She snapped back to reality.
"Wha-"She started
"Ideas on how to get out. Got any?" I said quickly.
"Don't we all" She said with a half hearted smile. I nodded slowly, agreeing with her. Soon, one of those plans needs to be put into place
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:11 am
Pernicious says...

Remorse Ford | Friction

Evidently, Remorse's eyelids began to throb and flutter, indicating she was moments from waking up after her brief sleep. Undoubtedly, she was trying to remain asleep, but this failed, for within a few seconds she was staring up at the pasty ceiling. Sitting up, she caught sight of Zeki going for the phone.

Her features were each uniquely rotated into angles of interest as Zeki took hold of the phone. Her eyes were fixed onto his intreged pupils; her head gradually turning as he moved along the room. Once he was out of view, she respired again, at a loss as to what to do next.

The past few days had been like this. Boredom. Silence. But today she thought would be the start of something different. It was more fun. There was less guards. Had Nox lost some workers? If this was true, maybe the following days could get better and more fun. Toying with a guard and stealing his phone was just minor fun; imagine what else she could do with her ability. Seeing a guard in pain was what she longed for after seeing a girl with barbaric wounds all over her.

Nearly all the guards had something electrical on them, so she could send their electrical machines crazy and electracute them.

Out of boredom, she began to flick molecules of debris and refuse at Tobi. He was sort of like a brother to her, and towards any brother she would fling stuff at him. As Zeki reentered the room with an extended smirk, she was keen the hear what he had discovered. It was obvious he had discovered something, otherwise he wouldn't have had such a big smile.
"Lost time is never found again."

-Benjamin Franklin

Reviews: 0
Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:39 am
PikaPika says...

Ayden Asworth // Cyclone // 11:34

She looked up seeing a dark figure hovering not that far from her. I’m sure he was looking at me just there.. She thought before shrugging the thought off.

She turned her head to the side to listen though the door. Voices, none that she recognised, they sounded almost like guard noises to her for a minute.

‘I should really get up now but...’ She trailed off as she head footsteps. ‘Please don’t let it be another guard walking past.’ she muttered into herself.

She shifted her body into a position more uncomfortable, but meaning she was more or less in the dark. Putting her head back against a wall or whatever was behind her, she lifted her hand again, poking the large wound on her head before licking the finger she poked it with.

A voice drifted over to her, waking her up, ‘Did I not tell you to go to your bed?’ It was the guard, of whom she got caught by earlier.

‘Ehh, I was, then I don’t know where I am exactly..’

He grunted before grabbing her arm and pulling her roughly to another house, on the other end of the street.’ You better remember where you are next time.’ He muttered darkly to her.

‘I would if it wasn’t so dark.’ she muttered to herself sarcastically.

‘Oh, don’t get sarcastic with me. I can easily beat you up right here; right now.’

They stopped walking and he chucked her at a door, before walking off with a loud grunt. She whacked into the door with a loud thud, before exclaiming a loud ‘ouch’ due to the force she hit it at.
Never say never..

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:04 pm
Moo says...

*Just a note, Tobi's father's Order name is Regal. Most will call him by this to save confusion between him and his son.

Tobi Smith // 'Psyche' // 12:00 PM

He waited for Zeki to inform him of what he had seen, somewhat impatiently. With every revelation his muscles tensed and jumped, begging him for action. They had the code.

"You're kidding," he gasped, springing to his feet. "This means-"

"We've got out ticket out of here." The glint in Zeki's eye caused Tobi's spirits to soar further towards euphoria. We're getting out. Before he could let a whoop of excitement bellow from his lungs, his father had already made his way into the room. Every man and woman in the room feel silent under his entrance. His silvered hair was drenched in dingy, yellow light as he sank into his chair, resting his bristled chin on his fist. His emerald eyes cast a brief headcount over the room, a spark of anger flashing over the murky green pools. They were missing some tonight.

Tobi cast a quick look downwards as Remorse entertained herself miring him in various debris she had been picking off the floor. With a wry grin he lifted her off the floor by the wrist, squeezing himself into the arm of the chair he was sitting in, in order to accommodate some space for her. There was no time to speak, his father was already beginning the meeting.

"Nice to have some of you here. We will waste no time with chatting," he said, irritation dripping from his voice. His voice rose over the heads of those present; it was loud and strong, demanding both respect and attention. He got both without having to ask. "You've been patient, friends, and we will be rewarded. The time to strike will come soon. But first, that pass-code is the gate to our freedom, and-"

"We've got the code."

"Sorry?"

Tobi cast a slightly irritated glance towards Zeki, plucking the phone from his grasp with his mind. It zoomed across the murky air and into Tobi's fist, where he secured it in a tight grasp. "Actually... Remorse managed to steal a Guard's phone. Zeki managed to extract it from the internal memory."

An excited, nonsensical babble exploded amongst the Chosen present, some of them rising excitedly off their seats to congratulate Remorse. Tobi dejectedly turned to her, forcing his best smile. "Well done, Rem." He hoped it looked genuine. Though he was happy for her discovery, it had left himself feeling useless once more. Another had succeeded where he had failed.

Regal asked for quiet, and the congregated Chosen gave it to him instantly. "This changes things," he murmured quietly, rapping his fingernails noisily against the wooden arm of his chair. "Listen," he suddenly said after a few moments silence, his sharp eyes knifing through the gloom. "This does not mean we strike now. The last thing we need to be doing is rushing out there, guns blazing, trying to knock down that gate. It will not happen."

Disappointment settled into a grim weight in Tobi's chest. It was expected, but hit him just as hard none the less. He yearned to feel the sun on his skin again, like he did when he was younger, when he tumbled in the garden with his older brother. "When?" his voice sounded dry and cracked with impatience as he turned his gaze towards his father.

The Order members shifted uncomfortably on their seats, the wood squeaking loudly under their weight. Regal looked towards him with a hard gaze. "You know escape is not our only mission, Pysche. We must take Eden down, whether we die in here trying, or not." Tobi averted his gaze submissively under his father's stare, alongside with a gentle sigh of conceding.

"We're low on numbers, Regal. It would be..." Remorse broke off with a short glance towards Tobi.

"Impossible," Tobi finished, the grim reality of it causing his shoulders to sag with defeat. He laid his head in his hand with a gruff sigh.

He heard his father wheeze with laughter. "Impossible... now. But I have a plan." Tobi's head shot up, straining his ears hopefully. "We'll need help... And the residents of Caine are more than willing. They've contacted me though our young Hacker's PDA. They have offered their full support to us in our campaign." The air was ambient with broken tension, cheers and claps sounding from the Order members. Regal grinned lopsidedly, allowing them to subside naturally. "We'll have further news from them tomorrow... until then, we will have several recon missions underfoot in case the Nocturne Guard hear it first." He smacked his palms on the arms of his chair, causing several to jolt and snap out of their brief daydreams of freedom. Tobi's lips pulled into a wry grin. "And I have some scouting jobs for those interested..."

*Tobi will be on recon duty, as usual. It's up to you lot what you'd rather have your character do, Scout or Recon. I think we should wrap up today, and move on to the next. Keep the pace going. I'll give you guys a few posts to get your characters home and tucked up in bed. xD*
“Poetry is old, ancient, goes back far. It is among the oldest of living things. So old it is that no man knows how and why the first poems came.”

--Carl Sandburg

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:14 pm
gsppcrocks10 says...

Maia, or Lavender.

She'd volunteered to help with the reconnaissance, though Denys had been protesting the entire time. "Don't be stupid!" he'd said, "you could be killed!"

She'd ignored him, of course.

She wanted to help, and if scouting was the best way to do it, so be it. She hated feeling useless.

"You idiot! Do you have any idea what you've just done?"

"I've agreed to help people that want to get out like me." To anyone else it would seem that she was merely speaking to the air.

"Yes, but what happens when you die? You won't be helping anyone then!"

"Shut up Denys," she snapped.

He grumbled to himself, but fell silent.
Just another quack spouting psychobabble.

"If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm mad. That's the way history is written."

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer